Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Questions Re: Beating Video Games

(This post was last modified: 06-21-2018, 06:11 PM by Bullseye.)

(06-19-2018, 02:29 PM)pirkster Wrote:
(06-15-2018, 05:27 PM)Bullseye Wrote: 1.  Was that the old Atari 2600 Riddle of the Sphinx?  if not, what system?

2.  Is this the stand up arcade game, or Mike Tyson's Punchout?  I actually beat both, and both were quite satisfying.  Both were challenging, very fun to play, and in the case of the stand up arcade game, I did it in front of one of my very good friends who used to root for me to fail at most video games, and he cheered when I beat the champ!  Of course, once you beat Mr. Sandman, they cycled through the opponents again, and Glass joe kicked my butt the second time around.  Punchout was one of those games that just "clicked" with me.

3.  I heard Halo was very easy.

I was only mildly disappointed with the ending of TLOU.  L.A. Noire's ending infuriated me.

BTW, Pirk, did you ever get any of the Far Cry games?

Yes... Riddle was 2600.

Mike Tyson/NES was the one I played.  I had forgotten that began as a coin op.  Going back to coin op opens things up even farther... Dragon's Lair was probably the most frustrating/most rewarding to finish.  Some of the cut scenes dropped you in to the next puzzle so fast it was hard to get the timing down and some moves didn't seem to make sense.  But if you could finish it (or watching someone finish it) was a real treat at the time.

Nope, never did get any Far Cry.  I don't think there's only a couple PS4 versions, and I might check them out later as the price drops used.

Contra was a NES game I found pretty rewarding.  Double Dragon was another cooperative game that was a load of fun (Genesis and coin op.)
Besides the rare sports game that enabled you to play against the computer, or a game like Raiders of the Lost Ark, there was often no beating a 2600 game.  You just played and played with no real end point other than beating fatigue and your previous high score.

Despite these flaws and the obvious graphics limitations, I still had lots of fun with the system.  I have been tempted on occasion to get one of the retro systems, but never pulled the trigger.

(06-21-2018, 08:18 AM)Deacon Wrote:
(06-13-2018, 09:54 PM)Bullseye Wrote: The title says it all...

1. If there were one game you played frequently but never beat and now wish you could beat, what game would that be?  Why didn't you beat it?

2.  Which game did you find the most satisfying to beat?  Why?

3.  Which game did you find least satisfying to beat?  

1. Final Fantasy 8 - A lot of my friends played 7 and they loved it, but for some reason I couldn't get into it. The characters were too "cartoony" and ridiculous. But when 8 came out, it was more to my liking. I would spend hours on that game and I rolled right through it. But! I got to the very end and passed a "no turning back" point and I was ridiculously under-powered for the last boss. She would pretty much one-shot me at will. Maybe I can find a way to replay that one sometime.

2. Bloodborne - This was my first foray into the Dark Souls / From Software arena and the game had me hooked from the beginning. But! That game is hard and it really will spoil other games for you. When I beat that game, I realized that I had finally Got Gud and developed the skills to beat it. Honestly, cannot recommend this game enough.

3. Enslaved; Journey to the West - Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed playing this game. Very good story and a unique set of mechanics, but the ending was just ... meh. I wasn't even upset at it, more like underwhelmed. I wanted more from the end than what I got.
I think I had the same issues with the Final Fantasy series, which is why I didn't buy any of them.

I know you have talked up Bloodborne quite a bit, but I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

Would you describe it as action, horror...or what?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Messages In This Thread
Questions Re: Beating Video Games - by Bullseye - 06-13-2018, 09:54 PM
RE: Questions Re: Beating Video Games - by Bullseye - 06-21-2018, 06:06 PM
RE: Questions Re: Beating Video Games - by Deacon - 06-22-2018, 09:45 AM
RE: Questions Re: Beating Video Games - by Deacon - 07-06-2018, 03:37 PM
RE: Questions Re: Beating Video Games - by Mikey - 07-10-2018, 08:40 AM
RE: Questions Re: Beating Video Games - by Kane - 07-12-2018, 03:06 PM
RE: Questions Re: Beating Video Games - by Kane - 07-13-2018, 09:36 AM
RE: Questions Re: Beating Video Games - by Kane - 07-19-2018, 01:38 PM
RE: Questions Re: Beating Video Games - by Deacon - 06-21-2018, 08:18 AM
RE: Questions Re: Beating Video Games - by Kane - 06-22-2018, 08:57 AM