Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Questions Re: Beating Video Games

(06-28-2018, 11:58 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I thought about making this into an entirely new thread, but since it's about beating video games, I decided to add these questions here.

These questions involve, for lack of better phrasing, video game ethics.

If you get off to a bad start in a game do you have any qualms about re-starting the game?  For example, if you are playing Madden, and because you hit the wrong button on a pass play, you end up throwing a pick 6, do you play through or would you restart the game?  Why?  

If it is a sports game, if it became obvious you were going to lose, would you restart then to keep the loss off your record or play through the schedule?  Would your answer change if it were a playoff game?  What about a computer opponent vs. an online opponent or a friend at your house?

Do you buy/use video game guides?

Do you have any problems using "cheat codes" in games that give you things like unlimited lives, ammo, invulnerability, etc?

If you get stuck, do you have any qualms about going online and looking at a walk through?

If you believe in "going it alone" without any help of any kind, why?

Restarting - I used to be more of a "purist" when I was young and felt it was blasphemy to hit the reset button.  Now, I have zero concern about restarting a game (though only when playing solo.)  In the end, it's just a game and shouldn't be taken too seriously.  It's meant to be enjoyed.

Sports game - same rule applies above.  When I'm playing dynasty (or whatever they call that mode now) I simulate all the games on Madden because I prefer the management.  I do each game one at a time so I can assign experience points/progression manually.  So, if an obviously bad sim is thrown my way, I'll certainly do it if the outcome matters.  BUT... if my team is shaky due to injuries and/or doesn't match up well... I'm not going to keep simming it until I upset a team I shouldn't realistically beat.  I also don't reset/replay games if I get a significant injury to a key player as that's a realistic part of the game.  I typically shoot for "make the playoffs" if my team is a contender, so risk of being fired in an down season isn't really a thing.  With a "make the playoffs" goal you only need 8 wins - you don't actually have to make the playoffs (just qualify.)

Guides - I will occasionally buy guides for the big games.  (GTA series, etc.)  With the internet, you really don't need them as that information is usually available on the net.  Youtube, gamefaq, etc... all have content up pretty quickly.  I do enjoy the guides for games that are bigger than the missions where you can find a lot of easter eggs and do fun things that are off the beaten path.  I've never bought one for a sports game, only the big open world games.

I usually don't use cheat codes until I've beaten a game through.  I use them for fun, not for handicapping the game to beat it.

I have no problem at all checking youtube, etc for a hint when I get stuck.  Again, my aim is to have fun.  If a puzzle or onslaught isn't fun anymore, I don't continue to pound myself.  Usually all I need is one quick hint and I get back to the game rather than watch the full play through.  Usually I'm not seeing a door, walkway, vantage point, or it might be that I don't have an item I need to use, etc.  Something I'm just skipping over.  I never want to let a game frustrate me, as I don't want to enjoy it less.

I typically do like to try to go at it alone as much as I can.  Checking for hints is typically a last resort only.  Again, I like to balance the serious with the fun.  If I take the game too seriously sometimes I catch myself losing some of the fun.  I'm always trying to keep that in check and have a healthy balance of the two.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Messages In This Thread
Questions Re: Beating Video Games - by Bullseye - 06-13-2018, 09:54 PM
RE: Questions Re: Beating Video Games - by Deacon - 06-22-2018, 09:45 AM
RE: Questions Re: Beating Video Games - by Deacon - 07-06-2018, 03:37 PM
RE: Questions Re: Beating Video Games - by Mikey - 07-10-2018, 08:40 AM
RE: Questions Re: Beating Video Games - by Kane - 07-12-2018, 03:06 PM
RE: Questions Re: Beating Video Games - by Kane - 07-13-2018, 09:36 AM
RE: Questions Re: Beating Video Games - by Kane - 07-19-2018, 01:38 PM
RE: Questions Re: Beating Video Games - by Deacon - 06-21-2018, 08:18 AM
RE: Questions Re: Beating Video Games - by Kane - 06-22-2018, 08:57 AM
RE: Questions Re: Beating Video Games - by Kane - 06-29-2018, 09:33 AM