Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Questions Re: Beating Video Games

(06-22-2018, 09:45 AM)Deacon Wrote:
(06-21-2018, 06:06 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Besides the rare sports game that enabled you to play against the computer, or a game like Raiders of the Lost Ark, there was often no beating a 2600 game.  You just played and played with no real end point other than beating fatigue and your previous high score.

Despite these flaws and the obvious graphics limitations, I still had lots of fun with the system.  I have been tempted on occasion to get one of the retro systems, but never pulled the trigger.

I think I had the same issues with the Final Fantasy series, which is why I didn't buy any of them.

I know you have talked up Bloodborne quite a bit, but I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

Would you describe it as action, horror...or what?

I've heard Bloodborne described as "If Dark Souls is a love letter to Berserk, then Bloodborne is a poem written to Lovecraft" and I agree with that. It is dark, macabre and hints at things that are unsettling. The game is creepy with "jump back!" moments and "Oooohhhh shhhhiiiiiiitttt" scenes to spare. 

One thing the story is not going to be though is wrapped up in a neat, tidy bow at the end. And not in the sense of "well, I'll just wait for the sequel I guess" either. More like "there are other parts of the story left, aren't there? Because, what about [that guy/thing/place]?" It is incomplete with a deep sense of a dark past that I love. 

The game play is stamina based and that is only a part of what makes it so much fun to me. You can't wade in and start swinging and just decimate the bad guys. Nor can you just strike, block and then back away; You'll be chewed up underneath the more aggressive opponents and it'll feel like they haven't even broken a sweat. 

And I haven't even talked about the scenery and visualizations in the game. Just walking through Byrgenwerth is a site for the eyes!

Have I gushed enough yet?
I'm not sure if Bloodborne qualifies, but I never really got into horror gaming.  I played and beat a couple of horror games on PC in the 1990s, but that's about it.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Messages In This Thread
Questions Re: Beating Video Games - by Bullseye - 06-13-2018, 09:54 PM
RE: Questions Re: Beating Video Games - by Deacon - 06-22-2018, 09:45 AM
RE: Questions Re: Beating Video Games - by Bullseye - 07-06-2018, 11:14 AM
RE: Questions Re: Beating Video Games - by Deacon - 07-06-2018, 03:37 PM
RE: Questions Re: Beating Video Games - by Mikey - 07-10-2018, 08:40 AM
RE: Questions Re: Beating Video Games - by Kane - 07-12-2018, 03:06 PM
RE: Questions Re: Beating Video Games - by Kane - 07-13-2018, 09:36 AM
RE: Questions Re: Beating Video Games - by Kane - 07-19-2018, 01:38 PM
RE: Questions Re: Beating Video Games - by Deacon - 06-21-2018, 08:18 AM
RE: Questions Re: Beating Video Games - by Kane - 06-22-2018, 08:57 AM