Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

(12-13-2018, 02:04 AM)lastonealive Wrote:
(12-12-2018, 10:28 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Life expectancy is not just a function of health care quality. But you're programed to accept government control of your life like a good little subject. I know who is winning from your situation.

Certainly not you guys who pay more for the same drugs.

Certainly not you guys who die from cancer waiting to see an oncologist.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-13-2018, 08:17 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-13-2018, 02:04 AM)lastonealive Wrote: Certainly not you guys who pay more for the same drugs.

Certainly not you guys who die from cancer waiting to see an oncologist.

You know that happens here too, right?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(12-13-2018, 10:52 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(12-13-2018, 08:17 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Certainly not you guys who die from cancer waiting to see an oncologist.

You know that happens here too, right?

Rarely and while here it's sometimes based on willingness or ability to pay, in their system it's a cost-containment strategy.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 12-13-2018, 12:51 PM by homebiscuit.)

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/day-thankf...52954.html

Btw, the more aggressive treatment plan was simply surgery.

(12-13-2018, 12:49 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: https://sports.yahoo.com/news/day-thankf...52954.html

Btw, the more aggressive treatment plan was simply surgery.

Wow.
Assuming this article quotes the Australian doctors correctly, the surgery she got in Ohio has already extended her life by 12 months compared to the forecast that the Australian doctors gave. She was supposed to be dead sometime in January 2018. I see another article that says the surgery was so successful that she does not need chemotherapy.

We should remember that in America, doctors and insurance plans do similar calculations when they decide whether to offer surgeries and whether to pay for them. however if you are willing and able to pay upfront, you can usually go against their advice in America. In England and in Canada it is not possible to pay more and get the care you want. All of the doctors work for the same organization and that organization owns all the hospitals. But in most of western Europe and Latin america, it is possible because some of the hospitals and doctors operate privately. I don't know how it works in Australia.

(This post was last modified: 12-13-2018, 09:44 PM by lastonealive.)

And yet we live longer...

I suppose that's a good example of when American healthcare is probably the besy though. When you are a multimillionaire.

(12-13-2018, 09:43 PM)lastonealive Wrote: And yet we live longer...

Okay, largely homogeneous, small population, trickle immigration country, we hear ya.

What would population size have to do with anything?

You haven't been to Australia judging by the other comments though.

(This post was last modified: 12-13-2018, 10:23 PM by mikesez.)

(12-13-2018, 10:04 PM)lastonealive Wrote: What would population size have to do with anything?

Population size really has nothing to do with it. when you have more people to take care of, you also have more people to take care of them.

The diversity thing is a legitimate concern though.
people typically favor programs that are designed to pool resources, until they start to believe that some of those in the pool are playing dirty tricks. And people are typically willing to play honestly as they participate in these kinds of pools, but once they start to believe that the people running them are not like them and don't care about them, they will try to squeeze all the benefits they can get out. and it's typically when people don't look like you or talk like you or maybe they live far away from you and have different ancestry, that you start to have these suspicions

One time I called out a close older friend of mine because I thought he was committing unemployment fraud, claiming unemployment but not looking for a job. He said maybe he was, but it shouldn't matter because he had paid an unemployment tax for years and, you know, "those people" were always abusing the system and why shouldn't he.

Yeah thing is Australia has a far higher proportion of immigrants than the US does. More than a quarter of the population were born overseas...

Damn clueless pommy up in here.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(12-13-2018, 11:25 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Yeah thing is Australia has a far higher proportion of immigrants than the US does. More than a quarter of the population were born overseas...

Right.  A diverse population doesn't automatically give social distrust. 
There are two differences that are important.  One is that Australia is an island and it's not really possible to "sneak" to Australia via boat.  The MV Tampa incident shows that Australia has never been afraid to turn people away.  It is much harder to get into Australia without permission compared to the US.
But, perhaps more importantly, Australia has always treated new settlers equally.  They never made some of them slaves and some of them free based on skin color.  The US hasn't done that either for over a hundred years, but it takes time for that kind of social discord to heal.

(12-14-2018, 11:21 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(12-13-2018, 11:25 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Yeah thing is Australia has a far higher proportion of immigrants than the US does. More than a quarter of the population were born overseas...

Right.  A diverse population doesn't automatically give social distrust. 
There are two differences that are important.  One is that Australia is an island and it's not really possible to "sneak" to Australia via boat.  The MV Tampa incident shows that Australia has never been afraid to turn people away.  It is much harder to get into Australia without permission compared to the US.
But, perhaps more importantly, Australia has always treated new settlers equally.  They never made some of them slaves and some of them free based on skin color.  The US hasn't done that either for over a hundred years, but it takes time for that kind of social discord to heal.

Lol, tell that to the Aborigines. Their government was still massacaring them in just the last century.

(This post was last modified: 12-14-2018, 12:47 PM by mikesez.)

(12-14-2018, 11:51 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-14-2018, 11:21 AM)mikesez Wrote: Right.  A diverse population doesn't automatically give social distrust. 

Lol, tell that to the Aborigines. Their government was still massacaring them in just the last century.

The Aborigines are basically interchangeable with our native Americans. They are not very numerous, many of them live on reservations where they have their own government and programs, and so they don't really affect the rest of the people's attitudes about pooling resources and risks.

(This post was last modified: 12-14-2018, 06:05 PM by homebiscuit.)

(12-13-2018, 10:04 PM)lastonealive Wrote: What would population size have to do with anything?

Obviously, population size has much to do with the administration of a country, simply because there is more to oversee and manage. In a bureaucratic morass, there are inherent overlaps, oversights, sociopolitical baggage, corruption, and just plain neglect. That's the nature of the beast.

Nearly a quarter of Australia's immigrants come from the UK. Welcoming in masses who have similar appearance, language and basic social structure is hardly a teeming melting pot.

Only a quarter? Is that because number one and number two are India and China?

You need to layoff google.

Also your population comment is absurd. Particularly with the land mass the size of Australia.

Who cares.

Australia has ten times less people. And I'm sure they don't have a segment of their population that is perfectly happy never working and taking money from the government to survive.

But... are Australians really happy giving half of their money to a corrupt government that doesn't care about anything but themselves....?

(12-15-2018, 08:52 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Who cares.

Australia has ten times less people. And I'm sure they don't have a segment of their population that is perfectly happy never working and taking money from the government to survive.

But... are Australians really happy giving half of their money to a corrupt government that doesn't care about anything but themselves....?

Yes unemployment benefits and unemployment exists in most western nations.

Don't vote for people with vested interests then.

Well now, Ms Ocasio Cortez's supporters are going to march on Nancy Pelosi's office and demand that Nancy put her on the Ways and Means Committee.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/nan...7e9076e0c3

You guys okay with this? hahahahahaha

Just when you think things cannot get any more ridiculous...

(12-20-2018, 11:56 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Well now, Ms Ocasio Cortez's supporters are going to march on Nancy Pelosi's office and demand that Nancy put her on the Ways and Means Committee.  

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/nan...7e9076e0c3

You guys okay with this?   hahahahahaha  

Just when you think things cannot get any more ridiculous...

That's not how Congress works. You spend your freshman term on the Toilet Scrubbing Committee while trying to sell overpriced candy bars to tourists at the Washington Monument. You don't get to walk in and take a seat on one of the most important committees.