Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags vs Bucs Quick Takes

• Jags are deep at DB - Herndon seemed to outplay Meeks (who got looks at safety)and Myrick faltered badly.
  • LB depth is still a concern after Brown
  • OT depth is still shaky.  Richardson was hot and cold at RT.  Poehls did OK at LG.
  • Tanner Lee and Montay Crockett made strong statements for PS spots
  • I prefer Wilds to Cook if they keep one of them, but both played well
  • Jags may have the best back-up D-Line in the league
  • The new punter is very good
I think Tanner Lee has tremendous talent and he should be developed. 
His arm strength/velocity is light years beyond what we've seen from recent back-ups like Henne, Allen and Kessler. If he's able to develop the kind of accuracy he showed last night vs our defensive starters playing scout team QB, he could be a real find. Long way to go, but worth a try IMO.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Tanner Lee suprised the hell out of me. Some of those throws were really good. He throws much harder than Bortles.
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(08-31-2018, 11:50 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
  • Jags are deep at DB - Herndon seemed to outplay Meeks (who got looks at safety)and Myrick faltered badly.
  • OT depth is still shaky.  Richardson was hot and cold at RT.  Poehls did OK at LG.
His arm strength/velocity is light years beyond what we've seen from recent back-ups like Henne, Allen and Kessler. If he's able to develop the kind of accuracy he showed last night vs our defensive starters playing scout team QB, he could be a real find. Long way to go, but worth a try IMO.

If Wilds doesn't make the 53, he's gonna get picked up by someone else. I think the late-game showing by Cook was the team giving him some time to put film out there for others to see, as we aren't keeping him.

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2018, 02:33 PM by Kane.)

(08-31-2018, 01:44 PM)Mikey Wrote:

If Wilds doesn't make the 53, he's gonna get picked up by someone else. I think the late-game showing by Cook was the team giving him some time to put film out there for others to see, as we aren't keeping him.

Man... I really like Cooks goal line ability...
But I think you're right. Also I think Wilds does make the 53

ON some of NYCs points...
Crockett was trying to make a strong statement for the 53. I know he likely won't make it as a 6th receiver... but he was the only consistent WR last night. Wynn, the preseason darling from a year ago, was invisible. Lazard had a couple targets but not much to show for it.
As per the LB depth... I think DE McCray can play LB in a pinch, I actually think he converted from LB to play DE... they probably only carry 5. Our starting 5 plus Brown and Payne... but I was kinda rooting for Duluca, he played well last night.
Backup OL still scares me a bit. Richardson was not good. Having a 7' backup OT play guard was interesting...  I really hope Cam, Norwell, and Linder stay healthy this season.
oh and..
Hey, one fer the punter!

(08-31-2018, 02:33 PM)Kane Wrote:
(08-31-2018, 01:44 PM)Mikey Wrote: If Wilds doesn't make the 53, he's gonna get picked up by someone else. I think the late-game showing by Cook was the team giving him some time to put film out there for others to see, as we aren't keeping him.

Man... I really like Cooks goal line ability...
But I think you're right. Also I think Wilds does make the 53

ON some of NYCs points...
Crockett was trying to make a strong statement for the 53. I know he likely won't make it as a 6th receiver... but he was the only consistent WR last night. Wynn, the preseason darling from a year ago, was invisible. Lazard had a couple targets but not much to show for it.
As per the LB depth... I think DE McCray can play LB in a pinch, I actually think he converted from LB to play DE... they probably only carry 5. Our starting 5 plus Brown and Payne... but I was kinda rooting for Duluca, he played well last night.
Backup OL still scares me a bit. Richardson was not good. Having a 7' backup OT play guard was interesting...  I really hope Cam, Norwell, and Linder stay healthy this season.
oh and..
Hey, one fer the punter!

Yes. I have McCray on my 53 in the prediction thread for the reason you cite here. 
Payne is a question mark for me. Could go either way.

I'm still up in the air on Brown. As you may recall, at one point I had him as a roster lock, however, it was you who opened up my eyes to how little he was playing this Preseason. With Matualuaka looking great in the last two games, I think he's earned himself a spot making things tighter and making me think there's only one spot left between Payne and Brown. With that said, Brown came in with a nice pass rush and a forced fumble that Carroll Phillips was able to return for a TD, and that might have earned Brown his roster spot over Payne.

As for Tanner Lee, I've always been impressed with his sheer arm, but he's a lot like Josh Allen out in Buffalo. He needs a couple years developing before he should ever whiff the field in the real game. 
'02

(09-01-2018, 08:05 AM)Jags02 Wrote:

I'm still up in the air on Brown. As you may recall, at one point I had him as a roster lock, however, it was you who opened up my eyes to how little he was playing this Preseason. With Matualuaka looking great in the last two games, I think he's earned himself a spot making things tighter and making me think there's only one spot left between Payne and Brown. With that said, Brown came in with a nice pass rush and a forced fumble that Carroll Phillips was able to return for a TD, and that might have earned Brown his roster spot over Payne.

As for Tanner Lee, I've always been impressed with his sheer arm, but he's a lot like Josh Allen out in Buffalo. He needs a couple years developing before he should ever whiff the field in the real game. 

Yeah. I still don't know exactly what to make of the way they employed Brown in the preseason. Right now I'm thinking they just really needed to evaluate Payne and Matuapuaka and they felt they knew Brown well enough. 
Because - Brown looks much more natural diagnosing plays and going to the ball while Payne and Matuapuaka both look a bit skittery as the play unfolds and tend to over-pursue the ball at times. 

I think Brown's a lock and McCray makes it as a hybrid LB/DE/ST but I really don't know - and beyond that I have no clue.

Tanner Lee has always had the physical tools. That's why he continued to play in college even though his comp% was lousy and he threw a ton of picks. PS seems likely just to see if magically the light clicks and he can become a solid backup.

Refresh me on the Practice Squad-
- if a guy is plucked off our PS, do we have the right to retain him by putting him on the active roster?
- does the player have the ability to decide whether or not he wants to go to the new team?
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(This post was last modified: 09-01-2018, 09:28 AM by Bullseye.)

(09-01-2018, 08:05 AM)Jags02 Wrote:

The one question I have on Brown is that before the draft, it seems like he had the inside track to inherit the SAM.

He knew the defense. 

But to the extent there was even a competition for SAM once they moved Jack into the Mike, it didn't last long.

Jacobs claimed the position in no time.  I wonder if Jacobs was deemed that much better than he, or was it decided early on that Brown was not suited for SAM wholly independent of Jacobs?

Brown will likely make the team.  I've little doubt of that proposition.

But the quickness by which that SAM position was decided is concerning when it comes to Brown.

(09-01-2018, 09:11 AM)PF* Wrote: Refresh me on the Practice Squad-
  - if a guy is plucked off our PS, do we have the right to retain him by putting him on the active roster?
  - does the player have the ability to decide whether or not he wants to go to the new team?

No...it is my understanding there is no "right of first refusal" on practice squad players.

If a team signs a guy from one team's practice squad, he has to be signed to the active roster.

I think the player can decide whether or not to sign with the other team, but why wouldn't the player sign?

It would represent an immediate chance to play and a substantial bump in salary.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

No and no.

But I'd be surprised if one of our practice squad designates was signed to another team's 53 man roster.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(This post was last modified: 09-01-2018, 10:34 AM by imtheblkranger.)

(09-01-2018, 09:26 AM)Bullseye Wrote:  

No...it is my understanding there is no "right of first refusal" on practice squad players.

If a team signs a guy from one team's practice squad, he has to be signed to the active roster.

I think the player can decide whether or not to sign with the other team, but why wouldn't the player sign?

It would represent an immediate chance to play and a substantial bump in salary.

Definitely. I think practice squad is what $7600 a week this year, if you get grabbed off PS I believe its minumum 3 weeks on the active roster at (at least) the rookie minimum which is $480k.

So worst case scenario you go from $7600/wk up to $30k/wk for 3 weeks then if they drop you, you'd likely find your way back onto a PS making $7600 again.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(08-31-2018, 12:32 PM)Ronster Wrote: Tanner Lee suprised the hell out of me. Some of those throws were really good. He throws much harder than Bortles.

Yeah, that one was a laser to Lazzard.  I can't even fault him for droppin it.  The thing ricocheted like 20 yds off of his hands.
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~