Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
First Quarter Jag Awards

We know that Doug Marrone likes to "grade" the team after each quarter of the season, and wants to come out of each four game segment with a winning record.

Consistent with that, and years of posting my version of the above, I present for your amusement/analysis/ridicule my evaluations of the Jaguars thus far in the 2018 season.

Offensive MVP:  Blake Bortles, QB.  A pretty easy choice, considering we have lost Cam Robinson and Marqise Lee for the season with torn ACLs, Fournette has played maybe three quarters of football so far this year with his hamstring issues, and even Linder has had issues staying healthy.  Bortles has had two very strong games against the Patriots and Jets, eclipsing over 300 yards in both games, blistering the Patriots for four (4) TDs.  His game against the Giants was kinda shaky with that one INT along the sideline, and against the tacks, he kept getting passes batted down at the LOS, including three in one series.  But Bortles is a huge reason why we sit at 3-1 right now and deserves credit.

Defensive MVP:  Calais Campbell, DE.  The defense is currently the best in the league in several categories and, despite the lack of turnovers produced, has played quite well.  But Campbell has continued to produce at a similar level he did last year.   He came up huge against the Giants in week one, creating havoc in the first series with a pressure and a forced penalty against their overmatched RT Ereck Flowers.  He also fought off the TE and stuffed rookie RB Saquon Barkley for no gain in a key two point conversion attempt in the second half.  If I recall correctly, he had an early sack against Gabbert against the tacks, and produced a sack and contributed to a safety last week against the Jets.  Ngakoue has played well despite only notching his first sack this past Sunday, as has Jackson, Dareus and the rest of the D-Line.  Telvin Smith and Myles Jack have played well on the next level, and the secondary has given up very little.  But to me, Calais Campbell has been the best of the best thus far.

Special teams MVP:  Josh Lambo, Kicker.  Rookie punter Logan Cooke has been a pleasant surprise with his pinpoint inside the ten punts, but Lambo has been automatic for us, and a complete breath of fresh air compared to what we went through with his predecessor.

Offensive play of the quarter:  Keelan Cole's one handed catch along the left sideline vs. New England.  This play will clearly be among the candidates for play of the year for the team, and league wide.

Defensive play of the quarter:  This was, perhaps, the toughest one to name, with a defense playing as well as it has, there are a few candidates, including the Campbell stop on the two point conversion referenced above.  Dante Fowler's game changing strip sack and recovery of Tom Brady was very tempting to list at the top.  The Patriots had a ton of momentum at that point of the game, and had they scored on that possession, the momentum may have carried over to a Patriots win.  But he beat the Patriots' RT cleanly around the edge and created the turnover and essentially preserved the Jaguars' win.  But for me, the defensive play of the quarter was the Myles Jack pick 6 against the Giants in the opening week.  That play was a team effort, featuring good coaching by Wash for the defensive alignment and fake blitz called. Telvin Smith carrying out the fake blitz, making RT Ereck Flowers hesitate before Smith flared out into coverage on Barkley who came out of the backfield.  Ngakoue contributed a great deal of pressure, forcing Manning to hurry his throw.  DT Abry Jones deflected Manning's pass, popping it up into the waiting arms of LB Myles Jack, who promptly ran it into the end zone for the game winning score.

Rookie of the quarter:  SS Ronnie Harrison-has been a steady contributor in nickel and dime packages.

Most disappointing player:  Fournette.  While bust talk is ridiculously premature and inappropriate, to not have him in the lineup most of the first four games (and what looks like the first 6-8 games) is disappointing.  While there is a lot of talk about the offense being better without him, he would have provided some toughness and offensive rhythm against the tacks.

Biggest win:  Patriots.  This one was easy.  Jaguars fans have wanted Patriots blood for years.  It's about time we got it.  Who knows.  We may get another shot if we continue to take care of business and reach the post season again.

Biggest loss:  Only loss-tacks.  I hate those bastards, but I have to tip my hat to them.  They have beaten some tough opponents under some very trying circumstances.  I only hope they fold again like they did last year, and we find a way to finally beat them.

Biggest concern:  Injuries.  We've already lost two offensive starters for the year two games in, Fournette has been out most of the time.  Hopefully we can get/stay healthy.

Biggest non injury concern:  Sloppy offensive play-Turnovers and penalties...blech!  We have to stop that.  Sooner or later they will bite us in the butt if we aren't careful.

Overall grade:  B to B+  The loss to the tacks, the injuries and sloppy play on occasion are negatives, but right now we are 3-1, our best start since 2007.  While we aren't undefeated and not in first place, we're still right in the think of things, which is light years better than the way things were from 2008-2016.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I like all of these grades. Plenty to be excited about and still plenty to improve upon.

Let's hope we see more of the former in KC on Sunday.

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2018, 08:29 PM by Bullseye.)

(10-02-2018, 08:24 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I like all of these grades.  Plenty to be excited about and still plenty to improve upon.  

Let's hope we see more of the former in KC on Sunday.

Yes.

If we play up to our capabilities, it's a winnable game (not knocking KC at all).

It's like KC and Pittsburgh are like two ships passing in the night.  KC is on the way up, while Pittsburgh is in decline.

Both have the same strengths and weaknesses, interestingly enough.

Spot on analysis.  I agree with everything you said and pointed out Bullseye.  As usual you worded it much better than I ever could.

The biggest thing that sticks out to me is the sloppy play (both offense and defense), penalties and turnovers.  Those are the key things that need to be corrected more than anything else.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(10-02-2018, 09:19 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Spot on analysis.  I agree with everything you said and pointed out Bullseye.  As usual you worded it much better than I ever could.

The biggest thing that sticks out to me is the sloppy play (both offense and defense), penalties and turnovers.  Those are the key things that need to be corrected more than anything else.

I like to rope all that stuff under the "unforced errors" umbrella.   (drops and overthrows too)

Way too many unforced errors this season.  Time to reel that in.

According to Brian Balldinger, the Jaguars Telvin Smith and Myles Jack are the legue's best LBs over the course of the first quarter of the season.

https://www.facebook.com/NFL/videos/178944589610177/

Message Board MVP: Bullseye
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

Most disappointing for me so far is Taven Bryan or Dj Chark. Both of whom have been fairly invisible. I have seen Taven on the field but havent noticed an impact. Chark has two catches. I expected a bit more pop from rounds 1 and 2. Better judgement after mid season but a bit disappointing so far.

You been mysteriously absent on this part of the board lately bull.

(10-03-2018, 08:30 PM)PF* Wrote: Message Board MVP: Bullseye

Ha!

Thanks...but that is funny.

(10-03-2018, 10:55 PM)surfon Wrote: Most disappointing for me so far is Taven Bryan or Dj Chark.  Both of whom have been fairly invisible.  I have seen Taven on the field but havent noticed an impact.  Chark has two catches.  I expected a bit more pop from rounds 1 and 2.  Better judgement after mid season but a bit disappointing so far.

I thought of Bryan and Chark there, but opted against it for a few reasons.

First, they are rookies.  Sometimes it takes a while for rookies to put it all together.  This can be true at WR.

But most scouting reports I read showed that Bryan was considered raw and needed work, so their lack of production at this point, while disappointing, was certainly no surprise to me.

I really haven't been doing too much of anything recently.  Hopefully this will change.

We should be able to put up yards against kc

(This post was last modified: 10-04-2018, 07:59 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

I'm gonna give the most improved player award for the first quarter to AJ Cann

He is becoming the guy Dave thought he would be when he drafted him

(10-02-2018, 08:01 PM)Bullseye Wrote: ...

Offensive MVP:  Blake Bortles, QB. 
Agreed. No other player has contributed more to the teams success. 

Defensive MVP:  Calais Campbell, DE
For me, I would have to go with Myles Jack, and not just due to that one INT. Jack has been all over the field and we are finally getting to see him unleashed. I think the world of Campbell, but Jack has played every defensive snap this season.

Special teams MVP:  Josh Lambo, Kicker. 
Agreed.

Offensive play of the quarter:  Keelan Cole's one handed catch along the left sideline vs. New England. 
Agreed. Nothing else even comes close

Defensive play of the quarter:  ... the Myles Jack pick 6 against the Giants in the opening week...
Fowler's strip. Perhaps it was a bit cumulative, but it slammed the door on New England and Tom's attempted comeback. The crowning moment of a truly amazing day.

Rookie of the quarter:  SS Ronnie Harrison-has been a steady contributor in nickel and dime packages.
I'm kinda happy to agree here in the sense that the team is 3-1 without needing significant contribution from the rookies. This makes me happy.

Most disappointing player:  Fournette
Norwell. He's had bad penalties and bad plays. He was brought here as an All Pro Guard and his level of play hasn't gotten to that point from my perspective. Get better Andrew.

Biggest win:  Patriots. 
Agreed.

Biggest loss:  Only loss-tacks. 
I feel ill Sick .

Biggest concernInjuries. 
Penalties. Injuries happen, they just do. But penalties are performance errors. They need to be cleaned up.

Biggest non injury concern: 
See above.

Overall grade:  B to B+ 
Agreed.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(This post was last modified: 10-04-2018, 11:16 PM by Bullseye.)

(10-04-2018, 07:58 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I'm gonna give the most improved player award for the first quarter to AJ Cann

He is becoming the guy Dave thought he would be when he drafted him

That's a pretty good choice of award and recipient, and right now I can't think of someone more worthy of that honor.

(10-04-2018, 11:09 AM)Deacon Wrote:
(10-02-2018, 08:01 PM)Bullseye Wrote: ...

Offensive MVP:  Blake Bortles, QB. 
Agreed. No other player has contributed more to the teams success. 

Defensive MVP:  Calais Campbell, DE
For me, I would have to go with Myles Jack, and not just due to that one INT. Jack has been all over the field and we are finally getting to see him unleashed. I think the world of Campbell, but Jack has played every defensive snap this season.

Special teams MVP:  Josh Lambo, Kicker. 
Agreed.

Offensive play of the quarter:  Keelan Cole's one handed catch along the left sideline vs. New England. 
Agreed. Nothing else even comes close

Defensive play of the quarter:  ... the Myles Jack pick 6 against the Giants in the opening week...
Fowler's strip. Perhaps it was a bit cumulative, but it slammed the door on New England and Tom's attempted comeback. The crowning moment of a truly amazing day.

I'm kinda happy to agree here in the sense that the team is 3-1 without needing significant contribution from the rookies. This makes me happy.

Most disappointing player:  Fournette
Norwell. He's had bad penalties and bad plays. He was brought here as an All Pro Guard and his level of play hasn't gotten to that point from my perspective. Get better Andrew.

Biggest win:  Patriots. 
Agreed.

Biggest loss:  Only loss-tacks. 
I feel ill Sick .

Biggest concernInjuries. 
Penalties. Injuries happen, they just do. But penalties are performance errors. They need to be cleaned up.

Biggest non injury concern: 
See above.

Overall grade:  B to B+ 
Agreed.

I considered Myles Jack for Defensive MVP, but more Campbell plays stood out to me.  But you make a compelling case for Jack.

(10-04-2018, 03:15 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(10-03-2018, 10:55 PM)surfon Wrote: Most disappointing for me so far is Taven Bryan or Dj Chark.  Both of whom have been fairly invisible.  I have seen Taven on the field but havent noticed an impact.  Chark has two catches.  I expected a bit more pop from rounds 1 and 2.  Better judgement after mid season but a bit disappointing so far.

I thought of Bryan and Chark there, but opted against it for a few reasons.

First, they are rookies.  Sometimes it takes a while for rookies to put it all together.  This can be true at WR.

But most scouting reports I read showed that Bryan was considered raw and needed work, so their lack of production at this point, while disappointing, was certainly no surprise to me.

I really haven't been doing too much of anything recently.  Hopefully this will change.

I get it but I have never been much of a hall pass kinda guy.  Hopefully I am wrong.