Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Has Jacksonville ever had a Coach with Exstensive NFL Experience?

(11-27-2018, 05:06 PM)Firesky Wrote: At least as an Offensive Coordinator I think Todd Haley deserves some consideration. Superbowls on his resume in Pittsburgh, called plays for the Kurt Warner Cardinals & 3 1k receivers in the same year. Has some HC experience with KC, and then another successful stint in Pittsburgh. He actually improved the Browns offense quite a bit this season, just sucks that they decided to go with Gregg "Bountygate" Williams as the HC once they finally decided to dump Hue Jackson; it was obvious from as far back as Hard Knocks that it was a one of the other ultimatum and the animosity was very real.

He's well established in the league and has a track record of offensive success in every stop along the way. While i'm iffy on giving him HC consideration if they do decide to move on from Marrone, I think he's definitely proven as a coordinator and believe it or not would probably be the best offensive mind / playcaller we've had since Dirk Koetter was here a decade ago.

On an unrelated note, moving on from Jerry Sullivan was a mistake and the receiver play top to bottom shows it; #BringbackJerrySullivan

Haley was my guy when we canned Bradley. I'd still take him.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-27-2018, 04:29 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 04:16 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: I'm all for a young offensive minded coach. New ideas are needed in today's game. I've always been opposed to college coaches, but since the game is becoming more like college ball... mind as well give them a look.

I'm very hesitant about hiring a college coach. The only college coach at this point that I would even consider is Dabo Swinney and I'd much rather have a young NFL OC.

As I said... I am... REAL hesitant to consider a college coach. BUT.... hows the game going? College like. Want to win? Make adjustments to league rules and everything else.....We won't see that till 2020,but .... its what we need.

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2018, 08:44 AM by Bullseye.)

(11-27-2018, 04:12 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: Has Jacksonville ever had a Coach with exstensive NFL Experience?

This is something i would like a head coach who has a great deal of HC experience. Think of all the Coaches we have had including TC, they are first Time HC, excpt Marone a 2 yr experience as a lousy HC in Buffalo. I would like to see us bring in a well established Coach who does not look like a first time coach during games. I know there are not a lot out there and TC is now a coach with years of Exp i would like him to be HC or bring in someone who knows to call a TO if the play clock is running down or knows the situation on the field and doesn't punt on 4 and inches. Just some thoughts to think about.

What retread did you have in mind?

The guys who have extensive NFL Head Coaching experience are either too good to be available (Belicheck, Reid), have been out of coaching and are not interested in returning (Cowher), or have been fired from a previous spot and would be met with derision here.

(11-27-2018, 04:44 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 04:35 PM)knarnn Wrote: Kliff Kingsbury looks like the hot “inexperienced” guy this year.

Didn't he just get fired by Texas Tech after 3 losing seasons in a row? Why would anyone want him?

Makes me wonder if the real sin here is losing with bad offense, as opposed to just losing.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Here's a few names of Head Coaching candidates to keep an eye on. Notice they are all offensive minded coaches, because that's what we need.

Pete Carmichael, Offensive Coordinator, Saints: Yes, Payton calls the plays, but Carmichael knows the system front and back and would likely implement the same style of aggressive play that this team has been lacking.

Eric Bieniemy, Offensive Coordinator, Chiefs: Former NFL RB and trusted coach under Andy Reid. He too would likely bring the same aggressive offense to this team. He is a guy we must interview.

Shane Waldron, Passing Game Coordinator/TE Coach, L.A. Rams: Young, right hand man of Sean McVay. Maybe he could bring some of that "Rams magic" to Jacksonville.

Zac Taylor, QB Coach, L.A. Rams: Has some OC experience while with the Dolphins and has done a fantastic job working with a young QB. As a former NFL QB, he knows the position we so desperately need to improve on.

Mike Kafka, QB Coach, Chiefs: Probably more of an OC candidate than a HC, because of hia lack of coordinator experience, but has done wonders with Pat Mahomes.

(11-28-2018, 10:50 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Here's a few names of Head Coaching candidates to keep an eye on. Notice they are all offensive minded coaches, because that's what we need.

Pete Carmichael, Offensive Coordinator, Saints: Yes, Payton calls the plays, but Carmichael knows the system front and back and would likely implement the same style of aggressive play that this team has been lacking.

Eric Bieniemy, Offensive Coordinator, Chiefs: Former NFL RB and trusted coach under Andy Reid. He too would likely bring the same aggressive offense to this team. He is a guy we must interview.

Shane Waldron, Passing Game Coordinator/TE Coach, L.A. Rams: Young, right hand man of Sean McVay. Maybe he could bring some of that "Rams magic" to Jacksonville.

Zac Taylor, QB Coach, L.A. Rams: Has some OC experience while with the Dolphins and has done a fantastic job working with a young QB. As a former NFL QB, he knows the position we so desperately need to improve on.

Mike Kafka, QB Coach, Chiefs: Probably more of an OC candidate than a HC, because of hia lack of coordinator experience, but has done wonders with Pat Mahomes.

I mentioned Bieniemy in another thread. I would love to have him as our next HC.

(11-28-2018, 10:50 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Here's a few names of Head Coaching candidates to keep an eye on. Notice they are all offensive minded coaches, because that's what we need.

Mahomes is good,  but his surrounding cast is very talented.

Tyreek Hill is a speed demon that can catch,  hunt  and Kelcey (sp?)  are top notch.
Creator of the Website in 2001/2002

(This post was last modified: 11-29-2018, 10:08 AM by The Eleventh Doctor.)

So... let's go get Jack Del Rio back?

I mean let's be honest. If a Coach with experience is good, they've already got a job. Re-treads very rarely work. What we need more than anything is a modern coach with modern ideas. Because the game of football has changed.

Quote:TheO-LineMatters

I've wanted Pete Carmichael as our Coach since Gene Smith was fired.

(11-28-2018, 05:20 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 05:06 PM)Firesky Wrote: At least as an Offensive Coordinator I think Todd Haley deserves some consideration. Superbowls on his resume in Pittsburgh, called plays for the Kurt Warner Cardinals & 3 1k receivers in the same year. Has some HC experience with KC, and then another successful stint in Pittsburgh. He actually improved the Browns offense quite a bit this season, just sucks that they decided to go with Gregg "Bountygate" Williams as the HC once they finally decided to dump Hue Jackson; it was obvious from as far back as Hard Knocks that it was a one of the other ultimatum and the animosity was very real.

He's well established in the league and has a track record of offensive success in every stop along the way. While i'm iffy on giving him HC consideration if they do decide to move on from Marrone, I think he's definitely proven as a coordinator and believe it or not would probably be the best offensive mind / playcaller we've had since Dirk Koetter was here a decade ago.

On an unrelated note, moving on from Jerry Sullivan was a mistake and the receiver play top to bottom shows it; #BringbackJerrySullivan

Haley was my guy when we canned Bradley. I'd still take him.

Baker Mayfield has played far better football since Haley was fired than he did while Haley was there. Hard pass.

(11-29-2018, 04:40 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(11-28-2018, 05:20 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Haley was my guy when we canned Bradley. I'd still take him.

Baker Mayfield has played far better football since Haley was fired than he did while Haley was there. Hard pass.

I think part of that can be chalked up to a rookie improving with the more experience he gets each week.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

I really like Bruce Arians. He mentioned he would only go back to coaching if it meant he could coach the Cleveland Browns. There's something very admirable about that. But virtually every QB he's coached has had success. He keeps up with trending offenses in the NFL. And we really do need a forward thinking and offensive minded head coach moving forward. It's just the way of the NFL today.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(11-28-2018, 02:55 PM)old_man Wrote:

Mahomes is good,  but his surrounding cast is very talented.

Tyreek Hill is a speed demon that can catch,  hunt  and Kelcey (sp?)  are top notch.

Ive telling folks this for the longest. Its about the talent as well. Skillset counts.
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend