Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Malik Jackson - Disappointing

If I read it right, cutting Parnell after the season pretty much has no dead cap money left and would free up 6 million. Jackson would free up 9 mil with a 4 mil dead money hit. Church would free up 6.25 mil. Calais would free up 11.5 mil with a 3 mil dead cap hit.

That would be Parnell cut (Richardson replacing?), Jackson (Bryan?) Church (Harrison) and Campbell (Smoot?) cut with 32.75 mil cap space saved and 7 mil dead cap space. Of course....if we release Blake that's a 16.5 mil dead cap space hit unless we do it post June 1.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

These guys will be gone next year:

Malik for sure
Calais most likely but could stay if they reconstruct
Church good as gone
Gibson is gone as well

On offense:

Bortles is gone after June 1
Yeldon
Grant most likely
AJ played himself out
Parnell is done
Moncrief no way they bring him back
[Image: giphy.gif]

(12-05-2018, 10:39 AM)NCJag Wrote: If I read it right, cutting Parnell after the season pretty much has no dead cap money left and would free up 6 million. Jackson would free up 9 mil with a 4 mil dead money hit. Church would free up 6.25 mil. Calais would free up 11.5 mil with a 3 mil dead cap hit.

Parnell frees up 6 mil  (correct) no dead money left on his deal. 

I think that, plus Jackson (11 mil savings) and Church (6.25 mil) may be enough in terms of "notable cuts." 
Of course there are a few more pricey players that could go, but I'm not so sure they are cut. 

Things are going to be tight next year cap wise. There's no way around it.  However - There are a number of out clauses in contracts coming up after 2019 including Marqise Lee and Andrew Norwell. That will help down the road. 

Candidates for immediate restructure include:
Dareus
Bouye
Norwell
Campbell (if he's retained) 
and Blake Bortles (if he's retained)

Restructuring a couple of these deals ^ could make a big difference in the short term.

(12-05-2018, 10:57 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-05-2018, 10:39 AM)NCJag Wrote: If I read it right, cutting Parnell after the season pretty much has no dead cap money left and would free up 6 million. Jackson would free up 9 mil with a 4 mil dead money hit. Church would free up 6.25 mil. Calais would free up 11.5 mil with a 3 mil dead cap hit.

I think that, plus Jackson (11 mil savings) and Church (6.25 mil) may be enough in terms of "notable cuts." 
Of course there are a few more pricey players that could go, but I'm not so sure they are cut. 

Things are going to be tight next year cap wise. There's no way around it.  However - There are a number of out clauses in contracts coming up after 2019 including Marqise Lee and Andrew Norwell. That will help down the road. 

Dareus
Bouye
Norwell

Restructuring a couple of these deals ^ could make a big difference in the short term.

I didn't key on Norwell too much in the last few week before he went down but from what I heard, he WAS looking better. I hope that was just him settling down into a new team/scheme.  It would be nice to have a GOOD solid line of Cam/Norwell/Linder/Shatley(?)/Richardson to set up decent offense.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

Shatley cannot pass block at all

They'll have to address RG either in draft or FA and we have no idea what Richardson can do... I hope we add RT in off season.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(12-05-2018, 02:41 PM)KingJones Wrote: They'll have to address RG either in draft or FA and we have no idea what Richardson can do...  I hope we add RT in off season.

Yeah. I think we'll see two OL players drafted (one of them no later than the 2nd round) as well as a cheap depth signing or two. I'd not be surprised if they target some guys with versatility to play tackle or guard. 

You and I may have no idea if Will Richardson is any good or not, but the team did get some time to evaluate him before he was hurt. So they have some idea if he's got a decent shot at winning a spot or not. And they know more about his injury as well.

(12-05-2018, 10:57 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Dareus
Bouye
Norwell

Restructure Blake? Unless they can still cut him after they restructure, no.

(12-05-2018, 03:02 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-05-2018, 10:57 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Parnell frees up 6 mil  (correct) no dead money left on his deal. 

Dareus
Bouye
Norwell

Restructure Blake? Unless they can still cut him after they restructure, no.

If for whatever reason they keep him around (something I don't advocate) then yes,  restructuring him at a back-up worthy salary might be the way to go from a cap space perspective.

(12-05-2018, 04:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-05-2018, 03:02 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Restructure Blake? Unless they can still cut him after they restructure, no.

If for whatever reason they keep him around (something I don't advocate) then yes,  restructuring him at a back-up worthy salary might be the way to go from a cap space perspectiv
I think #becauseJaguars they are gonna draft the best available QB in the first (whether that is moving up or taking 2nd best) Start Blake and see if the rookiee can surpass him. I think they should wait untill 2020 draft which will have a much better QB draft Class.

(12-05-2018, 05:03 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote:
(12-05-2018, 04:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: If for whatever reason they keep him around (something I don't advocate) then yes,  restructuring him at a back-up worthy salary might be the way to go from a cap space perspectiv
I think #becauseJaguars they are gonna draft the best available QB in the first (whether that is moving up or taking 2nd best) Start Blake and see if the rookiee can surpass him. I think they should wait untill 2020 draft which will have a much better QB draft Class.

Nah. 

It's broke. Gotta fix it now. Even if it's just a patch.  Can't put it off again.

(12-05-2018, 06:08 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-05-2018, 05:03 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: I think #becauseJaguars they are gonna draft the best available QB in the first (whether that is moving up or taking 2nd best) Start Blake and see if the rookiee can surpass him. I think they should wait untill 2020 draft which will have a much better QB draft Class.

Nah. 

It's broke. Gotta fix it now. Even if it's just a patch.  Can't put it off again
But thats what got us in this position. took gabbert should have waited untill the better QB class next year. Took blake shoud have waited untill next year with better Qb class. i would rather ride it out with blake who could be good enough with new OC and or New HC and a healthy Oline and the defense playing like they should. get us back to playoffs then adreess QB in the better class in 2020. Blake cost us at best 2 games this year the OC /coaches cost us 3 and the defense with their head up their butts cost us 3. I am a Blake Fan but i Think we need to start to look at a new QB but i dont want to settle like we have been and pick too soon. This year is not a good class.

(12-02-2018, 08:50 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: He was a backup starting against Pittsburgh. Backups ain’t worth 90 mil.

I think the team was seding a pretty clear message that they were preparing to move on.  They drafted his replacement, and they have other guys on the roster they want to look at.  The season has been done for a couple of weeks, so his role is diminishing in anticipation of moving on.  Nobody is saying a backup is worth $90 million.  That will be rectified at the end of the year.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(12-05-2018, 05:03 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote:
(12-05-2018, 04:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: If for whatever reason they keep him around (something I don't advocate) then yes,  restructuring him at a back-up worthy salary might be the way to go from a cap space perspectiv

Ain't gonna happen.  Bortles will be gone after June 1st when they can spread the dead money out over 2 years.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(12-05-2018, 06:25 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote:
(12-05-2018, 06:08 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Nah. 

It's broke. Gotta fix it now. Even if it's just a patch.  Can't put it off again
But thats what got us in this position. took gabbert should have waited untill the better QB class next year. Took blake shoud have waited untill next year with better Qb class...
 Nah. 
They could have bettered their situation by taking Dalton or Kaep in 2011 instead of Gabbert.
They could have bettered their situation by selecting Garoppolo, Carr or maybe even Bridgewater in 2014. 

They just picked the wrong QBs those years. 
It wouldn't have made worlds of difference since the defense wasn't pretty bad most of those years anyway. 

If they don't like the guy they pick in 2019, they can take another in 2020. You can't just throw in the towel for a year on the QB position and not try to improve it this offseason.

(12-05-2018, 07:24 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-05-2018, 06:25 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: But thats what got us in this position. took gabbert should have waited untill the better QB class next year. Took blake shoud have waited untill next year with better Qb class...
 Nah. 
They could have bettered their situation by taking Dalton or Kaep in 2011 instead of Gabbert.
They could have bettered their situation by selecting Garoppolo, Carr or maybe even Bridgewater in 2014. 

They just picked the wrong QBs those years. 
It wouldn't have made worlds of difference since the defense wasn't pretty bad most of those years anyway. 

If they don't like the guy they pick in 2019, they can take another in 2020. You can't just throw in the towel for a year on the QB position and not try to improve it this offseason.

You keep drafting QB's until you get your franchise guy.  2019, 2020, 2021 - whatever it takes.  We haven't had a good QB since Brunell.

(12-02-2018, 08:36 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I think he is the biggest surprise this year. Either he’s hurt or just coasting. 

Last year he had 7 or 8 sacks but this year he only has 1. To go along with that, he only has 9 QB hits.

Looks like he’s on his way out the door. It’s  hard to believe how much he’s fell off.

His weight dropping down to 270 was a mistake. He's lost his bull rush. If Marrone is back, I doubt Jackson will be. If a new coaching staff comes in, he might be, but IIRC his contract makes cutting him a very attractive proposition from a cap management perspective.

(12-05-2018, 06:32 PM)FBT Wrote: Ain't gonna happen.  Bortles will be gone after June 1st when they can spread the dead money out over 2 years.
Can't the team release Bortles at the start of the league year and designate him a June 1 cut?

(12-05-2018, 10:56 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: You keep drafting QB's until you get your franchise guy.  2019, 2020, 2021 - whatever it takes.  We haven't had a good QB since Brunell.
The problem with a franchise QB is that it takes a few years before you know if you have him. Steve Young played his way out of Tampa like he knew how bad that city was, then went on to become one of the best ever in San Francisco. And for what it's worth, Garrard was a pretty good QB more often than not. His problem is that he had that one great year then was given a huge contract extension and couldn't play to that level again, so he's remembered as a bum. In truth, he was a capable starter.

Fun fact: Garrard was a Coughlin draft pick, meaning that the two best QBs in franchise history had Coughlin's fingerprints on them. Guess who's going to have final say over the QB we draft this year?

(12-04-2018, 10:16 PM)Setsuna00 Wrote: Get rid of Bouye, Jackson, Campbell, and Church. Keep Dareus.

The hell?

(12-06-2018, 02:12 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(12-04-2018, 10:16 PM)Setsuna00 Wrote: Get rid of Bouye, Jackson, Campbell, and Church. Keep Dareus.

The hell?

I get it, he's older and expensive. Flip side is he's still highly productive and we don't have an easily identifiable replacement ready. But the cliff comes fast for guys like him, so is 1 year too soon or 1 year too late the better option?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato