Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What Marrone is really saying...

He's a rookie and has seen limited snaps to this point. I'm less upset with him getting overeager and trying to make a play; I'm more upset with Harrison getting in Ebrons face and jawing to give them a new set of downs when you were walking off the field. If Harrison stays composed and acts professional we don't even talk about Bryan because that play and the rest of the drive wouldve never happened.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-04-2018, 02:31 AM)Firesky Wrote: He's a rookie and has seen limited snaps to this point. I'm less upset with him getting overeager and trying to make a play; I'm more upset with Harrison getting in Ebrons face and jawing to give them a new set of downs when you were walking off the field. If Harrison stays composed and acts professional we don't even talk about Bryan because that play and the rest of the drive wouldve never happened.
He's a workout warrior in football pads. That don't make no football player. That's the point. I'm just a fan of guys with instincts with athleticism... guess I'm alone. I like football players, not this crap.

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2018, 03:22 AM by JackCity.)

(12-04-2018, 02:52 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(12-04-2018, 02:31 AM)Firesky Wrote: He's a rookie and has seen limited snaps to this point. I'm less upset with him getting overeager and trying to make a play; I'm more upset with Harrison getting in Ebrons face and jawing to give them a new set of downs when you were walking off the field. If Harrison stays composed and acts professional we don't even talk about Bryan because that play and the rest of the drive wouldve never happened.
He's a workout warrior in football pads. That don't make no football player. That's the point. I'm just a fan of guys with instincts with athleticism... guess I'm alone. I like football players, not this crap.

He was one of the most disruptive interior rushers in college football his final year in college.

Development isn't linear. Not every 1st rounder should be expected to be good out the gate, especially one as raw as Bryan.

He is starting to flash in the run game. 

If you saw him at all in training camp you had to realize how much teqnique work he needed. Might take a bit.

https://twitter.com/logs56/status/106970...00322?s=19

This video is about Campbell but check out Bryan vs Nelson.

(12-04-2018, 03:16 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-04-2018, 02:52 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: He's a workout warrior in football pads. That don't make no football player. That's the point. I'm just a fan of guys with instincts with athleticism... guess I'm alone. I like football players, not this crap.

He was one of the most disruptive interior rushers in college football his final year in college.  

Development isn't linear. Not every 1st rounder should be expected to be good out the gate, especially one as raw as 
He isn't. I love me some football players but the fact is Taven doesn't know how to play the game yet! A workout warrior turned football player. Classic case. Show me somsthing these last 4 I guess

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2018, 08:47 AM by Mowerguy.)

That Harrison penalty could have really flat out hurt....
we had the clots punting and they got a fresh set of downs.
bryan was one of the draft picks that makes you scratch your head and go "huh? Who"
Maybe we'll see why he was a first rounder next year.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2018, 09:00 AM by irontrooper83.)

(12-04-2018, 03:44 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: He is starting to flash in the run game. 

If you saw him at all in training camp you had to realize how much teqnique work he needed. Might take a bit.

https://twitter.com/logs56/status/106970...00322?s=19

This video is about Campbell but check out Bryan vs Nelson.

Yup there's a good one here too, always against Nelson and with Dareus working with him. 

https://twitter.com/logs56/status/1069709322744184833

Against the run lately he's holding up better than Malik although he has a long way to go in so many aspects of the game. Putting him outside for half a season wasn't probably a great idea. It's not his fault when he was drafted and what the team needs were at that point but hopefully next year he takes a good step. Him and Smoot could really help us down the road with some players we'll be losing and resources having to go more on the offense. 
Guess we'll see.

(12-04-2018, 03:16 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-04-2018, 02:52 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: He's a workout warrior in football pads. That don't make no football player. That's the point. I'm just a fan of guys with instincts with athleticism... guess I'm alone. I like football players, not this crap.

Development isn't linear. Not every 1st rounder should be expected to be good out the gate, especially one as raw as Bryan.

Exactly.

A DE usually takes a while to develop. The critics here need to check out Calais Campbell's rookie stats.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Marrone's point was, HE DOESN'T LISTEN. He didn't say anything about his college stats, his development, or anything else.

He stated he was told multiple times NOT to do something and he did it anyways.
My sig goes here!

(12-04-2018, 10:26 AM)NM Jag Fan Wrote: Marrone's point was,  HE DOESN'T LISTEN.   He didn't say anything about his college stats, his development, or  anything else.

That doesn't mean he wasn't listening, or that he didn't understand the instruction. Knowing what to do and doing it in the heat of the moment are two different things. It takes a while to overcome instincts.

He could turn out to be a bust. He could turn out to be a great pick. Making a call on which one it is after 12 games where he was mostly a backup is foolish.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(12-04-2018, 10:26 AM)NM Jag Fan Wrote: Marrone's point was,  HE DOESN'T LISTEN.   He didn't say anything about his college stats, his development, or  anything else.

A rookie did something stupid. Not exactly shocking is it?  Especially from a kid that every scout that saw him headlined their report with the word "raw." 

It's a little early to decide if the kid is as dumb as he looked in three or four ugly snaps this year, or if he's got some real potential as an interior lineman.  I'd advise a little patience.  

It's great that Marrone called him on it in the presser. Maybe it will help motivate him to find the mental wherewithal to play with more focus.

(12-04-2018, 02:52 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:

If Bryan had been a 3rd round pick rather than a 1st round pick, none of this would be a discussion.  The fact that Caldwell and Coughlin spent a 1st round pick on a depth guy that needed to be developed is the real issue.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(This post was last modified: 12-05-2018, 08:29 AM by Mowerguy.)

Quote - "If Bryan had been a 3rd round pick rather than a 1st round pick, none of this would be a discussion.  The fact that Caldwell and Coughlin spent a 1st round pick on a depth guy that needed to be developed is the real issue."

That's my take on it....if reports had him as "raw".....and he seems to need a lot of "development".....he probably would have been there in the third,fourth....or even later. What the heck made them draft him in the first? What did they see?
And biggest question....who did they pass up?
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(12-05-2018, 08:25 AM)Mowerguy Wrote: Quote - "If Bryan had been a 3rd round pick rather than a 1st round pick, none of this would be a discussion.  The fact that Caldwell and Coughlin spent a 1st round pick on a depth guy that needed to be developed is the real issue."

That's my take on it....if reports had him as "raw".....and he seems to need a lot of "development".....he probably would have been there in the third,fourth....or even later. What the heck made them draft him in the first? What did they see?
And biggest question....who did they pass up?

You have a point, but most big boards by the "experts" had him going well before our second pick would have come about  - and a few of them had him going a little earlier than where we selected him.  Cough-Well were ostensibly not the only front office guys coveting his potential. They took him at a reasonable place given his "stock" from a fan's perspective. 

The kid was a bit of a luxury pick and a salary cap pick rolled into one. The team knew they were stacked on the D-Line, but they also knew they couldn't afford to keep all of those guys beyond 2019.  So they got a guy that they believed they could develop to replace a high-priced vet. They clearly hoped he could learn Campbell's role, but now it looks more like he'll be taking over for Jackson instead. If that turns out to be the case, it's not a wasted pick. 

Still - I remained disappointed they didn't take an O-Lineman (or TE) with that pick. 
Hopefully the kid refines his game and earns the gamble the FO played to get him.

You people whine that you want Jackson cut and whine about not developoing players then whine about the talented development player they draft to develop to replace Jackson then you'll whine about cutting Jackson. Pathetic.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato