Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Batted passes

Here is another interesting stat.

This year the Jaguars have given up the 4th least yards per pass play but have given up the most points to QBs in fantasy football.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Here is another interesting stat.

This year the Jaguars have given up the 4th least yards per pass play but have given up the most points to QBs in fantasy football.

Phillip Rivers had a MONSTER day fantasy-wise against Jax. That game hurt the overall totals.

Plus, the 4th qtr vs Luck in London did not help either.

Henne had a lot of batted passes. He immediately got hammered by critics for it.

Now, Bortles has a lot of batted passes too.

O-line isn't solely responsible. However, it is a common denominator.

Quote:Here is another interesting stat.

In complete fairness, so far we have played a pretty nice set of QBs.

Quote:Henne had a lot of batted passes. He immediately got hammered by critics for it.

Now, Bortles has a lot of batted passes too.

O-line isn't solely responsible. However, it is a common denominator.

Nicely stated, Herd. So what are you pinpointing? Can you expound please.
Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

Quote:In complete fairness, so far we have played a pretty nice set of QBs.

Good QBs but bad offenses.

It's the long windup.  When defensive linemen see him winding up, they have plenty of time to get their hands up. 

It's a combination of things. But you can narrow it down to three things. 

1. Most sacked QB since 2014. Mentally this will chip away at any QB. Especially a young one who just registered his 34th career start (That's barely two full seasons worth of football). When you're starring down the barrel full of pressure you're going to get sloppy. Not just mentally but physically as well. It's very rare you see QB's survive beating after beating during the long haul. David Carr with the tinhorns comes to mind in that respect. 

2. Developmental Quarterback. Bradley and Caldwell openly admitted on the day they drafted him that he was very talented but he was still raw and rough around the edges. He had some mechanical things to work on. His release. His timing. His footwork. With him coming out as a junior it didn't help his cause when he was forced to start after they stated as a team and front office that they wanted him to sit as a rookie. This is now showing up on gamedays. Thankfully Blake realizes that. And he's AT LEAST trying to improve during the off-season at QB camps and what not. But it's truly growing pains on a young offense. No different than what the Giants experienced with Eli Manning who I think is his best comparison at this point throwing wise and mechanically. Can't take credit for that either. Another poster helped point that out to me here. 

3. Offensive Imbalances. I think this is the most telling and most troubling. A young QB NEEDS a running game. Period. When I go back and think about some of the most successful young gun slingers in this leauge who were awarded the starting job as rookies. Two things stood out like a sore thumb. And that's a GOOD defense. And a GREAT running game. Wilson had Lynch early on in his career. Made his life easier. Roethilsberger had the Bus in Bettis. Made his life easier. He simply needs some help out there. We've been in the bottom of the NFL in rushing offense since he's been here. So he's not getting much help there. And, as you can see, when a defense doesn't respect your running game. And you give them ZERO guess work. It's too easy for a lineman to drop back on certain downs and distances to where he knows "Okay, I am a bit gassed here, I can't get him on the ground but I know he's throwing this ball, so I'll just pull up and lean back a little". I saw that left and right in the Baltimore loss. 

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

50%  Mechanics/ long release

50%  Protection problems / Cluttered throwing lanes

There are clearly times when attempts to throw "through traffic" because he can't wait any longer for the play to develop due to pressure. On such plays, another .5 second would give him a better throwing lane. 

Ghost of Leftwich's mechanics.... 

Taking it to the top of the Modis building.