Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Stafford trade rumors...a Jag?

Would you be in favor of trading for him?

If so, you think this teams needs tweaking, not an overhaul. 

Because Stafford is closer to the end of his career than the beginning, obviously. 

But a few questions remain. 

1.) How good is he? How good has he ever been? Well, he's having arguably his best season, with a 66% completion rate. His career avg. is 62%

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/p...afMa00.htm

He's probably better than every Jags QB since Brunell. He not only puts up good #'s but he's won A LOT of games in comebacks, one of the signs of a good QB. 

2.) Is he part of the losing in Detroit, or a victim of playing there? 

It's hard to say. The Lions have just been one of those bad franchises since the 80's; the Matt Millen era was a complete disaster and they haven't got that much better since. 

3.) Assuming he would upgrade the QB spot, how much else could be fixed to make adding him worth it? They will need....

- upgraded OL.
- some actual playmakers at WR.
- pass rushers.
- at least one safety. 

I say, all things being equal, Jags should take a shot if he's available for a fair price. Big IF though.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Yes. Trade the 1st round pick. He good.

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2018, 02:59 PM by Caldrac.)

He's a decent QB. Pretty accurate passer. Not afraid to stand back and sling it. I feel like it's just not a well managed franchise. They've never really supported Stafford with a ground game. The defense up there has been hit or miss. Over the last five years he has been apart of a handful of winning seasons. I think for the right price he would be great anywhere.

He just needs to be on a more balanced football team. If you go back and look at his career they've put entirely too much on his plate. I think at one point he had well over 700 pass attempts and he tends to flirt with the high 500's - low 600's on average every year. And outside of Calvin Johnson Jr. He's never really that many viable threats on the outside.

I would take him here in a heartbeat. If they feel like they won't land an instant starter at QB and they feel comfortable with what they have on defense. Maybe fork over a pair of 3's and maybe NEXT year's 1st. I wouldn't give up this year's 1st. But I would give up a pair of 3's and maybe next year's 1 for a guy entering 2019 at the age of 31 with hopefully a cap friendly deal.

With all that said. I don't think Patricia lets him go at all. He's really the only talent they have up there on offense. As much as they have struggled over the years. I don't feel Stafford is hindering them at all. It's the front office that needs to get it's act together. It's the same reason we've seen Aaron Rodgers struggle up and down in Green Bay. Poor management. Cheap management.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(12-28-2018, 02:32 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote: Would you be in favor of trading for him?

If so, you think this teams needs tweaking, not an overhaul. 

Because Stafford is closer to the end of his career than the beginning, obviously. 

But a few questions remain. 

1.) How good is he? How good has he ever been? Well, he's having arguably his best season, with a 66% completion rate. His career avg. is 62%

He's probably better than every Jags QB since Brunell. He not only puts up good #'s but he's won A LOT of games in comebacks, one of the signs of a good QB. 

2.) Is he part of the losing in Detroit, or a victim of playing there? 

It's hard to say. The Lions have just been one of those bad franchises since the 80's; the Matt Millen era was a complete disaster and they haven't got that much better since. 

3.) Assuming he would upgrade the QB spot, how much else could be fixed to make adding him worth it? They will need....

- upgraded OL.
- some actual playmakers at WR.
- pass rushers.
- at least one safety. 

I say, all things being equal, Jags should take a shot if he's available for a fair price. Big IF though.

If Detroit is willing to part ways with him, that tells me either he is done, too expensive, or some other major red flag. What do they have, besides Stafford? How long does he play for? Does he fit in with our personnel?

It would have to be a sweetheart deal for me to be on board in terms of both trade/player compensation and salary. I'm more in favor of developing talent and having them available for years to come.

Otherwise, we're having this same conversation in two or three years.

I heard the Steelers are trading for him....
Creator of the Website in 2001/2002

Detroit ma be in a situation where they are choosing between a new deal for Ansah or keeping Stanford’s massive contract.

I'd be ok with Stafford. I think he's better than Detroit in general. As mentioned, they are just poorly run.

There is plenty of talent here to win with just an average QB, Stafford is slightly above average IMO.

I doubt that the Jaguars would make a move for him given the fact that if/when they cut Bortles they take a huge cap hit and would have to absorb Stafford's contract.  The only way that I would consider it would be a straight up trade Bortles for Stafford... that ain't happening.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2018, 03:22 PM by roycee.)

Nah.

Seen him play in person several times the last couple years. He holds the ball too long and throws his WRs into coverage far too often.

Someone mentioned he's never really had an outside threat outside of Calvin Johnson, I disagree. Marvin Jones is legit (I know currently injured) but he also has Kenny Golladay as well who definitely showed the can be a threat as well.

Basically I don't think Stafford is a player who will genuinely make this team better.

(12-28-2018, 03:06 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Detroit ma be in a situation where they are choosing between a new deal for Ansah or keeping Stanford’s massive contract.

Because Ziggy Ansah couldn't stay relatively healthy again for the 3rd straight season and that he turns 30 this coming off-season,  I would be more than surprised if the Lions give him a lucrative contract.  Right now it seems more likely that a salary cap rich team will offer a contract the Lions aren't willing to match,  if given the opportunity.  

The chances of the Lions using the Franchise Tag on Ansah again seem no more than 10 %.  Because Ansah will be coming off shoulder surgery,  it wouldn't even be shocking if he decides to settle for a shorter term contract.  With the hope of increasing his market value with the type of season he's more than capable of if he can finally stay relatively healthy again.
'

So detroit is an awful franchise and stafford is being held bavk there (which I probably agree with) .. so lets bring him here where the jags can get the best out of him?? LOLOLOL

Thr jags r just as bad or worse a franchise as detroit. Players die here and then leave n produce. Wake up

I'd be ok with it. It would be a big upgrade over the QBs we've had over the last decade. But I don't know if I would trade our 1st; or even our 2nd. I just don't know if he's worth all that right now. Maybe our 3rd and Fournette?
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

How is this post not relative to the Jags? Weird.

Jags can't trade for any of the existing starting QBs. The cap hits are too large because of the huge contracts that were signed by the somewhat available QBs. There is a reason the teams want to trade their QB, they don't want to pay them or take the cap hit by releasing them.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

I think they draft a qb , and try to get nick files.

(12-28-2018, 03:17 PM)roycee Wrote: Nah.

Seen him play in person several times the last couple years. He holds the ball too long and throws his WRs into coverage far too often.

Someone mentioned he's never really had an outside threat outside of Calvin Johnson, I disagree. Marvin Jones is legit (I know currently injured) but he also has Kenny Golladay as well who definitely showed the can be a threat as well.

Basically I don't think Stafford is a player who will genuinely make this team better.

Oh Stafford absolutely would make this team way better, no doubt about that.

He's not worth the contract he's got. Also, I don't think he's really going to end up leaving Detroit.

(12-28-2018, 03:17 PM)roycee Wrote: Nah.

I got to disagree here. In order for you to assert MS wouldn't make this team better, you are also stating that some QB on this roster is as good as MS...sorry, I don't see it. As a matter of fact, I don't see any QB who is even close to MS in talent. He may not be a future hall of famer but he is much better than Bortles or Kessler. 

He's eclipsed 5,000 yards once in a season and has 7 seasons well over 4,000 yards. 

Blake has only 1 season where he has surpassed 4,000 yards in his career. To claim BB is as good as MS is silly, in my opinion. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/p...rtBl00.htm

MS may only be a top 10 or 12 QB, but BB is probably no better than top 25, if not worse.

Can we bring in Golden Tate with him?

(12-29-2018, 05:07 PM)HolsterHusto Wrote: Can we bring in Golden Tate with him?

You mean Golden Tate...the Eagles WR?