Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Drew Lock - QB

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2018, 03:34 AM by knarnn.)

I’d figured this guy deserved his own thread. 

I just finished watching some cut ups of him and I can somewhat see the hype. Big time arm talent (potentially the strongest arm in the class) and he can make all the throws. He also seems to  be one of the few QBs this year to check all the boxes of the “Bill Parcells QB evaluation” checklist as a senior.

1.  Be a three-year starter

2. Be a senior in college

3. Graduate from college

4. Start 30 games

5. Win 23 games

6. Post a 2:1 touchdown-to-interception ratio

7. Complete at least 60-percent of passes thrown

He reminds me of a more polished Josh Allen. While I would prefer Grier or Haskins over Lock, I wouldn’t be entirely upset if he was the pick.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The Parcells QB evaluation check list is incredibly overrated.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

I like him if we redshirt.

Foles/Lock

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2018, 10:03 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

I like the fact he was a 4 year starter, raised his completion% every year, played against the best defenses, good size, huge arm, and never really had a lot of talent on his team to work with other than the big O. It wouldnt shock me at all if he is the first QB selected. I think he is just as good as a prospect as Darnold, Rosen, Allen, were last year.

Honestly I like him better than all 3. His comp % is higher than all 3 too, for some reason an area where most people knock on him even though most of the time his teams are out matched talent wise playing in the SEC

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2018, 10:45 AM by roycee.)

(12-29-2018, 09:57 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I like the fact he was a 4 year starter, raised his completion% every year, played against the best defenses, good size, huge arm, and never really had a lot of talent his team to work with other than the big O.  It wouldnt shock me at all if he is the first QB selected.  I think he is just as good as a prospect as Darnold, Rosen, Allen, were last year.  Honestly I like him better than all 3.  His comp % is higher than all 3 too, for some reason an area where most people knock on him even though most of the time his teams are out matched talent wise playing in the SEC

And when you start with 49% there's really only one way to go with the completion %, at least if you want to remain a starter.

As far as talent around him he also had a good enough run game to run some good play actions off of. And that WR Hall is pretty good too. 

Lock vs. SEC teams doesn't really work in his favor. Most of his damage was done against out of conference opponents so I'd pump the brakes on praising the fact he played in the SEC because overall he struggled against the SEC.

Lock in conference play:
vs Georgia, South Carolina, and Bama combined Lock completed less than 50% of his passes had 1 TD and 5 INTs.

vs Kentucky - Completed less than 60% of his passes. 0 TDs.

vs Florida 75% of passes 3TDs
Vandy 66% of passes 2 TDs 2 INTs
Tennessee 70% of passes 2 TDs
Arkansas 64% of passes 2 TDs

I think it's also worth noting that Vandy, Tennessee, and Arkansas, for lack of a better word...suck at defending the pass.

overall Lock vs the SEC completed 58% of his passes, 10 TDS and 7 INTs.

(12-29-2018, 10:31 AM)roycee Wrote:
(12-29-2018, 09:57 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I like the fact he was a 4 year starter, raised his completion% every year, played against the best defenses, good size, huge arm, and never really had a lot of talent his team to work with other than the big O.  It wouldnt shock me at all if he is the first QB selected.  I think he is just as good as a prospect as Darnold, Rosen, Allen, were last year.  Honestly I like him better than all 3.  His comp % is higher than all 3 too, for some reason an area where most people knock on him even though most of the time his teams are out matched talent wise playing in the SEC

And when you start with 49% there's really only one way to go with the completion %, at least if you want to remain a starter.

As far as talent around him he also had a good enough run game to run some good play actions off of. And that WR Hall is pretty good too. 

Lock vs. SEC teams doesn't really work in his favor. Most of his damage was done against out of conference opponents so I'd pump the brakes on praising the fact he played in the SEC because overall he struggled against the SEC.

Lock in conference play:
vs Georgia, South Carolina, and Bama combined Lock completed less than 50% of his passes had 1 TD and 5 INTs.

vs Kentucky - Completed less than 60% of his passes. 0 TDs.

vs Florida 75% of passes 3TDs
Vandy 66% of passes 2 TDs 2 INTs
Tennessee 70% of passes 2 TDs
Arkansas 64% of passes 2 TDs

I think it's also worth noting that Vandy, Tennessee, and Arkansas, for lack of a better word...suck at defending the pass.

overall Lock vs the SEC completed 58% of his passes, 10 TDS and 7 INTs.

That was just 1 thing I said of the many.  Regardless if there was nowhere but up his first year that's exactly what he did,  and it went up every year, if you dont think that's a good look I dont know what to say.  His last years comp % was better than Rosen, Darnold,  and Allen's last year comp%. My point was he has the experience  and has seen pretty much any defense playing in the SEC.  He really turned up a notch towards the end of the season which I like as well, some players improve.

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2018, 12:54 PM by JackCity.)

A 4 year starter who's as raw as him is more worrying than a 1 year hot shot like Haskins or Trubisky to me.

He's been awful in big games throughout his career too

Drew Lock:

4th quarter stats this year: 34/62 54% 381 yards 1 TD 4 picks 

3rd down stats: 72/117 61% 922 yards 9 TDs 4 picks 

When losing by 1-7 points : 33/58 56% 416 1 TD 5 picks

When winning by 15+ points: 58/83 69% 785 yards 11 TDs 0 picks

(12-29-2018, 12:49 PM)JackCity Wrote: A 4 year starter who's as raw as him is more worrying than a 1 year hot shot like Haskins or Trubisky to me.  

Drew Lock 4th quarter stats this year: 34/62 1 TD 4 picks
3rd down stats: 72/117 9 TDs 4 picks
When losing by 1-7 points : 33/58 1 TD 5 picks

That's a good point. For me, it's Haskins in the first round or go with a different position of need like offensive line. However, not going with a q.b. in round 1 makes it imperative that they acquire a free agent that can win and not break the salary cap. Don't want Foles, Flacco or Stafford so that leaves Bridgewater or Tyrod Taylor in that order.

(12-29-2018, 12:49 PM)JackCity Wrote: A 4 year starter who's as raw as him is more worrying than a 1 year hot shot like Haskins or Trubisky to me.  

You have a head coach at Missouri defensive coach who has pretty much coached at Missouri his whole career and then Haskins has Urban Meyer and possibly the best WR corps in all of college along with Alabama.  I think coaching is a big part and Lock has all the tools, hopefully we get a good OC. Not to mention Lock picked his game up at towards season end

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2018, 01:12 PM by JackCity.)

(12-29-2018, 12:59 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

You have a head coach at Missouri defensive coach who has pretty much coached at Missouri his whole career and then Haskins has Urban Meyer and possibly the best WR corps in all of college along with Alabama.  I think coaching is a big part and Lock has all the tools, hopefully we get a good OC. Not to mention Lock picked his game up at towards season end

That's great and all but not an excuse for his play. Huepel was his OC for a year and Lock has played in a very QB friendly scheme. 

He lacks a fundamental understanding of how to play the position and has crumbled Vs ranked teams almost every time. That's not something I wanna buy into , even if he's tall and has a big arm. 

Can absolutely see Coughlin loving him though

(12-29-2018, 01:10 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-29-2018, 12:59 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: You have a head coach at Missouri defensive coach who has pretty much coached at Missouri his whole career and then Haskins has Urban Meyer and possibly the best WR corps in all of college along with Alabama.  I think coaching is a big part and Lock has all the tools, hopefully we get a good OC. Not to mention Lock picked his game up at towards season end

That's great and all but not an excuse for his play. Huepel was his OC for a year and Lock has played in a very QB friendly scheme. 

He lacks a fundamental understanding of how to play the position and has crumbled Vs ranked teams almost every time. That's not something I wanna buy into , even if he's tall and has a big arm. 

You say this but Lamar Jackson had possibly his worst game of his career in his last and always crumbled against the good teams as well, very interesting. And to say coaching is not an excuse for his play is laughable, we should we get a new OC then if coaching is not excuse for ones play

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2018, 01:38 PM by JackCity.)

(12-29-2018, 01:23 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-29-2018, 01:10 PM)JackCity Wrote: That's great and all but not an excuse for his play. Huepel was his OC for a year and Lock has played in a very QB friendly scheme. 

You say this but Lamar Jackson had possibly his worst game of his career in his last and always crumbled against the good teams as well, very interesting. And to say coaching is not an excuse for his play is laughable, we should we get a new OC then if coaching is not excuse for ones play

Lamar struggling Vs ranked opponents was absolutely something I took into consideration though. Yet his traits , electric ability as a runner and his experience running pro style concepts at a high level sold me on trusting him to play well in the pros. Lock struggling Vs ranked teams isn't the reason I don't like him, it's just part of the evaluation , like it should be with every QB.

Sorry correction to the above. Huepel was Locks OC for two seasons , one of the best offensive minds in the country and noted QB guru, currently UCFs head coach. So no , coaching is not an excuse.

I think we found a new player for flgators to get emotionally tied into and die on a hill over just because other people don't like him like he does

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2018, 01:48 PM by roycee.)

(12-29-2018, 01:23 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-29-2018, 01:10 PM)JackCity Wrote: That's great and all but not an excuse for his play. Huepel was his OC for a year and Lock has played in a very QB friendly scheme. 

And he still played better than Lock vs. top 25 teams.

Also played better than Lock when playing from behind.

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2018, 01:59 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(12-29-2018, 01:37 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-29-2018, 01:23 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: You say this but Lamar Jackson had possibly his worst game of his career in his last and always crumbled against the good teams as well, very interesting. And to say coaching is not an excuse for his play is laughable, we should we get a new OC then if coaching is not excuse for ones play

Lamar struggling Vs ranked opponents was absolutely something I took into consideration though. Yet his traits , electric ability as a runner and his experience running pro style concepts at a high level sold me on trusting him to play well in the pros. Lock struggling Vs ranked teams isn't the reason I don't like him, it's just part of the evaluation , like it should be with every QB.

Sorry correction to the above. Huepel was Locks OC for two seasons , one of the best offensive minds in the country and noted QB guru, currently UCFs head coach. So no , coaching is not an excuse.

I think we found a new player for flgators to get emotionally tied into and die on a hill over just because other people don't like him like he does

Emotionally tied to? Lol, hes not even my top QB but I like him as a prospect.  You might want to look in the mirror when talking about falling in love with a prospect. I'd be happy with a few guys in this draft

(12-29-2018, 01:44 PM)roycee Wrote:
(12-29-2018, 01:23 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: You say this but Lamar Jackson had possibly his worst game of his career in his last and always crumbled against the good teams as well, very interesting. And to say coaching is not an excuse for his play is laughable, we should we get a new OC then if coaching is not excuse for ones play

And he still played better than Lock vs. top 25 teams.

Top teams? Go watch his last game against Miss St.

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2018, 02:20 PM by roycee.)

(12-29-2018, 01:57 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-29-2018, 01:37 PM)JackCity Wrote: Lamar struggling Vs ranked opponents was absolutely something I took into consideration though. Yet his traits , electric ability as a runner and his experience running pro style concepts at a high level sold me on trusting him to play well in the pros. Lock struggling Vs ranked teams isn't the reason I don't like him, it's just part of the evaluation , like it should be with every QB.

Emotionally tied to? Lol, hes not even my top QB but I like him as a prospect.  You might want to look in the mirror when talking about falling in love with a prospect. I'd be happy with a few guys in this draft

(12-29-2018, 01:44 PM)roycee Wrote: And he still played better than Lock vs. top 25 teams.

Seen it.

Honestly overall Lock has the physical tools which is a start, but sometimes locks onto his first read and trusts his arm too much. He also definitely needs to work on his touch with some passes and accuracy, despite the percentage increase it is still something he struggles with especially when he's under pressure...or thinks he will be under pressure.

He's had good OCs during college. He has a WR and TE that will likely be on NFL rosters next year. 

He generally played good against the teams he should have and bad against good teams, with the exception of the Florida game. 

The late season uptick you've referenced more than once were against teams with bad passing defenses. 

In my opinion the Jags aren't in the position to draft Lock and have him succeed this upcoming season, if he can sit a year...maybe.

(12-29-2018, 01:57 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-29-2018, 01:37 PM)JackCity Wrote: Lamar struggling Vs ranked opponents was absolutely something I took into consideration though. Yet his traits , electric ability as a runner and his experience running pro style concepts at a high level sold me on trusting him to play well in the pros. Lock struggling Vs ranked teams isn't the reason I don't like him, it's just part of the evaluation , like it should be with every QB.

(12-29-2018, 01:44 PM)roycee Wrote: And he still played better than Lock vs. top 25 teams.

Yeah you have a habit of getting very defensive over prospects you like, even when arguing to people who like them too.

Only one year above 60% completion scares me. And he porked off on easy competition. Played poorly against good teams. He may have the ideal size and arm, but doesnt have the consistent productivity to match. As stated above, he did continue to get better. So who knows, maybe he'll keep getting better as a pro. His ceiling is pretty high. But obviously no guarantees.

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2018, 02:54 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(12-29-2018, 02:15 PM)roycee Wrote:
(12-29-2018, 01:57 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Emotionally tied to? Lol, hes not even my top QB but I like him as a prospect.  You might want to look in the mirror when talking about falling in love with a prospect. I'd be happy with a few guys in this draft

Seen it.

Honestly overall Lock has the physical tools which is a start, but sometimes locks onto his first read and trusts his arm too much. He also definitely needs to work on his touch with some passes and accuracy, despite the percentage increase it is still something he struggles with especially when he's under pressure...or thinks he will be under pressure.

He's had good OCs during college. He has a WR and TE that will likely be on NFL rosters next year. 

He generally played good against the teams he should have and bad against good teams, with the exception of the Florida game. 

The late season uptick you've referenced more than once were against teams with bad passing defenses. 

In my opinion the Jags aren't in the position to draft Lock and have him succeed this upcoming season, if he can sit a year...maybe.

There isnt one QB in this draft that should start right away.

(12-29-2018, 02:17 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-29-2018, 01:57 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Emotionally tied to? Lol, hes not even my top QB but I like him as a prospect.  You might want to look in the mirror when talking about falling in love with a prospect. I'd be happy with a few guys in this draft

Yeah you have a habit of getting very defensive over prospects you like, even when arguing to people who like them too.
Lol, this is a message board.  Its where people go to debate and give their takes.  There will be disagreements and this is a place to come and discuss

(12-29-2018, 02:34 PM)rfc17 Wrote: Only one year above 60% completion scares me.  And he porked off on easy competition.  Played poorly against good teams.  He may have the ideal size and arm, but doesnt have the consistent productivity to match.  As stated above, he did continue to get better.  So who knows, maybe he'll keep getting better as a pro. His ceiling is pretty high.  But obviously no guarantees.

Pretty much agree with all of this.  But there isnt one QB in this class you can look at and guarantee he will be a future Pro Bowl QB.  Every QB in this class has question marks

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2018, 02:58 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(12-29-2018, 01:37 PM)JackCity Wrote:

It's funny you say this and there are people on here saying Haskins or bust lol.  Should go check some of that out. Comedy gold at its finest