Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
House Dems move to eliminate Electoral College, limit presidential pardon power

(01-15-2019, 11:01 PM)Last42min Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 01:18 PM)jradMITEX Wrote: Joined the discussion late, but this is purely hypothetical because nothing will change, but I think it would be a much better system to proportionally assign the electoral votes in each state instead of the all or nothing.  This way everyone's voice is heard and state's don't lose their individual power.  Like I said this is hypothetical, a real discussion with actual ramifications that could actually change and IMHO change the course of our politics is redistricting.  If districts were drawn without partisan advantage in mind you would get a lot more centrist lawmakers and therefore more willingness to compromise and actually address issues.   One last point, the tyranny of the majority concept is not about elections but about laws and the purpose of the judicial branch.  The judicial branch guards against the tyranny of the majority, such that a law can't be passed unfairly targeting the minority.  The judicial branch specifically protects the tyranny of the majority by ensuring the rights of the minority are upheld.

I have no problem with States implementing that system if they choose. It would give advantage to democrats if every state did that, so I don't see it happening for obvious political reasons. I would think it was unwise if it became a federal law or constitutional amendment (though I would not object it were really done through the proper means).

Gerrymandering is an interesting dilemma. It's difficult to figure out how to redraw districts (which needs to be done). Sure, there are some ideas, but nothing that I feel is a great solution. Here's a great article on 538 if you want to read more about it, but they will make the case that there isn't really a great solution. The best case for me would be to have a non-partisan group draw up the most competitive districts. This has it's own flaws, but would accomplish (I believe) some of what you suggest. Keeping committees non-partisan is an issue altogether.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/hat...is-harder/

I have no problem with States proportionally splitting their electoral votes either. I'm just saying don't count on it. There's no incentive for any state to do that on their own.

I enjoyed that 538 article when it came out.  Arizona went with the competitiveness standard you like.
Florida's Constitution was amended, adding compactness and existing political boundaries as standards. I like both approaches. 

But if we could go back into dream world for a minute, a simpler solution would be to require states to draw multi member districts wherever possible.  It would allow minor parties to get representation.  If all of North Florida from Pensacola to Jacksonville down to Gainesville and palm coast was one district that elected five people to Washington, it's easy to imagine the result where there are two or three Republicans, one or two Democrats, and a libertarian in that group.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Messages In This Thread
RE: House Dems move to eliminate Electoral College, limit presidential pardon power - by mikesez - 01-16-2019, 08:10 AM