Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars interview Mike McCoy for OC

(01-15-2019, 02:14 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: Am I the only one that thinks firing Hackett was a mistake? Thought it was the day they did it and even more now. He called some impressive games over his time on this team with a very flawed offensive roster. It fell apart last year with injuries and Bortles losing his head, no one would have been successful. Offense regressed even more when he left.

I was a Hackett fan until about midseason of this year when it became clear he was not maximizing the potential of the ground game.  He practically refused to run out of multiple personnel groupings. 

He scrapped the one page of the playbook that spread the defense out and gave LF and company more room to run after Grant went down. I think he should have just plugged in Yeldon to Grant's role and continued to run that group of plays as it was the only part of the offense that kept defensive coordinators guessing. 

I defended him up until it was clear he had just scrapped something good and chose to instead telegraph run plays via the personnel groupings against loaded boxes.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2019, 02:40 PM by B2hibry.)

What in the fresh hell is this front office doing? Are we taking the Brown's method of team building? Why aren't we trying to interview a young aggressive non-retread from the college ranks? There is plenty of young talent out there. Get the checkbook out.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2019, 02:34 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

[Image: 14w3jb.jpg]

Have a feeling it's going to be a loooong year here in Jacksonville.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(01-15-2019, 02:33 PM)B2hibry Wrote: What in the fresh hell is this front office doing? Are we taking the Brown's method of team building? Why aren't we trying to interview a young aggressive non-retread from the college ranks? There is plenty of young talent out there. Get the checkbook out.

Nobody wants to come here. Marrones essentially a lame duck unless they get the QB right, that's a big leap of faith for any young aspiring coach.

(01-15-2019, 03:17 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 02:33 PM)B2hibry Wrote: What in the fresh hell is this front office doing? Are we taking the Brown's method of team building? Why aren't we trying to interview a young aggressive non-retread from the college ranks? There is plenty of young talent out there. Get the checkbook out.

Nobody wants to come here. Marrones essentially a lame duck unless they get the QB right, that's a big leap of faith for any young aspiring coach.

I wonder if Coughlin/Caldwell are not giving these candidates the answers they want to hear about acquiring the next QB.  

There's no way they are getting through these interviews without revealing some semblance of their offensive personnel strategy.  Maybe these guys really aren't liking what they are hearing. 

I hope I'm wrong of course.

(01-15-2019, 03:19 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 03:17 PM)JackCity Wrote: Nobody wants to come here. Marrones essentially a lame duck unless they get the QB right, that's a big leap of faith for any young aspiring coach.

I wonder if Coughlin/Caldwell are not giving these candidates the answers they want to hear about acquiring the next QB.  

There's no way they are getting through these interviews without revealing some semblance of their offensive personnel strategy.  Maybe these guys really aren't liking what they are hearing. 

I was just thinking the same thing.

Do you think they're telling people that Blake will be back next year? Or that they're going for Flacco? That would be a disaster.

(01-15-2019, 03:23 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 03:19 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I wonder if Coughlin/Caldwell are not giving these candidates the answers they want to hear about acquiring the next QB.  

Do you think they're telling people that Blake will be back next year? Or that they're going for Flacco? That would be a disaster.

I'd run the other way if I heard that.

I think it's more likely coaches choosing settled QB situations over an unknown.

(01-15-2019, 03:19 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 03:17 PM)JackCity Wrote: Nobody wants to come here. Marrones essentially a lame duck unless they get the QB right, that's a big leap of faith for any young aspiring coach.

I'm not sure how much info they can give on that end other than "we're going to draft a guy and we're going to sign a FA". Not sure they'd tell a coach they're planning on giving up the farm for Haskins. 

Might be wrong but based on the fact an Oline and RB coach are already signed, would it surprise you if Marrone and Coughlin have already decided "how" they're going to play? I.e this is our offensive philosophy, this is how we wanna play things tendency and balance wise, this is how we're going to gameplan etc etc can you call plays within those confines and with these position coaches WE selected?  

Eh, hard to make that less appealing to an OC...

(01-15-2019, 03:26 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 03:19 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I wonder if Coughlin/Caldwell are not giving these candidates the answers they want to hear about acquiring the next QB.  

I'm not sure how much info they can give on that end other than "we're going to draft a guy and we're going to sign a FA". Not sure they'd tell a coach they're planning on giving up the farm for Haskins. 

Might be wrong but based on the fact an Oline and RB coach are already signed, would it surprise you if Marrone and Coughlin have already decided "how" they're going to play? I.e this is our offensive philosophy, this is how we wanna play things tendency and balance wise, this is how we're going to gameplan etc etc can you call plays within those confines and with these position coaches WE selected?  

On the first bit - I'd wager they are a bit more specific about who they are targeting if they are really trying to lure a candidate.  Perhaps a short-list of QBs they have in mind. I don't see how they could get an OC on board without going there. 

I think they've definitely decided their intended scheme, the question is how much flexibility will the give the OC with that intention. Do they define strict parameters or imply he'll have some freedom?  No way of knowing where that falls. We know they want a better passing element or they wouldn't be makin all the changes they are making. 

I agree that it's looking less and less appealing. We knew coming in they'd not be option A, but what little hope I held out is waning. 

Gotta' just hope they land the player talent to give the potentially last gasp OC an easier go of it at this point.

(I could also still see a Bevell/Haskins situation working well)

(01-15-2019, 03:23 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:

Yeah I'm thinking it's a QB related issue too. Not sure which names they are giving out as potential candidates for the QB position but I don't think it's a scheme/philosophy problem with most coordinators.

I just hope among veteran FA Flacco is out of the equation as it wouldn't even matter who the OC will be at that point if you bring him in. (not even considering Blake being back, I think everyone wants to move on at this point)

I wish Marrone would have fired Wash instead of Hackett.  I don't think he would find it difficult to find someone to coach the defense.  Still Lots of talent there.

(01-15-2019, 03:36 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 03:26 PM)JackCity Wrote: I'm not sure how much info they can give on that end other than "we're going to draft a guy and we're going to sign a FA". Not sure they'd tell a coach they're planning on giving up the farm for Haskins. 

On the first bit - I'd wager they are a bit more specific about who they are targeting if they are really trying to lure a candidate.  Perhaps a short-list of QBs they have in mind. I don't see how they could get an OC on board without going there. 

I think they've definitely decided their intended scheme, the question is how much flexibility will the give the OC with that intention. Do they define strict parameters or imply he'll have some freedom?  No way of knowing where that falls. We know they want a better passing element or they wouldn't be makin all the changes they are making. 

I agree that it's looking less and less appealing. We knew coming in they'd not be option A, but what little hope I held out is waning. 

Gotta' just hope they land the player talent to give the potentially last gasp OC an easier go of it at this point.

(I could also still see a Bevell/Haskins situation working well)
Bevell/Flip and Haskins is my #1 choice for QB this season.

(01-15-2019, 01:27 PM)BigJohn98 Wrote: Just read he’s been fired midseason by the last two teams he worked for.

Perhaps we're simply looking to sign our offensive coordinator to an 8 game contract.

Apparently Todd Haley is just too toxic to consider.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(01-15-2019, 02:14 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: Am I the only one that thinks firing Hackett was a mistake? Thought it was the day they did it and even more now. He called some impressive games over his time on this team with a very flawed offensive roster. It fell apart last year with injuries and Bortles losing his head, no one would have been successful. Offense regressed even more when he left.
No I feel the same way and was sorry to see him fired

No, no, a billion times no.

The guy doesn't know how to run an O in the NFL, let alone building this new Madden-esqu, high scoring O's that looks the future.

I know a Chargers fan from when he was in San Diego and he would curse his name. He was happier the day they fired him than when they won games. Did anyone watch the Cardinals last season? 

Hell we may as well bring Hackett back at this rate. I'm getting worried by some of the names now.

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2019, 07:26 PM by Brett.)

(01-15-2019, 07:23 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: No, no, a billion times no.

The guy doesn't know how to run an O in the NFL, let alone building this new Madden-esqu, high scoring O's that looks the future.

I know a Chargers fan from when he was in San Diego and he would curse his name. He was happier the day they fired him than when they won games. Did anyone watch the Cardinals last season? 

Hell we may as well bring Hackett back at this rate. I'm getting worried by some of the names now.

Can't do that, Hackett is with the Packers now. But I get your point.

(01-15-2019, 07:25 PM)Brett Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 07:23 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: No, no, a billion times no.

Can't do that, Hackett is with the Packers now. But I get your point.

Wow, from Bortles to Rodgers. Is that the coaching equivulant of winning the lottery?

(01-15-2019, 10:17 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 07:25 PM)Brett Wrote: Can't do that, Hackett is with the Packers now. But I get your point.

Wow, from Bortles to Rodgers. Is that the coaching equivulant of winning the lottery?
He isn't calling plays, just the OC

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk