Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Championship Games

I will never understand how  New England can run the same three plays game after game and no one can stop them.   A receiver goes just beyond the line and cuts left or right or it's a short dunk across the middle.  The Chiefs are a good example of why weak defenses find it difficult to win championships.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-21-2019, 07:42 AM)jagman Wrote: I will never understand how  New England can run the same three plays game after game and no one can stop them.   A receiver goes just beyond the line and cuts left or right or it's a short dunk across the middle.  The Chiefs are a good example of why weak defenses find it difficult to win championships.

But having no offense at all, like us, won't even allow us to sniff the playoffs.

^ Yup, it's amazing what the Pats offense can do. As long as the O-line can protect the QB, the Pats offense will just pick you completely apart. They've done it over and over and over again.

Ryan Clark just said it perfect: When setting up to run the play, Brady had already "read KC's mail". He saw what they were doing and knew exactly who/where he was going with it.

The Rams are going to HAVE to pressure/hit Brady a lot. If they allow the Pats to chew up a bunch of clock on long scoring drives, welp, it'll be over.

**btw: Remember in early September when the Pats got throttled by the Jags and then lost to the Lions the very next week? I recall Romo/Nantz saying at the end of the Jags game that "Regarding the Patriots, we've seen this early season struggle before and then they're playing at the end of the year,, we'll probably see it again." They knew, as did we all.

The Pats just beat 2 of the best teams this season to advance to yet another SB. They throttled the Chargers and beat the Chiefs in their own stadium to advance. And really, they would've dominated KC if it wasn't for some dumb/unfortunate mistakes to keep the Chiefs in it.
- INT in the end zone when they were at the goal line to try and go 14-0 on their second drive (it would've been 21-0 at half if not for that)
- Edelman's tipped up INT (after his muffed punt replay) giving the Chiefs excellent field position to score in the 4th
- Pats going for it on 4th and inches while they were already in easy FG range and up 17-14,, they turn it over on downs.

Chiefs were lucky to be in a position to win it, IMO.

Hate the Pats all you want, and I am one that has hated for a long time. But, they are just dang impressive time and again when it really matters.
Beat the Chiefs and Chargers to get to another SB. Geezus

(01-21-2019, 12:47 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(01-20-2019, 11:53 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/JoshScobee10/status/...07744?s=19

Lol. That's great. Although I normally cheer the Pats on when we're not playing them, I'm still butthurt from our loss to them a year ago so for one night only I'm going to have to be  Rams fan. 

GOAT or not, I'm just not feeling the Tom Brady effect this year.

This pretty much sums up my feelings. Plus, phantom calls by the refs at just the right time always seem to help the Pats out, as well. That bogus roughing the passer flag kept the momentum up for the Patriots.

(01-21-2019, 08:21 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-21-2019, 12:47 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Lol. That's great. Although I normally cheer the Pats on when we're not playing them, I'm still butthurt from our loss to them a year ago so for one night only I'm going to have to be  Rams fan. 

GOAT or not, I'm just not feeling the Tom Brady effect this year.

This pretty much sums up my feelings. Plus, phantom calls by the refs at just the right time always seem to help the Pats out, as well. That bogus roughing the passer flag kept the momentum up for the Patriots.

Meh...they called several PIs on the Pats that they could have let go.

That non-PI against Kamara in the Saints-Rams was one of the worst non-calls I have ever seen.  How that was not called, I will never know.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

It's cool how small markets like LA and Boston get the help they need to keep their seasons going.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

[quote pid='1189409' dateline='1548073282']

[/quote]

There's only one way to fix this, computers. Computer scans the entire field and decides if there is a penalty.

(This post was last modified: 01-21-2019, 08:34 AM by homebiscuit.)

(01-21-2019, 08:24 AM)Rico Wrote:
(01-21-2019, 08:21 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: This pretty much sums up my feelings. Plus, phantom calls by the refs at just the right time always seem to help the Pats out, as well. That bogus roughing the passer flag kept the momentum up for the Patriots.

Meh...they called several PIs on the Pats that they could have let go.

That non-PI against Kamara in the Saints-Rams was one of the worst non-calls I have ever seen.  How that was not called, I will never know.

That one will be revisited many times. It's going in the hall of shame. I genuinely feel really bad for the Saints.

(01-21-2019, 08:26 AM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: [quote pid='1189409' dateline='1548073282']

There's only one way to fix this, computers. Computer scans the entire field and decides if there is a penalty.
[/quote]

That won't work either because some Chinese team will end up winning it all.

to many people blameing pass interference not called as reason saints lost. one anylasts had it right though. he said last night saints should've been running after the pass to ted gin jr to make rams use time outs. he is right. cause running the ball at that time would've given saints the lead,and left rams with no timeouts.

yes it was a bad call but it was the coaching that cost saints the game not the one play. In meantime jags get rid of a player,and who was it in overtime that caused brees to trhow the int? oh the player who jags said wasn't any good,and is a locker room cancer. fowler jr.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

(This post was last modified: 01-21-2019, 08:59 AM by SeldomRite.)

The two games yesterday made it plain the two changes the NFL needs to make next year.

First is instant relay. There's no point in even having it if some blatant miscalls aren't reviewable. So first every play and every call or non call needs to be automatically reviewable. "But then the games will take forever, SR!" First they won't, because the NFL can get rid of the idiotic coddling method they use currently where they suck up to the ref to maybe please correct his own bad call, and instead just have all replay stuff done at the head office. Have the replay office simply notify the ref in the game that a call is being corrected and then direct the ref on what the correct call is and do it. No more time wasted on making the ref feel like he matters, just get the blatantly bad calls right in a consistent way quickly.

Second is overtime. I used to think the NCAA does it wrong, but with the way the NFL has changed the rules to make it almost impossible to play defense against any team with an elite QB the games should not be won and lost on a coin flip. Go to the NCAA method and let the game continue until one of the two offenses doesn't match the other. Alternatively the NFL could peel back some of their insane rulemaking that was intended to bolster offense.

(01-21-2019, 08:44 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote: to many people blameing pass interference not called as reason saints lost. one anylasts had it right though. he said last night saints should've  been running after the pass to ted gin jr to make rams use time outs. he is right. cause running the ball at that time would've given saints the lead,and left rams with no timeouts.

yes it was a bad call but it was the coaching that cost saints the game not the one play.  In meantime jags get rid of a player,and who was it in overtime that caused brees to trhow the  int?  oh the player who jags said wasn't any good,and is a locker room cancer. fowler jr.
Just stop. Every time there is a consensus agreement on something, you try and tell the world they are wrong. 

Cool story, but stop.

(01-21-2019, 08:31 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-21-2019, 08:24 AM)Rico Wrote: Meh...they called several PIs on the Pats that they could have let go.

That one will be revisited many times. It's going in the hall of shame. I genuinely feel really bad for the Saints.
DOH!  Didn't realize the receiver was Lewis until just now.  I was watching the game while eating dinner at Carraba's and was on the other side of the dining room.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Don't like this Rams team, with the exception of Goff and Gurley. Also pretty tired of the whole McVay hype. He'll probably win a Superbowl eventually, but meh. Will enjoy seeing Brady and Belichick deny him of that in two weeks, at least for the moment.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(01-21-2019, 08:58 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Second is overtime. I used to think the NCAA does it wrong, but with the way the NFL has changed the rules to make it almost impossible to play defense against any team with an elite QB the games should not be won and lost on a coin flip.

I get the sentiment, but the OT worked perfectly yesterday in the Saints game. Both teams got the ball, defenses played well, and it came down to a monster long FG. 

- NOrleans won the coin flip
- their elite QB got the ball first
- the Rams defense  (Fowler) blew it up and stopped Brees
- Rams got the ball in terrific position
- Saints defense forced them to rely on a 57yd FG attempt. 

The FG kick just happened to be an incredible one by Zuerlein in a clutch moment. 

Pats/Chiefs game,, whatta you going to do? Brady is just Brady in a moment like that. Really, the Chiefs were extremely lucky to even be in position for a chance yesterday, IMO. The Pats blunders kept the Chiefs from being blown out. One of Mahomes' "magical" 4th qtr drives yesterday was an extremely long PI against the Pats,, then a pick play that got Watkins to the 2 yard line. 

The OT rules have already been changed once to accommodate trying to get both teams a chance at possession. You don't remeber the days of Sudden Death/First score wins? All a team had to do was get into FG position and then it was over (unless the kicker missed the attempt).

(01-21-2019, 10:27 AM)jagherd Wrote:
(01-21-2019, 08:58 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Second is overtime. I used to think the NCAA does it wrong, but with the way the NFL has changed the rules to make it almost impossible to play defense against any team with an elite QB the games should not be won and lost on a coin flip.

I get the sentiment, but the OT worked perfectly yesterday in the Saints game. Both teams got the ball, defenses played well, and it came down to a monster long FG. 

- NOrleans won the coin flip
- their elite QB got the ball first
- the Rams defense  (Fowler) blew it up and stopped Brees
- Rams got the ball in terrific position
- Saints defense forced them to rely on a 57yd FG attempt. 

The FG kick just happened to be an incredible one by Zuerlein in a clutch moment. 

Pats/Chiefs game,, whatta you going to do? Brady is just Brady in a moment like that. Really, the Chiefs were extremely lucky to even be in position for a chance yesterday, IMO. The Pats blunders kept the Chiefs from being blown out. One of Mahomes' "magical" 4th qtr drives yesterday was an extremely long PI against the Pats,, then a pick play that got Watkins to the 2 yard line. 

The OT rules have already been changed once to accommodate trying to get both teams a chance at possession. You don't remeber the days of Sudden Death/First score wins? All a team had to do was get into FG position and then it was over (unless the kicker missed the attempt).

The Chiefs scored 31 in the second half and 17 in the fourth quarter. They scored their last field goal with a drive that started with 39 seconds left and the ball on their side of the field. Mahomes showed what he is, the next best QB in the league.

If the chiefs had won the coin flip I have no doubt in my mind they'd have won the game, and that's why the rule needs to change. I doubt it would add more time to games, just would make it so that in a league where the rules are tilted too far in the offense's favor that a coin flip won't determine the winner.

Like Vic used to say, just don’t go to overtime and you won’t have to worry about that

(01-21-2019, 10:39 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: The Chiefs scored 31 in the second half and 17 in the fourth quarter. They scored their last field goal with a drive that started with 39 seconds left and the ball on their side of the field. Mahomes showed what he is, the next best QB in the league.

If the chiefs had won the coin flip I have no doubt in my mind they'd have won the game, and that's why the rule needs to change. I doubt it would add more time to games, just would make it so that in a league where the rules are tilted too far in the offense's favor that a coin flip won't determine the winner.

Mahomes is a great QB, and will be great, not disagreeing there. 
But I think the Pats basically had them beat if not for their own blunders. 
Edelman's tipped INT gave the Chiefs the ball in basic scoring position already. 
Then, up 17-14, they go for it on 4th down already in easy FG range.
Not to mention that Brady throws a pick in the end zone from the 2 yard line on their 2nd drive.

Chiefs probably would've scored. I can'tremember his name, but they kept picking on #27 rookie from Maryland (that guy was playing awful). He gave up a monster long PI late in the 4th and then couldn't stop any other receivers at all. It was bad. 

Pats defense is still pretty bad, I'm sure Mahomes probably would've scored.

Personally, I cannot stand NCAA overtime. It's borderline ridiculous. Giving each team the ball in scoring position,, Whacked IMO.

How many ties were in the NFL this year? How many times does a team that wins a coin flip in OT go down and score a TD on their first possession? Brees couldn't do it yesterday. I don't think it happens very often at all. Yeah, Tom Brady can do it in Championships and Superbowls. Tom Brady.

(This post was last modified: 01-21-2019, 12:53 PM by jagherd.)

(01-21-2019, 11:22 AM)jagherd Wrote:
(01-21-2019, 10:39 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: If the chiefs had won the coin flip I have no doubt in my mind they'd have won the game, and that's why the rule needs to change. I doubt it would add more time to games, just would make it so that in a league where the rules are tilted too far in the offense's favor that a coin flip won't determine the winner.

How many ties were in the NFL this year? How many times does a team that wins a coin flip in OT go down and score a TD on their first possession? Brees couldn't do it yesterday. I don't think it happens very often at all. Yeah, Tom Brady can do it in Championships and Superbowls. Tom Brady.

Okay, I looked it up. Stats I found:
profootballreference.com

Overtime in 2018 (reg season + playoffs)
- Teams that won the coin flip went 9-6-2.
- Games that ended on first possession 4 of 17. 

Only 4 of 17 OT games this year were won by the first possession,, and that includes last night's AFCC. 

Elite QBs are not practically guaranteed to win in OT if they get a coin flip. 
Brees didn't yesterday.
Roethlisberger played in a tie game.
Rodgers played in a tie game.

Brady is Brady.
And yes, Mahomes likely could've done it last night too. 
But, overtime rules are pretty good for now. Improvements can be made? Sure. Giving both teams the ball regardless if the first scores a TD? Naw.

Everyone talking about how great Brady is now and he did win the game. But before he won it, He actually lost it. If it was not for the Chiefs being in the nuetral zone, Brady threw a high pass tipped and intercepted Game OVER Chiefs win. if there was no offsides would ppl be saying how brady has lost his mojo???