Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Championship Games

(01-21-2019, 08:24 AM)Rico Wrote: That non-PI against Kamara in the Saints-Rams was one of the worst non-calls I have ever seen.  How that was not called, I will never know.
[Image: 200w.webp?cid=3640f6095c45fcf937386973676206cf]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-21-2019, 08:31 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-21-2019, 08:24 AM)Rico Wrote: Meh...they called several PIs on the Pats that they could have let go.

That non-PI against Kamara in the Saints-Rams was one of the worst non-calls I have ever seen.  How that was not called, I will never know.

That one will be revisited many times. It's going in the hall of shame. I genuinely feel really bad for the Saints.

Im with you, the Saints must be sick. A miracle play in Minnesotta, now a ref swallowing a whistle and missing a clear penalty and that's 2 SB's they miss. Could you imagine the reaction if that happened to us? You can say the Saints had chances and should have won earlier but they had the game, that was going for a 1st or a TD and that's game.

The NFL already milked the Katrina storyline 10 years ago.

They have no use for that.

" Saints, you're outta luck "- NFL

(01-21-2019, 01:18 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(01-21-2019, 08:31 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: That one will be revisited many times. It's going in the hall of shame. I genuinely feel really bad for the Saints.

Im with you, the Saints must be sick. A miracle play in Minnesotta, now a ref swallowing a whistle and missing a clear penalty and that's 2 SB's they miss. Could you imagine the reaction if that happened to us? You can say the Saints had chances and should have won earlier but they had the game, that was going for a 1st or a TD and that's game.

Could have been called multiple ways. Wasnt just a PI, it was also helmet to helmet on a defenseless receiver. That the refs didn't throw a flag essentially tells me they decided before the play happened that there wasn't going to be a flag thrown no matter what happened.

the only thing missing from the chiefs-pats game was the refs celebrating with
the pats on touchdowns....otherwise it was same old same old for the pats/refs against ..........whoever,
I feel for KC but how can you fight it?
Was probably a two headed coin.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(01-21-2019, 01:56 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(01-21-2019, 01:18 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Im with you, the Saints must be sick. A miracle play in Minnesotta, now a ref swallowing a whistle and missing a clear penalty and that's 2 SB's they miss. Could you imagine the reaction if that happened to us? You can say the Saints had chances and should have won earlier but they had the game, that was going for a 1st or a TD and that's game.

Could have been called multiple ways. Wasnt just a PI, it was also helmet to helmet on a defenseless receiver. That the refs didn't throw a flag essentially tells me they decided before the play happened that there wasn't going to be a flag thrown no matter what happened.

Exactly. I said it last night, the Rams hoped the refs didn't want to decide the game by throwing a flag and ended up deciding it by not throwing a flag. 

Surely they just missed it as it was as obvious as you could get and like you say, it was more than one penalty but the Saints got screwed by that call. Just awful.

(01-21-2019, 02:08 PM)Mowerguy Wrote: the only thing missing from the chiefs-pats game was the refs celebrating with
the pats on touchdowns....otherwise it was same old same old for the pats/refs against ..........whoever,
I feel for KC but how can you fight it?
Was probably a two headed coin.

I saw a lot of calls go against the Pats, but that one roughing the passer on Brady was absolutely terrible. They didn’t get jobbed like how the Jags got jobbed, they had more than enough chances. Fact is... Myles Jack is still running. 

It took too long for Reid to make adjustments. I give him credit for coming out of half and scoring at will, but in a game like this that’s usually too late. You can’t get shut out in the first half like that. That team had zero experience in the playoffs so I guess we will see next season, but it’ll be too late because the JAGS led by rookie superstar HASKINS will be rolling into the AFCCG 17-0 and will annihilate anyone in there way in route to a 19-0 SB champ season.

I was gonna root for the Patriots again this year, but comments ya'll made me re-look at what actually happened/reported during Spygate. I must of missed this due to being in med school at the time. I think I have to root for the Rams after reading this stuff: Spygate to Deflategate: Inside what split the NFL and Patriots apart.

(01-21-2019, 01:00 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: Everyone talking about how great Brady is now and he did win the game. But before he won it, He actually lost it. If it was not for the Chiefs being in the nuetral zone, Brady threw a high pass tipped and intercepted Game OVER Chiefs win. if there was no offsides would ppl be saying how brady has lost his mojo???

He didn’t actually lose the game before he won it.  That’s not how real life works.  Dude was clearly offsides.  That gets him to the QB quicker or assists someone else in getting to the QB quicker to affect the pass whether it be by physically touching the QB or the ball or just being near enough to him to cause pressure which affects the throw.

If you’re getting away with being offsides a lot or even just in critical situations, chances are the outcome of a lot of games would be reversed.  

Lastly, a lot of Brady’s big wins have been close.  You can coulda woulda shoulda a few plays from most any game and change the outcome.  That’s the nature of pro football.  The bottom line is Brady has consistently gotten his team not only to AFC title game but also usually advances them to the Super Bowl where he is 5 and 3.  After this next game he will have played more than half a season’s worth of Super Bowl games.  It’s absurd and insane and I can’t envision it ever being duplicated.

(01-21-2019, 08:58 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: The two games yesterday made it plain the two changes the NFL needs to make next year.

First is instant relay. There's no point in even having it if some blatant miscalls aren't reviewable. So first every play and every call or non call needs to be automatically reviewable. "But then the games will take forever, SR!" First they won't, because the NFL can get rid of the idiotic coddling method they use currently where they suck up to the ref to maybe please correct his own bad call, and instead just have all replay stuff done at the head office. Have the replay office simply notify the ref in the game that a call is being corrected and then direct the ref on what the correct call is and do it. No more time wasted on making the ref feel like he matters, just get the blatantly bad calls right in a consistent way quickly.

Second is overtime. I used to think the NCAA does it wrong, but with the way the NFL has changed the rules to make it almost impossible to play defense against any team with an elite QB the games should not be won and lost on a coin flip. Go to the NCAA method and let the game continue until one of the two offenses doesn't match the other. Alternatively the NFL could peel back some of their insane rulemaking that was intended to bolster offense.

If the league is concerned about player safety, they should just do away with overtime altogether.  Play calling in the 4th quarter would be adjusted in such a case.  Some teams would forgo going for the tie and would instead go for the win depending on how their season was going especially the further into the season we go.

In the playoffs, I think the current format is fine.  The college one basically hurts teams with great defenses by placing their opponent in scoring position already without having to earn it.  If you lose the coin toss in OT, it’s real simple...  just stop the other team from getting into the end zone.  The chiefs didn’t do that.

(01-21-2019, 07:01 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(01-21-2019, 08:58 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: The two games yesterday made it plain the two changes the NFL needs to make next year.

First is instant relay. There's no point in even having it if some blatant miscalls aren't reviewable. So first every play and every call or non call needs to be automatically reviewable. "But then the games will take forever, SR!" First they won't, because the NFL can get rid of the idiotic coddling method they use currently where they suck up to the ref to maybe please correct his own bad call, and instead just have all replay stuff done at the head office. Have the replay office simply notify the ref in the game that a call is being corrected and then direct the ref on what the correct call is and do it. No more time wasted on making the ref feel like he matters, just get the blatantly bad calls right in a consistent way quickly.

Second is overtime. I used to think the NCAA does it wrong, but with the way the NFL has changed the rules to make it almost impossible to play defense against any team with an elite QB the games should not be won and lost on a coin flip. Go to the NCAA method and let the game continue until one of the two offenses doesn't match the other. Alternatively the NFL could peel back some of their insane rulemaking that was intended to bolster offense.

If the league is concerned about player safety, they should just do away with overtime altogether.  Play calling in the 4th quarter would be adjusted in such a case.  Some teams would forgo going for the tie and would instead go for the win depending on how their season was going especially the further into the season we go.

In the playoffs, I think the current format is fine.  The college one basically hurts teams with great defenses by placing their opponent in scoring position already without having to earn it.  If you lose the coin toss in OT, it’s real simple...  just stop the other team from getting into the end zone.  The chiefs didn’t do that.

I think the best system is simply to allow for each team to have 1 possession on the ball. After that, it goes to sudden death. Instead of kick offs, you make substitute the post-safety kicks so it shortens the field a bit for both teams. No more extra points allowed after TD's. Only Two point conversions. 

Other possibility would be just to play another full period. No more sudden death, 15 minute full OT period. Winner is named afterwards. 

This could be all only in the playoffs too. That is totally fine. Leave regularly season as is or modify a bit to protect player safety like you stated.

(This post was last modified: 01-21-2019, 07:37 PM by Caldrac.)

The Saints got royally [BLEEP] yesterday. It's not even close. There's holding, pass interference and illegal contact. What happened there at the end wasn't even one of those three things. It was a straight mugging. A robbery. The game should have ended on some type of call there. The Chiefs also got screwed here and there. In particular, that B.S roughing the passer call where Jones hit Brady's facemask, which, upon replay, clearly showed he wasn't even close to hitting his head or making contact there.

The officiating has been bad throughout the years. We all probably remember the replacement year where the Packers were robbed in the redzone which should have ended with an INT but ended up being flipped to a TD. But the officiating in 2018 /2019 was pretty atrocious. Just as atrocious as the blatant favoritism the Patriots received back in November - February of 2017 - 2018. The NFL has an agenda. I don't care what anybody says.

They're DESPERATE for a franchise to succeed in L.A. DESPERATE. I made the decision a month or two ago. And I'll stand by it. And it's based on two events that can occur.

1. When the Raiders move to Las Vegas. If that franchise all of a sudden starts to look good and they're in the Superbowl conversation. [BLEEP] them. You can bet your bottom dollar they'll have more than one or two calls go there way which will be mired in controversy.

2. Kareem Hunt getting a 2nd chance in the NFL. If he gets another chance in the NFL. I'll stop watching football. Guarantee it.

I am kind of getting burned out with football in general. Feels like a waste of time on Sunday's during the fall and winter months to begin with. With so much stupid [BLEEP] hypocrisy going around and [BLEEP] box officiating it just makes it easier to tune out from it. Just getting burned out on it I guess.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

It used to be when I heard fans say the games are fixed or the refs are favoring one team over another I chalked it up to sour grapes.  Over the last several years there have been calls made that makes me wonder,  I no longer discount the possibility that certain teams are favored over others and that is the reason for some of these bogus calls being made.

(01-21-2019, 06:01 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: I was gonna root for the Patriots again this year, but comments ya'll made me re-look at what actually happened/reported during Spygate. I must of missed this due to being in med school at the time. I think I have to root for the Rams after reading this stuff: Spygate to Deflategate: Inside what split the NFL and Patriots apart.

As someone who witnessed the theft of the St Louis Rams from Khan and the city, I will never want them to win a single thing.  I am glad that Jacksonville benefited from the Khan treatment by Stan Krookie but that team doesn't deserve a darn thing.  I'm probably not going to watch the superbowl this year.  I'm really tired of us not being in it Wink
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(01-21-2019, 07:36 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I am kind of getting burned out with football in general. Feels like a waste of time on Sunday's during the fall and winter months to begin with. With so much stupid [BLEEP] hypocrisy going around and [BLEEP] box officiating it just makes it easier to tune out from it. Just getting burned out on it I guess.

Same here. Exacerbated by the Jags just being awful again, I'm going to tune in less and less, and find something more productive to do on Sunday afternoons. If we do get better, it will just be a bonus, I'll listen to the games as I hold a beer in one hand, and a fishing rod on the other

(01-21-2019, 07:23 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(01-21-2019, 07:01 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: If the league is concerned about player safety, they should just do away with overtime altogether.  Play calling in the 4th quarter would be adjusted in such a case.  Some teams would forgo going for the tie and would instead go for the win depending on how their season was going especially the further into the season we go.

I think the best system is simply to allow for each team to have 1 possession on the ball. After that, it goes to sudden death. Instead of kick offs, you make substitute the post-safety kicks so it shortens the field a bit for both teams. No more extra points allowed after TD's. Only Two point conversions. 

Other possibility would be just to play another full period. No more sudden death, 15 minute full OT period. Winner is named afterwards. 

This could be all only in the playoffs too. That is totally fine. Leave regularly season as is or modify a bit to protect player safety like you stated.

The point of overtime is to end the game as quickly as possible to not disrupt the TV schedule. I'm shocked they moved to what they have now and don't expect anything else that lengthens games to happen.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-22-2019, 08:56 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-21-2019, 07:23 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: I think the best system is simply to allow for each team to have 1 possession on the ball. After that, it goes to sudden death. Instead of kick offs, you make substitute the post-safety kicks so it shortens the field a bit for both teams. No more extra points allowed after TD's. Only Two point conversions. 

The point of overtime is to end the game as quickly as possible to not disrupt the TV schedule. I'm shocked they moved to what they have now and don't expect anything else that lengthens games to happen.

Which honestly is not something I understand in the playoffs. Sure if the maintaining the TV schedule in the regular season is that important, ok then there use a true a model that speeds up results.

But in the playoffs, who care if the games go long? No other major US sport overvalues "game length" versus getting the results of a playoff game correct, and all those sports use 5 or 7 game series instead of 1 game.

(01-22-2019, 09:36 AM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(01-22-2019, 08:56 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: The point of overtime is to end the game as quickly as possible to not disrupt the TV schedule. I'm shocked they moved to what they have now and don't expect anything else that lengthens games to happen.

Which honestly is not something I understand in the playoffs. Sure if the maintaining the TV schedule in the regular season is that important, ok then there use a true a model that speeds up results.

But in the playoffs, who care if the games go long? No other major US sport overvalues "game length" versus getting the results of a playoff game correct, and all those sports use 5 or 7 game series instead of 1 game.
I’m sure the networks would have been fine if the Chiefs and Pats game had run longer.

They had like 54 million people watching. 3 times as many as the top NBA finals game last season.

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2019, 03:24 PM by Jaguarmeister.)

(01-21-2019, 07:23 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(01-21-2019, 07:01 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: If the league is concerned about player safety, they should just do away with overtime altogether.  Play calling in the 4th quarter would be adjusted in such a case.  Some teams would forgo going for the tie and would instead go for the win depending on how their season was going especially the further into the season we go.

What's the point of that though?  Didn't we just play 60 minutes and have a tie?  Now we do 1 more possession each to then FINALLY get to sudden death?  Doesn't the team that wins the toss still have the advantage?  So we've accomplished nothing but to extend the game unnecessarily.

The previous format from years ago had the cheap scenario of win the toss and just get a short drive and get into field goal range to win and go home.  That format heavily favored the team that won the toss.  The current format avoids that and actually gives some advantages to the team that loses the toss.  For instance, if they hold their opponent to 3 they can then decide on a 4th down situation in field goal range to either tie it up and give the ball back to their opponent who now only needs another field goal or just go for the win and go for it on 4th down.  Having that information and that opportunity is an advantage.  I'd still take the ball if I won the toss, but at least not everything rides on the toss like before.  Also, not all overtime games are necessarily taking up an entire extra quarter to complete like what you're proposing above would often produce.  The current format is as fair as a sudden death overtime as we're likely to see.  I just don't see the point of having 1 more possession each of non-sudden death before getting to sudden death, especially in a climate of player safety being the reason for a lot of changes to the game.  Defense needs to play a part in this.

I guess I could see 1 possession each if you were forced to go for 2 in overtime as chances are if both teams score a TD one of them isn't going to get the 2 pt conversion, but I still don't like that format as much as the current one because with the current format, the coin flip winning team can make it a sudden death situation right from the get go by driving down and scoring a TD. It's as simple as the defense of the losing team didn't do its part in that scenario. These non-sudden death scenarios to get to sudden death after just playing 60 minutes of one of the most physically demanding sports on the planet just don't make a lot of sense to me.

I would change the overtime rule to eliminate the coin flip/kickoff.  Whichever team has possession at the end of regulation maintains possession, down-and-distance, etc., but the teams change sides like the end of the 1st and 3rd quarters of the game.  Give each team 2 or 3 time outs and continue playing sudden death, first score wins.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.