Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2020 Democratic Presidential Candidates

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2019, 06:30 PM by mikesez.)

(02-07-2019, 06:05 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Wouldn't high speed rail be nice though? Such a hassle getting a short flight with security, getting to the airport early, then getting from the airport which is usually a fair ride to destination.

London to Paris by rail so much easier than flying for example in Europe

You would still have security to prevent you from bringing bombs or weapons on the train.  A vehicle moving more than 100 miles an hour can kill a lot of people very quickly in the land or in the air.

(02-07-2019, 05:19 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-07-2019, 05:08 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: An outline of the “Green New Deal” shows progressive Democrats hope to expand high-speed rail transportation across the United States to “a scale where air travel stops becoming necessary.”

Wow

I'm curious, what powers high speed rail? Electricity?

Even if you power high speed rail with coal, it's much less CO2 emissions per passenger-mile.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-07-2019, 06:29 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-07-2019, 06:05 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Wouldn't high speed rail be nice though? Such a hassle getting a short flight with security, getting to the airport early, then getting from the airport which is usually a fair ride to destination.

You would still have security to prevent you from bringing bombs or weapons on the train.  A vehicle moving more than 100 miles an hour can kill a lot of people very quickly in the land or in the air.

(02-07-2019, 05:19 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I'm curious, what powers high speed rail? Electricity?

Even if you power high speed rail with coal, it's much less CO2 emissions per passenger-mile.

Terror attacks were the first thing I thought of too.  We could probably use Chuck and Nancy's  technology to prevent that though.

(02-07-2019, 06:29 PM)mikesez Wrote:

(02-07-2019, 05:19 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I'm curious, what powers high speed rail? Electricity?

It would be pretty easy to toss something onto the track (using a drone if the rails were accompanied by a thousand miles of barrier wall). What happens to a train going 125 MPH when it hits a 2x4 on the track?

Of course after looking at commuter rail here in Orlando, the terrorists probably wouldn't bother just to kill the six passengers.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Why don't all these terror attacks happen on trains in the UK? don't need to get passed security to get a train

I love all this paranoia about terrorist attacks while still happily having any old lunatic carrying a gun around

(02-07-2019, 09:17 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Why don't all these terror attacks happen on trains in the UK? don't need to get passed security to get a train

I love all this paranoia about terrorist attacks while still happily having any old lunatic carrying a gun around

Because there are better targets of opportunity such as pubs, crowded streets or arenas. But you can’t act like it hasn’t happened. I suppose it’s easy to say there is unnecessary paranoia in the US when the possibility of attacks in the UK and Europe are statistically higher. Good thing the last time we were forced to follow ended with the revolution.

Speaking of paranoia. Maybe we should install over 4 million government cameras also. Sing it with me...“I always feel like somebody’s watching me!”
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(02-07-2019, 09:17 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Why don't all these terror attacks happen on trains in the UK? don't need to get passed security to get a train

[Image: Guns1.jpg]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

https://g.co/kgs/QNSG5T

Cool, but what about all the American shootings? Maybe you need security everywhere? Churches,hotels,sxhools etc

(02-08-2019, 06:06 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Cool, but what about all the American shootings? Maybe you need security everywhere? Churches,hotels,sxhools etc

We have it most of those places. The idea of "all the American shootings" is sensationalism; gang violence is the majority of it followed by suicide, but we've been over that already.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(02-08-2019, 06:42 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-08-2019, 06:06 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Cool, but what about all the American shootings? Maybe you need security everywhere? Churches,hotels,sxhools etc

We have it most of those places. The idea of "all the American shootings" is sensationalism; gang violence is the majority of it followed by suicide, but we've been over that already.

He doesn't care. It's the same tired line over and over again.

(02-08-2019, 09:59 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(02-08-2019, 06:42 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: We have it most of those places. The idea of "all the American shootings" is sensationalism; gang violence is the majority of it followed by suicide, but we've been over that already.

He doesn't care. It's the same tired line over and over again.

I know, but whatcha gonna do?

It never ceases to amaze me how someone who does not live here feels so comfortable to tell us how to live.  Are you so bold with your next door neighbors?
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Not telling you how to live? Just pointing out that trains would be nice but nooo you lot don't like nice stuff

(02-09-2019, 06:04 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Not telling you how to live? Just pointing out that trains would be nice but nooo you lot don't like nice stuff

Lol, never been on Amtrak have ye...

(02-07-2019, 05:08 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: An outline of the “Green New Deal” shows progressive Democrats hope to expand high-speed rail transportation across the United States to “a scale where air travel stops becoming necessary.”

Wow

Rockets.

(02-09-2019, 06:51 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-09-2019, 06:04 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Not telling you how to live? Just pointing out that trains would be nice but nooo you lot don't like nice stuff

Lol, never been on Amtrak have ye...

I've been on Amtrak two times. One ride from New York to Philadelphia and another ride from San Luis Obispo to Santa Barbara.
Both were smooth, not overcrowded, and on time with nice clean trains. The travel time was reasonable compared to taking a car.
My wife took Amtrak from Orlando to Miami and none of those things were true of her trip. The stupid train stopped in Lakeland. Not exactly on the way. Some Amtrak trains run on direct routes and others seem to have to pass through every congressional district.

(02-09-2019, 07:29 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-09-2019, 06:51 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Lol, never been on Amtrak have ye...

I've been on Amtrak two times. One ride from New York to Philadelphia and another ride from San Luis Obispo to Santa Barbara.
Both were smooth, not overcrowded, and on time with nice clean trains. The travel time was reasonable compared to taking a car.
My wife took Amtrak from Orlando to Miami and none of those things were true of her trip. The stupid train stopped in Lakeland. Not exactly on the way. Some Amtrak trains run on direct routes and others seem to have to pass through every congressional district.

Wow, so with all that experience you still beg to be abused.

(02-09-2019, 07:51 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-09-2019, 07:29 PM)mikesez Wrote: I've been on Amtrak two times. One ride from New York to Philadelphia and another ride from San Luis Obispo to Santa Barbara.

Wow, so with all that experience you still beg to be abused.

I'm not calling for more government run intercity rail.  Thats AOC.  Not me.  I'd like to see more commuter rail and buses, but that's less sexy I guess.

I just wish they'd put up a sane candidate. It's just not possible for them they way the party is veering hard left and putting the accelerator to the floor.

Lieberman was the last reputable, vote-worthy candidate - and he wasn't even top billing.

Without anyone worth their salt, they'll keep fueling opposition votes of bad, but not quite as bad candidates on the other side.

That's precisely how we got Trump, and why he's still the guy to lose.

All the left had to do was stay sane and they would have had any easy run, then and now. And they just. can't. do. it.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Wow

Magic

Just like the Hogwarts Express, and the imagination behind the Green Raw Deal
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."