Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2020 Democratic Presidential Candidates

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2020, 11:33 AM by mikesez.)

(03-05-2020, 11:17 AM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(03-05-2020, 10:51 AM)mikesez Wrote: But just that one thing?  Pretty sure we've all told lies like that. The salutatorian of my high school class got into one of the ivy league schools by claiming to be Hispanic. Dude was whiter than me.
What Warren did is a lot less phony than claiming to be New Yorker when you grew up in Illinois and spent most of your career in Arkansas, or speaking with a Texas drawl when you grew up in Connecticut...

Not just one thing. She also lied about being fired because she was pregnant. She lied about her kids going to public school. She lied about her father being a janitor. And her Native American lie was a long and ongoing benefit to her career. Someone else lost a chance at that slotted minority set aside. Someone was actually hurt by her lie.

I'm no fan of Hillary, but I don't think she ever claimed to be a New Yorker beyond having her citizenship changed to run for Senator from NY. But correct me if I'm wrong.

OK.  Those are more substantial lies.
Warren sincerely believes she has native American blood, and until recently it could not be proven either way.
But she actually experienced being pregnant and raising her kids - lying about her experiences there is less forgivable.

How about this one - how about a candidate who claims that the only help he ever got from his wealthy father was a "million dollar loan" when, in reality, that wealthy father funnelled all of the janitorial/maintenance contracts through the son's shell companies for about a decade, amounting to tens of millions of dollars?

That's probably more phony than claiming your kids went to public school when in reality they mostly went to private schools, don't you think?

(03-05-2020, 11:12 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: When you are an Elizabeth Warren Donald Trump apologist, you have made some wrong turns in your life.

FTFY.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

And now Warren is dropping out.

I'll most likely vote for Biden on at least 4 of the 5 Primary Ballots I received in the mail yesterday.

Curious what happens with Warrens voters now.

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2020, 01:39 PM by MalabarJag.)

(03-05-2020, 11:26 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-05-2020, 11:17 AM)MalabarJag Wrote: Not just one thing. She also lied about being fired because she was pregnant. She lied about her kids going to public school. She lied about her father being a janitor. And her Native American lie was a long and ongoing benefit to her career. Someone else lost a chance at that slotted minority set aside. Someone was actually hurt by her lie.

I'm no fan of Hillary, but I don't think she ever claimed to be a New Yorker beyond having her citizenship changed to run for Senator from NY. But correct me if I'm wrong.

Warren sincerely believes she has native American blood, and until recently it could not be proven either way.
But she actually experienced being pregnant and raising her kids - lying about her experiences there is less forgivable.

How about this one - how about a candidate who claims that the only help he ever got from his wealthy father was a "million dollar loan" when, in reality, that wealthy father funnelled all of the janitorial/maintenance contracts through the son's shell companies for about a decade, amounting to tens of millions of dollars?

That's probably more phony than claiming your kids went to public school when in reality they mostly went to private schools, don't you think?

(03-05-2020, 11:12 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: When you are an Elizabeth Warren Donald Trump apologist, you have made some wrong turns in your life.

FTFY.

Even if you claim a lie rather than him just believing that successfully completing the contracts was not his father's accomplishment, that's personal. It's an "I have a big penis" lie. It has no effect on government policy. Claiming an example of being fired as an example on which to base laws punishing a segment of the population is much worse IMO.

(03-05-2020, 12:18 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Curious what happens with Warrens voters now.

Both of them?

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2020, 01:57 PM by The Real Marty.)

(03-05-2020, 11:26 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-05-2020, 11:17 AM)MalabarJag Wrote: Not just one thing. She also lied about being fired because she was pregnant. She lied about her kids going to public school. She lied about her father being a janitor. And her Native American lie was a long and ongoing benefit to her career. Someone else lost a chance at that slotted minority set aside. Someone was actually hurt by her lie.

"But what about Trump?" does not excuse Warren.  And it doesn't make her not a phony.  

As far as Warren "sincerely believing she has native American blood..." fine, but she put down "Native American" as her ethnicity.  That's a loooong way from just having some Native American blood.  She knew what she was doing.  It would be like if I heard someone float a rumor that there was African blood a few generations back in my family, so I put down "African American" on a job application in order to qualify for some sort of affirmative action.   She thought she was 1/64th or 1/128th Native American, so she claimed to be a Native American.

Warren says she needs some time to think about who to endorse a.k.a she wants to endorse Biden on Sat or Sunday for maximum effect.

Wonder will her fans see her entire political career has been a lie in that one moment or will they blame it on "Bernie bros". I'd wager the latter

(03-05-2020, 12:18 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Curious what happens with Warrens voters now.

Most of those that were voting for Elizabeth Warren probably will vote for Bernie Sanders.  I'm anticipating some Warren supporters that would have supported Sanders over Joe Biden won't because of the personal attacks against them by many Sanders supporters.  The attacks on Twitter certainly caught my attention.

(03-05-2020, 01:56 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-05-2020, 11:26 AM)mikesez Wrote: OK.  Those are more substantial lies.

"But what about Trump?" does not excuse Warren.  And it doesn't make her not a phony.  

As far as Warren "sincerely believing she has native American blood..." fine, but she put down "Native American" as her ethnicity.  That's a loooong way from just having some Native American blood.  She knew what she was doing.  It would be like if I heard someone float a rumor that there was African blood a few generations back in my family, so I put down "African American" on a job application in order to qualify for some sort of affirmative action.   She thought she was 1/64th or 1/128th Native American, so she claimed to be a Native American.
I have Native American blood (great great grandmother was MicMac - Maine territories), but I don't claim to be Native American, never have and never would. It's a unique aspect of my heritage, but I'm a mutt whiteboy.
I'll play you in ping pong. 

I happen to be 1/16 Native American.  My grandmother's father was of Mexican descent and married a Navajo woman.  I'm too lazy to do the math, but I'll bet that I have more "Native American" blood in me than Elizabeth Warren has.  Not that any of this really matters.

The problem is that the democrats and more specifically those on the far left are into "identity" politics and view people in "groups".  They have the need to "label" people and target their groups based on the label.  Black people are "African Americans".  Hispanic people are labeled "Hispanic Americans" and so forth.  People are not just Americans to them, they must be assigned to a group and be pandered to.

They don't realize how much that divides us.  A very good example is how Hillary changed her speech pattern according to the audience.  It was so condescending and fake that it should be insulting to some people, yet it is never pointed out.

Race/ethnicity should not be an issue on either side.  We are all Americans regardless of Heritage.  I personally don't care about the color of one's skin, the features of their eyes or their accent (if they happen to be immigrants).  I care about the country as a whole and want what is best for every American.

I was told not too long ago by a friend that he "had issues" when he learned my last name.  He had a pre-conceived notion of who I was and what I was about based on that.  It turns out that we are really good friends even though my culture and his are very different.

People really need to wake up.  Get off of your cell phone and look around.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(03-05-2020, 07:03 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I happen to be 1/16 Native American.  My grandmother's father was of Mexican descent and married a Navajo woman.  I'm too lazy to do the math, but I'll bet that I have more "Native American" blood in me than Elizabeth Warren has.  Not that any of this really matters.

The problem is that the democrats and more specifically those on the far left are into "identity" politics and view people in "groups".  They have the need to "label" people and target their groups based on the label.  Black people are "African Americans".  Hispanic people are labeled "Hispanic Americans" and so forth.  People are not just Americans to them, they must be assigned to a group and be pandered to.

They don't realize how much that divides us.  A very good example is how Hillary changed her speech pattern according to the audience.  It was so condescending and fake that it should be insulting to some people, yet it is never pointed out.

Race/ethnicity should not be an issue on either side.  We are all Americans regardless of Heritage.  I personally don't care about the color of one's skin, the features of their eyes or their accent (if they happen to be immigrants).  I care about the country as a whole and want what is best for every American.

I was told not too long ago by a friend that he "had issues" when he learned my last name.  He had a pre-conceived notion of who I was and what I was about based on that.  It turns out that we are really good friends even though my culture and his are very different.

I agree that identity politics goes too far more often than not, but you might want to check what Elizabeth Warren's party affiliation was back when she first checked that " native American" box...
This identity politics stuff is definitely part of both parties. while many Republicans are willing to call it out, many other Republicans participate in it.  But it seems like none of the Democrats are not willing to call it out at the moment.

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2020, 08:37 PM by homebiscuit.)

(03-05-2020, 07:03 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I happen to be 1/16 Native American.  My grandmother's father was of Mexican descent and married a Navajo woman.  I'm too lazy to do the math, but I'll bet that I have more "Native American" blood in me than Elizabeth Warren has.  Not that any of this really matters.

Oh, yes they do. They purposely foment it because that is where they derive their power.

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2020, 07:04 AM by The Real Marty.)

I agree with much of what you say, but you have to admit, it all started with white people.  For example, the so-called "one drop" rule, where if you had one drop of black blood in you, you were black.  Half black and half white was considered black, as it is today, but that rule started with white people.

Liberals are just doing what conservatives did many years ago, and it's what people do all the time today, and that is, making up "rules" and "categories of people" when they think it's to their advantage to do so.  

It's reprehensible, but don't act like liberals invented this stuff.   A lot of it was the liberal reaction to racism and discrimination, when they invented affirmative action, which is a very bad policy in itself, but the idea didn't come from liberals.  That poison of identity politics originated with racists.

Keep going back far enough and you'll see that racists got it from progressives.

(03-06-2020, 09:31 PM)Last42min Wrote: Keep going back far enough and you'll see that racists got it from progressives.

Every opinion was progressive the first time someone articulated it...

(03-06-2020, 11:09 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-06-2020, 09:31 PM)Last42min Wrote: Keep going back far enough and you'll see that racists got it from progressives.

[Image: 3mwf9p.jpg]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-06-2020, 11:09 PM)mikesez Wrote:

Don't you have something to engineer?

(03-07-2020, 08:18 AM)Last42min Wrote:
(03-06-2020, 11:09 PM)mikesez Wrote: Every opinion was progressive the first time someone articulated it...

Don't you have something to engineer?

The way my statement sounded to you, is the way that yours sounded to me.
Sophistry deserves more sophistry.

(03-06-2020, 06:59 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

I agree with much of what you say, but you have to admit, it all started with white people.  For example, the so-called "one drop" rule, where if you had one drop of black blood in you, you were black.  Half black and half white was considered black, as it is today, but that rule started with white people.

Liberals are just doing what conservatives did many years ago, and it's what people do all the time today, and that is, making up "rules" and "categories of people" when they think it's to their advantage to do so.  

It's reprehensible, but don't act like liberals invented this stuff.   A lot of it was the liberal reaction to racism and discrimination, when they invented affirmative action, which is a very bad policy in itself, but the idea didn't come from liberals.  That poison of identity politics originated with racists.

[BLEEP] white people, amirite?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-06-2020, 06:59 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

Liberals are just doing what Democrats have done since their parties inception conservatives did many years ago, and it's what people do all the time today, and that is, making up "rules" and "categories of people" when they think it's to their advantage to do so.  

FTFY

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.