Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Reflections and Thoughts on the Silver Season

(02-25-2019, 10:02 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Well shoot, you could say that about any player that year. Not just Brackens.

Not even close.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Question: if you had to pick one play to encapsulate the rivalries with the Colts, Texans, tacks, and Steelers, what play would you choose?

Colts? Fred Taylor trucking Doss.

Texans? The hail mary from Garrard to Mike Thomas.

Tacks...sadly Henry's 99 yard TD run . It illustrates the frustration and sense of futility I feel waytoo often against that team.

Why include the Steelers? Because they were our first rivals, and if I am perfectly honest, it's hard for me to get as fired up against our current divisional rivals as it was the Steelers.

Anyway, the blocked FG to end the first Monday Night game. If I had to choose a second, it would be Garrard's scramble in the 4th quarter to complete the first Pittsburgh sweep.

Fred setting 3 rivers rushing record. Most yards steelers had given up ever.

(02-12-2019, 03:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 01:44 PM)rollerjag Wrote: If for nothing else, the contrasting effect each reportedly had on the locker room.

There are lots of great combos of LBs available in the Jags historical roster. 
Just one example: 

Myles Jack -Will    --   Poz - Mike       --     Daryl Smith  Sam

(02-12-2019, 11:04 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I'm in the extreme minority here but I think MJD was better than Fred Taylor.  Taylor was fully equipped with a Pro Bowl type offensive line, QB, and WRs.  MJD played behind below average offensive talent and the defenses loaded the box to stop him.  I recall coming to games for a number of years thinking he was pretty much the only reason I was renewing my season tix.  He took a beating but those 2nd and 3rd efforts to get a few extra yards will be forever instilled in my memory bank.

I understand the Freddie T favoritism and no big deal because it's like choosing between 2 hot models but I just wanted to express my personal opinion.

Always mystified by this take. No disrespect, you aren't the only one to see it that way. 

There is just no comparison to my eyes. Fred's skillset was so far beyond MJD's I seriously don't even consider it a fair comparison. 

Fred had a half dozen ways to make guys miss and find space to run.  MJD had two, or the option to get low and try to bowl the defender over.  
Two distinctly different levels of athleticism on display to my eyes.

Fred was finesse to MJD's wrecking ball. Not even a comparison to be made. Apples to oranges IMO.

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2019, 09:21 AM by Caldrac.)

(03-05-2019, 11:53 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 03:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: There are lots of great combos of LBs available in the Jags historical roster. 
Just one example: 

Myles Jack -Will    --   Poz - Mike       --     Daryl Smith  Sam

Always mystified by this take. No disrespect, you aren't the only one to see it that way. 

There is just no comparison to my eyes. Fred's skillset was so far beyond MJD's I seriously don't even consider it a fair comparison. 

Fred had a half dozen ways to make guys miss and find space to run.  MJD had two, or the option to get low and try to bowl the defender over.  
Two distinctly different levels of athleticism on display to my eyes.

Fred was finesse to MJD's wrecking ball. Not even a comparison to be made. Apples to oranges IMO.

Freddy and finesse being in the same sentence sounds funny. He could definitely shake a few defenders. But he also had a mean.... and I do mean "MEAN" stiff arm. I remember watching him destroy Jamie Sharper during his prime with the Ravens with a stiff arm.

And of course the classic "GTFO of my way" shoulder of boom to Mike Doss on the way to the house with a look back. Freddy was awesome. As good and as exciting as MJD was to watch. Freddy's accomplishments in spite of missing probably 3 - 4 years worth of football is nothing short of amazing. 

I know a lot of folks clamor for Boselli and Smith to be in the HoF. I think Freddy deserves to be numero uno on that list IMHO.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-06-2019, 09:18 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 11:53 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Fred was finesse to MJD's wrecking ball. Not even a comparison to be made. Apples to oranges IMO.

Freddy and finesse being in the same sentence sounds funny. He could definitely shake a few defenders. But he also had a mean.... and I do mean "MEAN" stiff arm. I remember watching him destroy Jamie Sharper during his prime with the Ravens with a stiff arm.

And of course the classic "GTFO of my way" shoulder of boom to Mike Doss on the way to the house with a look back. Freddy was awesome. As good and as exciting as MJD was to watch. Freddy's accomplishments in spite of missing probably 3 - 4 years worth of football is nothing short of amazing. 

I know a lot of folks clamor for Boselli and Smith to be in the HoF. I think Freddy deserves to be numero uno on that list IMHO.
That look back on Mike Doss was CLASSIC Fred.  He said if he got the chance, he was going to "punish" Doss.  And he sure as heck did.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

I love MJD but Fred had way more talent.

Fred was one of my favorites but I think MJD gets lost in the limelight. MJD had finesse, vision, and could punish. I went back to watch some of his runs and man how quickly we forget just what a special player he was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zFokEyHxFE
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(03-05-2019, 11:53 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Fred was finesse to MJD's wrecking ball. Not even a comparison to be made. Apples to oranges IMO.

FT also had a run against Pittsburgh at the end of the 1998 season where he trucked a S (Bo Orlando) at the goal line.  I still smile at that memory.

As for "little man," he had a lethal stiff arm against Chicago in the opening week of that same season.  I always thought James Stewart was not only under appreciated but unfairly maligned here in Jacksonville, largely because of where he went to college.  Was he a great RB?  No, but he was a quality player and citizen for us.

I agree, Freddy was a beast but the way he was able to cut routes and such made me think "finesse" to MJD's "pinball". MJD just seemed to bounce off folks and FT seemed to be able to just cut through them.

(03-06-2019, 10:45 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 09:18 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Freddy and finesse being in the same sentence sounds funny. He could definitely shake a few defenders. But he also had a mean.... and I do mean "MEAN" stiff arm. I remember watching him destroy Jamie Sharper during his prime with the Ravens with a stiff arm.

FT also had a run against Pittsburgh at the end of the 1998 season where he trucked a S (Bo Orlando) at the goal line.  I still smile at that memory.

As for "little man," he had a lethal stiff arm against Chicago in the opening week of that same season.  I always thought James Stewart was not only under appreciated but unfairly maligned here in Jacksonville, largely because of where he went to college.  Was he a great RB?  No, but he was a quality player and citizen for us.
Little Man still is a Jax resident. I think he has a training operation. 
I think he had lids the record for TDs in a single game by a Jag player with 5.

(03-07-2019, 07:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Little Man still is a Jax resident. I think he has a training operation. 

I used to know who that was against. Was that the Baltimore game in '98 where we were up fourty something points at the half?

(03-07-2019, 08:39 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote:
(03-07-2019, 07:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Little Man still is a Jax resident. I think he has a training operation. 

I used to know who that was against. Was that the Baltimore game in '98 where we were up fourty something points at the half?

No...that game was in 1998...FTs rookie year.

Stewart's 5 TD game was the year before against Philadelphia.

(03-07-2019, 10:57 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-07-2019, 08:39 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: I used to know who that was against. Was that the Baltimore game in '98 where we were up fourty something points at the half?

No...that game was in 1998...FTs rookie year.

Yes, the Eagles. My memory isn't what it used to be.

(03-07-2019, 11:08 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote:
(03-07-2019, 10:57 PM)Bullseye Wrote: No...that game was in 1998...FTs rookie year.

Yes, the Eagles. My memory isn't what it used to be.

Join the club!

At times it's a victory when I remember why I entered a room.

(02-11-2019, 04:51 PM)Bullseye Wrote: 2019 will mark the 25th on field season of Jaguars football. A quarter century!  Of NFL football in Jacksonville!

Whoda thunkit back in 1992?

Where has the time gone?!?  Indeed, time flies when you're having fun.

While the team has yet to win or appear in the Super Bowl, the past 24 years have been a lot of fun.

I still remember the goofy grins people had here when Jacksonville was awarded the team.  I still remember the kid at Christmas excitement I had seeing the completed stadium for the first time.  Boyz II Men singing the National Anthem still resonates.  I still chuckle with Coughlin as the fans chanted "playoffs" when exiting down the ramps after beating Pittsburgh for the team's first ever win at home.  I remember the team used to paint santa hats on the logo during Christmas time until the NFL put the kibosh on it.  I remember the cathartic win over the then hated Carolina Panthers, who were the media darlings. 

The fun of following that second year stretch from 4-7 to 9-7 and the first ever playoff appearance was a blast continues to set the standard, IMO for fun seasons, as it was totally unexpected.  Every team that we needed to lose lost over the last few weeks.   More importantly, the Jaguars did their part, at least until the final game, where they were outplayed by a 3 win Atlanta team.  But then we caught a break when a guy who normally did his job, hall of fame kicker Morten freaking Andersen, missed a 30 yard FG after making something like his last 59 straight from that distance.  Of course, despite being there at the game, just like Morten Andersen, I missed the kick- because I couldn't bear to watch.  But I remember the jubilant pandemonium afterwards, as a fan jumped into my arms and people embraced.  I recall running into my obnoxious Bills fan buddy after we knocked out the Bills in our first playoff game.  He wasn't so obnoxious then.  Sullen is a word that leaps to mind as he slunk out of Blockbuster video wearing his blue Bryce Paup jersey.

We all have had our share of similar memories over the years.  This is one reason why, no matter how much the team ticks me off...no matter how much the team disappoints me, I can't stay too mad at them.

Here are some of my actual on field thoughts over the last 25 years:

If I had to pick a 25th anniversary Jaguars team it would look like this

QB-Mark Brunell
RB-Fred Taylor
FB-Greg Jones
WR-Jimmy Smith
WR-Keenan McCardell
TE-Kyle Brady
LT-Tony Boselli
LG-Vince Manuwai
C-Brad Meester
RG-Chris naoele
RT-Leon Searcy

RE-Yannick Ngakoue-Tough decision over Brackens.  Both have had many game turning plays.  Yannick has done it over a longer period of time than T-Brack.
DT-Marcus Stroud-Lots of good DT prospects from which to choose
DT-John Henderson
LE-Calais Campbell
OLB-Telvin Smith
MLB-Mike Peterson
OLB-Kevin Hardy-He played SAM in his early years.
CB-Jalen Ramsey-if he stays healthy and out of trouble, he is destined for greatness and a spot in the pride-possibly Canton.
CB-Rashean Mathis-Was a tough one over Bouye, but Mathis has more game changing plays.

FS-Deon Grant
SS-Donovin Darius

K-Josh Scobee-I like Hollis, too, but I think Scobee had more dramatic game winning kicks and a stronger leg.
P-Bryan Barker

Top Five Games

1.  30-27 win over Denver in 1996 Divisional Playoffs-Some 23 years later, I still say screw Woody Paige and his "Jagwads," article.
2.  45-41 win in Pittsburgh in 2017 Divisional Playoffs
3.  375 yards rushing over the Colts
4.  First ever MNF win over the Steelers.  Cowher's reaction to the blocked FG and the dejection of Steelers fans leaving the game were classic.
5.  1998 win over Tampa-great crowd, great game.  Had the feel of a college rivalry game.

Top 5 favorite players-not necessarily the best players, just my favorites to watch

1.  Maurice Jones Drew-Seemingly a big play waiting to happen.  Judging from my spot as a fan, he seemed to have a blast playing the game.

2.  Tony Boselli-made watching OL play cool.  I still remember Paul Maguire observing "Tony Boselli just collapsed the entire right side of the Steelers defense!"

3.  Jimmy Smith-His fly routes were something to behold

4.  Tony Brackens-The first DE capable of taking over a game.  Had two of the most important defensive plays in team history during that 1996 playoff run

5.  Jalen Ramsey-Seeing him physically maul receivers while blanketing them on their routes is a lot of fun.

Top 3 defenses:

1.  The 2017 team.  Set a team record for sacks, and scored a bunch of points.  Tons of game changing plays and ruined the Steelers season.

2.  The JDR era "might getcha" group.  Lots of fun to watch dance to that song.  Very intimidating bunch, especially against the run.  only thing they lacked was a pass rusher.

3.  The 1999 defense.  They had their share of game changing and field flipping plays-just not as many as the 2017 group.  Imagine if Capers had a Jalen Ramsey at CB.

Top 3 mistakes:

1.  Cutting LB Eddie Robinson.  I list this because he was better for the defense than what they asked Bryce Paup to do, and cutting him enabled him to return to the tacks- along with him, our playbook.  Perhaps we don't lose to the tacks three times and maybe we go to the Super Bowl without that information.

2.  Firing Tom Coughlin.  Weaver himself said it was the biggest mistake of his tenure as Jaguars owner.  JDR wasn't bad, but TC is a HOF coach.

3.  Passing on HOF/Pro Bowl QBs.-I don't think the team knew they were passing on HOF signal callers at the time, but what would Jaguars history look like if we had either Big Ben, Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, DeShaun Watson or Patrick Mahomes?

Biggest annoyance:  The college first Gator homers.  Oh my God how annoying, overbearing and insufferable that group was in their incessant advocacy of Danny awful, Steve Spurrier, and Tim Tebow.  They became "Gator Skins" and "BroncGators," and to this day, swore up and down Wuerffel and Tebow failed because of some anti Christian bias in the NFL.  They had signs on the overpass over I-95 urging the team to sign Tebow, and some guy wearing a sandwich board advocated the same thing.  BTW, that sandwich board guy's message was "Why not sign Tebow?"  In one of the few times I have heckled someone at the stadium, I said "Because he sucks, that's why!"  It was so cathartic.

These are just a few of my thoughts over the last 25 years of Jaguars football.  I will add more as they come to me and as time permits.  in the meantime I welcome your perspectives.

All great memories. One of mine was the night game ( can’t remember if it was a Monday Night game ) against the Steelers which we won 9-0. The stadium handed out those white styrofoam wands to counter the gold towels being waved by the Steeler fans. Near the end of the game, when a shutout became evident, fans formed these wands into the shape of a “ zero “ to taunt the Steeler players and fans. The image of thousands of these zeroes around the stadium still amuses my memory.
(12-23-2018, 04:57 PM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: And... colts just beat giants

I think that was the game Big Ben came back after having an appendectomy the following week.  He got sacked like 3 times and knocked down 5 or six more.  Everytime they showed him getting up, he was holding his side and wincing.  I think the crowd fed off of it. Man, what a game.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

Nice Bullseye!!
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

I still remember that feeling of being awarded the Jags. I remember thinking there was NO way we would get the team.
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(03-05-2019, 08:59 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Question:  if you had to pick one play to encapsulate the rivalries with the Colts,  Texans, tacks, and Steelers,  what play would you choose?

Colts - Since Manning went 14-5 vs the Jags, it's really hard for me to select a Jag play.  He picked us apart time and time again passing to Harrison and Wayne so it has to be a simple timing route to either of those (not really a single play)

Titans -- Since the Texans own the Jags, I'd have to say it's a McNair run during the 1999 playoffs -- I see that in my sleep.  The only person from Jacksonville that was able to stop McNair was some chick that used to work for Dave and Busters and turned out to be his last fling

Texans - Texans are 21-13 vs the Jags so again, I see JJ Watt making Gabbert curl into his little cocoon

Steelers - I'm still seeing Rashean Mathis picking off passes, returning one for a TD in overtime and Steelers fans throwing trash on Maddox's property prior to his arrival home that night.