Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Double Dipping

There are certain positions this year I could see the Jags double dipping at. For example, if we take a TE in the early rounds it wouldn't surprised me at all if we took another in the late rounds, possibly a less-dynamic blocking type. They also could do something similar at RB, with drafting a power back to be backup (?) to LF and a receiving back in the later rounds... I would consider that over investing in the position, but the FO has shown that tendency. How about if we entered the draft without signing a QB in free agency, would you support them drafting two rookie QBs?
Any other positions you could see it working with? Maybe two OTs, one with guard potential.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-27-2019, 11:44 AM)JagJohn Wrote: There are certain positions this year I could see the Jags double dipping at. For example, if we take a TE in the early rounds it wouldn't surprised me at all if we took another in the late rounds, possibly a less-dynamic blocking type. They also could do something similar at RB, with drafting a power back to be backup (?) to LF and a receiving back in the later rounds... I would consider that over investing in the position, but the FO has shown that tendency. How about if we entered the draft without signing a QB in free agency, would you support them drafting two rookie QBs?
Any other positions you could see it working with? Maybe two OTs, one with guard potential.

I could easily see us drafting 2 TEs. I also wouldn't be against 2 QBs, similar to what Washington did with RG3 and Cousins.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(02-27-2019, 11:44 AM)JagJohn Wrote: There are certain positions this year I could see the Jags double dipping at. For example, if we take a TE in the early rounds it wouldn't surprised me at all if we took another in the late rounds, possibly a less-dynamic blocking type. They also could do something similar at RB, with drafting a power back to be backup (?) to LF and a receiving back in the later rounds... I would consider that over investing in the position, but the FO has shown that tendency. How about if we entered the draft without signing a QB in free agency, would you support them drafting two rookie QBs?

If you go rookie QB in the 1st....the 2nd round has to be OL/TE.

Maybe Little/Lindstrom slips into the 2nd.
Maybe Fant/Irv Smith for TE.

I would personally go OL in the 2nd then try and grab a TE/WR with the 2 3rds.

I really like Dawson Knox from Ole Miss for TE.  Kid is going to blow up the combine and didnt put up stats because the offense also had AJ Brown/DK Metcalf/Demarkus Lodge as focal points. In the 3rd he would be a steal.

(02-27-2019, 12:27 PM)BlueEyedJag Wrote:

If you go rookie QB in the 1st....the 2nd round has to be OL/TE

I would personally go OL in the 2nd then try and grab a TE/WR with the 2 3rds.

This ^

If a rookie QB is part of the equation, you’ve got to address OL and TE (and probably WR) before you even think about doubling any other position. 

I could def see another OL and TE selected in later rounds though.

As per usual - I wouldn’t touch a RB prior to the fourth.  Late third at the earliest.

(This post was last modified: 02-27-2019, 01:00 PM by rpr52121.)

I like the Utah St guy, Dax Raymond, as a day 3 TE. San Jose St TE Kahale Warring who may end up undrafted and a good project for the practice squad.

I could see the Jaguars double-dipping at tight end, wide receiver or offensive line. If they take more of a receiving tight end like Smith or Fant in the 2nd round, they could go for a good blocker like Foster Moreau or Kendall Blanton late in the draft. The wide receiver position is very deep so I could see them taking one in the 2nd/3rd round (Arcega-Whiteside, McLaurin or Butler- wishful thinking) and someone in the late rounds like Jaylen Hurd or KeeShawn Johnson). Regarding the offensive line, nobody could argue about drafting one tackle as well as one interior lineman.

I really like Isaac Nauta as a Tight End and theirs talk for him of around the 3rd or 4th round. He was very underutilized as a catcher until the second half of last season and is a very good blocker.

I don't think we have enough draft picks to double dip unless we do some trading.

(02-27-2019, 04:27 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I don't think we have enough draft picks to double dip unless we do some trading.

Well it depends, for example if they were to draft Fant in the 2nd they may then feel they don't need the big bodied physical WR, and instead go back for a blocking TE. They could use Fant as the big receiver role and still have a strong TE at the line. Would give us good run/pass flexibility.

(02-27-2019, 05:12 PM)JagJohn Wrote:
(02-27-2019, 04:27 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I don't think we have enough draft picks to double dip unless we do some trading.

Well it depends, for example if they were to draft Fant in the 2nd they may then feel they don't need the big bodied physical WR, and instead go back for a blocking TE. They could use Fant as the big receiver role and still have a strong TE at the line. Would give us good run/pass flexibility.

I never thought about that.

(This post was last modified: 02-28-2019, 02:00 AM by Bullseye.)

If Foles is signed, I could easily see them drafting a QB early (no later than the 3rd round, possibly in the first if somehow Haskins were still on the board at 7).

Given the carnage that took place on the OL last year, I see no fewer than 2 OLs drafted this year.  It's possible Cann leaves in free agency.  It's possible Parnell is a cap cut.  Even if both are retained, there is a strong argument to be made both should be upgraded.  I believe there will be an emphasis on versatility, whomever the Jaguars take at those positions.  If Foles has signed and Haskins is off the board, I could easily see guys like Jonah Williams and Cody Ford get major consideration.

If the speculation about Jesse James is accurate, if he is signed by the Jaguars, I don't see TE being double dipped.  In fact, the interest in Jesse James, if true, shows me the Jaguars really don't want to expend too much draft capital on the position.  But there are caveats-namely how much influence new offensive coordinator DeFelippo has in the draft room and the needs of his offensive scheme, in addition to whether we can sign James.

(02-28-2019, 12:31 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-27-2019, 05:12 PM)JagJohn Wrote: Well it depends, for example if they were to draft Fant in the 2nd they may then feel they don't need the big bodied physical WR, and instead go back for a blocking TE. They could use Fant as the big receiver role and still have a strong TE at the line. Would give us good run/pass flexibility.

I never thought about that.

Given how big Metcalf looked, I wonder if a move in the opposite direction would be a consideration by experimenting with him at TE like Shannon Sharpe and Ozzie Newsome.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 02-28-2019, 02:05 AM by Bullseye.)

For the longest time, I thought the 5th round pick we got from the Rams was this year.  We don't get that 5th round pick until next year.  Since we traded our own 5th (Carlos Hyde, IIRC), we have no pick in the 5th round this year, which sucks.

(02-27-2019, 03:31 PM)Dockerill91 Wrote: I really like Isaac Nauta as a Tight End and theirs talk for him of around the 3rd or 4th round. He was very underutilized as a catcher until the second half of last season and is a very good blocker.

I would be really happy with Nauta.

If we double dipped, I would be happy with a combination of Hockenson (assuming he is in the 250 range), Fant, Smith and Nauta, though I think that would be an unlikely scenario..

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!