Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Metcalf or Hockenson
Metcalf
Hockenson
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Metcalf or Hockenson

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2019, 12:32 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

If it came down to these 2 who would you tale?

I think I'm 50/50 on this. One of the toughest choices I can remember

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Tall big receivers worked back in the days. Today's rules favor 6ft and under quick fast shifty receivers like obj, Antonio brown, tyreek hill. Pass on tall muscle bound Metcalf.

Hockenson would be my choice. When is the last time we had an elite TE?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(03-04-2019, 12:56 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Tall big receivers worked back in the days. Today's rules favor 6ft and under quick fast shifty receivers like obj,  Antonio brown, tyreek hill. Pass on tall muscle bound Metcalf.

Julio, Calvin, Gordon.  He is in that mold

Only if we traded down a few spots. Neither is worth #7. We absolutely have to trade down if we get Foles, because there isn't an offensive player in this draft, (other than Haskins) worthy of that high of a pick. If we traded down into the #11 to #15 range, I would definitely take Hockenson though. People seem enamored with Metcalf's size/speed combo, but D.J. Chark is the same height and ran almost the exact same 40 time last year and didn't have the history of injuries Metcalf does. Hockenson is a much more productive player than Metcalf, but it's a toss up for me between TE's Hockenson and Noah Fant. I love them both. Personally, if I were to trade down after acquiring Foles, I would take the best OG/OT in the draft, Cody Ford. Foles is gonna need a lot of protection, because in Jacksonville, he isn't gonna have Peters, Kelce and Johnson in front of him. Instead, he's gonna have last year's cast of "The Walking Dead." We can find our TE in round 2. This is an unbelievably deep class.

I’d love a trade down, and I’m hoping OL is prioritized over receiver.

Taylor - OL - Florida
Ford - OL - Oklahoma

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2019, 01:44 PM by rpr52121.)

An Elite TE that can Block and Catch, gives you more scheme flexibility and ability to create more mismatches. Plus an elite TE more goes up against LB and Safeties that are easier mis matches rather whatever CB lines up on a WR.

If TJ is going to be as good as scouts think, I'm leaning more and more to drafting him.

If you look at DeFillippo's history as an OC with the Browns in 2015 and last year with the Vikings in 2018. The TE is a focal point in the passing game. Barnidge had over 1,000 yards receiving and what was easily best year as a PRO. And then if you look at Rudolph last year. I would say that's probably his best year overall when you compare the amount of targets he received and how productive he was. He was limited in targets but all of his plays were relatively big Vs. a few years ago where he saw well over 100 targets and broke a little over 800 yards receiving.

This would be something to pay attention to moving forward. I don't think they could do any wrong by taking Hockenson. But I don't know if one big year of production warrants being the 7th overall pick. And Fant is honestly just as good and balanced at the position with another year of experience under his belt. I like Metcalf a little bit more. And I do like that he's coming from a well known family that's had success in the NFL between his father and uncle.

I don't know if they're both productive enough coming out of college to warrant that 7th overall pick. But they both have certain qualities that project well at the next level respectively. We'll see. I am always for trading down and gaining more picks. Especially with this team on offense. Plenty of room for improvement there.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2019, 02:53 PM by The Real Marty.)

(03-04-2019, 01:03 PM)Dimson Wrote: Hockenson would be my choice. When is the last time we had an elite TE?

I agree.

(03-04-2019, 01:08 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I’d love a trade down, and I’m hoping OL is prioritized over receiver.

But if you take a TE who can block as well as catch, wouldn't that alleviate some of the concern with the offensive line?

(03-04-2019, 02:52 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 01:03 PM)Dimson Wrote: Hockenson would be my choice. When is the last time we had an elite TE?

I agree.

(03-04-2019, 01:08 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I’d love a trade down, and I’m hoping OL is prioritized over receiver.

But if you take a TE who can block as well as catch, wouldn't that alleviate some of the concern with the offensive line?

It doesn’t alter anything for me. 
I think you can still get a good TE in round two or three and I prioritize RG/RT higher. 

Also - this front office is not going to select a TE that can’t block. I don’t see that as some added asset. It’s one of the primary functions of their position. 

If the jags sign Foles, trust Richardson to start, and land a stud o lineman in the second round - then TE at number seven makes some sense. Outside of that scenario, or a trade down, I’d not select a TE in the first round.

(03-04-2019, 03:04 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 02:52 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I agree.

It doesn’t alter anything for me. 
I think you can still get a good TE in round two or three and I prioritize RG/RT higher. 

Also - this front office is not going to select a TE that can’t block. I don’t see that as some added asset. It’s one of the primary functions of their position. 

If the jags sign Foles, trust Richardson to start, and land a stud o lineman in the second round - then TE at number seven makes some sense. Outside of that scenario, or a trade down, I’d not select a TE in the first round.

To me the real choice is between Elite TE or Elite OG/OT. If you feel you can get both at 7, you go with the position that has the least chance to be addressed in the other rounds.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Is Hockenson worthy of a top 10 pick? He’ll be in rare company if you take him there. The best bet would be to trade down a couple of spots and take him there if at all possible. Then use your extra day 2 picks (hopefully) on a WR and O-Line.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(03-04-2019, 03:11 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 03:04 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: It doesn’t alter anything for me. 

To me the real choice is between Elite TE or Elite OG/OT. If you feel you can get both at 7, you go with the position that has the least chance to be addressed in the other rounds.
I also look at this decision in the same way and that's why I take Hockenson in the first. The 2nd and 3rd rounds will be loaded with good options on the offensive line and at wide receiver while the tight end crop drops significantly after Hockenson, Smith and Fant. The chances of either Lindstrom, Ford or Risner being there in round 2 is at least 75% and I like all 3 of those guys as much as Taylor or Jonah Williams. The wide receiver crop is so deep that I'd double-up on that position like they did with Lee and Robinson, except this year I'd do it in rounds 3 and 6 or 7. Metcalf can be great, but I still consider him a risk as is the case of many previous high-risers who were workout warriors at the combine.

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2019, 05:22 PM by B2hibry.)

Hock, no question!! But...I think you need to consider other positions of value with the #7.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2019, 06:17 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

1. Hockenson
2. Aj Brown
3. McGary
3. Beau B

(03-04-2019, 05:50 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I'm starting to think Hockenson and Lindstrom.  Or Hockenson and AJ Brown then a RG in the 3rd

Yes, I agree with you. They want to get an Ertz-like receiver to go with Foles. It would be a tough choice in the 2nd, because Brown and Lindstrom would both be great picks at areas of need. If they went with Brown in the 2nd, I'd love to see them take Erik McCoy with the 3rd round pick. He's a great run-blocker who could play center with Linder moving to guard. 

To those who say that pick 7 is too high for a tight end, I disagree. Hockenson can do it all and will improve both the passing and running games with his unique talents. Ideally, they could trade back a few spots and get an extra pick, but I don't see this happening since both Murray and Haskins will be gone.

if you think they are both gonna be all pros this isn't close

Trading down to 11-15 would be a good spot to land OT Dillard, supposedly the best pass protector of the crop. Then Cam could go to RT, where he’d excel. The problem with drafting Ford or the other 1st round rated OTs is the team would just be adding another Cam clone.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(03-04-2019, 02:52 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:

I agree.

No.

Did having Marcedes Lewis make up for a bad offensive line when he was here?

He was kept in to block, and his receiving skills were minimized as a result.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!