Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2019 Site Wide Mock Discussion Thead

Gary seems logical

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I feel Gary is like a Taven Bryan pick. He will replace Vernon

I'd be terrified to take Gary

(03-23-2019, 02:16 PM)JackCity Wrote: I'd be terrified to take Gary

He's one of those guys that looks unstoppable when you see his workout numbers, but when you see him play on the field, looks completely average and at times he disappears altogether. Something just isn't translating to his play on the field. If he could ever harness all that athleticism on game day he could be a "beast," but up to now he hasn't done it. If you take him, you are definitely drafting for potential, but that may never come together for him. He is the ultimate boom or bust type player.

(03-23-2019, 02:51 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-23-2019, 02:16 PM)JackCity Wrote: I'd be terrified to take Gary

He's one of those guys that looks unstoppable when you see his workout numbers, but when you see him play on the field, looks completely average and at times he disappears altogether. Something just isn't translating to his play on the field. If he could ever harness all that athleticism on game day he could be a "beast," but up to now he hasn't done it. If you take him, you are definitely drafting for potential, but that may never come together for him. He is the ultimate boom or bust type player.

Yeah exactly. The fact he was so good athletically but did so little with it is too worrying to draft in the 1st for me. Someone like Smoot is far far less athletic than Gary but did way more with it production wise in the same conference. I guess they hope he's Danielle Hunter 2.0

(03-23-2019, 04:05 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-23-2019, 02:51 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: He's one of those guys that looks unstoppable when you see his workout numbers, but when you see him play on the field, looks completely average and at times he disappears altogether. Something just isn't translating to his play on the field. If he could ever harness all that athleticism on game day he could be a "beast," but up to now he hasn't done it. If you take him, you are definitely drafting for potential, but that may never come together for him. He is the ultimate boom or bust type player.

Yeah exactly. The fact he was so good athletically but did so little with it is too worrying to draft in the 1st for me. Someone like Smoot is far far less athletic than Gary but did way more with it production wise in the same conference. I guess they hope he's Danielle Hunter 2.0

Gambling on Gary's athleticism makes sense at some point. But it's definitely not at 7 over Sweat or Oliver. I hate that he's the DL mocked to us the most often.

(03-23-2019, 04:07 PM)Upper Wrote:
(03-23-2019, 04:05 PM)JackCity Wrote: Yeah exactly. The fact he was so good athletically but did so little with it is too worrying to draft in the 1st for me. Someone like Smoot is far far less athletic than Gary but did way more with it production wise in the same conference. I guess they hope he's Danielle Hunter 2.0

Gambling on Gary's athleticism makes sense at some point. But it's definitely not at 7 over Sweat or Oliver. I hate that he's the DL mocked to us the most often.

If we take a DE at #7, much less Gary, I'll be ready to dump this team. We don't need a starting DE. We could use DE depth, but you don't draft depth in the first 3 rounds when you're coming off a bad season with a losing record. We drafted for depth in the first round last year with Bryan and it bit us in the butt. We had real needs that we ignored. We need to build for now.

(03-23-2019, 04:32 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-23-2019, 04:07 PM)Upper Wrote: Gambling on Gary's athleticism makes sense at some point. But it's definitely not at 7 over Sweat or Oliver. I hate that he's the DL mocked to us the most often.

If we take a DE at #7, much less Gary, I'll be ready to dump this team. We don't need a starting DE. We could use DE depth, but you don't draft depth in the first 3 rounds when you're coming off a bad season with a losing record. We drafted for depth in the first round last year with Bryan and it bit us in the butt. We had real needs that we ignored. We need to build for now.

taking someone you have pegged as becoming top tier pass rusher is never a bad choice, even if there are better choices around. Calais is likely gone next year and we have next to nothing outside him and Yan. 
And no we didn't draft for depth with Byran , we drafted him because he has massive upside at a key position we had a need at with Malik going

(03-23-2019, 05:03 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-23-2019, 04:32 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: If we take a DE at #7, much less Gary, I'll be ready to dump this team. We don't need a starting DE. We could use DE depth, but you don't draft depth in the first 3 rounds when you're coming off a bad season with a losing record. We drafted for depth in the first round last year with Bryan and it bit us in the butt. We had real needs that we ignored. We need to build for now.

taking someone you have pegged as becoming top tier pass rusher is never a bad choice, even if there are better choices around. Calais is likely gone next year and we have next to nothing outside him and Yan. 
And no we didn't draft for depth with Byran , we drafted him because he has massive upside at a key position we had a need at with Malik going

Next year is the key. We have Calais this year. We can draft his replacement in 2020. Until then, Campbell and Yannick are one of the best DE duos in the NFL and we have massive needs in other areas (TE being one) and a TE in this draft that is most definitely one of the top 10 overall players. You and I can agree to disagree about Bryan. Bryan was a rotational player last season as Campbell and Jackson started, so he was indeed used as depth in 2018. We could've used that pick to address a different area with a better player, at a need area and filled the void left by Jackson a few weeks ago in this coming draft with an extremely talented 3 technique from a much deeper class. I had Bryan as a 4th round pick at best and so far, he has shown nothing to make me change my mind.

(03-23-2019, 05:31 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-23-2019, 05:03 PM)JackCity Wrote: taking someone you have pegged as becoming top tier pass rusher is never a bad choice, even if there are better choices around. Calais is likely gone next year and we have next to nothing outside him and Yan. 

Next year is the key. We have Calais this year. We can draft his replacement in 2020. Until then, Campbell and Yannick are one of the best DE duos in the NFL and we have massive needs in other areas (TE being one) and a TE in this draft that is most definitely one of the top 10 overall players. You and I can agree to disagree about Bryan. Bryan was a rotational player last season as Campbell and Jackson started, so he was indeed used as depth in 2018. We could've used that pick to address a different area with a better player, at a need area and filled the void left by Jackson a few weeks ago in this coming draft with an extremely talented 3 technique from a much deeper class. I had Bryan as a 4th round pick at best and so far, he has shown nothing to make me change my mind.

Plugging your holes before you need them >>>

The point being the purpose behind drafting Bryan wasn't based on filling depth...it was having a high ceiling pass rusher in place when one of our key players goes, same as the situation would be for pass rusher at #7. Whether you like him or not thats what the idea behind it was. I would have preferred Hernandez.  

If the Jags front office have a pass rusher at #7 who they think will become a top tier pass rusher...well then thats automatically one of the most valuable players in the entire draft. While I'd rather a different spot,I'm not gonna knock them for drafting a top tier pass rusher..

(03-23-2019, 06:41 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-23-2019, 05:31 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Next year is the key. We have Calais this year. We can draft his replacement in 2020. Until then, Campbell and Yannick are one of the best DE duos in the NFL and we have massive needs in other areas (TE being one) and a TE in this draft that is most definitely one of the top 10 overall players. You and I can agree to disagree about Bryan. Bryan was a rotational player last season as Campbell and Jackson started, so he was indeed used as depth in 2018. We could've used that pick to address a different area with a better player, at a need area and filled the void left by Jackson a few weeks ago in this coming draft with an extremely talented 3 technique from a much deeper class. I had Bryan as a 4th round pick at best and so far, he has shown nothing to make me change my mind.

Plugging your holes before you need them >>>

The point being the purpose behind drafting Bryan wasn't based on filling depth...it was having a high ceiling pass rusher in place when one of our key players goes, same as the situation would be for pass rusher at #7. Whether you like him or not thats what the idea behind it was. I would have preferred Hernandez.  

If the Jags front office have a pass rusher at #7 who they think will become a top tier pass rusher...well then thats automatically one of the most valuable players in the entire draft. While I'd rather a different spot,I'm not gonna knock them for drafting a top tier pass rusher..

I 100% disagree about filling holes before you need them. In my mind that is completely wasteful and in the end, you still leave gaping holes on your roster when you don't address real needs. On top of that, can someone please explain to me how Bryan is supposed to be this "high ceiling" pass rusher when he only had 5.5 sacks and 10.5 tackles for loss in a 3 year college career at Florida? To me, he is no different than Rashan Gary, only Bryan was even less productive. I don't trust the front office to make the right decision after what they did in the last draft.

(03-23-2019, 07:15 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-23-2019, 06:41 PM)JackCity Wrote: Plugging your holes before you need them >>>

I 100% disagree about filling holes before you need them. In my mind that is completely wasteful and in the end, you still leave gaping holes on your roster when you don't address real needs. On top of that, can someone please explain to me how Bryan is supposed to be this "high ceiling" pass rusher when he only had 5.5 sacks and 10.5 tackles for loss in a 3 year college career at Florida? To me, he is no different than Rashan Gary, only Bryan was even less productive. I don't trust the front office to make the right decision after what they did in the last draft.

Drafting holes before you need them is how we have Ronnie Harrison in place to take over after Church fell off a cliff. It doesn't mean you ignore current needs , it just means having the foresight to addressing potential needs in a year or two as well can be very beneficial (all the best franchises do this consistently well). 

Bryan got consistently better and was very good his final year, a lot better than Gary has ever been at any point. His pressure to snap ratio was one of the best in class.

So while I preferred Hernandez, I understood them taking a freak athlete 3 tech with very high upside. My main bone of contention there is having a very raw pass rusher asked to be the main source of interior pressure in year 2, but we will see how that goes

(03-23-2019, 04:32 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: If we take a DE at #7, much less Gary, I'll be ready to dump this team.

DL is not my first wish (actually I take that back Sweat is getting pretty close to my favorite option at this point), but I think it's a very realistic possibility.

(03-23-2019, 07:41 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-23-2019, 07:15 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I 100% disagree about filling holes before you need them. In my mind that is completely wasteful and in the end, you still leave gaping holes on your roster when you don't address real needs. On top of that, can someone please explain to me how Bryan is supposed to be this "high ceiling" pass rusher when he only had 5.5 sacks and 10.5 tackles for loss in a 3 year college career at Florida? To me, he is no different than Rashan Gary, only Bryan was even less productive. I don't trust the front office to make the right decision after what they did in the last draft.

Drafting holes before you need them is how we have Ronnie Harrison in place to take over after Church fell off a cliff. It doesn't mean you ignore current needs , it just means having the foresight to addressing potential needs in a year or two as well can be very beneficial (all the best franchises do this consistently well). 

Bryan got consistently better and was very good his final year, a lot better than Gary has ever been at any point. His pressure to snap ratio was one of the best in class.

So while I preferred Hernandez, I understood them taking a freak athlete 3 tech with very high upside. My main bone of contention there is having a very raw pass rusher asked to be the main source of interior pressure in year 2, but we will see how that goes

But if you draft ahead, you are gonna ignore current needs. You only have so many draft picks and if you use them to draft holes before you need them, the current holes you have are not gonna get filled. Just like what happened with OG and TE last season. Those areas got ignored and it impacted how our offense performed. 

Seriously? Bryan's stats did not reflect that and when I watched a couple games from his Junior year, he did nothing. Literally, his name was hardly ever called. I don't like Gary at all, but he is a much better player than Taven was/is. At least Gary does flash at times. 

I will never understand spending a first round pick on a player with "potential," when that "potential" has never transferred to real production on the field. I'm expecting a huge drop off in play from Jackson to Bryan, but I'm willing to give the guy a chance. I'm just not expecting much at all, maybe 2 sacks and 5 tackles for loss. I have a feeling 3 technique will be a high priority in 2020.

(03-23-2019, 07:57 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-23-2019, 07:41 PM)JackCity Wrote: Drafting holes before you need them is how we have Ronnie Harrison in place to take over after Church fell off a cliff. It doesn't mean you ignore current needs , it just means having the foresight to addressing potential needs in a year or two as well can be very beneficial (all the best franchises do this consistently well). 

But if you draft ahead, you are gonna ignore current needs. You only have so many draft picks and if you use them to draft holes before you need them, the current holes you have are not gonna get filled. Just like what happened with OG and TE last season. Those areas got ignored and it impacted how our offense performed. 

Seriously? Bryan's stats did not reflect that and when I watched a couple games from his Junior year, he did nothing. Literally, his name was hardly ever called. I don't like Gary at all, but he is a much better player than Taven was/is. At least Gary does flash at times. 

I will never understand spending a first round pick on a player with "potential," when that "potential" has never transferred to real production on the field. I'm expecting a huge drop off in play from Jackson to Bryan, but I'm willing to give the guy a chance. I'm just not expecting much at all, maybe 2 sacks and 5 tackles for loss. I have a feeling 3 technique will be a high priority in 2020.

You do both. Team building is not a one year event and GMs don't draft based on the needs of one season as much as fans think they should. It's not an either or discussion.

Pressure IS production for pass rushers, so your assertion that it never translated into the field for Bryan is incorrect, despite what you may have watched. 

Yes I agree the drop off between the two is gonna be a big deal . Hopefully we get more Calais at 3 tech but at the same time we have very little if any good depth behind him to play outside.

I would have no problem with DE in the first, it's actually a position of relative immediate need considering we have very little depth behind the starters and it is a position where you need to rotate to keep the players fresh, and it's definitely a position of long term need with Campbell's age. This season we would be able to use Ngakoue and the rookie as ends in pass rushing situations, with Calais moving inside. It would help short term and long term. If either Bosa or Allen are there at 7 it's a no-brainer, but I'd generally be ok with Burns or Sweat at 7 too if they think it's worth it. Sweat could be seen as the long term replacement for Campbell. If they think those players are much better than others available then I'm fine with it. Not my first choice, but I'd be fine with it.

(03-24-2019, 10:56 AM)JagJohn Wrote: I would have no problem with DE in the first, it's actually a position of relative immediate need considering we have very little depth behind the starters and it is a position where you need to rotate to keep the players fresh, and it's definitely a position of long term need with Campbell's age. This season we would be able to use Ngakoue and the rookie as ends in pass rushing situations, with Calais moving inside. It would help short term and long term. If either Bosa or Allen are there at 7 it's a no-brainer, but I'd generally be ok with Burns or Sweat at 7 too if they think it's worth it. Sweat could be seen as the long term replacement for Campbell. If they think those players are much better than others available then I'm fine with it. Not my first choice, but I'd be fine with it.

I don’t disagree with you on any of this. Just wanted to point out that they do have some decent depth there. No big impact players coming off the bench, but McCray has gotten pressure rotating w/ Ngakoue. Smoot can spell either side situationally, and the wild card Lyndon Johnson has flashed at big end a few times. 

No world beaters, but guys that can rotate and occasionally pressure. 

Another big threat would be amazing if the right guy falls, sure. 
Of course I hope they can find value in an offensive player at 7 or in a trade down, but if premier defensive talent is staring you in the face at your pick with no worthy trade offers...
Probably gotta just take advantage of the good fortune. Good timing or not.

(03-24-2019, 11:27 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-24-2019, 10:56 AM)JagJohn Wrote: I would have no problem with DE in the first, it's actually a position of relative immediate need considering we have very little depth behind the starters and it is a position where you need to rotate to keep the players fresh, and it's definitely a position of long term need with Campbell's age. This season we would be able to use Ngakoue and the rookie as ends in pass rushing situations, with Calais moving inside. It would help short term and long term. If either Bosa or Allen are there at 7 it's a no-brainer, but I'd generally be ok with Burns or Sweat at 7 too if they think it's worth it. Sweat could be seen as the long term replacement for Campbell. If they think those players are much better than others available then I'm fine with it. Not my first choice, but I'd be fine with it.

I don’t disagree with you on any of this. Just wanted to point out that they do have some decent depth there. No big impact players coming off the bench, but McCray has gotten pressure rotating w/ Ngakoue. Smoot can spell either side situationally, and the wild card Lyndon Johnson has flashed at big end a few times. 

Of course I hope they can find value in an offensive player at 7 or in a trade down, but if premier defensive talent is staring you in the face at your pick with no worthy trade offers...

Yeah, for me it just comes down to how difficult it is to find top-class pass rushers. In my book pass rusher is probably the second most important position on a football team, and if you pass up a top-class pass rusher because you need to fill a need at TE or RT then you are doing it all wrong. No team ever failed because they had too many good pass rushers, that's for sure.

(03-24-2019, 11:41 AM)JagJohn Wrote:
(03-24-2019, 11:27 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I don’t disagree with you on any of this. Just wanted to point out that they do have some decent depth there. No big impact players coming off the bench, but McCray has gotten pressure rotating w/ Ngakoue. Smoot can spell either side situationally, and the wild card Lyndon Johnson has flashed at big end a few times. 

Yeah, for me it just comes down to how difficult it is to find top-class pass rushers. In my book pass rusher is probably the second most important position on a football team, and if you pass up a top-class pass rusher because you need to fill a need at TE or RT then you are doing it all wrong. No team ever failed because they had too many good pass rushers, that's for sure.

Agreed.

(This post was last modified: 03-24-2019, 11:55 AM by JackCity.)

I do think we have a very good pick this year.

Just in that sweet spot of being able to possibly take the #1 Oline, #1 TE and a top 5 Dline prospect in a loaded classes for each