Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is Blake Bortles injured?

(This post was last modified: 10-11-2016, 09:56 AM by keeper88.)

Quote:Not injured, just not that good.
Careful, you're running the risk of being called the ignorant, inept, <insert other moronic word>, local huckleberry Jags fan who doesn't understand BB5's true greatness.  Your eye's just aren't seeing things correctly, he doesn't have throwing or accuracy or decision making issues.  He doesn't regularly stare down receivers then throw a duck to cap it off, he doesn't regularly not see open receivers, etc..  The majority of NFL pundits outside of the 904 & 386 area codes suffer from the same visual issues for the past 2 years too (yes, including the incredible 2015 "elite" stats).  So you'll be sorry, BB5 is going to leave us idiots in Jax who don't know football and become the next Tom Brady wherever he goes.  There were many teal-lense wearing people who held that position to the very end with Mr. Leftwich (who actually at least threw a better ball by the way) --  anyone care to own up to that and how that turned out??

FWIW, I don't hate BB5, I think he's a good guy and I still believe he is working hard to improve.  Money is only money, I actually feel sorry for him and the position he finds himself in.  I still wear my #5 jersey every Sunday with the same *hope*, albeit greatly diminished and almost gone, that I had when he was drafted.  It was only hope then too, because I scratched my head at drafting what everyone said was a "project" at #3.  When you draft a QB at #3 and part of his ability to succeed (much less become the franchise QB we need) in the NFL is physics based -- i.e. re-creating his throwing motion and fixing accuracy issues, that's a big gamble.  As of now we (and Dave/Gus) have lost on that gamble.  I just want this team to contend again, and we aren't close, the QB is a big part of that though not entirely...  And I'm tired of the pretending otherwise which is just delaying things and keeping us literally in the laughing stock basement of the NFL.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I agree that drafting someone 3rd overall and knowing you have to fix how he THROWS THE FOOTBALL is a huge gamble.  

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Careful, you're running the risk of being called the ignorant, inept, <insert other moronic word>, local huckleberry Jags fan who doesn't understand BB5's true greatness.  Your eye's just aren't seeing things correctly, he doesn't have throwing or accuracy or decision making issues.  He doesn't regularly stare down receivers then throw a duck to cap it off, he doesn't regularly not see open receivers, etc..  The majority of NFL pundits outside of the 904 & 386 area codes suffer from the same visual issues for the past 2 years too (yes, including the incredible 2015 "elite" stats).  So you'll be sorry, BB5 is going to leave us idiots in Jax who don't know football and become the next Tom Brady wherever he goes.  There were many teal-lense wearing people who held that position to the very end with Mr. Leftwich (who actually at least threw a better ball by the way) --  anyone care to own up to that and how that turned out??

FWIW, I don't hate BB5, I think he's a good guy and I still believe he is working hard to improve.  Money is only money, I actually feel sorry for him and the position he finds himself in.  I still wear my #5 jersey every Sunday with the same *hope*, albeit greatly diminished and almost gone, that I had when he was drafted.  It was only hope then too, because I scratched my head at drafting what everyone said was a "project" at #3.  When you draft a QB at #3 and part of his ability to succeed (much less become the franchise QB we need) in the NFL is physics based -- i.e. re-creating his throwing motion and fixing accuracy issues, that's a big gamble.  As of now we (and Dave/Gus) have lost on that gamble.  I just want this team to contend again, and we aren't close, the QB is a big part of that though not entirely...  And I'm tired of the pretending otherwise which is just delaying things and keeping us literally in the laughing stock basement of the NFL.

exactly, I route for him and even stick up for him when people bash him.  I'm just skeptical about how good he really is.

[Image: Brunell_sig_zps13c33193.jpg]

Quote:I'm not sure 20-25 attempts is realistic/sustainable in today's NFL. Ive always though the magic number was 30. I've come to the place where I believe you need a Minnesota or Denver level defense and a purely conservative/game manager type QB.

We have neither. The defense might eventually get there but I don't ever see Blake being a conservative QB.

Yup. Like it or not, those types of teams are what win titles most of the time.

Quote:exactly, I route for him and even stick up for him when people bash him. I'm just skeptical about how good he really is.
Because every team has a QB like Rodgers or Brady! Oh wait they don't. He's still just a kid.
You either die as a good poster, or live long enough to become the troll.

Quote:Yup. Like it or not, those types of teams are what win titles most of the time.
Denver did it on defense last year because you know the QB play was horribad!
You either die as a good poster, or live long enough to become the troll.

Take the pressure off Bortles, and I bet he improves. Give him a running game. Stop putting him in 3rd and long situations.

He's got problems with his mechanics and his accuracy. But we know those can be fixed, because we saw it last year.

Just got off the phone with Blake. Asked me how I got this number and never call him again. He sounded healthy.

Quote:Because every team has a QB like Rodgers or Brady! Oh wait they don't. He's still just a kid.

That's why I'm not righting him off.
[Image: Brunell_sig_zps13c33193.jpg]

Brunell had Fred Taylor.  Garrard had Mojo.

Quote:Take the pressure off Bortles, and I bet he improves. Give him a running game. Stop putting him in 3rd and long situations.

He's got problems with his mechanics and his accuracy. But we know those can be fixed, because we saw it last year.

That's just the problem, we didn't see "it" last year. Go back and watch again. These issues have been there all along, including last year. I saw it then too but wanted to believe, and let others back me down. But look past the flawed stats.. look at the games, the duck throws, the stare downs and bad decisions, the regular inaccuracy, the jump ball save big plays by the Allens, and yes a fair number of garbage time plays. It's all right there guys, and still there, sorry to say..

Quote:Brunell had Fred Taylor.  Garrard had Mojo
Hey don't forget Matt Jones as well. Those were the days man.

Quote:Just got off the phone with Blake. Asked me how I got this number and never call him again. He sounded healthy.

Sounds like ole grad school 25 year old Brit Jag in DC, 2003, who absolutely dialed Brenda Leftwich and asked why her son was still holding out, and if he'll sign soon. The next week, ink to paper. No, it wasn't because of me. But it was a 202 to 202 call...she was hella jolted, and extremely nice on the phone. #Deep ties. #Shameless atta boy. #Scotch
Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2016, 05:14 AM by Brevardcnc88.)

I'm going to break it down as un-biased as possible.

Bortles current pros: 

He is a "gamer". He competes, and can and will do his job and then some until the last second of the game.

He has proven he CAN put up gaudy numbers.

Has proven that he *can* make good throws

Has proven that he *can* use good mechanics.

He is young, very young, and young players can ALWAYS improve. You really never know.

His current cons:

His mechanics have regressed in a major way, whether by injury, by trying to do too much, or simple, ordinary regression.

He has not proven that he can be consistently accurate in his ball-placement. Yes, his completion percentage is up, and I suppose that means something, but if you watch him throw, his ball placement simply isn't very good.

His turnovers are still very, very high in the beginning of his third season. The reasons, and excuses and faults are debatable, but high turnovers are high turnovers.

I am in the camp in that I don't worry all that much about the turnovers. They are what they are, and I'd like to see them drop but I don't feel they are his biggest problem.

In my admittedly amateur opinion, he HAS to find a way, with help from coaches or gurus or whoever, to get his mechanics fixed in a permanent, or at least consistent manner.

I firmly believe if he can fix his mechanics to AT LEAST last years level (preferably better), he will reach his ceiling because in spite of his turnovers I do believe he is learning to play smarter with the football.

He isn't playing franchise ball, and needs to show more, with time, or he'll be gone, like many many many of his caliber, with vast talents but not complete (or functional) packages. It's an unforgiving league. He knows that, and it's ultimately that simple.

Or, we can stick with him over time and become the formidable Bears/Cutler we'll face next week. Even if Cutler doesn't play, you get the drift. I know football is rocket surgery, but scotch allows us slower ones to say it in slow terms sometimes. (Defensive output not factored)
Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.