Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Draft hopes and nightmares

(04-05-2019, 09:34 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: biggest overall hope:

Draft a stud TE and a player that will compete for the RT spot.

biggest overall nightmare:

Two or more of the four picks from #7-#109 are defensive players and one of them is a luxury pick.  
I think we need to find value in three of those four picks specifically for offense.

Though I  have concerns about missing out on a stud TE or RT, I  don't think I share your aversion to two defensive players in the top 4 picks.

Assuming we can acquire a TE and RT, I would be fine with 2 defensive players, especially since you could argue immediate need at FS, and impending need along the D line.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-05-2019, 09:43 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-05-2019, 09:34 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: biggest overall hope:

Draft a stud TE and a player that will compete for the RT spot.

biggest overall nightmare:

Two or more of the four picks from #7-#109 are defensive players and one of them is a luxury pick.  
I think we need to find value in three of those four picks specifically for offense.

Though I  have concerns about missing out on a stud TE or RT, I  don't think I share your aversion to two defensive players in the top 4 picks.

Assuming we can acquire a TE and RT, I would be fine with 2 defensive players, especially since you could argue immediate need at FS, and impending need along the D line.

I get it.  It's a point of departure this year in draft discussions. Your proposal isn't necessarily a "nightmare" and it's even a real possibility. 

I'm just 
a: not so certain how dire the need at FS is exactly and
b: feel strongly that the pieces around Foles are not good enough or deep enough to insure consistent production

So - for me - I'd be thrilled with one of the top dog defenders at #7 if one falls and then three offensive contributors. 
Or - Three offensive players and a Darnell Savage FS mixed in at  pick #69.  (or similar)

I'm just a bit more concerned about getting the pieces in place to make the Flip/Foles offense humming along and moving chains. And i think they need three of those picks so lock that down.

(04-05-2019, 09:54 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-05-2019, 09:43 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Though I  have concerns about missing out on a stud TE or RT, I  don't think I share your aversion to two defensive players in the top 4 picks.

I get it.  It's a point of departure this year in draft discussions. Your proposal isn't necessarily a "nightmare" and it's even a real possibility. 

I'm just 
b: feel strongly that the pieces around Foles are not good enough or deep enough to insure consistent production

So - for me - I'd be thrilled with one of the top dog defenders at #7 if one falls and then three offensive contributors. 
Or - Three offensive players and a Darnell Savage FS mixed in at  pick #69.  (or similar)

I'm just a bit more concerned about getting the pieces in place to make the Flip/Foles offense humming along and moving chains. And i think they need three of those picks so lock that down.

Believe me, your position is in no way unreasonable.

I have long observed that when teams acquire a QB, the sensible inclination is to surround them with as much talent as possible and give them the tools to succeed. 

Your post falls squarely within that philosophy.

I think the offense can be successful by adding the studs at RT and TE, and the remainder returning to good health.  I also believe the defense fell off some last year, and adding another effective edge rusher and FS, in addition to the above players, will help the team overall.

Remember, even if you think the offense needs more players than just RT and TE, we have 5 picks between 7 and 107, and I  believe there will be good value at RB WR and interior OL at the bottom of the 3rd and top of the 4th.

(04-05-2019, 10:16 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-05-2019, 09:54 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I get it.  It's a point of departure this year in draft discussions. Your proposal isn't necessarily a "nightmare" and it's even a real possibility. 

I'm just 

Believe me, your position is in no way unreasonable.

I have long observed that when teams acquire a QB, the sensible inclination is to surround them with as much talent as possible and give them the tools to succeed. 

Your post falls squarely within that philosophy.

I think the offense can be successful by adding the studs at RT and TE, and the remainder returning to good health.  I also believe the defense fell off some last year, and adding another effective edge rusher and FS, in addition to the above players, will help the team overall.

Remember, even if you think the offense needs more players than just RT and TE, we have 5 picks between 7 and 107, and I  believe there will be good value at RB WR and interior OL at the bottom of the 3rd and top of the 4th.

Yes. That fourth rounder could definitely be used for a C.O.P. back or a good depth receiver IMO. I've been monitoring players projected to fall there with that in mind. 

And regarding that philosophy:  My version of it is a slight variation on the common one you described. 
I'm looking at it as having a defense in place that will likely give you 9 or 10 chances to win with a relatively low score offensively -- so now just go make certain that you are equipped to put up 23 points or more consistently. 

Injury history and a few missing pieces just don't have me confident in that capability just yet.

(04-05-2019, 09:54 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-05-2019, 09:43 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Though I  have concerns about missing out on a stud TE or RT, I  don't think I share your aversion to two defensive players in the top 4 picks.

I'm just 

I'd be fine with taking just 1 defensive player in the top 4 picks. Specifically, I'd like either Ed Oliver in the first or Nasir Adderley in the 2nd. Both would be big contributors right away.

These will probably be famous last words, but I don't see how the jags can really have a nightmare draft. With the first pick I can see how multiple different players could be justified at 7, and unless they make some crazy alualu style reach I probably won't be too shocked or disappointed with whichever route they choose.

As for the draft as a whole, I'll be disappointed if they don't come away with a new starting TE drafted in the first three rounds, and at least one o-lineman drafted in the first 5 picks.

Now to sit back and watch the Jags find new and ingenious ways to mess this up.

I guess since my long famous "Fowler, Yeldon, Greene" nightmare scenario post got ridiculed so much (and then was proven right), I should do it again.

This time I only really have a few major nightmares though. I really don't want Taylor, Jonah, or Gary at 7, and I really don't want Little on day 2. I haven't really seen much else that would make me sick to my stomach.

Sorry I just cursed us into Gary at 7 and Little at 38 everyone.

(04-05-2019, 11:15 AM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(04-05-2019, 09:54 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I get it.  It's a point of departure this year in draft discussions. Your proposal isn't necessarily a "nightmare" and it's even a real possibility. 

I'm just 

I'd be fine with taking just 1 defensive player in the top 4 picks. Specifically, I'd like either Ed Oliver in the first or Nasir Adderley in the 2nd. Both would be big contributors right away.
Out of curiosity where would you play Ed Oliver?I mean if he is the quintessential 3-technique, that spot is currently occupied by Taven Bryan.  Do you give up on Bryan?  Do you move either one?

(04-05-2019, 12:16 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-05-2019, 11:15 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: I'd be fine with taking just 1 defensive player in the top 4 picks. Specifically, I'd like either Ed Oliver in the first or Nasir Adderley in the 2nd. Both would be big contributors right away.
Out of curiosity where would you play Ed Oliver?I mean if he is the quintessential 3-technique, that spot is currently occupied by Taven Bryan.  Do you give up on Bryan?  Do you move either one?

Bryan’s anticipated role would be reduced a bit and they could just be more creative situationally with rotation combinations of:
Dareus/Oliver/Bryan/Jones.

Campbell-Oliver-Bryan-Yannick in a passing down would be unreal

(04-05-2019, 08:49 AM)fredalwaysajag Wrote: How would we feel about drafting A.J. Brown 7th overall? If he turns into a Julio/Josh Gordon type player.  I think he can be what Blackmon should have for this team. A better option for Foles than Alshon.  I was on the Metcalf train but this kid is obviously a better all around receiver. Gotta get Foles a Go To Reciever. TE is deep. Pause

I would feel like we left a LOT of good talent on the board, and likely overdrafted a guy we could get 10-ish picks or later than where we picked him.

If we traded back, got a day 2 or future day1/2 pick and landed Brown, I would be satisfied.

(04-05-2019, 12:16 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-05-2019, 11:15 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: I'd be fine with taking just 1 defensive player in the top 4 picks. Specifically, I'd like either Ed Oliver in the first or Nasir Adderley in the 2nd. Both would be big contributors right away.

That's a good point. Hopefully, Bryan will become an effective 3-technique player, but the Jags often rotate their defensive linemen to keep them fresh. It wouldn't be the worst thing to have both guys, especially if Oliver becomes a very disruptive player at this position as I expect.

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2019, 04:15 PM by Bullseye.)

A draft hope of mine is strange coming from me, in light of the debates we had on here last year.

But a hope of mine is that the Packers send both of their first round picks to us to move up to seven.  At 11 we would take Hockenson or Fant, and at 30 we take McGary.

Admittedly these hopes are far-fetched.  They are based on Aaron Rodgers being 36 years old by season's end, the apparent friction between Rodgers and Packers' brass, the Packers' history of taking a good QB prospect even though they have a Hall of Fame QB on the roster, the availability of a couple of good young QB prospect's, and my greed for the Jaguars to get as much talent as possible.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...a-mistake/

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...e-problem/

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2019, 04:14 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(04-05-2019, 04:04 PM)Bullseye Wrote: A draft hope of mine is strange coming from me, in light of the debates we had on here last year.

But a hope of mine is that the Packers send both of their first round picks to us to move up to seven.  At 11 we would take Hockenson or Fant, and at 30 we take McGary.

Admittedly these hopes are far-fetched.  They are based on Aaron Rodgers being 36 years old by season's end, the apparent friction between Rodgers and Packers' brass, the Packers' history of taking a good QB prospect even though they have a Hall of Fame QB on the roster, the availability of a couple of good young QB prospect's, and my greed for the Jaguars to get as much talent as possible.

I think we will get trade offers from Mia, Cinci, and possibly Dev. if Lock is still available.  The question is will Dave and Tom make the move. I doubt we get an extra first though, I think it will be there 2nd and possibly a 4th or 5th

(04-05-2019, 04:13 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-05-2019, 04:04 PM)Bullseye Wrote: A draft hope of mine is strange coming from me, in light of the debates we had on here last year.

I think we will get trade offers from Mia, Cinci, and possibly Dev. if Lock is still available.  The question is will Dave and Tom make the move.  I doubt we get an extra first though, I think it will be there 2nd and possibly a 4th or 5th
Cincy represents a mild surprise.

(04-05-2019, 04:22 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-05-2019, 04:13 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I think we will get trade offers from Mia, Cinci, and possibly Dev. if Lock is still available.  The question is will Dave and Tom make the move.  I doubt we get an extra first though, I think it will be there 2nd and possibly a 4th or 5th
Cincy represents a mild surprise.

Bengals has a new head coach and with Daltons up and down play over the years it wouldnt shock me if Zac Taylor wanted to trade up for his QB

(04-05-2019, 08:49 AM)fredalwaysajag Wrote: How would we feel about drafting A.J. Brown 7th overall? If he turns into a Julio/Josh Gordon type player.  I think he can be what Blackmon should have for this team. A better option for Foles than Alshon.  I was on the Metcalf train but this kid is obviously a better all around receiver. Gotta get Foles a Go To Reciever. TE is deep. Pause

I'd feel like killing myself. Brown is probably gonna be taken at the top of round 2. Drafting him at #7 would mean our scouting department needs to be fired.

(04-05-2019, 04:53 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-05-2019, 04:22 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Cincy represents a mild surprise.

Bengals has a new head coach and with Daltons up and down play over the years it wouldnt shock me if Zac Taylor wanted to trade up for his QB

That's why I called it a mild surprise.

Dalton is good enough and still young enough to where the Bengals are not in dire straits at QB, and they don't pick low enough to make hoping for one of the QBs to fall to them a fool's errand.

By the same token, Dalton doesn't have the level of success to completely justify ignoring the position, he has a brand new coach, and the team picks low enough to possibly need to trade up to get one of those signal callers.

(04-05-2019, 01:54 PM)Mikey Wrote:

I would feel like we left a LOT of good talent on the board, and likely overdrafted a guy we could get 10-ish picks or later than where we picked him.

If we traded back, got a day 2 or future day1/2 pick and landed Brown, I would be satisfied.
Good point. I'd love for us to acquire some addtl capital and go out and still get a playmaker like Brown later.
(04-05-2019, 05:10 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

I'd feel like killing myself. Brown is probably gonna be taken at the top of round 2. Drafting him at #7 would mean our scouting department needs to be fired.

Idk.. I just got a good feeling about this guy's future success in the league. He's a strong receiver with good size and hands and decent speed. He's gonna be a playmaker.

YouTube carried me into some rnd1 reactions after the 1st rnd selections last year. Chris Simms was criticizing Atlanta's pick of Calvin Ridley in the 1st. Said they needed dline help and that Taven Bryan was still on the board. We never really know. Give me a guy like Brown over a guy like Oliver, for example.
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

My hope: trade back, trade back, trade back- swap with Denver at 10, even Cincinnati at 11 (time to replace Dalton), Washington at 15, or Miami at 15 and pick up whatever, a extra 2nd and 5th maybe. There's at least 15 players in the draft who would be a great pick for us so I don't think whether we pick anywhere 7-15 even matters.

My nightmare (s): Metcalf (neck injury is a major red flag); Marquise Brown (Lisfranc is also a red flag). Don't draft injured/rehabbing players IMO.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile