Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Searcy Speaks

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2019, 09:01 PM by Bullseye.)

(04-14-2019, 11:28 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-14-2019, 10:42 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Let me say that I am unsure how switching Cam from LT to RT will solve the problem with his technique.  If anything, I am inclined to believe that could exacerbate any technique issues because now his techniques will have to be reversed to accommodate the switch.

However, a Dillard selection would be in line with the secrecy this franchise tends to operate with.  Few seem to have a handle on what the Jaguars are going to do on draft day.

In 2001, most wanted/thought Kenyatta Walker, the RT from UF, would be the pick.  Turns out, the team picked Stroud.

In 2005, NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY predicted Matt Jones to be the first round pick.

In 2010, NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY predicted Tyson Alualu would be the 10th overall pick.

The team surprised most with Blake Bortles in 2014, and Taven Bryan came as a surprise last year.

75% awful with one TBD. Let's hope they stray from history this year.
A few points of clarification:

While I wholly endorse the pre-draft secrecy, it was not my intent to tie the secrecy to the accuracy of the scouting and quality of drafting for the purposes of my analysis.  The team could have easily maintained the same level of secrecy and got most of the picks right.

Furthermore, my citation of those years and the drafts were not supposed to be a comprehensive catalog of the Jaguars employing pre draft secrecy.  Like all NFL teams, the Jaguars do not want to tip their hands before the draft.  The four years I listed happened to be the ones that most readily came to mind when the media and Jaguars fanbase as a whole were particularly off base when it came to the Jaguars intentions.  They were meant to illustrate some years the team surprises us more than usual.  

Based upon the general pre draft conjecture, both on the board here and elsewhere on TV and the web, a selection of Dillard would be more surprising than a selection of Taylor.  But that secrecy doesn't make that pick any better, outside of whether hiding their intention precludes teams from trading above them to take the player they are targeting.

Edit:  I just got finished watching NFLN's Path to the Draft, and the analyst just mocked Dillard to the Jaguars.  D'oh!

(04-14-2019, 11:41 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: regarding Cam Robinson and OT at #7:

I have no idea how Robinson projects as a RT - but I know Boselli had serious doubts about the switch and that makes me at least consider that it wouldn't be seamless. 

Nonetheless --  if taking the best tackle on the board is the play, I'll have to assume they think one of them will make the switch effectively and that is certainly not unheard of.

On the other hand, my impression from the article I cited is that Searcy feels Cam Robinson may not have worked as hard at his craft because he wasn't challenged at the college level.  Assuming this is accurate (my recollection and Searcy's take on Cam's work ethic), perhaps with some of his professional struggles, the injury, and a move to an unfamiliar position, he will be forced to work harder on technique.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-15-2019, 01:22 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(04-15-2019, 12:47 PM)scottyg Wrote: Searcy spoke of this on local radio recently as well, and he makes a very good point about the injury.  If Cam's left knee is any less than 100% physically or mentally, he could get abused at left tackle.  If he isn't relying on that knee for outside leverage, it could be less of a liability on the right side.
To me, drafting a left tackle is an opportunity to improve both tackle positions with one pick.
This is why taking Taylor is absolutely the worst possible choice for this team.

Dillard and Williams are better tackle prospects and Williams offers greater flexibility.
(emphasis added)
1.  Rashan Gary would hold that distinction for me and it seems most of the board.  But I am intrigued by the hostility to a J.Taylor pick.  In the interest of full disclosure, I am not a Gators fan, so I don't follow them game to game the way many of you do.  But from what I have seen of him, he looks pretty good.  All of the analysis from NFL Network, PFW, NFL Draft scout/Lindy's, thedraftnetwork.com and many others views him favorably.  The most I have heard is that he doesn't seem overly dominant.  Do any of you have any specific critiques of any specific weaknesses and any games I should study to illustrate your analysis?  Not calling you guys out, but I'm curious.

2.  Continuing on the above, this assumes-in part-Taylor is wholly incapable of playing LT.  I have seen maybe two guys (and I can't remember who they were, but they were on NFLN) speculate he may be able to play LT.  For that matter, this assumes-in part- he is not an upgrade over Parnell at RT.  I concede some may share your view, but under the rationale a stud defender will likely be on the board for us, and that defender would help this team more than Taylor would, even if Taylor would upgrade Parnell, and leaving that stud defender on the board would represent a waste.

Dillard is soft regardless

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2019, 09:42 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(04-15-2019, 08:59 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-15-2019, 01:22 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: This is why taking Taylor is absolutely the worst possible choice for this team.

Dillard and Williams are better tackle prospects and Williams offers greater flexibility.
(emphasis added)
1.  Rashan Gary would hold that distinction for me and it seems most of the board.  But I am intrigued by the hostility to a J.Taylor pick.  In the interest of full disclosure, I am not a Gators fan, so I don't follow them game to game the way many of you do.  But from what I have seen of him, he looks pretty good.  All of the analysis from NFL Network, PFW, NFL Draft scout/Lindy's, thedraftnetwork.com and many others views him favorably.  The most I have heard is that he doesn't seem overly dominant.  Do any of you have any specific critiques of any specific weaknesses and any games I should study to illustrate your analysis?  Not calling you guys out, but I'm curious.

2.  Continuing on the above, this assumes-in part-Taylor is wholly incapable of playing LT.  I have seen maybe two guys (and I can't remember who they were, but they were on NFLN) speculate he may be able to play LT.  For that matter, this assumes-in part- he is not an upgrade over Parnell at RT.  I concede some may share your view, but under the rationale a stud defender will likely be on the board for us, and that defender would help this team more than Taylor would, even if Taylor would upgrade Parnell, and leaving that stud defender on the board would represent a waste.

Taylor isnt my first or 2nd choice but we could do far worse.  I do think he has a high ceiling and low floor.  I just feel Hockenson would help this team more.  With that said

https://twitter.com/Andy_Benoit/status/1...9160664065

(04-14-2019, 10:42 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-14-2019, 10:27 PM)Upper Wrote: Add Searcy to the growing list of move Cam to the right side of the line crowd! Take Dillard at 7 and thrive.

Let me say that I am unsure how switching Cam from LT to RT will solve the problem with his technique.  If anything, I am inclined to believe that could exacerbate any technique issues because now his techniques will have to be reversed to accommodate the switch.

However, a Dillard selection would be in line with the secrecy this franchise tends to operate with.  Few seem to have a handle on what the Jaguars are going to do on draft day.

In 2001, most wanted/thought Kenyatta Walker, the RT from UF, would be the pick.  Turns out, the team picked Stroud.

In 2005, NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY predicted Matt Jones to be the first round pick.

In 2010, NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY predicted Tyson Alualu would be the 10th overall pick.

The team surprised most with Blake Bortles in 2014, and Taven Bryan came as a surprise last year.

In most pre-draft mocks Walker was expected to go before the Jags pick. Stroud was mentioned as a likely Jags pick before the draft, so it wasn't a pick out of left field. The only surprise was that the Jags picked Stroud when Walker was still on the board and OT was the team's biggest need. Coughlin even admitted afterwards that Walker was ranked higher on his board. 

I still think the Jags picked Stroud because they were so sure he would be the best player at their pick that they never discussed an alternative. You know how players who are picked are given a team jersey with the number one when they come up on the stage? Stroud was given a Jags jersey with the number 99!

Of course Stroud was a Pro Bowler and Walker was a bust. And the Jags drafted Fred Taylor because they couldn't get a reasonable trade up for Curtis Enis. It's better to be lucky than good.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(04-15-2019, 10:17 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(04-14-2019, 10:42 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Let me say that I am unsure how switching Cam from LT to RT will solve the problem with his technique.  If anything, I am inclined to believe that could exacerbate any technique issues because now his techniques will have to be reversed to accommodate the switch.

In most pre-draft mocks Walker was expected to go before the Jags pick. Stroud was mentioned as a likely Jags pick before the draft, so it wasn't a pick out of left field. The only surprise was that the Jags picked Stroud when Walker was still on the board and OT was the team's biggest need. Coughlin even admitted afterwards that Walker was ranked higher on his board. 

I still think the Jags picked Stroud because they were so sure he would be the best player at their pick that they never discussed an alternative. You know how players who are picked are given a team jersey with the number one when they come up on the stage? Stroud was given a Jags jersey with the number 99!

Of course Stroud was a Pro Bowler and Walker was a bust. And the Jags drafted Fred Taylor because they couldn't get a reasonable trade up for Curtis Enis. It's better to be lucky than good.
Yes.  Your recollection is more accurate.   But that's not saying too much these days!   Big Grin

Walker was predicted to be a top 5-7 pick that year but fell. 

That said, most Jaguars fans felt Walker would have been the pick were he on the board.

(04-15-2019, 03:09 PM)knarnn Wrote: Cam reporting to work

https://twitter.com/sports4jax/status/11...20355?s=21

No limp at all.

Is there any reason to think his left knee is still an issue whatsoever?

Cam did a great job at LT from what I could tell so I see zero reason to move him. 
'02

(04-16-2019, 01:43 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Cam did a great job at LT from what I could tell so I see zero reason to move him. 

I agree with you and continuous.  I thought Robinson was fine at LT before his injury.

(04-16-2019, 01:43 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Cam did a great job at LT from what I could tell so I see zero reason to move him. 

I guess we're going to do this again. Other than that whole giving up the most pressures in the league, while being like 3rd or 4th in penalties...yeah he was great.

I do wish we got more of a sample to see if he was improving in year 2, but all we got was major struggles in the preseason and then him getting destroyed on back to back reps right away against Trey Flowers, the second of which crumpled Cam so badly they both got hurt. Granted, he was good against the Giants anemic sans Olivier pass rush week 1.

I typically don't like moving guys, either... but if there's a higher quality LT out there than RT, you take the best player and sort it out.

More and more is being asked of RTs these days as teams are more and more ambidextrous in pass rush. Either they flip sides to match the offensive strong/weak hand lineup, and/or they begin with pass rush threats at both sides to begin with.

If Cam can play RT better than they guy you want to draft to put there, you draft an LT and flourish.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(This post was last modified: 04-16-2019, 08:46 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Searcy's stories are OK but c'mon there isn't a single person that wouldn't prefer a good Hacker Wolfson High football story or perhaps hangout with a few drinks and talk WWE when Ryan The Hacker Green.

(04-16-2019, 08:46 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Searcy's stories are OK but c'mon there isn't a single person that wouldn't prefer a good Hacker Wolfson High football story or perhaps hangout with a few drinks and talk WWE when Ryan The Hacker Green.

Ryan actually played football?