Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Taven Bryan expectations?

My expectations for him get smaller and smaller.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

He has the look of someone who is overwhelmed by internal pressure. Those penalties are the result of someone trying too hard to make a play so that they get noticed, or they stop hearing the questions about when the light bulb will go off.

Whenever I read the MB posts about him, I can't help but wonder if the similar cries over Alualu would have been raised if Tyson were selected at 29 instead of 10. I see Bryan ending up on a similar path - dude is never going to be a gamebreaker, but may be steady, reliable, consistent for any number of years.

I think right now he's fighting more in his head than he is on the field, tho.

Alualu was a natural football player who was overdrafted. He had a steady career and was always a solid player. Bryan isn’t, was drafted purely off measurables. He’s a project player, we won’t see actual results for another 2 years from him. If the team has the patience to go through with it.

He sure looks on his way to being a bust. He must play video games all off season as looks clueless.

My expectations are that he will be a healthy scratch for most if not all of this season.
Jaguars Fundamentalist

(08-05-2019, 08:18 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Taven Bryan is the perfect example of why I hate drafting potential over production. Guys that flash their entire college careers, but never produce consistently should not be first round picks or even second rounders in my opinion.

Completely agree for this. Potential is what rounds 4-7 are for.

(08-23-2019, 04:42 PM)Eye of the Storm Wrote: My expectations are that he will be a healthy scratch for most if not all of this season.

Both of our top two picks last year are combine wonders that just don’t know how to play football.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

(08-24-2019, 10:38 AM)SuperJville Wrote:
(08-23-2019, 04:42 PM)Eye of the Storm Wrote: My expectations are that he will be a healthy scratch for most if not all of this season.

Both of our top two picks last year are combine wonders that just don’t know how to play football.

Chark doesn't look nearly as behind the learning curve as Bryan does, to be fair. 

And the third and fourth round picks have seemingly secured starting jobs this season. (Harrison,Richardson)
That draft may be shaping up just fine despite Bryan's slow development.

(08-24-2019, 10:51 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-24-2019, 10:38 AM)SuperJville Wrote: Both of our top two picks last year are combine wonders that just don’t know how to play football.

Chark doesn't look nearly as behind the learning curve as Bryan does, to be fair. 

And the third and fourth round picks have seemingly secured starting jobs this season. (Harrison,Richardson)

I like that draft so far and think Bryan will be be OK. It's Chark I don't see anything from at this point and kinda agree with SuperJ so far but it takes 3 years to evaluate a draft.

The only one gone at this point is Tanner Lee and a QB is worth a shot in the 6th round; Leon Jacobs in the 7th has stuck and Cooke is the punter. Not bad IMO.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(08-24-2019, 12:05 PM)PF* Wrote:
(08-24-2019, 10:51 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Chark doesn't look nearly as behind the learning curve as Bryan does, to be fair. 

I like that draft so far and think Bryan will be be OK. It's Chark I don't see anything from at this point and kinda agree with SuperJ so far but it takes 3 years to evaluate a draft.

The only one gone at this point is Tanner Lee and a QB is worth a shot in the 6th round; Leon Jacobs in the 7th has stuck and Cooke is the punter. Not bad IMO.

I hope like hell you are right about Bryan and wrong about Chark, but I fear you are definitely wrong about Bryan, and I'm increasingly fearful you may be right about Chark.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(08-24-2019, 12:05 PM)PF* Wrote:
(08-24-2019, 10:51 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Chark doesn't look nearly as behind the learning curve as Bryan does, to be fair. 

We should probably include Dareus who was acquired with the 5th rounder. So we got 5 starters so far from that draft (Harrison, Richardson, Dareus, Jacobs, Cooke), with the top 2 picks left with a lot to prove... not bad.

(08-24-2019, 02:20 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(08-24-2019, 12:05 PM)PF* Wrote: I like that draft so far and think Bryan will be be OK. It's Chark I don't see anything from at this point and kinda agree with SuperJ so far but it takes 3 years to evaluate a draft.

We should probably include Dareus who was acquired with the 5th rounder. So we got 5 starters so far from that draft (Harrison, Richardson, Dareus, Jacobs, Cooke), with the top 2 picks left with a lot to prove... not bad.

Great point.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(08-24-2019, 12:55 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(08-24-2019, 12:05 PM)PF* Wrote: I like that draft so far and think Bryan will be be OK. It's Chark I don't see anything from at this point and kinda agree with SuperJ so far but it takes 3 years to evaluate a draft.

I hope like hell you are right about Bryan and wrong about Chark, but I fear you are definitely wrong about Bryan, and I'm increasingly fearful you may be right about Chark.

[font=arial, sans-serif]Games: 16      11
Yards:   167     174
Avg       10.4   12.4
Long      26      38
No TDs for either[/font]

One is year 1 Antonio Brown in 2010 with Big Ben throwing him the ball, the other is DJ Chark last year with the BOAT.

Frankly, nothing about year 1 performance matters much with wide receivers.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 08-24-2019, 02:39 PM by JaguarJosh05.)

Expectations are for him to dissolve off the roster. Along with Chark.
No pain, no gain.

(08-24-2019, 02:39 PM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: Expectations are for him to dissolve off the roster. Along with Chark.

Yep. If chark plays 14+ games and gets say, 50 catches I would be extremely excited and happy because that would be an extreme overachievement for him.

He can’t run routes, he lacks awareness. He’s a decent gunner I guess but that’s a waste of a 2nd round pick.

Taven Bryan on the other hand is just depth, and not even good depth at this point. He may not be able to rush the passer, but he sure can’t play the run either.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

I just don't think he has a brain to play football. He doesn't seem slow when he talks, but he seems slow in the head on the field. Letting a RB run right by you in the backfield and making no effort is terrible.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

No expectations for me but I'll hit the panic button if he isn't making some splash plays by Mid-November. 

I think if it happens he's still a full season away from being a consistent player you can count on.

(08-24-2019, 02:37 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-24-2019, 12:55 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I hope like hell you are right about Bryan and wrong about Chark, but I fear you are definitely wrong about Bryan, and I'm increasingly fearful you may be right about Chark.

[font=arial, sans-serif]Games: 16      11
Yards:   167     174
Avg       10.4   12.4
Long      26      38
No TDs for either[/font]

One is year 1 Antonio Brown in 2010 with Big Ben throwing him the ball, the other is DJ Chark last year with the BOAT.

Frankly, nothing about year 1 performance matters much with wide receivers.

One was a 6th rounder and the other a 2nd rounder
one was buried behind Hines Ward, Mike Wallace, Randle El, and Emmanuale Sanders
The other was brought in to be a starter

I agree with your premise that Chark was in a poor situation, but using Antonio Brown is a bit disingenuous .
He has every opportunity this year to prove himself.

They say he was drafted because of athletic ability.. But I havent seen it on the field. I honestly dont see him ever being a contributor, not even on alualus level. I hope I'm wrong and the position change helps but I dont expect much from him

My expectations for him is holding a pink slip.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]