Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Franchise Building Philosophy Questions

(This post was last modified: 04-24-2019, 05:34 PM by MightyRx.)

(04-24-2019, 01:37 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(04-24-2019, 01:18 PM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: Your cornerstone signings should always be QB, DE, CB, and LT/RT (nowadays). We've signed Foles for the next 3-4 years. Ramsey and Ngakoue signing a new contract should be our main priority going forward; if they maintain their course. Telvin will probably be traded by then. Campbell will be gone by then. They should be kept and resigned.

FA supplement ability always varies, but can be beneficial as we saw in 2017. But cornerstone players like Ramsey and Ngakoue should be prioritized.
I agree with this.

It's all about the position for me. Linebackers, safeties, running backs, and for the most part guards/centers can be more easily replaced than QBs, tackles, corners and pass rushers.

With that thought process, I'd always look for jars on the shelf to add via the draft. Especially at pass rusher and QB. You can never have enough guys to pressure the opposition and having a good backup/heir apparent puts you in position to be able to wheel and deal with the best of them. The Packers had a10 year run and did that like no one's business. Between Detmer, Brunell, Hasselbeck, Brooks and Rodgers, that's unprecedented.
Making up

Evidence

Depending on

Information

Available

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-24-2019, 01:37 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(04-24-2019, 01:18 PM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: Your cornerstone signings should always be QB, DE, CB, and LT/RT (nowadays). We've signed Foles for the next 3-4 years. Ramsey and Ngakoue signing a new contract should be our main priority going forward; if they maintain their course. Telvin will probably be traded by then. Campbell will be gone by then. They should be kept and resigned.

FA supplement ability always varies, but can be beneficial as we saw in 2017. But cornerstone players like Ramsey and Ngakoue should be prioritized.
I agree with this.

It's all about the position for me. Linebackers, safeties, running backs, and for the most part guards/centers can be more easily replaced than QBs, tackles, corners and pass rushers.

I think a top shelf single high safety is in that elite position value tier too.

(04-23-2019, 07:28 PM)Upper Wrote: I wish we would have explored extending them early and gotten a deal like the Vikings did with Danielle Hunter (or tons of baseball teams are doing currently). Would Yannick have taken 5/72 like Hunter did last year? I think he very well may have taken that instant security and signing bonus, now he's going to command 20M+ AAV.

I don't think you can re-sign rookies until after their third season. But they probably should have re-upped him back in January.

O.K. Not resigning players to their to their second tier contracts is the strategy of the #Freakn Pats. When we hit on an draft year we must strategize to retain such players that we drafted. If/when we get to the point of not doing so, we must trade such players in their last contract year for value such as the Pats do.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(This post was last modified: 04-25-2019, 05:59 AM by Bullseye.)

(04-23-2019, 06:55 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(04-23-2019, 05:05 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Reading the board, I have seen numerous statements displaying not mere apprehension but abject terror over the prospects of signing Ramsey, Ngakoue and/or Jack to a second contract.

I always thought that once you drafted a great player, you should do whatever it takes to retain that player, especially if:

• He is young
  • healthy
  • at a premium position
  • so far decent character
But judging on the reactions I've seen, people are willing to at least deal Ramsey, and I suspect as contract negotiations between the team and Ngakoue heat up, calls to trade him will soon appear on the board.

I compare Ramsey to Darrell Revis who will ultimately be looking for the best deal to be the highest paid CB or Defensive Player in the NFL.  If you keep Ramsey, then you need to let good players go like Nagakoue and Jack once their rookie contracts are up.  Heck, one of he best things the Jags have ever done was let Boselli and Brunell go after Coughlin got into cap-hell trying to retain their core group of players.

My question to you is the following:  Would you re-sign Ramsey for 6 years $200m with a $140m guarantee because by the time 2022 hits, that may be his price.  Bottom line, we still have him for 2 years + 1 year franchise tag but by that time, he will likely be a cancer like L. Bell and A. Brown up in the Burgh.  Right now, Kahlil Mack is on a 6-year Contract @ $141m with $90m in guarantees.

Also, please note as the Cap goes up, so do our ticket prices, so personally speaking, my personal contract with the NFL (attendance loyalty) will need to be re-evaluated on an annual basis as well.  A salary cap explosion under the new CBA will likely put an end to a lot of us. I can only imagine the NFL going to a 45,000 seat stadium in the future and having everything catered to Corp America.

1.  It was good to let Boselli go in large part because injuries ended his career.  He never played another down of football after his last with us.  That played a HUGE factor in the willingness of the team to let him go.  Ramsey may or may not be in a similar medical condition when it comes to give him a new deal.  Assuming he is healthy, Ramsey should be re-signed.

2.  As it stands right now, Ramsey is the 3rd highest paid CB on the team despite being the best player on the team.  We shouldn't drag our feet when it comes to signing him to a new deal.  I don't think he commands quite that much, but agree it will be costly.  

3.  Whether we sign Ramsey or not, we will get a new CBA, the cap will continue to go up, and ticket prices will go up.  This IS the NFL.  The question is whether this will be a place where players will want to play and excel.  If we reflexively flee from retaining star players, the answer to that question will be "no."  We'll never be competitive for long.  We'll never be a team to have anything other than a token local interest, much less command the international interest Khan hopes for.  I have had my season tickets for 25 years.  I hope to keep them for a long time after that.  But if there comes a time where finances or health precludes further season ticket purchases, I would be disappointed to discontinue the relationship, but I would nevertheless want the team to be as successful as possible.  My allegiance and loyalty to the team would not end with my status as a season ticket holder.

(04-24-2019, 09:49 PM)NH3 Wrote: O.K. Not resigning players to their to their second tier contracts is the strategy of the #Freakn Pats. When we hit on an draft year we must strategize to retain such players that we drafted. If/when we get to the point of not doing so, we must trade such players in their last contract year for value such as the Pats do.

NH3...

But over the years, the Patriots have retained several star caliber players, including Gronk, Solder, Light, Ty Law, McGinest, Wilfork, etc.  Many of those guys played premium positions.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(04-24-2019, 08:20 PM)Upper Wrote:
(04-24-2019, 01:37 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I agree with this.

I think a top shelf single high safety is in that elite position value tier too.
I don't 100% disagree but why are so many hitting the markets? Mathieu, Thomas, Berry, Weddle, Collins (probably more SS)...

For the 1st pick in this years draft the only answer is TJ Hockenson. He fills our weakest position while knocking two birds with one stone. Decent blocker and fantastic receiver.
Jaguars | Pacers | Purdue | Team USA

(04-25-2019, 09:35 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I don't 100% disagree but why are so many hitting the markets? Mathieu, Thomas, Berry, Weddle, Collins (probably more SS)...

Mathieu and Collins definitely aren't single high safeties. Thomas and Berry have had major injury/illness issues, and Weddle is just ancient IMO.

I believe we need great team players, not selfish divas.

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2012/4...e-mariners

Seattle Mariners had a record season in 2001 after dealing away Randy Johnson, Ken Griffey Jr. and Alex Rodriguez. Big names do not outweigh having an overall great team.

"The 2001 season brought a new-look Mariners team that lacked the three superstars who had defined them. The M's payroll in 2001 was $74.5 Million dollar (11th highest in baseball); if the entire posting fee for Ichiro Suzuki ($13.125 million) is included into their '01 payroll instead of being pro-rated across the years of his contract then their payroll would be lifted to $87.625 million, 8th highest. In 2001, A-Rod made $22 million, Johnson made $13.35 million and Griffey Jr. made $12.5 million those three players would have made up 54.6% of their payroll (60.6% if the posting fee is pro-rated). Thus, it wasn't feasible for Seattle to keep their three stars, except for possibly in the case of Griffey who was traded because he wanted to return to his hometown. The 01' Mariners lacked the players who had defined them, but that didn't stop them from performing to a level higher than they anyone believed they could possibly achieve. The '01 M's shocked the baseball world, by tying the 1906 Chicago Cubs for the most wins in a Major League season (116). But just how good was that Seattle team, and how did they achieve such an incredible feat without Johnson, A-Rod, or Griffey?"