Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
6th round pick : QB Gardner Minshew

A guy. If he develops into a backup, great. If not, they used a 6th rd flyer.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Lets just cut Kessler now
Jaguars | Pacers | Purdue | Team USA

This guy can at least throw a fade in the corner of the end zone. I feel confident he may be the best 2nd string QB this rooster will have seen in a long time. I hear some criticism about his inflated completion ratio/mechanics but he looks pretty accurate to me. I wanted Will Grier, but its obvious that Foles is our guy for a while. Not upset with this pick.

I still think this was a great pick, kids got game. Nice throws.
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(04-27-2019, 04:02 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I think he's a better pick than last year's Tanner Lee. For damn sure.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

way to set the bar low, man.

Interesting pick, but after looking at production at ECU, I wonder if he's a product of the offense. I'm sure there was a major upgrade in surrounding talent (ECU has been a dumpster fire lately), but over 17 games, only 3500 yards and 24/11 TD/INT.

If Foles go down, we remain in dire straits.

All im saying is: If he shows up to town wearing that stache, the leisure suit, and a pair of jorts: Put him in the Pride of the Jaguars, TODAY

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

He's definitely not the late QB pick I'd have chosen, but I get it.

As I said in the other thread, if we could combine Tanner Lee's cannon arm with this kid's brain we'd have a good prospect. Anyway, it would be cool if he turns out good enough to earn the back-up role and I'm glad they rolled the dice on the position given Foles' injury history.

Only Jags fans spend this much time on a 6th round pick at QB. Such dedication and passion.
A True Fan ladies and gentlemen:
(11-12-2018, 07:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ramsey for Grier straight up

(04-27-2019, 04:27 PM)Hard_Eight Wrote: FOund this footage...
[Image: tenor.gif]

Getttleman is interested in that prospect.   I like the little twist before the throw.  It would definitely get the DBs to bite on routes.

Very productive passer. Could be a guy to develop as a back-up and if we ever get a line and go to receiver he could be a future stud for basically nothing.
No pain, no gain.

(04-27-2019, 11:39 PM)billwade Wrote:
(04-27-2019, 04:06 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: I like his chances to replace Kessler as back-up quarterback. He has great accuracy, leadership skills and plenty of experience. His excellent mechanics should enable him to overcome having average arm-strength.

Excellent mechanics? Actually, his mechanics are terrible. he throws off his back foot and almost never drives the ball by transferring his weight properly. He might have a chance if those issues get fixed, but he is a project QB at best.

So he looks pretty darn good with bad mechanics suggesting he could back up right away. Imagine how good he should be after the coaches fix all these teachable issues.

(04-28-2019, 12:56 AM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Kessler 2.0.  Don't know why you all are so hyped thinking he's the future.

He's better than Kessler. I'm convinced he'll win the job outright.

(04-28-2019, 07:28 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Not sure why we went minshew instead of tyree Jackson. We got a guy whose ceiling is essentially what Kessler is now. Why not roll the dice on a guy with an elite arm and good mobility?

Tyree is more of a long-term developmental guy... great if you can wait... but the Jags need a backup QB this year.
'02

(04-28-2019, 07:41 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: The thing you want in a backup QB is a guy who knows the system and the playbook, and that is one of Minshew's strengths, because he has learned 4 different systems and playbooks while in college, to the point where he mastered the one at Washington State in 2 weeks flat, with pretty great results- an 11 win season, a bowl game win, Johnny Unitas Golden Arm award, and 5th in the Heisman balloting.  

His weaknesses are things that are common in backup QBs: measurables.  

So to me, he's a perfect backup QB.   Teammates love him, he'll be great in the QB meetings because of his mental ability, and if he has to come into the game suddenly, he'll run the right plays and make the right moves.  He'll be reliable.

^^^^ This... so this!
'02

(04-28-2019, 09:51 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(04-27-2019, 04:17 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Did he fall mainly because of arm strength and size?

(04-28-2019, 09:14 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
If he can complete over 70% of his passes by throwing off of his back foot, maybe all QBs need to be taught that technique.

Minshew's completion % is skewed due to a good amount of his passing attempts coming from behind the Line of Scrimmage. His down field accuracy isn't that good. He threw 246 passes to players behind the LoS.

[Image: D1WTo_XXcAAItgV.jpg]

LOL... now I see why Tyree Jackson went undrafted.

As for Minshew's accuracy decreasing with deeper throws... Granted, however, it's still darn impressive.

Overall, Minshew's 76.15% accuracy ranks second among these QBs behind only Haskins. Beyond the LOS, his accuracy drops to 68.59%, but that still ranks 5th best among these QBs. Only Haskins, Grier, Murray and Rypien are more accurate on these throws.

His INT percentage is also the 5th lowest behind Lock, Haskins, Stick and Stidham. 
'02

(04-28-2019, 09:51 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(04-27-2019, 04:17 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Did he fall mainly because of arm strength and size?

(04-28-2019, 09:14 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
If he can complete over 70% of his passes by throwing off of his back foot, maybe all QBs need to be taught that technique.

Minshew's completion % is skewed due to a good amount of his passing attempts coming from behind the Line of Scrimmage. His down field accuracy isn't that good. He threw 246 passes to players behind the LoS.

[Image: D1WTo_XXcAAItgV.jpg]
Boy. That sure is a lot of green for Haskins.....

It's also pretty telling how bad Jones was last year.

I'm surprised Grier fell so far. I get that he had a bad combine, but still.

Now he's just going to sit in Carolina behind Cam Newton. 
'02

(05-02-2019, 08:52 PM)Jags02 Wrote: I'm surprised Grier fell so far. I get that he had a bad combine, but still.

Now he's just going to sit in Carolina behind Cam Newton. 

Cam may not be available to start the season, Grier may be called to action right out of the gate. BIG opportunity for him if Cams shoulder needs a PUP stint.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Diamond in the rough?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...tion-them/

Kessler sucks, period. Literally, ANYBODY else would be better than Kessler. Punk had a chance and punked out.... YOU'RE FIRED!!
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

So fun fact....

I went to the same community college back in 2009 in Mississippi where Minshew went and led them to a championship years later apparently. Northwest Community College.

Guess he's the official back up already. Kessler is out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."