Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars Running Backs

RB
1. Fournette ...workhorse looking for a hole
2. Armstead ...similar style to Fournette, rotational
3. Cunningham ...3rd down back and ST contributor
4. Blue ...vet with nothing special, on the bubble
5. Williams ...on the bubble with Blue
6. Rawls ...released by 3 teams since 2017, good in 2015

FB
1. Flowers ...only FB on the roster if they decide to keep one

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I would love to see them make a play for a receiving back if one gets cut.

I think Fournette is a better receiver than most believe but a player in the mold of Duke Johnson would fit nicely with Foles.

(05-04-2019, 08:48 AM)PF* Wrote:
(05-04-2019, 06:28 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Of greater significance than Cunningham’s return experience is his skill as a third down back.
The bears used him effectively in that role. Great blocker and sure handed to slip out for a screen or swing pass.

In 2017 he caught 20 of 26 targets for 240 yds , two TDS , 12 yds per catch.
He’s not going to blow anyone a way but the dependability is there.

This and the punt/kick returner comments got me thinking about Dave Meggett who was carried around by Bill Parcells to fulfill that same role. He was sure-handed and had a 10 year NFL career, mostly with Parcells as a Giant and a Patriot. Parcells even brought him to Dallas to work with the Cowboys punt/kick returners.

Parcells valued that one skill in his returners- sure handedness. I don't know if Meggett ever fumbled (over 10 years, he must have) but one of the top coaches of all time kept him in that role wherever he went. If Cunningham has the sure-handed gene, it gives him a leg up.

As an aside: I knew Meggett had some kind of legal trouble of a sexual nature after he retired but go read his Wiki page to see what he's done. He has 9 children and is currently in prison in South Carolina.

The potential to fumble, however, favors Alfred Blue who rarely ever fumbles. While Cunningham has only lost 4 fumbles among a total of 7, Blue has only lost 2 fumbles in his career among a total of 4. In other words, you can count on Blue racking up a good 500 yards of rushing without fumbling. 
'02

Last, but certainly not least...

Ryquell Armstead, Temple - Rookie, 5' 11 1/4", 220 lb, 23 years old (cannot locate birthday), from Millville, NJ (Millville HS)

Ryquell caught the eye of college recruiters during his senior season of HS when he posted 1488 yards and 18 TDs including one game when he rushed for a mind-blowing 337 yards. He backed up over his first two years at Temple eventually taking over as the starter during his Junior season, but it was his senior season when he was known to "TOTE THE RYQ" as the Owl's feature back. This past year he posted 1098 rushing yards on 210 carried (5.2 ypc) and 13 TDs (plus 8 catches for 52 yards and a 6.5 avg) including a season-high at Houston saw him recording 210 yards and 6 TDs. Armstead impressed not only with his ability to rush but also with his ability to pass block and play Special Teams, which he deems his "specialty." The one area he's marked as lacking is receiving, but he'll tell you he can catch but was just not thrown to much. Ryquell runs hard and fast on the field with a running style that I can only describe as a blend between Fournette and MJD. I see traits of both in Ryquell including decent speed given his 4.45 40-yard dash and 1.50 10-yard split at the combine along with posting 22 reps on the bench. Much like Jones-Drew when he played for Jacksonville, Ryquell runs with determination and rarely ever took a loss when rushing.

The Jaguars selected Ryquell Armstead in the 5th round at no 140 overall, and he's quickly become a fan favorite. Typically ranked among the top 15 RBs this year, a few draftniks after watching film have placed him among the top 5. Like Fournette and Jones-Drew he runs with power but lacks some of the more finesse lateral agility that top RBs such as Fred Taylor are known for. That said, this type of runner fits the Jaguars power running mentality, and it's fairly safe to say that he's clinched a roster spot and at some point should take over as the #2 RB. It's more a matter of when than if.

Be sure to watch his college highlights...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEPBiKHh0MQ
'02

The following is a well-written recent article on the Jags RBs, so I'm including it in the thread...

https://blackandteal.com/2019/05/02/new-...s-promise/
'02

Armstead vs Boston College (2018)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SvBjCakNaw
'02

Must watch...

Game Highlights - Temple at Houston

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf8naam9bgA
'02

I dont have any doubt Allen and Taylor will be great players. Armstead and Williams are the 2 I'm the most excited to see. I hope Dave nailed those picks

I really hope we find a role for Flowers. Guy can be special. Kind of a dying breed at FB but I felt Bohana offered us some bright spots at time. Flowers is more athletic. Would love to see him heavily involved in PA passes. I have a strong feeling Flowers will be kept as almost an H back safety valve for Foles.
"Expect for the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes."

(05-04-2019, 07:05 PM)Fred Jones-Brunell Wrote: I really hope we find a role for Flowers. Guy can be special. Kind of a dying breed at FB but I felt Bohana offered us some bright spots at time. Flowers is more athletic. Would love to see him heavily involved in PA passes. I have a strong feeling Flowers will be kept as almost an H back safety valve for Foles.

Except that we have Josh Oliver for that. I lament the death of the FB position as well, but if you need a receiver out of the backfield, you can drop a TE back into an H-Back role or invest in a third-down back. If you need someone to gain a few tough yards, you've already got Fournette. If you need an extra blocker in the backfield on short yardage, drop an offensive lineman or defensive tackle in front of the running back and smash away. If your offense is going to spend most of its time with three receivers or two tight ends on the field, a true fullback isn't really needed, and unless that fullback is Montell Owens blowing blockers up all day every day, the spot is probably better used for depth elsewhere.

I forget who it was that told this story on the air. Definitely a retired coach, might have been Madden? His fullback was having a great year, picking up over four yards a carry. The FB asked the coach at practice why he wasn't getting more carries, and the coach replied that the starting RB was running for almost five.

Regarding Cunningham's fumbles, most of them were in his first two years. In fact, he's only had one fumble lost over the past four years. This was it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfnsZgbwKwM
'02

Oh so close...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1USu1mQ-qI
'02

Just watching some Armstead reels on YouTube and while I understand the narrative that he’s cut in the Fournette one cut and go mold - there are some differences.

Armstead seems to be looking downfield more than looking at the next defender. Perhaps a bit more vision than Fournette in that regard. 

The other thing I’m seeing that I really like is his:
A.  Decisiveness when he sees a crease and 
B.  His ability to “get small” when he sees the slightest gap to squeeze through 
He doesn’t do the bull in a china shop routine in those spaces. He squeezes through. 
Encouraging trait.

(05-03-2019, 12:51 PM)Jags02 Wrote: This thread is intended to make for a thorough discussion about the Jaguars running backs. Anything you hear about any RB on the team, go ahead and post it. We need to sort these guys out. 

The Jaguars have six RBs on their team including their lead back Leonard Fournette, and their new FB Dimitri Flowers.  I expect Fournette will return to form this season especially behind a beefed up Oline with Cam, Norwell and Linder returning, with AJ Cann continuing his starting streak, and with Jawaan Taylor now in the fold at RT. I'll start by roughly ranking/listing the names, and then I'll discuss each RB in this thread beginning with Flowers in this post.

1. Leonard Fournette
  2. Alfred Blue
  3. Thomas Rawls
  4. Ryquell Armstead
  5. Benny Cunningham
  6. David Williams
At least four of these names make the roster.

Now let's talk some Fullback as the Jaguars are going to need one. There's a chance they go without a FB on the roster to keep an extra RB, but they would then need a guy who can also play the position. Maybe Ryquell can start out in the role before seeing more action at RB, or perhaps Koyack can get the FB reps. That said, my presumption is they simply like Dimitri Flowers enough that they're comfortable with him being the starting FB. This is the most logical conclusion seeing as they have not addressed the position with additional competition. So let's take a closer look at Flowers...

#35 FB Dimitri Flowers, Oklahoma - 1st-year player, 6-2, 248 lbs, 23 years old, from San Antonio, TX (Churchill High School)

Dimitri's dad is former Bill's defensive end Erik Flowers, and his cousin Tre Flowers was drafted by the Seahawks in the same draft. Draftscout.com had him projected in rounds 5 to 6 as the 2nd best FB in the 2018 draft, however, he ended up being an undrafted free agent for the Jets and was waived in the final cutdown to 53. The Jaguars signed him to their PS on December 18th, and then he was activated on December 28th and played in the season finale at Houston.

Flowers ran a 4.8 40-yard dash at the combine along with 17 225-lb reps on the bench. His highlights reveal a back who can catch...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acnr-ThlbKA

WOW. Flowers just may be our receiving RB. His hands are wide receiverish to say the least. He can catch a cold in Jamaica during an heat wave. I also like his running abilities.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(05-04-2019, 03:10 AM)Jags02 Wrote: Now for the enigma...

#33 David Williams, Arkansas - 2nd-year player, 6'1", 229 lbs, 24 years old (turns 25 in June), from Philadephia, PA (Imhotep Institute)

After three years at South Carolina, Williams transferred to Arkansas for his senior season where he played in 12 games as a backup RB posting 656 yards and 8 TDs on 117 carries (5.6 ypc) along with 10 receptions for 171 yards (17.1 avg) and 2 TDs in 2017. At his Pro Day, Williams ran a 4.5 40-yard dash and did 21 reps on the bench. He was drafted by the Broncos in the 7th round, but waived in the cut downs and placed on their Practice Squad.

The Jaguars signed David off the Broncos Practice Squad on October 9, 2018, and he appeared in six games. His most notable game was a loss to the Redskins on December 16th when he had 5 carries for 32 yards (6.4 ypc) including a 15-yard scamper. Reports about David from the Broncos suggest a between-the-tackles runner who is good in pass protection.

The following is David Williams career highlights with South Carolina and Arkansas (scroll to 1:13 to start watching)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk-BLSw99ig

David Williams should definitely be on our 53-Man roster.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(05-05-2019, 01:05 PM)NH3 Wrote:
(05-03-2019, 12:51 PM)Jags02 Wrote: This thread is intended to make for a thorough discussion about the Jaguars running backs. Anything you hear about any RB on the team, go ahead and post it. We need to sort these guys out. 

The Jaguars have six RBs on their team including their lead back Leonard Fournette, and their new FB Dimitri Flowers.  I expect Fournette will return to form this season especially behind a beefed up Oline with Cam, Norwell and Linder returning, with AJ Cann continuing his starting streak, and with Jawaan Taylor now in the fold at RT. I'll start by roughly ranking/listing the names, and then I'll discuss each RB in this thread beginning with Flowers in this post.

1. Leonard Fournette
  2. Alfred Blue
  3. Thomas Rawls
  4. Ryquell Armstead
  5. Benny Cunningham
  6. David Williams
At least four of these names make the roster.

Now let's talk some Fullback as the Jaguars are going to need one. There's a chance they go without a FB on the roster to keep an extra RB, but they would then need a guy who can also play the position. Maybe Ryquell can start out in the role before seeing more action at RB, or perhaps Koyack can get the FB reps. That said, my presumption is they simply like Dimitri Flowers enough that they're comfortable with him being the starting FB. This is the most logical conclusion seeing as they have not addressed the position with additional competition. So let's take a closer look at Flowers...

#35 FB Dimitri Flowers, Oklahoma - 1st-year player, 6-2, 248 lbs, 23 years old, from San Antonio, TX (Churchill High School)

Dimitri's dad is former Bill's defensive end Erik Flowers, and his cousin Tre Flowers was drafted by the Seahawks in the same draft. Draftscout.com had him projected in rounds 5 to 6 as the 2nd best FB in the 2018 draft, however, he ended up being an undrafted free agent for the Jets and was waived in the final cutdown to 53. The Jaguars signed him to their PS on December 18th, and then he was activated on December 28th and played in the season finale at Houston.

Flowers ran a 4.8 40-yard dash at the combine along with 17 225-lb reps on the bench. His highlights reveal a back who can catch...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acnr-ThlbKA

WOW. Flowers just may be our receiving RB. His hands are wide receiverish to say the least. He can catch a cold in Jamaica during an heat wave. I also like his running abilities.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

I really think Flowers is being slept on around here. So what they have Oliver? Why not have two guys on the field who can do similar things? I’m sure Nick wouldn’t mind. Flowers knows how to find those creases in the zone like nobody’s business and can be a QB’s best friend in the H-Back role while Oliver gets acclimated to the speed of the game.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(05-06-2019, 12:28 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(05-05-2019, 01:05 PM)NH3 Wrote: WOW. Flowers just may be our receiving RB...

I really think Flowers is being slept on around here. So what they have Oliver? Why not have two guys on the field who can do similar things? I’m sure Nick wouldn’t mind. Flowers knows how to find those creases in the zone like nobody’s business and can be a QB’s best friend in the H-Back role while Oliver gets acclimated to the speed of the game.

If they find a way to keep him on the roster and Flip is hip to mixing up the "f' and "h" roles with Flowers and Oliver it could present som tough to defend offensive sets. 

I'm all for it. 

Zero clue how much interest the team has in Flowers in that type of role, but I like anything that makes defenses account for offensive formations with that do not reveal run vs pass. 

Telegraphing the run was perhaps the greatest failure of the Hackett offense. 

Alternating run and pass from a backfield containing a RB and HB/FB would be a welcome change that will challenge defenses beyond just selling out to stop #27.

(This post was last modified: 05-06-2019, 12:44 PM by knarnn.)

(05-06-2019, 12:35 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-06-2019, 12:28 PM)knarnn Wrote: I really think Flowers is being slept on around here. So what they have Oliver? Why not have two guys on the field who can do similar things? I’m sure Nick wouldn’t mind. Flowers knows how to find those creases in the zone like nobody’s business and can be a QB’s best friend in the H-Back role while Oliver gets acclimated to the speed of the game.

If they find a way to keep him on the roster and Flip is hip to mixing up the "f' and "h" roles with Flowers and Oliver it could present som tough to defend offensive sets. 

I'm all for it. 

Zero clue how much interest the team has in Flowers in that type of role, but I like anything that makes defenses account for offensive formations with that do not reveal run vs pass. 

Telegraphing the run was perhaps the greatest failure of the Hackett offense. 

Alternating run and pass from a backfield containing a RB and HB/FB would be a welcome change that will challenge defenses beyond just selling out to stop #27.

Agreed. This would have the potential to open the offense to a entirely new level. I for one am curious as to how effective Fournette can be when he’s not facing a stacked box 90% of the time.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(05-05-2019, 12:04 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Just watching some Armstead reels on YouTube and while I understand the narrative that he’s cut in the Fournette one cut and go mold - there are some differences.

Armstead seems to be looking downfield more than looking at the next defender. Perhaps a bit more vision than Fournette in that regard. 

B.  His ability to “get small” when he sees the slightest gap to squeeze through 
He doesn’t do the bull in a china shop routine in those spaces. He squeezes through. 
Encouraging trait.

After watching some of the games he played in, Armstead to me is a classic "Outside Zone" running back. And I'm not so sure that's a good thing considering this team and their recent approach to the Running Game. 

The offense under Hackett with Fournette as the feature was (is?) more Power oriented where they lead with a Fullback to pry open the Defense. Whether or not Fournette's current style of "go to the hole called no matter what!!!" is a result of Fournette' ability or the coaching is up for debate. But what you see from Armstead is a player who reacts to where the hole develops, not where it's called. When you see him stick his foot in the ground and cut back on a LB, that's classic Outside Zone stuff. And where you see him always move forward and fight for yards, a lot of that is classic Zone style as well. "You don't need five yards every time, but you have to get yards every time."

Now, if they plan on making the most out of Armstead, are they going to do more Zone style where the blocking surface is expanded and there is often only one RB in the backfield? Will Fournette adjust to that? Will Armstead adjust to a Power style? I like the kid, but the Staff needs to find the best way to get the most out of the talent that they have.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(05-06-2019, 03:17 PM)Deacon Wrote:
(05-05-2019, 12:04 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Just watching some Armstead reels on YouTube and while I understand the narrative that he’s cut in the Fournette one cut and go mold - there are some differences.

Encouraging trait.

After watching some of the games he played in, Armstead to me is a classic "Outside Zone" running back. And I'm not so sure that's a good thing considering this team and their recent approach to the Running Game. 

The offense under Hackett with Fournette as the feature was (is?) more Power oriented where they lead with a Fullback to pry open the Defense. Whether or not Fournette's current style of "go to the hole called no matter what!!!" is a result of Fournette' ability or the coaching is up for debate. But what you see from Armstead is a player who reacts to where the hole develops, not where it's called. When you see him stick his foot in the ground and cut back on a LB, that's classic Outside Zone stuff. And where you see him always move forward and fight for yards, a lot of that is classic Zone style as well. "You don't need five yards every time, but you have to get yards every time."

Now, if they plan on making the most out of Armstead, are they going to do more Zone style where the blocking surface is expanded and there is often only one RB in the backfield? Will Fournette adjust to that? Will Armstead adjust to a Power style? I like the kid, but the Staff needs to find the best way to get the most out of the talent that they have.

I'm not positive, but I think I remember DeFilippo saying "both" when asked about which type of run scheme he'd employ. 

The eagles 2017 run certainly utilized both effectively so Foles and DeFilippo are familiar with the concept of diversifying run concepts.  (I'm not as versed in what they ran under Groh in 2018) 

I don't see why they'd not attempt both in Jax.  

This twitter thread shows some of the run diversity they used under Reich in 2017.

https://twitter.com/fduffy3/status/912419188991561735