Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Which LB lineup is most likely?
Jack (w) Ryan (m) Allen (s)
Jack (w) Ryan (m) Allen/ Jacobs combo
Q Williams (w) Jack (m) Ryan (s)
Q Williams (w) Jack (m) Ryan/Allen combo (s)
Journeyman/Williams (w) Jack (m) Allen (s)
Williams/combo (w) Jack (m) Allen/combo (S)
corn
blank #2
other
[Show Results]

LB Alignment if Telvin Doesn't Play - 2019

(05-10-2019, 11:30 AM)JagJohn Wrote: I think most of y'all are expecting too much too soon out of Quincy, I expect it'll be a year before he becomes a reliable contributor.

Seconded. I see him following Bryan's schedule from last year - give him about half a year to learn, gradually bringing him up to speed and occasionally seeing action at the end of a game.  By the end of the season, he's either first option to come off the bench and spell a guy, or he's starting in that guy's place.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-10-2019, 11:30 AM)JagJohn Wrote: I think most of y'all are expecting too much too soon out of Quincy, I expect it'll be a year before he becomes a reliable contributor.

It's hard to say for sure, but they got Leon Jacobs ready to start the season opener. I don't see why they couldn't do the same with Quincy.
'02

(05-10-2019, 12:28 PM)Jags02 Wrote:

It's hard to say for sure, but they got Leon Jacobs ready to start the season opener. I don't see why they couldn't do the same with Quincy.

Different positions. Different responsibilities. 

Imagine Quincy Williams getting stuck dropping with Travis Kelce on September 9th. 

I'm not saying he couldn't, but it's going to be a steep learning curve and Reid will come after what he perceives as a weak link.

(05-10-2019, 12:14 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I admittedly know nothing about Quincy Williams. I need to see this kid play before I can even consider him for a starting spot. At this point, I'd have to go with the best fits for guys I know can play in the NFL. I know we have been steadfast that Myles Jack is the MLB, but he has so much athletic ability and is so multi-faceted, that I believe he could easily slide to WLB and still be a pro-bowler. Jake Ryan is a pure MLB and should stay at that position. His ability to play the run is just too good to pass up. I think moving him to the weak side would be a huge mistake. I would then split the SLB position between Allen and Jacobs. I can see Allen being used a lot like Von Miller or Anthony Barr where he can rush off the edge or drop into coverage as an OLB. I think he's going to line up several different ways and will be very successful. To me, this is the best possible solution, at the current period of time.

I don't trust Jake Ryan in coverage. I see him as a guy coming in at MLB on those short-yardage situations. He reminds me of when we had Lonnie Marts.  Maybe we keep him in all game vs the Titans and Henry, but this is a passing league and Jack is the now the prototype MLB teams need. 
'02

(05-10-2019, 12:37 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(05-10-2019, 12:14 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I admittedly know nothing about Quincy Williams. I need to see this kid play before I can even consider him for a starting spot. At this point, I'd have to go with the best fits for guys I know can play in the NFL. I know we have been steadfast that Myles Jack is the MLB, but he has so much athletic ability and is so multi-faceted, that I believe he could easily slide to WLB and still be a pro-bowler. Jake Ryan is a pure MLB and should stay at that position. His ability to play the run is just too good to pass up. I think moving him to the weak side would be a huge mistake. I would then split the SLB position between Allen and Jacobs. I can see Allen being used a lot like Von Miller or Anthony Barr where he can rush off the edge or drop into coverage as an OLB. I think he's going to line up several different ways and will be very successful. To me, this is the best possible solution, at the current period of time.

I don't trust Jake Ryan in coverage. I see him as a guy coming in at MLB on those short-yardage situations. He reminds me of when we had Lonnie Marts.  Maybe we keep him in all game vs the Titans and Henry, but this is a passing league and Jack is the now the prototype MLB teams need. 

If we keep Jack at MLB, we have a big, gaping need at WLB. Unless Jacobs can play there, I see no other guy who can move to that spot without being a HUGE downgrade from Smith, even if he wasn't at his best in 2018. Like I said, Ryan is a pure MLB and Williams is too much of an unknown at this time.

(05-10-2019, 01:15 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-10-2019, 12:37 PM)Jags02 Wrote: I don't trust Jake Ryan in coverage. I see him as a guy coming in at MLB on those short-yardage situations. He reminds me of when we had Lonnie Marts.  Maybe we keep him in all game vs the Titans and Henry, but this is a passing league and Jack is the now the prototype MLB teams need. 

If we keep Jack at MLB, we have a big, gaping need at WLB. Unless Jacobs can play there, I see no other guy who can move to that spot without being a HUGE downgrade from Smith, even if he wasn't at his best in 2018. Like I said, Ryan is a pure MLB and Williams is too much of an unknown at this time.

He won't be an unknown by mid-July to this staff, and that's all that matters. They'll have a pretty good take on how prepared he can or can't be for the 2019 season. 

He might surprise us.  He's a bit of a Telvin Clone on paper and his college tape reveals some good things including a real nose for the football in traffic and a whalloping tackling technique. It's really just playbook and positional discilpline stuff that remains to be seen from this kid IMO. 

If he can't go by September, being able to slide Jack to will and play Ryan in the middle should bail them out of an otherwise tough spot fairly well.

(This post was last modified: 05-14-2019, 10:51 AM by Caldrac.)

I don't think Quincy Williams is that much of an unknown. Maybe to us. But certainly not to the scouting department and coaching staff. I don't think you take a player 98th overall and set low expectations earlier on. They didn't hesitate throwing Leon Jacobs into twelve games along with a trio of starts in his role last year and he was a 7th RD pick.

Blair Brown was a 5th RD pick just two years ago and as a rookie he played in thirteen games and started two earlier on. Same goes for Telvin Smith when he was a 5th RD pick. I think Quincy Williams will be thrown into the starting line-up by the end of September at the minimum. He's not being asked to play the Mike position. He'll have a lot to learn but for the most part when you look at his highlights from college he's a read and react, thumper type.

If he's being asked to cover a TE or keep an eye on the QB (If he's mobile) or watch the RB and they don't put too much on his plate I think he'll be a pleasant surprise. Again, I don't think you take a player 98th overall and with all of the given circumstances regarding Telvin Smith if they didn't have very, very early on expectations for Williams to get out there and mix it up I don't see how they could justify spending that high of a value pick on him.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(05-09-2019, 09:02 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Myles Jack - SAM
Jake Ryan - MLB
Quincy Williams - WLB

Josh Allen - SAM/WLB/DE rotation

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yep

Ryan in the middle, Jack at the strong side and Williams at the weak side w/Allen as the rotational DE rushing the opposing QB. This is my wish and I'm sticking to it. ?

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

It may be a little different early on as the rookie progress, but eventually we're going to see...

WLB Quincy Williams
MLB Myles Jack
SLB Josh Allen

This is going to be so awesome as Wash will finally be able to run his system the way he wants to run it.
'02

You guys can stop with all the moving Jack from MLB nonsense.

https://twitter.com/JohnReid64/status/11...4259280896

(05-14-2019, 09:47 PM)Eric1 Wrote: You guys can stop with all the moving Jack from MLB nonsense.

If you don't know, now you know.
'02

(05-15-2019, 12:02 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(05-14-2019, 09:47 PM)Eric1 Wrote: You guys can stop with all the moving Jack from MLB nonsense.

If you don't know, now you know.

Maybe. Maybe not. Still plenty of time left between now and the start of the regular season.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

FWIW, Oehser is guessing :

Williams - Jack - Jacobs (maybe Allen at times)

Quote:... The guess here is Jacobs/Jack/Williams open the season as the starting linebackers, but that’s purely a guess and this may not play out until training camp/preseason.
Jacobs appears the likely starter at strong-side linebacker, but the possibility of rookie edge defender Josh Allen playing there in base situations and playing end in passing situations is intriguing.

Williams, who has the skill set to play weak-side but will have to show he’s ready to quickly transition from Murray State to the NFL. The team would love for him to earn the starting job in Smith’s absence. 

(05-17-2019, 06:36 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: FWIW, Oehser is guessing :

Williams - Jack - Jacobs (maybe Allen at times)

Quote:... The guess here is Jacobs/Jack/Williams open the season as the starting linebackers, but that’s purely a guess and this may not play out until training camp/preseason.
Jacobs appears the likely starter at strong-side linebacker, but the possibility of rookie edge defender Josh Allen playing there in base situations and playing end in passing situations is intriguing.

Williams, who has the skill set to play weak-side but will have to show he’s ready to quickly transition from Murray State to the NFL. The team would love for him to earn the starting job in Smith’s absence. 

With Jack staying at Mike this alignment by far the most optimal. Assuming Williams is the player the Jags think he is.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

If Jack doesn't improve greatly he should be replaced at MLB as quickly as possible. He's nearly completely ineffective there.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(05-17-2019, 09:20 AM)pirkster Wrote: If Jack doesn't improve greatly he should be replaced at MLB as quickly as possible.  He's nearly completely ineffective there.

Agreed. I still think he's a better fit at SAM or WILL. I can't help but circle back to his rookie season and 2nd year where they still had Paul moving back and forth inside with him and he just seemed a lot more natural there and he had a tendency to make splash plays when the opposing offense was starting to get caught sleeping. 

If he struggles I think it's Ryan inside for sure. Jack kicked back to WILL or SAM. And they figure out the opposite side of him with the two new rookies we have and Jacobs from last year. I keep saying it. And I'll continue to say it. Paddy Fisher out of Northwestern should be a Jaguar next year. That kid can play inside in the NFL. He'll be a solid MIKE from day one wherever he ends up being drafted.

(This post was last modified: 05-17-2019, 05:36 PM by Eric1.)

LOL you guys are comical. Nobody said a word about him at MLB in 2017 when this Defense was playing at an elite level. The entire Defense took a step back (shouldn't have surprised anybody, considering they were an all time great Defense in 2017, hard to repeat those results) last season, but was still a top 5 unit, yet you guys are still crying.

Jack will be going into his 3rd year as a MLB and 2nd year as a full time MLB. No player will ever get used to a position if you move him from one spot to another every season..

He literally played 5-8 snaps per game at SLB his rookie season.. And I don't want to hear jack [BLEEP] about the Defense was sooo good in 2017 with Poz at MLB on base downs, because we played Nickel at least 70% of the time and it was Jack at MLB.

Poz honestly wasn't even that good his past couple years for us. His leadership was great, but he was slowing down and a huge liability in coverage. Which is why they took him out of the game for most of it.

But no, you guys want to put in another guy at MLB who is coming off an ACL injury (his 2nd ACL injury BTW), who is also a liability in coverage. Comedy at it's best.

"He's nearly completely ineffective there" LOL. What a [BLEEP] joke thing to say LOL.

The only thing you accomplish by moving Jack away from MLB, is making a bigger hole in that starting LB group and only adding more question marks.

(05-17-2019, 11:04 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(05-17-2019, 09:20 AM)pirkster Wrote: If Jack doesn't improve greatly he should be replaced at MLB as quickly as possible.  He's nearly completely ineffective there.

Agreed. I still think he's a better fit at SAM or WILL. I can't help but circle back to his rookie season and 2nd year where they still had Paul moving back and forth inside with him and he just seemed a lot more natural there and he had a tendency to make splash plays when the opposing offense was starting to get caught sleeping. 

If he struggles I think it's Ryan inside for sure. Jack kicked back to WILL or SAM. And they figure out the opposite side of him with the two new rookies we have and Jacobs from last year. I keep saying it. And I'll continue to say it. Paddy Fisher out of Northwestern should be a Jaguar next year. That kid can play inside in the NFL. He'll be a solid MIKE from day one wherever he ends up being drafted.

Jack is not a better fit at sam than mike, of the 3 spots thats the one you want him playing the least.

I Concur. Jack isn't the tackling machine that's required of the MLB. Ryan is an spin off of Poz and he'll be one hell of an LB for us. Prior to his injury, he was one of the top leading tacklers in the NFL.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"