Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Looking Back Debate: Fournette v. Dalvin Cook

(08-27-2019, 08:57 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-27-2019, 08:47 PM)Upper Wrote: Adams would have been a great pick, but I got that we had just spent sizeable money on Church.
Hooker would have been a great pick, but I got that we had spent big money on Gipson.
Lattimore would have been a great pick, but I got that we had just spent huge money on Bouye.
Howard was the other elite player in that draft, and there is no reason we shouldn't have drafted him. He and Kittle are the two elite all around young TE in the game, and our offense would be a ton better with him instead of LF.

What Howard does this year will be telling to this debate. 
He really hasn’t contributed much to date.
I expected more.

That's just because 1. TE is a slow burn position 2. He has had some injuries 3. TE impact is not as easy to quantify because they contribute a little bit everywhere.

Almost a thousand yards and 11 TDs in 22 games while leading all TE in yards per catch and being one of the best blockers in the league is great contribution IMO. He protects the QB, he opens holes for the RB, he stretches the field better than any other TE, and he scores lots of TDs. What's not to love?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-27-2019, 09:20 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Give me McCaffrey any day over Howard. McCaffrey and Foles would be a great combo

I was and am a big McCaffrey fan, I said if we had to take a RB it should without a doubt be CMC over LF. But, he's still a RB. He's still more dependent on scheme and oline than his own talent. I'm still running him to death for four years (5 w/ the option) and then giving him a franchise tag or two if he's still kicking...but he's off my team by 28 or 29 years old instead of giving him a big second contract.

TE age like fine wine. Howard could be contributing to us for twice as long.

(08-27-2019, 09:36 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: I think you need to remember that the RB hype that early was from Elliott and Prescott with the Cowboys and how running the ball was back and teams were looking to build that model.

Fournette ticked the boxes for the list but injuries were peoples main concern. Cook looked fast but fragile and McCaffrey was 'too small'.

McCaffrey looks for real, Fournette and Cook are in prove it contract years. They aren't getting $10m a year at the moment.
And this right here is the main issue with the majority of front offices. They have no idea how to think ahead but instead, try to copy someone else. It's why the Pats are always at the forefront and so is Andy Reid.

"Oh look at the Cowboys! They won and they drafted RB early." Also not realizing that their OLine is probably top 2 in the league at the time. If the Jags had really started to think ahead, they would have drafted Mahomes or Watson at #4 and then snagged RB later (Hunt, Kamara Mixon)

(08-28-2019, 08:48 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: (Hunt, Kamara Mixon)

Conner, Cohen, Mack, Jones, Carson...

it was as stacked of a RB class as I can remember and we took the first one and he might not even be a top 10 back in the class. Definitely not top 5-7.

(08-28-2019, 08:46 AM)Upper Wrote:
(08-27-2019, 09:20 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Give me McCaffrey any day over Howard.  McCaffrey and Foles would be a great combo

I was and am a big McCaffrey fan, I said if we had to take a RB it should without a doubt be CMC over LF. But, he's still a RB. He's still more dependent on scheme and oline than his own talent. I'm still running him to death for four years (5 w/ the option) and then giving him a franchise tag or two if he's still kicking...but he's off my team by 28 or 29 years old instead of giving him a big second contract.

TE age like fine wine. Howard could be contributing to us for twice as long.
Cool story, give me McCaffrey over Howard

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-28-2019, 08:48 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(08-27-2019, 09:36 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: I think you need to remember that the RB hype that early was from Elliott and Prescott with the Cowboys and how running the ball was back and teams were looking to build that model.

Fournette ticked the boxes for the list but injuries were peoples main concern. Cook looked fast but fragile and McCaffrey was 'too small'.

McCaffrey looks for real, Fournette and Cook are in prove it contract years. They aren't getting $10m a year at the moment.
And this right here is the main issue with the majority of front offices. They have no idea how to think ahead but instead, try to copy someone else. It's why the Pats are always at the forefront and so is Andy Reid.

"Oh look at the Cowboys! They won and they drafted RB early." Also not realizing that their OLine is probably top 2 in the league at the time. If the Jags had really started to think ahead, they would have drafted Mahomes or Watson at #4 and then snagged RB later (Hunt, Kamara Mixon)

I completely agree Cleatwood. You get the logic of it, its worked elsewhere but, I think it's a line in Moneyball, 'if we try to be the Yankees in here (building team) we will lose to the Yankees out there'

Coaches dont get long in modern football and sometimes they try and build a quick fix team but surely the franchise has a style or identity. 

But if you fill your roster with solid players, the x's and o's tend to sort themselves out.

(08-27-2019, 08:57 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-27-2019, 08:47 PM)Upper Wrote: Adams would have been a great pick, but I got that we had just spent sizeable money on Church.
Hooker would have been a great pick, but I got that we had spent big money on Gipson.
Lattimore would have been a great pick, but I got that we had just spent huge money on Bouye.
Howard was the other elite player in that draft, and there is no reason we shouldn't have drafted him. He and Kittle are the two elite all around young TE in the game, and our offense would be a ton better with him instead of LF.

What Howard does this year will be telling to this debate. 
He really hasn’t contributed much to date.
I expected more.

He was amazing last year just was injured. A full season would have been around 1k if not more than