Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Looking Back Debate: Fournette v. Dalvin Cook

(05-23-2019, 04:15 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-23-2019, 03:31 PM)Dimson Wrote: I was in rehab leading up to the draft and during the draft. Who was on the jags radar and was there really any serious consideration for QB with our pick?

From my perspective many fans and analysts thought Fournette just made too much sense and had to be the pick. 
Around 60% of this board seemed to be all in on that idea. 
Anytime I bad-mouthed the idea, four or five Fournette fans would tell me how stupid I was. 

No one really anticipated they'd pick a QB early, though many were hoping they would. 

Other players on the Jags radar here and around the interwebs included the top safety prospects and a couple of d-linemen.
 A strong handful wanted the TE, Howard at 4. 
Most of us figured TC would never take a TE that high. 
There was a small contingent that want Deshaun Watson, Kizer, or Lamar Jackson at the pick, but again most figured QB wouldn't happen early for the Jags.

Jackson came out last year

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-23-2019, 04:20 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-23-2019, 04:15 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: From my perspective many fans and analysts thought Fournette just made too much sense and had to be the pick. 
Anytime I bad-mouthed the idea, four or five Fournette fans would tell me how stupid I was. 

No one really anticipated they'd pick a QB early, though many were hoping they would. 

Other players on the Jags radar here and around the interwebs included the top safety prospects and a couple of d-linemen.
There was a small contingent that want Deshaun Watson, Kizer, or Lamar Jackson at the pick, but again most figured QB wouldn't happen early for the Jags.

Jackson came out last year

Thanks.
 Who was the other QB guys were calling for that year? Must've just been Watson and Kizer, but I thought there was another. There were only a small smattering liking Mahomes before the second round so it wasn't him.

(05-23-2019, 04:24 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-23-2019, 04:20 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Jackson came out last year

Thanks.
 Who was the other QB guys were calling for that year? Must've just been Watson and Kizer, but I thought there was another. There were only a small smattering liking Mahomes before the second round so it wasn't him.
Aaron Murray....

(05-23-2019, 04:47 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-23-2019, 04:24 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Thanks.
Aaron Murray....

hahaha

(This post was last modified: 05-23-2019, 05:05 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(05-23-2019, 04:47 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
Aaron Murray....

Murray was 2014

(05-23-2019, 05:04 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-23-2019, 04:47 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Aaron Murray....

Murray was 2014

[Image: whoosh.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 05-24-2019, 04:40 AM by JackCity.)

I believe that SamJag still has to change his bio considering how Watson appears to have turned out..though I haven't seen him for a while

(05-23-2019, 04:24 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-23-2019, 04:20 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Jackson came out last year

Thanks.

Nathan Peterman and your guy Davis Webb were in that draft.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(05-24-2019, 08:51 AM)PF* Wrote:

Nathan Peterman and your guy Davis Webb were in that draft.

Yeah. Not in the first round discussion though, which is what I was trying to remember.  
Trubisky, Watson and Kizer were the ones most were high on, especially around here. 

I still want to see my man Webb get a chance!  Big Grin Tongue

Neither Cook nor McCaffrey has had to carry an offense, because of a misfiring QB. Fournette managed 1,000+ yards facing defenses stacked against him every week.

Let’s see what he can do with a credible QB to take the pressure off him.

(05-25-2019, 05:01 AM)Andy G Wrote: Neither Cook nor McCaffrey has had to carry an offense, because of a misfiring QB. Fournette managed 1,000+ yards facing defenses stacked against him every week.

Let’s see what he can do with a credible QB to take the pressure off him.
Bahahaha 

Did you watch CMac last season when Cam couldn’t throw the ball more than 10 yards because of a bum shoulder? He was their entire offense.

The whole "we should've drafted Mahomes" is such hindsight garbage. Almost everyone considered that to be a reach at the time and NO ONE saw last season coming except maybe Andy Reid. But yes Aaron Murray on Day 2 had a lot of people pounding the table trying to speak that into existence.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(05-31-2019, 06:57 PM)Firesky Wrote: The whole "we should've drafted Mahomes" is such hindsight garbage. Almost everyone considered that to be a reach at the time and NO ONE saw last season coming except maybe Andy Reid. But yes Aaron Murray on Day 2 had a lot of people pounding the table trying to speak that into existence.

Mahomes also had the opportunity to essentially sit his entire rookie year and saw maybe action in one or two games late. The upside was always there with him. But the way he turned out in KC may not have been the case elsewhere in the NFL. 

Never understood the infatuation with Aaron Murray and I probably watch as much Bulldogs games during the college season than most folks on here being an actual Bulldogs fan. Murray was okay. I was never impressed with his arm ability though. 

Jacob Eason and Jake Fromm have much better overall arms for the NFL and depending on how quickly Eason gets up to speed with the Huskies it's possible you're looking at a top 20 pick in Fromm when he declares and Eason potentially being a sneaky late day one prospect or day two pick at the minimum. 

Murray going in the 5th RD to KC was about right IMHO a few years ago when they selected him.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Cook showed he is finally healthy and capable of being a star. The hole he hit today, LF would have never made it to the 2nd level, let alone making it through the hole and taking it to the end zone.

The 2 backs everyone else wanted showing they are a lot better than LF.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Dalvin is sooooooo much better. Not even on the same planet talent wise. And I wasn't a Dalvin fan either.

(05-23-2019, 04:15 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-23-2019, 03:31 PM)Dimson Wrote: I was in rehab leading up to the draft and during the draft. Who was on the jags radar and was there really any serious consideration for QB with our pick?

From my perspective many fans and analysts thought Fournette just made too much sense and had to be the pick. 

Tight End Howard at number 4 was just waaay too high for him. If Fournette doesn’t run wild this year then he is a bust.

I need some Natrone Means type performances up in Buffalo and Denver from 1996. Fournette has it in him. See the Pittsburgh game when he went for 190 and 2 TDs. Need a whole lot more of those.

Taylor vs Pitt - 234
Taylor vs NO - 194
Fournette vs Pitt - 190
Taylor vs Det - 183
MJD vs Ten - 177

Playoffs Means vs Buf - 186

These are the top rushing performances of all time in our franchise’s history. Fournette has it in him. But I’m giving him this year to make up for the last 2. If he rushes for anything under 1200 yards it will be a disappointment.

He needs to score 10 or more TDs as well.

There’s still time imo

(This post was last modified: 08-27-2019, 08:48 PM by Upper.)

Adams would have been a great pick, but I got that we had just spent sizeable money on Church.
Hooker would have been a great pick, but I got that we had spent big money on Gipson.
Lattimore would have been a great pick, but I got that we had just spent huge money on Bouye.
Howard was the other elite player in that draft, and there is no reason we shouldn't have drafted him. He and Kittle are the two elite all around young TE in the game, and our offense would be a ton better with him instead of LF.

(08-27-2019, 08:47 PM)Upper Wrote: Adams would have been a great pick, but I got that we had just spent sizeable money on Church.
Hooker would have been a great pick, but I got that we had spent big money on Gipson.
Lattimore would have been a great pick, but I got that we had just spent huge money on Bouye.
Howard was the other elite player in that draft, and there is no reason we shouldn't have drafted him. He and Kittle are the two elite all around young TE in the game, and our offense would be a ton better with him instead of LF.

What Howard does this year will be telling to this debate. 
He really hasn’t contributed much to date.
I expected more.

Give me McCaffrey any day over Howard. McCaffrey and Foles would be a great combo

I think you need to remember that the RB hype that early was from Elliott and Prescott with the Cowboys and how running the ball was back and teams were looking to build that model.

Fournette ticked the boxes for the list but injuries were peoples main concern. Cook looked fast but fragile and McCaffrey was 'too small'.

McCaffrey looks for real, Fournette and Cook are in prove it contract years. They aren't getting $10m a year at the moment.