Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Scripps Howard National Spelling Bee

So am I the only nerd who tunes in to this every year?

I was a participant years ago at the regional level, and have always enjoyed watching the kids work their way through the origins, roots, and suffixes to get words I have never heard of spelled correctly. We never had that level of training to prepare for the bee - we got a list of words that would be used in blocks, getting more advanced as you go, and we simply drilled through those lists during competition.

Last night's final was bonkers, and the event coordinators finally gave in after nearly three hours of drilling, and crowned a whopping 8 co-champs. It was awesome to see everyone at that point be recognized for their accomplishment.

There's no telling how long the event would have lasted if they waited until they got down to two remaining finalists.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Unwilling to do the hard to work to determine a true winner. Soft.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

That’s why you raise the blinds and antes.

When they reach the finals it should be a shorter time limit per word and no hints.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(05-31-2019, 10:06 PM)rollerjag Wrote: When they reach the finals it should be a shorter time limit per word and no hints.

I'm ok with the clues, but reducing the time limit also limits the time to run through all the information.

using the word in a sentence didn't often seem helpful, although some of them are humorous.  If I knew the word and had time, I'd ask for that just to break the tension.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-31-2019, 09:26 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Unwilling to do the hard to work to determine a true winner. Soft.

I think its more a comment on how important tests have become. People scheme and train so hard now that they literally can't lose. Its like how the medical board exams average increases every year. The tools to study have expanded, and these kids find ways to memorize more than ever before.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

I fur sho shud had bend on that thar shuw.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(This post was last modified: 06-12-2019, 08:10 PM by Jags.)

(06-11-2019, 08:11 PM)Jagwired Wrote: I fur sho shud had bend on that thar shuw.

You’d give those pre-k kids in Chi-town a run for their money.