Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Yannick Ngakoue skipping mandatory mini camp

(06-13-2019, 10:26 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I hope folks are aware that having a high number of defenders worthy of major contracts is a good thing.

The reality here is that Ngakoue and his agent are likely asking for a number well beyond what the Jags can pay while still keeping their finances in order for next year's anticipated new contracts. (Ramsey in particular)

They'll go back and forth until the team gives up a little more than they want to and Ngakoue takes a little less than he wants to. Probably gets resolved around the third week of July or sooner.

In the meantime, remind yourselves that this is a good problem to have.

+1

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2019, 04:59 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(06-10-2019, 04:37 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I'm not going to jump to conclusions.  There is really nothing to indicate that the team is "playing hardball" with him or his agent.  He's got to do what he feels will be better for his future.  I'm sure it will be sorted out over the next few days or even the next few weeks.

Just my personal opinion but I dislike when players decide to hold out while being under contract.  I understand why they do and don't blame them, it's just something that I would never even think of doing.  I'm sure when it all plays out he will get what he deserves and the team can move on.

(06-13-2019, 10:27 AM)JackCity Wrote: Yannick shouldn't be asking for any less than the likes of Dlaw, Flowers , Clark etc etc
Yes, I think his max should be Lawrence.  Yannick is a great player but he's not as good as Lawrence.  I think he gets a contract that mirrors Lawrence but with less guaranteed.  Clark's and Lawrence both have the same contract but Clark has 43.8 guaranteed and Lawrence has 65 mil guaranteed.  I think Yannick get the same 5 year deal 105 mil, with 50 mil guaranteed.  A contract the splits the guaranteed money of Clark and Lawrence

(06-13-2019, 04:56 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 04:37 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I'm not going to jump to conclusions.  There is really nothing to indicate that the team is "playing hardball" with him or his agent.  He's got to do what he feels will be better for his future.  I'm sure it will be sorted out over the next few days or even the next few weeks.

Just my personal opinion but I dislike when players decide to hold out while being under contract.  I understand why they do and don't blame them, it's just something that I would never even think of doing.  I'm sure when it all plays out he will get what he deserves and the team can move on.

(06-13-2019, 10:27 AM)JackCity Wrote: Yannick shouldn't be asking for any less than the likes of Dlaw, Flowers , Clark etc etc
Yes, I think his max should be Lawrence.  Yannick is a great player but he's not as good as Lawrence.  I think he gets a contract that mirrors Lawrence but with less guaranteed.  Clark's and Lawrence both have the same contract but Clark has 43.8 guaranteed and Lawrence has 65 mil guaranteed.  I think Yannick get the same 5 year deal 105 mil, with 50 mil guaranteed.  A contract the splits the guaranteed money of Clark and Lawrence

Both got over 60 million guaranteed from what I saw.

(06-13-2019, 05:38 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(06-13-2019, 04:56 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Yes, I think his max should be Lawrence.  Yannick is a great player but he's not as good as Lawrence.  I think he gets a contract that mirrors Lawrence but with less guaranteed.  Clark's and Lawrence both have the same contract but Clark has 43.8 guaranteed and Lawrence has 65 mil guaranteed.  I think Yannick get the same 5 year deal 105 mil, with 50 mil guaranteed.  A contract the splits the guaranteed money of Clark and Lawrence

Both got over 60 million guaranteed from what I saw.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-...ark-16787/

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2019, 08:01 PM by JackCity.)

(06-13-2019, 07:41 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(06-13-2019, 05:38 PM)JackCity Wrote: Both got over 60 million guaranteed from what I saw.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-...ark-16787/

I see. Your comment above is taking two different figures from two different places

(06-13-2019, 07:58 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(06-13-2019, 07:41 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-...ark-16787/

I see. Your comment above is taking two different figures from two different places

What?

(06-13-2019, 08:03 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(06-13-2019, 07:58 PM)JackCity Wrote: I see. Your comment above is taking two different figures from two different places

What?

Read the guaranteed at signing for both

(06-13-2019, 08:05 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(06-13-2019, 08:03 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: What?

Read the guaranteed at signing for both

Looks like they messed up on that one number.  Here it is 43.8 again

https://overthecap.com/player/frank-clark/3911/

That's the range I think he will fall into. He certainly deserves it, but I just don't know where it will come from, since Ramsey will be asking to be the top paid CB in the NFL and Jack will likely be asking to be paid in the range of the top 5 MLB's in the NFL.

(06-13-2019, 10:25 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

That's the range I think he will fall into. He certainly deserves it, but I just don't know where it ($) will come from, since Ramsey will be asking to be the top paid CB in the NFL and Jack will likely be asking to be paid in the range of the top 5 MLB's in the NFL.

I don't get why people keep saying this   ^ 

Potential releases and savings in 2020:

Dareus - $20 million   (will be 30)
Campbell  - $15 million    (will be 34)
Bouye   -  $11.5 million
Lee   --  $5.25 million
Linder  -  $8 million
DJ Hayden - $6 million
AJ Cann   -   $2.5 million

This [BLEEP] ain't rocket science.  You make room to keep the young talent. Evaluate the draft for which guys on that list you can replace cheaply -  and just get it done. 

If one or two of the top three on that list want to restructure, then great... 
...the ones that won't, screw 'em and draft replacements. 

Either way you've got $30+ million in cap space coming off the books next year one way or the other. Plus another 12-15 million in cap increase from the league.

I don’t think we can look at the draft like that anymore. BAP all the way .

(06-13-2019, 11:03 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I don’t think we can look at the draft like that anymore. BAP all the way .

Every team in the NFL looks at the draft to fill needs EVERY SINGLE YEAR. 

You're kidding yourself if you fall for some other reality. They may use a couple of picks in a BAP fashion. But at least one of the early picks will be straight need. 

They may be filling a need that they anticipate 2 years from draft time, but every team drafts need. 
Pure BAP is a diamond-encrusted, vibranium blooded, crystal-boned unicorn.  
It doesn't exist. 

Drafting and developing talent is the only sustainable franchise model, and that means some of those draft picks are pinpointed to fill roster need. Every year.

We hit the nail on the head when we drafted Ramsey, Jack and Yannick. Now we have to pay the price.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(06-10-2019, 03:23 PM)Upper Wrote: Contrast the way they're playing hardball with Yannick with how fast they slobbered over themselves trying to pat themselves on the back that Bortles had a fluke stretch of ok play. Shameful.

Not only that but what message does it send to the rest of the team? This young man has done nothing but play his [BLEEP] off and keep his nose clean off the field, not to mention took the starting job from first rounder. The team can sure shell out the money for busted [BLEEP] free agents so they need to pay our own guys.
"If this team gets lessons from losing they should all be Einsteins by now."---Jaguarmvp

"Football is not played on paper, its played inside Televisions"---Random Poster BCC

(06-14-2019, 02:30 AM)ajagsfan Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 03:23 PM)Upper Wrote: Contrast the way they're playing hardball with Yannick with how fast they slobbered over themselves trying to pat themselves on the back that Bortles had a fluke stretch of ok play. Shameful.

Not only that but what message does it send to the rest of the team? This young man has done nothing but play his [BLEEP] off and keep his nose clean off the field, not to mention took the starting job from first rounder. The team can sure shell out the money for busted [BLEEP] free agents so they need to pay our own guys.

I think both of you are overreacting.  This is a normal negotiation.  It'll get done.  Ngakoue just doesn't want to get injured while he's in the middle of a contract negotiation.

(06-14-2019, 08:19 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 02:30 AM)ajagsfan Wrote: Not only that but what message does it send to the rest of the team? This young man has done nothing but play his [BLEEP] off and keep his nose clean off the field, not to mention took the starting job from first rounder. The team can sure shell out the money for busted [BLEEP] free agents so they need to pay our own guys.

I think both of you are overreacting.  This is a normal negotiation.  It'll get done.  Ngakoue just doesn't want to get injured while he's in the middle of a contract negotiation.

Agreed. He’s protecting his assets. Smart move.

(This post was last modified: 06-14-2019, 09:04 AM by Kane.)

(06-13-2019, 11:23 PM)NH3 Wrote: We hit the nail on the head when we drafted Ramsey, Jack and Yannick. Now we have to pay the price.

NH3...

Yeah but like no one from the previous draft is getting a 2nd contract and Big $ FAs eventually have to go.

The money is there.

(06-14-2019, 08:19 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 02:30 AM)ajagsfan Wrote: Not only that but what message does it send to the rest of the team? This young man has done nothing but play his [BLEEP] off and keep his nose clean off the field, not to mention took the starting job from first rounder. The team can sure shell out the money for busted [BLEEP] free agents so they need to pay our own guys.

Bingo.

He showed up to voluntary OTAs because there is minimal work and zero contact

This is the NFL. No one should be mad at Yan, he has earned the right to scoff at the final year of his rookie deal.
I know he isn't hitting 15-20 sacks, but 10 sacks avg per year plus all the pressures he provides, force fumbles, etc.... He definitely deserves something in the range of the 4th or 5th best DE contract, imo.

(06-13-2019, 10:55 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-13-2019, 10:25 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: That's the range I think he will fall into. He certainly deserves it, but I just don't know where it ($) will come from, since Ramsey will be asking to be the top paid CB in the NFL and Jack will likely be asking to be paid in the range of the top 5 MLB's in the NFL.

I don't get why people keep saying this   ^ 

Potential releases and savings in 2020:

Dareus - $20 million   (will be 30)
Campbell  - $15 million    (will be 34)
Bouye   -  $11.5 million
Lee   --  $5.25 million
Linder  -  $8 million
DJ Hayden - $6 million
AJ Cann   -   $2.5 million

This [BLEEP] ain't rocket science.  You make room to keep the young talent. Evaluate the draft for which guys on that list you can replace cheaply -  and just get it done. 

If one or two of the top three on that list want to restructure, then great... 
...the ones that won't, screw 'em and draft replacements. 

Either way you've got $30+ million in cap space coming off the books next year one way or the other. Plus another 12-15 million in cap increase from the league.

But where is it coming from man? WHERE IS IT COMING FROM?!?!?

I don't think anyone has seriously questioned whether we can keep our young core if we really want, it's not that hard to make a lot of room cutting our veteran FA adds from the past few years.

The problem is that we build a pretty solid team through at best decent drafting, but mostly extreme FA spending. Now that our handful of core draftees are having to get paid the money that was going to free agents each year we are going to have to fill in almost exclusively through the draft now...and I don't think our draft record has shown that we should be too optimistic about that.

[Image: 6beb1d9805596b30f743a615bad1770ff2265c34...3bed9a.jpg]