Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Yannick Ngakoue skipping mandatory mini camp

(06-14-2019, 11:28 AM)Upper Wrote: I don't think anyone has seriously questioned whether we can keep our young core if we really want, it's not that hard to make a lot of room cutting our veteran FA adds from the past few years.

The problem is that we build a pretty solid team through at best decent drafting, but mostly extreme FA spending. Now that our handful of core draftees are having to get paid the money that was going to free agents each year we are going to have to fill in almost exclusively through the draft now...and I don't think our draft record has shown that we should be too optimistic about that.

The question you are denying happens here all the time, as well as on local radio. 
The unnecessary fear is real. Trust me. 

The players that fans are afraid of losing to free agency were draft picks, a fact that renders your second paragraph pretty weak. 

What happens this season with Bryan, Taylor, Harrison, Chark, Oliver et al - will tell us whether you have something to fear or not regarding future drafting.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-14-2019, 11:38 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 11:28 AM)Upper Wrote: I don't think anyone has seriously questioned whether we can keep our young core if we really want, it's not that hard to make a lot of room cutting our veteran FA adds from the past few years.

The problem is that we build a pretty solid team through at best decent drafting, but mostly extreme FA spending. Now that our handful of core draftees are having to get paid the money that was going to free agents each year we are going to have to fill in almost exclusively through the draft now...and I don't think our draft record has shown that we should be too optimistic about that.

The question you are denying happens here all the time, as well as on local radio. 

The players that fans are afraid of losing to free agency were draft picks, a fact that renders your second paragraph pretty weak. 

What happens this season with Bryan, Taylor, Harrison, Chark, Oliver et al - will tell us whether you have something to fear or not regarding future drafting.

It's accurate. We drafted like four core players through the first 5 seasons of Dave's drafting...but the bulk of our core was Calais, Malik, Bouye, Gipson, Church, Parnell, Dareus. Basically all of the names you listed have to be major hits, and a much larger percentage of the draftees going forward, or we're facing a painful drop off. Or we can always draft an elite QB, of course.

(06-14-2019, 11:53 AM)Upper Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 11:38 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: The question you are denying happens here all the time, as well as on local radio. 

It's accurate. We drafted like four core players through the first 5 seasons of Dave's drafting...but the bulk of our core was Calais, Malik, Bouye, Gipson, Church, Parnell, Dareus. Basically all of the names you listed have to be major hits, and a much larger percentage of the draftees going forward, or we're facing a painful drop off. Or we can always draft an elite QB, of course.

Eh.  

They need to hit on draft picks better than they did between 2013-2015. 
2016-2019 picks aren't shaping up too badly. 

Of course - I haven't already written off half of the players you've decided are busts (like Robinson, Taylor, Bryan etc)

I'm not worried about the money side of things even a little bit. The cap is plenty malleable.

Yannick will be signed within the next few weeks and Jalen, well I'm not totally sure Jalen will want to stay here if the losing continues so that's an aside to the money

(06-14-2019, 11:34 AM)Kane Wrote: [Image: 6beb1d9805596b30f743a615bad1770ff2265c34...3bed9a.jpg]

Love me some Rounders.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

I would argue he is the most important young player on our team.  Yes I value him over Ramsey.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(06-14-2019, 03:14 PM)JackCity Wrote: https://mobile.twitter.com/phillip_heilm...8627453952

These numbers are impressive. 70 hits on the QB with 29.5 Sacks.
Wow

While impressive, that Heilman stat is pretty misleading too. Last 3 seasons instead of first 3 seasons would have been a much more fair comparison. Yannick would still stack up very well, but they wouldn't look imbalanced like that.

While it's a feather in his cap that Yannick was impactful right away, it's not really a knock on the others that they spent their rookie seasons behind some Justin Houston/Hali/Avril/etc stud pass rushers.

(06-15-2019, 09:41 AM)Upper Wrote: While impressive, that Heilman stat is pretty misleading too. Last 3 seasons instead of first 3 seasons would have been a much more fair comparison. Yannick would still stack up very well, but they wouldn't look imbalanced like that.

While it's a feather in his cap that Yannick was impactful right away, it's not really a knock on the others that they spent their rookie seasons behind some Justin Houston/Hali/Avril/etc stud pass rushers.

That's a given. I think the overall point was "he's already done this over the first 3 seasons , wonder what he can do over the next 3 Vs those other guys"

I don't think it was a given. I think many assumed the stat comparison was coming from even footing for all of the players.

(This post was last modified: 06-15-2019, 11:21 AM by JagsFansince1995.)

(06-15-2019, 10:05 AM)Upper Wrote: I don't think it was a given. I think many assumed the stat comparison was coming from even footing for all of the players.

People use stats to make their point of view seem right all the time.  I don't really even pay attention to stats like that nowadays.  its more of the eye test for me since i've seen people argue, some of the dumbest things i've ever heard, with stats.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(06-15-2019, 10:05 AM)Upper Wrote: I don't think it was a given. I think many assumed the stat comparison was coming from even footing for all of the players.

“Many” are idiots.

His point was about Yannick being great over his 1st three seasons Vs the other guys who didn't hit the ground on the level he did whether through injury, situation or meh play.

He wasn't saying he was a better pass rusher or that all things equal Yannick outproduced them all

The bottom line is Yan is our best defensive lineman for the future. We flat out better get a deal done soon.

If we’re gonna go for a super bowl, we’re gonna need his production.

Salary Cap Expert, Jason Fitzgerald, seems to think $21m per year.

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2019/6/21/...w-contract

I'll never understand why some choose to get overly invested, seemingly on a personal level, with these issues.

It's just business.

I hope he gets what he can. But... will I lose sleep or be angry if the team has a number and lets him walk if they can't come to an agreement? No. It would be very unfortunate, but not franchise ending.

I expect him to play his contract until both sides agree on an extension. If he doesn't and sits out during real time, you can't be upset at the team if they start looking for trade partners.

I don't think he'll do that. I think he's hungry and would rather play. We'll see.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(06-21-2019, 03:46 PM)pirkster Wrote: I'll never understand why some choose to get overly invested, seemingly on a personal level, with these issues.

It's just business.

I hope he gets what he can.  But... will I lose sleep or be angry if the team has a number and lets him walk if they can't come to an agreement?  No.  It would be very unfortunate, but not franchise ending.

I expect him to play his contract until both sides agree on an extension.  If he doesn't and sits out during real time, you can't be upset at the team if they start looking for trade partners.

I don't think he'll do that.  I think he's hungry and would rather play.  We'll see.

I wonder if he could get an insurance policy that protects him in this case. 

If seen plenty of draftees take them to prevent a fall, but a player to protect against injury in a contract year? I don't think I've ever seen that.

(06-21-2019, 05:40 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I wonder if he could get an insurance policy that protects him in this case. 

If seen plenty of draftees take them to prevent a fall, but a player to protect against injury in a contract year? I don't think I've ever seen that.

Players are generally too cheap and/or stupid to do this. It really would make sense to get one day 1 for contract #2. It is challenging to value the potential contract and risk, so most players don't want to pay the costs to do this.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

I never said Calais wasn't a good to great player. I said he needs to go so our young players can be taken care of. Yall are putting words in my mouth. He is just eating up cap space while our drafted players deserve the money he's eating. He's not a Jaguar. He's a hired gun. Meanwhile Jalen and Yannick are and have been from the start.
A True Fan ladies and gentlemen:
(11-12-2018, 07:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ramsey for Grier straight up