Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Canton Expansion and Boselli's HOF Shot

(This post was last modified: 07-10-2019, 10:09 AM by Caldrac.)

(07-10-2019, 08:56 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(07-09-2019, 11:10 AM)Caldrac Wrote: I think they should just leave it alone and let it stand as it is today. It's really a backhanded compliment or just a bone being thrown for the sake of throwing one out there. Cheapens the induction in my opinion.

Nah it's to clear a backlog and to celebrate the anniversary of the NFL.

Boselli will get in too

(07-09-2019, 12:48 PM)rfc17 Wrote: I'm surprised they are trying to make it easier for senior players.  It was already easier to get in back when they retired because there were fewer eligible players.  They shouldnt allow senior players to begin with.  Keep it at 5.  If you dont quite make it you probably werent worthy anyways.

There's a lot of HOF worthy players who aren't in, which is why they're having one extra big class in celebration of the anniversary to help clear the back log some.  

There isn't really anyone who will be put in that will suddenly dampen the hall being an amazing achievement.

If it's to clear a backlog then it's ultimately circling back to what I was saying. They're just throwing a bone out there for the sake of throwing one out there. I understand where you're coming from. They're just trying to glamorize and cash in some more since it''ll mark 100 years from 1920 to 2020 next year since the NFL was founded. 

The Hall of Fame itself though will be entering it's 56th or 57th year of existence with this next class coming up. The NFL could have helped with these previous "backlogs" by setting up additional marks at 25, 50, 75 or 20, 30, 40, 50, etc. to pile more players into Canton. It's a business though. So it's understandable. They'll do what they have to do to bring attention to itself and more income to itself like any business would. 

But the majority of fans will always be divided over anything being changed marginally or majorly to accommodate a certain idea. It does feel like a participation trophy is being thrown around now. And I understand that inductees wouldn't be mentioned if they were not worthy. But that also backhands some of the TRULY elite, game changing, game defining, game innovating players, coaches and owners that left a huge mark for the better in the NFL. 

We have a handful of great players that have come and gone throughout the NFL. And then we have a group of truly remarkable players that did things nobody else was doing during their respective eras. It's really another backhanded move to those guys who got in based on just that.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Messages In This Thread
RE: Canton Expansion and Boselli's HOF Shot - by Caldrac - 07-10-2019, 09:59 AM