Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Preparing for week 1

Andy Reid hasn't lost a week 1 game since 2010.

He's going to be throwing some wild new looks at Todd Wash and he better have counters or we're finished

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Any chance for a Mahomes sophomore slump? No way he does MVP type numbers this year right?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(09-05-2019, 09:56 AM)knarnn Wrote: Any chance for a Mahomes sophomore slump? No way he does MVP type numbers this year right?

Nah. Even if he doesn't hit the same numbers as last year he'll still be a top 5 QB.

+ it's only his 2nd year starting , so in theory the extra experience should help level out some of the regression.

(09-05-2019, 09:21 AM)JackCity Wrote: Andy Reid hasn't lost a week 1 game since 2010.

He's going to be throwing some wild new looks at Todd Wash and he better have counters or we're finished

Bet we'll be throwing some wild new defensive looks as well. There have already been hints of this in camp and during the preseason games. The old defense held on pretty well last time we met, but offensive mistakes pulled that game from the Jags grasp. I dig the Chiefs offense, but if we're honest, it isn't anything new. It's predicated on quick plays, speed after the catch, and capitalizing on defensive gaps. I suspect we'll see a ton of our new 3/4 looks as long as the Jags can continue to get pressure with the minimal lineman. However, the most important thing is keeping their offense off the field — something we just couldn't do with the Boat.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(09-05-2019, 10:30 AM)B2hibry Wrote:
(09-05-2019, 09:21 AM)JackCity Wrote: Andy Reid hasn't lost a week 1 game since 2010.

Bet we'll be throwing some wild new defensive looks as well. There have already been hints of this in camp and during the preseason games. The old defense held on pretty well last time we met, but offensive mistakes pulled that game from the Jags grasp. I dig the Chiefs offense, but if we're honest, it isn't anything new. It's predicated on quick plays, speed after the catch, and capitalizing on defensive gaps. I suspect we'll see a ton of our new 3/4 looks as long as the Jags can continue to get pressure with the minimal lineman. However, the most important thing is keeping their offense off the field — something we just couldn't do with the Boat.

It's not that the Chiefs offense is some new fangled way of doing offense, it's that Andy always has some really different types of playcalls, sequencing and personnel uses when he's given a long time to plan. The Pats game week 1 of 2017 is a good example. He altered the offense with a lot of new plays and made Smith reach new heights as a QB. So Wash will have to be coy of what gameplan he may be hit with.

I'd be surprised if the Jags didn't throw out looks like that. The key for us will be how do we protect the likes of Wilson and Quincy from being exploited by Andy, making sure we make our tackles and screens and of course keeping everything in front of us. 

Defense did play well last year but Andy and Pat have experience Vs the defense now and i have far more faith in their ability to gameplan and adjust Vs Todd Washs.

(09-05-2019, 09:56 AM)knarnn Wrote: Any chance for a Mahomes sophomore slump? No way he does MVP type numbers this year right?

....what if last year was his sophomore slump year? He did get some garbage time in at the end of his rookie year.

(09-05-2019, 10:30 AM)B2hibry Wrote:

Have you been watching the Jags defense at all during the past 3 years or so?

They don't make changes at all. They still struggle with QBs who can actually move and then add in that Mahomes is the best "throwing while moving" QB in the league and you got a tough matchup. Why would you expect them to be throwing "wild new looks" out there right now when they haven't done that in 3 years? I would expect them to keep it somewhat simple because we are starting 2 brand new safeties who are going to be seeing things they have never seen before from Reid.

I also don't know if the defense held on well last year or it was just that KC stopped caring. It was 20-0 at halftime and 30-7 at the start of the 4th. The Chiefs had about 450 yards from scrimmage in that game and they still scored 30 (pick 6 helped get there but still).

(09-05-2019, 12:24 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-05-2019, 10:30 AM)B2hibry Wrote: Bet we'll be throwing some wild new defensive looks as well. There have already been hints of this in camp and during the preseason games. The old defense held on pretty well last time we met, but offensive mistakes pulled that game from the Jags grasp. I dig the Chiefs offense, but if we're honest, it isn't anything new. It's predicated on quick plays, speed after the catch, and capitalizing on defensive gaps. I suspect we'll see a ton of our new 3/4 looks as long as the Jags can continue to get pressure with the minimal lineman. However, the most important thing is keeping their offense off the field — something we just couldn't do with the Boat.

They don't make changes at all. They still struggle with QBs who can actually move and then add in that Mahomes is the best "throwing while moving" QB in the league and you got a tough matchup. Why would you expect them to be throwing "wild new looks" out there right now when they haven't done that in 3 years? I would expect them to keep it somewhat simple because we are starting 2 brand new safeties who are going to be seeing things they have never seen before from Reid.

I also don't know if the defense held on well last year or it was just that KC stopped caring. It was 20-0 at halftime and 30-7 at the start of the 4th. The Chiefs had about 450 yards from scrimmage in that game and they still scored 30 (pick 6 helped get there but still).

The Jags defense in 2018 absolutely made more in game adjustments in coverage than they had previously. That was a noted departure to me for the previous season.  It didn’t always work. But they did it. 

New looks have already happened with the front seven this preseason and with Allen and Capers in the mix I fully expect that to continue. That will include different pressure packages than the chefs have seen from this defense. 

I don’t think they’ll do anything radical in the secondary this week given the opponent, but I don’t think they’ll shy away from an adjustment or two if the chefs are picking on a particular mismatch or soft spot.

(09-05-2019, 12:58 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-05-2019, 12:24 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Have you been watching the Jags defense at all during the past 3 years or so?

The Jags defense in 2018 absolutely made more in game adjustments in coverage than they had previously. That was a noted departure to me for the previous season.  It didn’t always work. But they did it. 

New looks have already happened with the front seven this preseason and with Allen and Capers in the mix I fully expect that to continue. That will include different pressure packages than the chefs have seen from this defense. 

I don’t think they’ll do anything radical in the secondary this week given the opponent, but I don’t think they’ll shy away from an adjustment or two if the chefs are picking on a particular mismatch or soft spot.
I don't buy anything in the preseason. I'm going to hold all judgement until the regular season begins and I see these new looks. Marrone and company are not very creative. They tend to stick with what they know to a fault. Hopefully the addition of Capers/DeFilipo gives the Jags some new and creative looks.

(09-05-2019, 01:04 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-05-2019, 12:58 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: The Jags defense in 2018 absolutely made more in game adjustments in coverage than they had previously. That was a noted departure to me for the previous season.  It didn’t always work. But they did it. 

I don't buy anything in the preseason. I'm going to hold all judgement until the regular season begins and I see these new looks. Marrone and company are not very creative. They tend to stick with what they know to a fault. Hopefully the addition of Capers/DeFilipo gives the Jags some new and creative looks.

Yes, it's astounding that Marrone served as Sean Payton's OC because none of that creativity rubbed off on him. Todd Wash is about as vanilla as it gets. I wish Capers could take over the defense. There are a lot of pass-rush options for his zone-blitz scheme. Josh Allen could be his Clay Matthews/TBrack to move around wrecking havoc.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(09-05-2019, 01:14 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(09-05-2019, 01:04 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I don't buy anything in the preseason. I'm going to hold all judgement until the regular season begins and I see these new looks. Marrone and company are not very creative. They tend to stick with what they know to a fault. Hopefully the addition of Capers/DeFilipo gives the Jags some new and creative looks.

Yes, it's astounding that Marrone served as Sean Payton's OC because none of that creativity rubbed off on him. Todd Wash is about as vanilla as it gets. I wish Capers could take over the defense. There are a lot of pass-rush options for his zone-blitz scheme. Josh Allen could be his Clay Matthews/TBrack to move around wrecking havoc.

Let's see what the Jags do in real action. They haven't shown much, but they did show some things with Yannick lining up inside and Allen outside. That may open a lot of stuff up and then leave the other side wide open. You can't double both of them on one side. Then if you blitz from that, good luck with Williams or Jack shooting the gap. They have many options to do whatever they want with almost any of the defenders.

(09-05-2019, 12:24 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-05-2019, 10:30 AM)B2hibry Wrote: Bet we'll be throwing some wild new defensive looks as well. There have already been hints of this in camp and during the preseason games. The old defense held on pretty well last time we met, but offensive mistakes pulled that game from the Jags grasp. I dig the Chiefs offense, but if we're honest, it isn't anything new. It's predicated on quick plays, speed after the catch, and capitalizing on defensive gaps. I suspect we'll see a ton of our new 3/4 looks as long as the Jags can continue to get pressure with the minimal lineman. However, the most important thing is keeping their offense off the field — something we just couldn't do with the Boat.

As a matter of fact yes, along with practices. Do you? Every year with this DC has brought additional wrinkles whether you notice them or not. You can only expand as much as your players can take in. This year looks to be significant by watching what they've done in practice and a few times in preseason games.

Don't let the score fool ya. It wasn't as lopsided as it appears. At least be honest in your assessment. #1, the worst player on the defense that day has gone into retirement. #2, The QB that kept turning the ball over is on a different team. #3, The SS that was constantly out of position is gone. #4, The starting O-line is playing in this one.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(09-05-2019, 01:47 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(09-05-2019, 01:14 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: Yes, it's astounding that Marrone served as Sean Payton's OC because none of that creativity rubbed off on him. Todd Wash is about as vanilla as it gets. I wish Capers could take over the defense. There are a lot of pass-rush options for his zone-blitz scheme. Josh Allen could be his Clay Matthews/TBrack to move around wrecking havoc.

Let's see what the Jags do in real action. They haven't shown much, but they did show some things with Yannick lining up inside and Allen outside. That may open a lot of stuff up and then leave the other side wide open. You can't double both of them on one side. Then if you blitz from that, good luck with Williams or Jack shooting the gap. They have many options to do whatever they want with almost any of the defenders.
I don't deny that. However, this regime has shown a stubbornness when it comes to their personnel. Running QBs continually torch the Jags. The offense is so crazily predictable.

Hopefully the new additions of Foles, Defilipo and Capers allows the Jags to open things up more and be a little more creative.

Another thing, this game is going to be hot. The high is 97 right now, so there is no way the KC is ready for it. As long as the Jags defense isn't forced to stay on the field for a high # of plays, they should have the advantage.

Can I get some clarification on what this "abdominal injury" is for Foles? Saw someone say it might be diarrhea?

(This post was last modified: 09-05-2019, 02:34 PM by knarnn.)

(09-05-2019, 02:29 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Can I get some clarification on what this "abdominal injury" is for Foles? Saw someone say it might be diarrhea?

https://twitter.com/jaguarmavensi/status...49600?s=21

https://twitter.com/demetrius82/status/1...79648?s=21

https://twitter.com/jaguarmavensi/status...16547?s=21
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

I expect Cann to be the starter this week at RG since Ogbuhei is likely out as the swing tackle.
If Ogbuhei is out then Richardson will be the swing tackle and no way they'll risk starting him at guard with a returning Cam Robinson.

Could be. He seemed to get away with just throwing it up from time to time last year. Hard to criticize a guy for something that works for him but in the NFL we've seen cases of new QBs coming out looking like the GOAT and then come back to earth the following season. The defenses punch back. I'm not saying Mahomes will be one of those guys but there's reason to believe that not everything that was working for him last season will work the same this season. Hopefully that starts on Sunday.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(09-05-2019, 03:37 PM)hb1148 Wrote:

Could be. He seemed to get away with just throwing it up from time to time last year. Hard to criticize a guy for something that works for him but in the NFL we've seen cases of new QBs coming out looking like the GOAT and then come back to earth the following season. The defenses punch back. I'm not saying Mahomes will be one of those guys but there's reason to believe that not everything that was working for him last season will work the same this season. Hopefully that starts on Sunday.

My sentiments exactly.

Hopefully we can get some hits on him.
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

(This post was last modified: 09-05-2019, 04:26 PM by knarnn.)

https://twitter.com/jaguarmavensi/status...48416?s=21

That’s how you beat Mahomes. Just be smart about it and make sure you have a spy on him at all times. Let Williams be the full time spy so it makes it easy on him his first game in.

https://twitter.com/genefrenette/status/...16128?s=21

Sounds like Harrison and/or Myles may be covering Kelce