Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***Jaguars Vs. Eagles Preseason Game Night Thread***

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2019, 11:01 PM by JaguarJosh05.)

Blind refs confirmed. You can have as much replay as you want but crap officials are crap.
No pain, no gain.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The pass interference replay is going to suuuuuuuuucccccccckkkkkkk! Lousy rule change.

Minshew looked way better. Run defense with backups sux. I thought Breon played well. Oline depth sux our run game is horrible with them.

Overall improvement over ravens game.

(08-15-2019, 10:45 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: I guess I'm a bit more optimistic than some of you folks.  Very few (if any) NFL teams have quality depth at numerous positions. I would say with the emergence of Richardson and Jawan Taylor, our OL has more talent (and depth) than the line of 2017. I think some of you are being way too hard on Minshew.  He's playing without starters, but what I've seen of him so far, I like. He's got a quick release and reads the field well, something we haven't seen around here. Someone compared him to Kessler because he wasn't able to score -- that's ridiculous.

Josh Allen is going to be a stud, and we're going to have probably our best DL in franchise history. The starting talent on this defense is incredible. Along with Allen, I think Harrison is going to be a stud. And I'm eager to see Quincy Williams get in some licks.

This is the first time that I can remember that we've gone two games into the preseason without playing any of our starters. Will that hurt us when the regular season starts? I don't know.

It's not ridiculous. It's true. Minshew will look good for 2 or 3 plays and then go on a complete dry spell and the drive "peters out." That's exactly what Kessler did. I judge QB's on how well they can consistently drive the ball downfield and score. So far, Minshew has not shown me he can do that. I don't care how good he looks for 2 or 3 plays, he needs to be consistent. He's playing against backups now, wait until "big boy" football starts. It's gonna get way harder. If he can't get the ball in the endzone in the preseason, then God help us if Foles gets injured.

(08-15-2019, 11:46 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-15-2019, 10:45 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: I guess I'm a bit more optimistic than some of you folks.  Very few (if any) NFL teams have quality depth at numerous positions. I would say with the emergence of Richardson and Jawan Taylor, our OL has more talent (and depth) than the line of 2017. I think some of you are being way too hard on Minshew.  He's playing without starters, but what I've seen of him so far, I like. He's got a quick release and reads the field well, something we haven't seen around here. Someone compared him to Kessler because he wasn't able to score -- that's ridiculous.

Josh Allen is going to be a stud, and we're going to have probably our best DL in franchise history. The starting talent on this defense is incredible. Along with Allen, I think Harrison is going to be a stud. And I'm eager to see Quincy Williams get in some licks.

This is the first time that I can remember that we've gone two games into the preseason without playing any of our starters. Will that hurt us when the regular season starts? I don't know.

It's not ridiculous. It's true. Minshew will look good for 2 or 3 plays and then go on a complete dry spell and the drive "peters out." That's exactly what Kessler did. I judge QB's on how well they can consistently drive the ball downfield and score. So far, Minshew has not shown me he can do that. I don't care how good he looks for 2 or 3 plays, he needs to be consistent. He's playing against backups now, wait until "big boy" football starts. It's gonna get way harder. If he can't get the ball in the endzone in the preseason, then God help us if Foles gets injured.

Minshew has played 6 quarters of any kind of NFL football. Cody Kessler was on his 2nd team, 3rd NFL season, and had already started 8 games before he ever played a game for the Jags. 

You can pick apart nearly every quarterback who ever played in their first 2 preseason rookie games, even greats such as Brady, Peyton, Rodgers, Brees, etc.

(08-15-2019, 10:38 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: 1. CB: Herndon and Meeks played well, which give us 5 CBs who will make the roster. I wasn't as impressed with Hayes as some here. Nelson had that interception and IIRC played well last week. Maybe we'll see how he does against better competition.

2. QB: Lee is no longer needed for a camp arm. He should be an easy cut if the team wants a roster slot. Minshew is probably a lock. Will the Jags keep 3 QBs? Doubtful.

3. DL: Bryan looked better than last week. Russell looked good when I watched him. Allen looks to be worth the pick. Smoot has come alive with the pressure on him.

4. LB: Still a problem. Most of those running holes were on the LBs.

5. OL: Nobody stood out on the OL. It should still be Wells and Shatley as two of the backups.

6. WR: Cole appears to have solidified his roster slot. McBride looked good for a 2nd week.

Hayes played a lot better than Herndon tonight

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2019, 12:25 AM by B2hibry.)

(08-15-2019, 02:39 PM)Adam2012 Wrote:
(08-15-2019, 11:30 AM)B2hibry Wrote: Be honest, you weren't going anyways. Never pass up a chance to [BLEEP]!

We know you can't go - it's a school night. I hope you're allowed to stay up and watch it on TV. Good thing for you Donald isn't holding a rally somewhere.

As I've had season tickets from Day One I know I've seen more Jags games than you - which includes useless, over-priced, bad weather, totally forgettable preseason farces. 

Does this mean you have to miss Martha MacCallum?
Oh good, another irrelevant, yet completely believable, fan measurement contest.

The backups played a little better tonight. With that said, the OL coaching appears non-existent. I’ve seen this clumsy OL mess in preseason before so I try not to be to concerned but good lord!
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

According to the Philadelphia media, most of their first team defense started the game.

I thought Minshew played very well, especially considering there were at least 2 long pinpoint passes that went right through receivers' hands.

I thought the Eagles' second string offensive and defensive lines had their way with our second string offensive and defensive lines.

(08-15-2019, 11:56 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(08-15-2019, 11:46 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: It's not ridiculous. It's true. Minshew will look good for 2 or 3 plays and then go on a complete dry spell and the drive "peters out." That's exactly what Kessler did. I judge QB's on how well they can consistently drive the ball downfield and score. So far, Minshew has not shown me he can do that. I don't care how good he looks for 2 or 3 plays, he needs to be consistent. He's playing against backups now, wait until "big boy" football starts. It's gonna get way harder. If he can't get the ball in the endzone in the preseason, then God help us if Foles gets injured.

Minshew has played 6 quarters of any kind of NFL football. Cody Kessler was on his 2nd team, 3rd NFL season, and had already started 8 games before he ever played a game for the Jags. 

You can pick apart nearly every quarterback who ever played in their first 2 preseason rookie games, even greats such as Brady, Peyton, Rodgers, Brees, etc.

You can, but there is a lot riding on the backup position for us. Foles has a history of missing games and we NEED a reliable backup. Minshew has yet to get this team into the endzone and whether you agree with everything I say, that has to be a concern. Trusting the backup role to a rookie 6th round pick with a weak arm is just NOT a smart move at all. If we want to keep him on the team as a developmental 3rd string QB or a practice squad player, that is fine, but the backup role has to go to a guy that will give you a chance to win and I'm not seeing anything close to that from Minshew yet.

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2019, 06:57 AM by RicoTx.)

(08-15-2019, 07:57 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote:
(08-15-2019, 07:43 PM)Rico Wrote: So quick...tell me.  Who was the penalty on?

Let's judge special teams by a bunch of scrubs who won't be on the roster in two weeks.

By the way, I merely showed you statistics that proved you were incorrect.

Oh no.. here comes the angry virgin. Time to shut it down ??‍♂️

So result to sexual insults when you have nothing better to say.  That's OK, it takes a certain amount of intelligence to understand conversations...which you obviously don't have.  You must be one of the people that my mother always told me not to pick on because they were slow.  I apologize.

(08-15-2019, 07:55 PM)rocdee Wrote:
(08-15-2019, 07:53 PM)Rico Wrote: Was that the special teams coach's fault too? Nice defense.

What does defense have to do with special teams, bro? Have you been drinking?

; )

So you mean to tell me a guy can make a boneheaded mistake regardless of coaching then?  Thanks.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2019, 07:11 AM by Hurricane.)

(08-16-2019, 06:45 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-15-2019, 11:56 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Minshew has played 6 quarters of any kind of NFL football. Cody Kessler was on his 2nd team, 3rd NFL season, and had already started 8 games before he ever played a game for the Jags. 

You can, but there is a lot riding on the backup position for us. Foles has a history of missing games and we NEED a reliable backup. Minshew has yet to get this team into the endzone and whether you agree with everything I say, that has to be a concern. Trusting the backup role to a rookie 6th round pick with a weak arm is just NOT a smart move at all. If we want to keep him on the team as a developmental 3rd string QB or a practice squad player, that is fine, but the backup role has to go to a guy that will give you a chance to win and I'm not seeing anything close to that from Minshew yet.

Are you saying McGough or Lee would be a better choice? Minshew is our option. The majority of the time he was in there, the pocket was collapsed instantly. Its pretty hard to judge someone when they have no time at all to progress his reads. Considering the pressure he was getting, i felt like he did a very good job. Receivers were dropping some pretty good passes also. There were quite a few starters on the Eagles defense when the game started. Let him get some more experience with the difference in speed in the nfl compared to college. I feel like he isn't much worse than Blake and hes just a few quarters in so far....
In Dougie I Trust!

Not a ton of highlights but damn Allen and that strength...

https://twitter.com/Jaguars/status/1162201073072799746
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(08-15-2019, 11:56 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Minshew has played 6 quarters of any kind of NFL football. Cody Kessler was on his 2nd team, 3rd NFL season, and had already started 8 games before he ever played a game for the Jags. 

Minshew can be a decent backup.  Foles BETTER play a full 16 game season.  I'm tired of hearing excuses about if he misses time.  We paid him to be better and play the same amount of games in a regular season than our previous QB.  These excuses are head scratching.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

Didn’t get to watch the game as I’m out of the country and my various streaming methods weren’t working here. Followed the play by play and watched some highlights this morning.

Happy to hear that Minshew looked improved from last week. That trend will need to continue for me to feel comfortable with him at #2 QB.

Sounds like Meeks is going to have to fight for that #4 corner spot.

Not seeing any worrisome injury reports yet, so hopefully we don’t learn of any today that resulted from the eagles visit to Jax.

Is anyone getting the feeling the #6 WR spot may be coming down to McBride and Brady?

(08-15-2019, 11:56 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Minshew has played 6 quarters of any kind of NFL football. Cody Kessler was on his 2nd team, 3rd NFL season, and had already started 8 games before he ever played a game for the Jags. 

No quarterback will look good playing behind a joke for an offensive line that he has had to contend with. Especially when your tackles maybe the worst players on the line.

(08-16-2019, 09:17 AM)dennisp3 Wrote:
(08-16-2019, 06:45 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: You can, but there is a lot riding on the backup position for us. Foles has a history of missing games and we NEED a reliable backup. Minshew has yet to get this team into the endzone and whether you agree with everything I say, that has to be a concern. Trusting the backup role to a rookie 6th round pick with a weak arm is just NOT a smart move at all. If we want to keep him on the team as a developmental 3rd string QB or a practice squad player, that is fine, but the backup role has to go to a guy that will give you a chance to win and I'm not seeing anything close to that from Minshew yet.
No quarterback will look good playing behind a joke for an offensive line that he has had to contend with. Especially when your tackles maybe the worst players on the line.

I thought he looked decent last night.  I'd still like to see what he looks like with the first team OL.  Maybe next week?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2019, 09:56 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(08-16-2019, 07:10 AM)Hurricane Wrote:
(08-16-2019, 06:45 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: You can, but there is a lot riding on the backup position for us. Foles has a history of missing games and we NEED a reliable backup. Minshew has yet to get this team into the endzone and whether you agree with everything I say, that has to be a concern. Trusting the backup role to a rookie 6th round pick with a weak arm is just NOT a smart move at all. If we want to keep him on the team as a developmental 3rd string QB or a practice squad player, that is fine, but the backup role has to go to a guy that will give you a chance to win and I'm not seeing anything close to that from Minshew yet.

Are you saying McGough or Lee would be a better choice? Minshew is our option. The majority of the time he was in there, the pocket was collapsed instantly. Its pretty hard to judge someone when they have no time at all to progress his reads. Considering the pressure he was getting, i felt like he did a very good job. Receivers were dropping some pretty good passes also. There were quite a few starters on the Eagles defense when the game started. Let him get some more experience with the difference in speed in the nfl compared to college. I feel like he isn't much worse than Blake and hes just a few quarters in so far....

Of course not! Lee couldn't even get a job in arena football. I'm saying we better look at making a trade or perhaps picking up a decent veteran QB off the waiver wire once guys start getting cut, because at this point, if Foles gets injured, we won't win a single game with the backup QB's we have. While I agree our backup Tackles are without a doubt, the worst in the NFL, Minshew is also playing against 2nd and 3rd string defenses the majority of the game. Maybe not at first, but when the backups came in, he still couldn't get a TD. You have to take that into account. Also, even though we got Robinson back, he was never elite. He was/is an average LT, which is much better than what we've had in the past and I'm fine with that. We also have no idea how good/bad Taylor will be as a rookie. Those two guys are going to be matching up against some very elite DE's and they won't always win the battle, so even if Minshew was behind our starting O-Line, the result probably wouldn't be much better. We need someone who is used to that kind of situation and pressure for at least the 2019 season, to backup Foles. Hopefully, Foles stays 100% healthy all season and we never see a backup QB, but given all the injury issues we had with this team last season, we must be prepared and I am a HUGE believer in having a decent backup QB, who can at least give you a chance to win games.

(08-16-2019, 08:06 AM)B2hibry Wrote: Not a ton of highlights but damn Allen and that strength...

I believe Allen is gonna be special. I really wanted Hockenson to upgrade the TE position, but once I saw Allen was still on the board, it was a "no-brainer." He was my top player in the draft. If we can get Ngakoue signed, I'll feel a lot better about releasing Campbell after the season.

(08-16-2019, 08:39 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:

Minshew can be a decent backup.  Foles BETTER play a full 16 game season.  I'm tired of hearing excuses about if he misses time.  We paid him to be better and play the same amount of games in a regular season than our previous QB.  These excuses are head scratching.

You can't just simply wish that into existence. Look at the toll injuries took on us last season. Minshew might turn into a decent backup someday, but it'll take time and he's not even close to that now. Relying on him to be the primary backup in his rookie year is complete nonsense and it's reckless. It's not like we have the luxury of taking a QB, if we get a top 5 pick in 2020, because Foles gets injured. We'll probably go DT to replace Dareus, as he and Campbell are all but goners after the season and I still think we'll take a TE very high in 2020 as well. We need a reliable backup QB who can at least give us a chance to win.

I didn't hear much about the game but saw that BCC just posted this. Watch the left DT position...apparently that's Taven Bryan.

https://twitter.com/JoshNorris/status/11...3627101184

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2019, 10:06 AM by Caldrac.)

(08-16-2019, 09:52 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-16-2019, 07:10 AM)Hurricane Wrote: Are you saying McGough or Lee would be a better choice? Minshew is our option. The majority of the time he was in there, the pocket was collapsed instantly. Its pretty hard to judge someone when they have no time at all to progress his reads. Considering the pressure he was getting, i felt like he did a very good job. Receivers were dropping some pretty good passes also. There were quite a few starters on the Eagles defense when the game started. Let him get some more experience with the difference in speed in the nfl compared to college. I feel like he isn't much worse than Blake and hes just a few quarters in so far....

Of course not! Lee couldn't even get a job in arena football. I'm saying we better look at making a trade or perhaps picking up a decent veteran QB off the waiver wire once guys start getting cut, because at this point, if Foles gets injured, we won't win a single game with the backup QB's we have. While I agree our backup Tackles are without a doubt, the worst in the NFL, Minshew is also playing against 2nd and 3rd string defenses the majority of the game. Maybe not at first, but when the backups came in, he still couldn't get a TD. You have to take that into account. Also, even though we got Robinson back, he was never elite. He was/is an average LT, which is much better than what we've had in the past and I'm fine with that. We also have no idea how good/bad Taylor will be as a rookie. Those two guys are going to be matching up against some very elite DE's and they won't always win the battle, so even if Minshew was behind our starting O-Line, the result probably wouldn't be much better. We need someone who is used to that kind of situation and pressure for at least the 2019 season, to backup Foles. Hopefully, Foles stays 100% healthy all season and we never see a backup QB, but given all the injury issues we had with this team last season, we must be prepared and I am a HUGE believer in having a decent backup QB, who can at least give you a chance to win games.

(08-16-2019, 08:06 AM)B2hibry Wrote: Not a ton of highlights but damn Allen and that strength...

I believe Allen is gonna be special. I really wanted Hockenson to upgrade the TE position, but once I saw Allen was still on the board, it was a "no-brainer." He was my top player in the draft. If we can get Ngakoue signed, I'll feel a lot better about releasing Campbell after the season.

Glad someone caught that. I saw it yesterday. Was awesome. Surprised Sexton nor Searcy caught it in real time. He's got a lot of natural ability. I think he's going to be a handful for most teams this year once he finally starts working with the first team defense. I hope they can find some decent back-up's out of this offensive line group though. Richardson and Cann should probably both make the final roster. Richardson at least has the ability to play two different spots. 

O'Shaughnessy flashed a bit early too with Minshew. Was surprised when Sexton and Searcy said that he was fighting for a roster spot though. They signed him up to a 2 year deal this off season. And he's already played in a few games here. I really think once Foles gets out there that he'll be able to showcase more of his abilities in the receiving game. They at least looked a bit more competent last night. 

Just itching to see these damn starters out there already. I think we'll start off September on a pretty rough foot. We'll be fortunate to win maybe 2 games. But I think once October rolls around they'll start to gel more. Just need to be patient I guess.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(08-16-2019, 10:03 AM)Brett Wrote: I didn't hear much about the game but saw that BCC just posted this. Watch the left DT position...apparently that's Taven Bryan.

https://twitter.com/JoshNorris/status/11...3627101184

I predict the Taven Bryan experiment will end after the 2019 season. I think he'll get cut. I also predict we will use our first round selection in the 2020 draft to take a DT, who will replace Dareus.