Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***Jaguars Vs. Eagles Preseason Game Night Thread***

(08-16-2019, 10:03 AM)Brett Wrote: I didn't hear much about the game but saw that BCC just posted this. Watch the left DT position...apparently that's Taven Bryan.

https://twitter.com/JoshNorris/status/11...3627101184

Taven Bryan had his [BLEEP] handed to him on that one. But he did flash a bit later on with a TFL last night. Trying to remain optimistic and patient with that kid. But so far all of that excitement about him posting J.J Watt like numbers at the combine (despite showing very little on the stat sheet for the Gators) is beginning to make him look like another "Looks like Tarzan. Plays like Jane" type of prospect. 

We probably should have went TE, RB or OG at that spot in the draft. It is what it is. He'll still have the rest of this year to get it done. I do like what I have seen out of Jones though from Green Bay. He was making a lot of noise last night. Smoot showed up here and there too. I think we'll actually have a pretty damn good rotation at DE this year. So that's good to see.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-16-2019, 09:06 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Didn’t get to watch the game as I’m out of the country and my various streaming methods weren’t working here. Followed the play by play and watched some highlights this morning.

Happy to hear that Minshew looked improved from last week. That trend will need to continue for me to feel comfortable with him at #2 QB.

Sounds like Meeks is going to have to fight for that #4 corner spot.

Not seeing any worrisome injury reports yet, so hopefully we don’t learn of any today that resulted from the eagles visit to Jax.

Is anyone getting the feeling the #6 WR spot may be coming down to McBride and Brady?
In my opinion, if the Jags keep six receivers, the battle for that spot is wide open. I haven't seen anyone separate from the pack. Heck, one of the better catches of the night was Chark coming off the bench for a play and then having a seat the rest of the night. I think we may learn more in the third game.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(08-16-2019, 10:11 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(08-16-2019, 10:03 AM)Brett Wrote: I didn't hear much about the game but saw that BCC just posted this. Watch the left DT position...apparently that's Taven Bryan.

Taven Bryan had his [BLEEP] handed to him on that one. But he did flash a bit later on with a TFL last night. Trying to remain optimistic and patient with that kid. But so far all of that excitement about him posting J.J Watt like numbers at the combine (despite showing very little on the stat sheet for the Gators) is beginning to make him look like another "Looks like Tarzan. Plays like Jane" type of prospect. 

We probably should have went TE, RB or OG at that spot in the draft. It is what it is. He'll still have the rest of this year to get it done. I do like what I have seen out of Jones though from Green Bay. He was making a lot of noise last night. Smoot showed up here and there too. I think we'll actually have a pretty damn good rotation at DE this year. So that's good to see.

On that particular play, no one's pointing out that the DE had a chance at a tfl had he not gone brain dead and tackled the blocker...
Making up

Evidence

Depending on

Information

Available

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2019, 10:27 AM by Caldrac.)

(08-16-2019, 10:20 AM)MightyRx Wrote:
(08-16-2019, 10:11 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Taven Bryan had his [BLEEP] handed to him on that one. But he did flash a bit later on with a TFL last night. Trying to remain optimistic and patient with that kid. But so far all of that excitement about him posting J.J Watt like numbers at the combine (despite showing very little on the stat sheet for the Gators) is beginning to make him look like another "Looks like Tarzan. Plays like Jane" type of prospect. 

On that particular play, no one's pointing out that the DE had a chance at a tfl had he not gone brain dead and tackled the blocker...

The Left End? I don't think he tackled the blocker on that play. It looks more like a FB or TE took his legs out from underneath him. At any rate. You don't want to see your 6'6, 290+ pound 1st RD pick from a year ago at DT getting bulldozed into the shadow realm neither. If he holds his point of attack that gap doesn't open up. 

A lot of people [BLEEP] up on that play though. The linebackers in particular.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Got to be better plays to bash Bryan with from that game. 
He’s clearly blocked by the RT and RG here initially before the RT moved on to a backer.

I'm hoping that next week Marrone will keep the starters in after Foles leaves--let's see what Minshew does with the starters.

(08-16-2019, 10:11 AM)Caldrac Wrote:

Yes Taven got handled on that double teamed blocking scheme. As a matter of Fack, he got schilacked. I don't feel that he's starter material but he's an serviceable backup. Our 2019 6th. round draft pick is more stout.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(08-16-2019, 10:43 AM)NH3 Wrote:
(08-16-2019, 10:11 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Taven Bryan had his [BLEEP] handed to him on that one. But he did flash a bit later on with a TFL last night. Trying to remain optimistic and patient with that kid. But so far all of that excitement about him posting J.J Watt like numbers at the combine (despite showing very little on the stat sheet for the Gators) is beginning to make him look like another "Looks like Tarzan. Plays like Jane" type of prospect. 

Yes Taven got handled on that double teamed blocking scheme. As a matter of [BLEEP], he got schilacked. I don't feel that he's starter material but he's an serviceable backup. Our 2019 6th. round draft pick is more stout.

NH3...

Taven got combo blocked (and for some reason he's playing more inside rather than a 3-technique) He needs to develop a little better hand punch but that said there's not too much an undertackle can really do against that combo block; we wouldn't even be talking about it if the DE had made the play (because of the combo block on Taven, the DE went unblocked and somehow tackled a blocker instead of the RB)

We knew coming out in the draft that Taven was RAW, this was going to be a multi year process for him to develop. I think he'll develop into starter caliber (not necessarily probowl level though) as of next year, we have to remember it's only his 2nd year and they tried to make him a DE for most of last year which definitely stunted his development)
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2019, 11:40 AM by Caldrac.)

I don't fault Taven Bryan. He's very raw as most of us on here already know. It was really a luxury pick that this front office thought they had at the time coming off of that AFC Championship loss. He really wasn't a need pick. It's still too early to call this kid a bust though.

Taven Bryan can only ever be a 3-tech. He's not big enough, strong enough or physical enough to play the 1

So far it looks like Taven well was well over drafted.

(08-16-2019, 11:42 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Taven Bryan can only ever be a 3-tech. He's not big enough, strong enough or physical enough to play the 1

You can always develop strength and therefore become more physical as an athlete. I do agree though that he seems to lack the natural size and anchor ability to hold it down as a 1-tech. But if he ends up developing into a solid 3-tech? Great.

If I live to be 200, I'll never understand why we drafted Bryan. I had him rated as a 4th rounder, his college stats were nothing to get overly excited about and at the time, DT was not a need, which was proven by his limited playing time. I just don't get it.

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2019, 01:01 PM by Caldrac.)

(08-16-2019, 11:52 AM)uthill Wrote: So far it looks like Taven well was well over drafted.

Where do you get that idea from? He was actually selected right about where most of the highly recognized mockdraft analysts or websites had him to go. Walterfootball had him ranked 3rd overall at DT. As did Scott Wright on NFL Draftcountdown. He was slotted to be a late RD1 or early to mid RD2 pick. None of the analysts and talking heads were surprised when his name came up there that night. We were. Because we all expected them to lean towards offense which is what they probably should  have done given the success of Hernandez at G and Michel at RB last year as rookies. 

But hindsight is 20/20 and those guys get paid to make those decisions for a living. Not us. 

Fans on here act like we drafted him with the 10th overall pick when Jason Pierre-Paul was on the board and we favored Tyson Alualu there instead. While I'll agree that most of us (including myself) are hesitant regarding ANY Gator players being drafted by this team. He wasn't a reach. This isn't Derrick Harvey we're talking about here. 

This was a decision based on his potential growth and the fact that they felt they were going to be a play-off team again in 2018. Which would have granted them a year or two to bring him along slowly behind Campbell, Jackson and Dareus. Since they didn't hit a home run early with him he'll still have another year or two to get it together before we see Dareus' or Campbell's departure.

(08-16-2019, 12:43 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(08-16-2019, 11:42 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Taven Bryan can only ever be a 3-tech. He's not big enough, strong enough or physical enough to play the 1

You can always develop strength and therefore become more physical as an athlete. I do agree though that he seems to lack the natural size and anchor ability to hold it down as a 1-tech. But if he ends up developing into a solid 3-tech? Great.

Strength and athleticism are supposed to be Bryan's strengths though, so it is a bit concerning that he's getting pushed around at times.  Maybe he should take ballet to improve his balance.

He isn't Dareus. He isn't going to hold up a double team by himself. Of course don't want to see him completely trucked either. On that play it looked like everyone on the Dline popped straight up for some reason. Maybe they were trying to hold the line and not rush the passer but nobody got low. When the Eagles lineman came straight down field run blocking all the way, they had all the leverage. Almost everyone got bulldozed except the guy on the end coming free who couldnt avoid the WR cutting low.

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2019, 01:39 PM by Caldrac.)

(08-16-2019, 01:05 PM)scottyg Wrote:
(08-16-2019, 12:43 PM)Caldrac Wrote: You can always develop strength and therefore become more physical as an athlete. I do agree though that he seems to lack the natural size and anchor ability to hold it down as a 1-tech. But if he ends up developing into a solid 3-tech? Great.

Strength and athleticism are supposed to be Bryan's strengths though, so it is a bit concerning that he's getting pushed around at times.  Maybe he should take ballet to improve his balance.

There's a lot of contributing factors. A lot of it circles back to him being extremely raw and limited since his college days. You can be the biggest, you can be the fastest or the strongest. It all means nothing if you don't have the techniques and intelligence to make it all work. 

And all of that will only come as he practices, plays and hopefully stays healthy enough for it all to "click". He could end up being a late bloomer. Just depends on how he continues to approach the game and develops week in and week out. I'll remain optimistic about him for now. It's year two. Not sure how long his contract is with us but he could very well start to "click" in 2020 instead of this year in 2019.

(08-16-2019, 01:24 PM)rfc17 Wrote: He isn't Dareus.  He isn't going to hold up a double team by himself.  Of course don't want to see him completely trucked either.  On that play it looked like everyone on the Dline popped straight up for some reason.  Maybe they were trying to hold the line and not rush the passer but nobody got low.  When the Eagles lineman came straight down field run blocking all the way, they had all the leverage.  Almost everyone got bulldozed except the guy on the end coming free who couldnt avoid the WR cutting low.

It was a very poor play overall for the defense. It does start in the trenches. They all got pretty much hammered on that one. The LE took a low block below the knees though and whomever was supposed to be staying put at LOLB completely flowed to the right and allowed that backdoor to swing wide open for the RB to rush through. 

That's just poor execution and lack of experience showing during week two of the preseason. Bryan has the ability to bulldoze back on his opponent in front of him. I think he'll be a bit better down the stretch in 2019. I just wouldn't expect a whole lot of sacks or QB hurries from him this year. He's still got a lot of work to do with his technique and anticipation off the block.

(08-16-2019, 06:56 AM)Rico Wrote:
(08-15-2019, 07:57 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Oh no.. here comes the angry virgin. Time to shut it down ??‍♂️

So result to sexual insults when you have nothing better to say.  That's OK, it takes a certain amount of intelligence to understand conversations...which you obviously don't have.  You must be one of the people that my mother always told me not to pick on because they were slow.  I apologize.

(08-15-2019, 07:55 PM)rocdee Wrote: What does defense have to do with special teams, bro? Have you been drinking?

; )

So you mean to tell me a guy can make a boneheaded mistake regardless of coaching then?  Thanks.

You are beta personified, go post 30,000 more times ?? I’m going back to work

So tired seeing complaints about Taven Bryan. Just trade taven bryan to the Patriots so he can become good so we can say #becausejaguars

I was just watching a re-run of last nights game on NFL Network and man, when we played Brandon Thomas at RG, next to Wester, that entire right side of the O-Line collapsed immediately. I know we are very thin at OT, but what good is it doing by keeping Wester, when he is so unbelievably bad? At this point, a tackling dummy would be more effective.