Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***Jaguars Vs. Eagles Preseason Game Night Thread***

(08-15-2019, 08:09 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: I know its preseason, but do you guys read anything into the WRs. Cole and Chark playing, Pryor isn't. Conley and Westbrook are having good camps, Lee will be back at some point.

I think Cole and Chark will cover ST so I think we may only keep 5 with Lee scheduled to return with maybe a 6th until then.

Westbrook
Conley
Cole
Chark
Lee

Maybe Pryor as that guy but then I don't get why hes not playing. McBride is hustling out there.

I don't know why Pryor isn't playing.

Maybe Pryor is a starter?

Because we haven't seen Westbrook at all in either preseason game,  we haven't seen Conley at all in either preseason game, and we haven't seen Pryor at a in either preseason game.

That group of 3 WRs looks like a more likely group of starters (the 3 WRs who haven't played = starters) than, let's say, the group that's either playing in preseason games or hurt (Cole, Chark, Lee).

The Jaguars have a new OC, Flip,  and Flip has coached Foles in Philly,  and Pryor in Oakland and Cleveland.   So you'd have to assume that Flip has more familiarity with Pryor than he does with the rest of the Jaguars WRs. 

It just seems to me that since the starters aren't playing, Foles = starter = not playing,  Fournette = starter = not playing, Westbrook = starter = not playing,  we can assume that the others, who might or might not be starters, who aren't playing, are starters.  And that would be Conley and Pryor.  Not necessarily,  but it makes sense.

Cole and Chark are definitely not tearing it up at the WR position in the last 2 preseason games.

2 catches,  9 targets, 7 yards.  That's less than 1 yard per target. 

I'm also not quite sure why people think that 1) the Jaguars are going to run a lot.  New OC Flip does not seem to run a lot, and last year, the Jaguars passed more than they ran.  The Jaguars are not the Ravens with Lamar. and 2) the Jaguars are only going to keep 5 WRs.  In today's NFL, unless there is a team that uses multiple running backs on the field at once, teams generally keep at least 6 WRs, and sometimes 7.  

OC Flip has been the OC twice before.  In 2015 with the Browns,  in 2018 with the Vikings.  You can look at other years, and try to guess from there, but its a pretty reasonable argument that Flip has a bigger influence on the direction of the offense when he's the OC than when he's a QB coach.

2015 Browns,  the offense was 11th in Passing Attempts, and 27th in Rushing Attempts.
2018 Vikings, the offense was 6th in Passing Attempts, and 27th (again) in Rushing Attempts.

I would really have to say that if you look closely at what the New Offensive Coordinator John DeFilippo actually does,  it's pass a lot and run infrequently.  And if you're averaging, as OC, top 10 passing attempts, and bottom 5 rushing attempts,  you're more likely to keep more WRs and fewer RBs.

Much like the WRs who have been playing in the preseason games,  the RBs who have been playing in the preseason games have not been all that impressive.
Total, games 1 and 2,  Armstead, Rawls, Blue, Mays
37 carries, 85 yards  - 2.29 yards per carry

Messages In This Thread
RE: ***Jaguars Vs. Eagles Preseason Game Night Thread*** - by John Reglarperson - 08-16-2019, 06:51 PM