Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Nice article about Smoot

Here:
https://www.lockedonjaguars.com/jaguars/...le-season/

Very interesting to read about what happened last year, his diet changes, workouts and all that. 
Explains also how he went from 264 lbs to the 286 he's at now (which allowed him to play inside as well, Wash said that they trained him both at DE and DT since this season). 

I really hope he puts it all together and proves to be reliable and solid in our D-line rotation.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

There goes that six-pack challenge he was dedicated to in the off-season. In any case, I completely agree he needs that bulk to up his game. It has seemed to help a bit so far.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(08-26-2019, 10:55 AM)B2hibry Wrote: There goes that six-pack challenge he was dedicated to in the off-season. In any case, I completely agree he needs that bulk to up his game. It has seemed to help a bit so far.

His workout routine emphasizes agility and leverage. Coupled with his bigger size, this should be his breakout year.

I never put too much stock in players social media stuff, but Smoot’s offseason posting seemed to indicate a ramped up level of dedication.

Also nice to see yet another in a long line of stories wherein Campbell is mentoring young talent.
So amazing to see a big FA signing paying off on and off the field so well.

(08-26-2019, 11:09 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I never put too much stock in players social media stuff, but Smoot’s offseason posting seemed to indicate a ramped up level of dedication.

Also nice to see yet another in a long line of stories wherein Campbell is mentoring young talent.
So amazing to see a big FA signing paying off on and off the forks so well.

I would like to see him retire here in Jacksonville. He's truly been a tremendous pick-up for this city and franchise.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(08-26-2019, 11:13 AM)Caldrac Wrote: I would like to see him retire here in Jacksonville. He's truly been a tremendous pick-up for this city and franchise.

He could pull a Luck and retire at halftime of the next preseason game.

(08-26-2019, 11:28 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(08-26-2019, 11:13 AM)Caldrac Wrote: I would like to see him retire here in Jacksonville. He's truly been a tremendous pick-up for this city and franchise.

He could pull a Luck and retire at halftime of the next preseason game.

I don't think a man like Campbell would ever pull a stunt like that though. I understand Luck's reasons for what he did. But the timing was horrible. Just because he has personal faith in Jacoby as his replacement does not mean the rest of that team feels the same way. Injuries are terrible. But the timing? Just horrible. 

They could have been in the running for Nick Foles this off season, and given Frank Reich's history with Foles in 2016 - 2017 as the OC with the Eagles they very well could have pulled something off to land him during the free agency period. Luck helped us out twice this off season.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Smoot looks bigger this year. I think Smoot and Jones are competing for 1 spot. It will be interesting to see who makes the DL on the 53.

It’s amazing what happens when we give players a chance to develop....
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(08-26-2019, 10:36 AM)irontrooper83 Wrote: Here:
https://www.lockedonjaguars.com/jaguars/...le-season/

Very interesting to read about what happened last year, his diet changes, workouts and all that. 
Explains also how he went from 264 lbs to the 286 he's at now (which allowed him to play inside as well, Wash said that they trained him both at DE and DT since this season). 

I really hope he puts it all together and proves to be reliable and solid in our D-line rotation.

I knew he looked much larger than what he is listed at on the team's site, (264.) That added weight has done wonders for his playing. He's starting to look like what the brass thought they were getting in Bryan. Personally, I would I.R. Bryan and put Smoot in the starting lineup at 3 technique on 4-3 schemes and 5 technique on 3-4 schemes

(08-26-2019, 11:57 AM)ATLjag Wrote: Smoot looks bigger this year.  I think Smoot and Jones are competing for 1 spot.  It will be interesting to see who makes the DL on the 53.

I don't see why they can't keep em both..

Ngakoue, Campbell, Allen, Dareus, Abry Jones, Bryan, Datone Jones, Smoot, Russell and McCray (if they keep 10, otherwise McCray is the odd man out if they only keep 9)

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2019, 08:18 PM by Brett.)

Even though we all know it, I don't think we truly realize how big of an impact of Calais Campbell has on these guys. He is so underrated in terms of being a mentor, I love it.

(08-26-2019, 08:17 PM)Brett Wrote: Even though we all know it, I don't think we truly realize how big of an impact of Calais Campbell has on these guys. He is so underrated in terms of being a mentor, I love it.

I know there are salary cap implications.  But FO needs to find a way to make Calais a Jag for life.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(08-26-2019, 12:34 PM)knarnn Wrote: It’s amazing what happens when we give players a chance to develop....

Yep.  It's the upside of "Why is this guy still here? Jeez!!"

The GMs, scouts, and coaches really walk a fine line when it comes to giving some guys opportunities and cutting bait on others.