Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions From the Chiefs game

(This post was last modified: 09-09-2019, 07:26 AM by irontrooper83.)

I agree with pretty much everything Bullseye.

-Defense approach for me was disheartening. Todd Wash has to go. I was expecting to lose as KC has an amazing offense and they start really well every year (destroyed Patriots and Chargers in the last 2 seasons for exemple). 
But defense simply didn't show up. 
We were playing with so much off-coverage that it looked almost as if we were defending 3rd and 20 even on 2nd and 5. Yet, with the way our players struggle with zone and the free release KC receivers had they were able to go wherever they wanted with our players not even reacting.

It's not that we don't have talent. But our scheme and weakness have been figured out. 
We talked all training camp about the different looks we can give and yet we get on the field, we let the 4 on the d-line just line up in the most basic wayand go after the QB with zero tight coverage behind them, it was painful to watch.

To make it worse, another difference between this 2018-2019 and the vaunted 2017 defense is that back then players were hungry, they were out there to prove something.
Now they are out there running their mouths and showing off as soon as they can (see Ngakoue flexing after a tackle after they have been exposed for 2 hours).
Players displayed an ineptness at tackling that reminds me only of some of our games against the Titans. They were so bad at it that sometimes they barely touched the ball carrier right in front of them. 

-It was good to see the receivers on offense. They all played well. Offensive line did well considering the circumstances, even Will Richardson played a good game in his debut out of position.
Kansas City defense still isn't the greatest test but both QB's threw a nice ball and Minshew did a great job in his first start. 
Fournette ran well (the fumble should have been a penalty, I didn't see the int but apparently it was partially on him). I have no idea why he wasn't spared at times though with that heat and the way we could run the ball at times. 

-Officiating: i agree on that one too. We would have lost anyway but it's just unbearable how unbalanced it often is. The hit on Foles didn't even get a flag (Calais got penalized and an INT negated on that play when he tried to slide on the side of Rothliesberg last year, this guy drives Foles into the ground with no intention of moving away at all and gets away with it). 
Holding happens on every play right? Yet it seems that only our line gets called for it at the worst possible times. 
Just replay any action and you can see the same thing is happening to the KC Oline yet flags stay in the pocket. 
Kelce throws around a DB which barely reaches back to him and it's defensive holding. 
The Fournette fumble, if the penalty gets called takes us inside their 20 yards and maybe we get a shot to be within 3 points. We would still lose as our defense didn't have a clue yesterday but that's not the point. 

Jack ejection: it's absolutely his fault and can't be excused. But why on Earth Ramsey was ejected against AJ Green when (back then) he only gave him a push to the ground and AJ Green reacted punching him repeatedly with Ramsey not reacting? Officials explained that he was the one initiating and instigating the reaction.
Yet, yesterday, Watkins instigated Jack by pushing him from behind (worse than what Ramsey did with Green), Myles made the mistake but he was the only one ejected.  Again, when it comes to Jaguars it's often a different ruling.

To me the worst part of the loss though are both the penalties/immaturity. 
And above all what was disheartening was seeing Wash being outschemed once again and taking like forever to try and adjust something. We didn't even try putting up a fight, we just went there and let us slaughter us.
This is what worries the most. The next 2 weeks we play to save our season. We go into these 2 games with Wash at the helm on defense and we know how much we struggled against mobile QBs. 
I want to see a reaction, but I'm terrified they'll kill us with their mobility once again and that Wash won't have figured how to defend that yet.  

There have been positives yesterday, quite a few of them on offense. But the way our defense is being utilized and plays has killed any momentum going into the season for me. Either we see an immediate change or the season will be basically over in just 12 days.

Messages In This Thread
Impressions From the Chiefs game - by Bullseye - 09-08-2019, 07:01 PM
RE: Impressions From the Chiefs game - by nate - 09-08-2019, 07:28 PM
RE: Impressions From the Chiefs game - by WYBaugh - 09-08-2019, 08:38 PM
RE: Impressions From the Chiefs game - by nate - 09-08-2019, 08:05 PM
RE: Impressions From the Chiefs game - by Nikowho - 09-08-2019, 08:24 PM
RE: Impressions From the Chiefs game - by irontrooper83 - 09-09-2019, 06:42 AM
RE: Impressions From the Chiefs game - by PF* - 09-09-2019, 08:20 AM
RE: Impressions From the Chiefs game - by Preach - 09-09-2019, 11:16 AM
RE: Impressions From the Chiefs game - by Upper - 09-09-2019, 11:19 AM
RE: Impressions From the Chiefs game - by Upper - 09-09-2019, 01:45 PM
RE: Impressions From the Chiefs game - by Upper - 09-09-2019, 02:34 PM