Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions From The Texans Game

(09-15-2019, 06:54 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(09-15-2019, 05:54 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: According to Marrone we had numerous plays ready but we let how the Texans D lined up pick it.

Oesher and Sexton banging the Marrone drum and victory in defeat same old.

Oh for heavens sake that is a cop-out excuse. The team that has the ball should dictate the tempo of the game. 

In our case it doesn't matter though because the NFL and the refs hate us.

Completely agree. If your going to make as bold a statement as going for 2, you own it. 

One other thing I dont get, we arent the Chiefs, we dont have Mahomes. O line has been struggling all day, we didn't go down the field in 3 plays. Why put it all on one play.

D is our strength, bring it on. It's like Marrone didn't have faith in the D not letting them into fg range.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-15-2019, 07:05 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(09-15-2019, 06:54 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Oh for heavens sake that is a cop-out excuse. The team that has the ball should dictate the tempo of the game. 

In our case it doesn't matter though because the NFL and the refs hate us.

Completely agree. If your going to make as bold a statement as going for 2, you own it. 

One other thing I dont get, we arent the Chiefs, we dont have Mahomes. O line has been struggling all day, we didn't go down the field in 3 plays. Why put it all on one play.

D is our strength, bring it on. It's like Marrone didn't have faith in the D not letting them into fg range.

He probably hates us as much as the refs and the league. Seriously his lack of....concern for how the team is playing and the lack of discipline from players is a slap in the face and reminds me of Bradley's attitude. 

And his gum smacking drives me nuts.

My biggest impression was Minshew's two minute drive for what should have been a game tying score. When's the last time this team has seen that? 2015 Bortles vs Buffalo?

Too bad the coach is a reckless moron.

Love going for 2 but my god.... Fournette out of Shotgun?!

Play action roll out and Conley has the 2pt conversion for the win. But if you’re going to go with Fournette, don’t run him out of shotgun. He’s terrible!

Not throwing the red flag was a huge mistake that will cost him his job IMO. That one was glaring as how heated it got. Fournette not extending at the end was the killer but being in there so much...this on the coaches.

The team played hard and competed. That is a step in the right direction.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

(09-15-2019, 07:00 PM)Upper Wrote: This is as fireable of an offense as anything else Marrone has done...which is a lot...

https://twitter.com/MikeClayNFL/status/1...3910501376
I didn't think another RB saw the field. Why are they not spelling him, specially with him not running the ball well. Basically the same thing happened last week.
(09-15-2019, 07:34 PM)uthill Wrote: Not throwing the red flag was a huge mistake that will cost him his job IMO. That one was glaring as how heated it got. Fournette not extending at the end was the killer but being in there so much...this on the coaches.
I really hope Jalen and the rest of the leaders go to TC and say something has to change. Marrone has no respect from any of the players and they know he is stupid.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Maybe that run up the middle works in practice? Because the Jags defense is terrible up the middle.

Titans gameplan will be 100% LF dives to the middle that Henry will turn into 10+ yards.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

(09-15-2019, 07:32 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Love going for 2 but my god.... Fournette out of Shotgun?!

Play action roll out and Conley has the 2pt conversion for the win. But if you’re going to go with Fournette, don’t run him out of shotgun. He’s terrible!

I know right? I was shocked they ran it... but from SHOTGUN!?!?!? Just boneheaded all the way.

I thought for sure they would stick with the hot hand and let Minshew work some magic. This is dumb as seattle passiing it against the pats on the 1 yard line with beast mode back there.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(09-15-2019, 06:35 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(09-15-2019, 06:31 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Somehow I knew that run up the middle was coming on the 2-point conversion.

I think running inside there was bad for several reasons.

1.  Minshew had the hot hand.
2.  Conversely, Fournette and the OL did NOT have the hot hand.
3.  Running inside had not worked all game long, and it played into the strength of the Texans' defense-the front 7.

They said he was given the sack on TV...FWIW.

Fans and observers undoubtedly will criticize both the decision to go for two, and to run Fournette. Marrone said the decision to go for two was made well in advance of Chark’s touchdown. As for the run to Fournette, the Jaguars had multiple plays called. The Texans’ defensive formation for the play determined the run.

Watch it back, Conley has half the endzone open.

I made a commemt before minshews drive in the gameday thread that we should go for two if we were able to drive for a TD. We were getting ticky tack calls against us all game, ggoing for 2 was our best shot to win. However, giving the ball to fournette was stupid. The guy has no vision, and just isnt that good. The ball should have been in minshews hands.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Allen tagged Watson when he covered the ball behind the line of scrimmage on a fumble. If Allen had not touched him, Watson could have advanced the ball. I don't see how that isn't a sack.

1. All this assumes Lambo kicks the point. I know, high percentage and all that but [BLEEP] happens.

2. Yeah, Minshew's sister is a doll.

3. Quincy Williams looked terrific. That one play where he shot across the gap and nailed the ball carrier got a "wow" out if me. Props to Caldwell so far on this guy.

4. Enjoy Ramsey for the time he has left, he's outta here IMO, Marroni Baloney or not.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

I was yelling we should go for two before we even scored the TD so i was glad with the decision. But didnt like the run up the middle. We couldnt run all game long. Maybe we had been so bad at it all game long our coaches thought we'd keep them off guard by trying it? Minshew is a lot shiftier of a runner than I thought. I would have rather we get him on the move for a run pass option.

Offense was pretty rough early on but Minshew started playing better in the second half and made plays when we needed him to. Looking forward to seeing how he will progress the next couple months. Guy is obviously a gamer. Doesnt have a huge arm but seems to have everything else.

• Run Defense: I need to rewatch to analyze, but I'm beginning to have some concern about Myles Jack versus the run. Not having a healthy Marcell Dareus was a problem as you can't really expect a one-armed DT to effectively take up double teams. Nonetheless - I'm left wondering why those gaps seem unfilled so frequently. They've gotta stop the run better and the next opponent will exploit.
  • Coaching:  Marrone and his staff have a protocol in place for challenges and he wasn't getting the info he required from the guys in the booth to challenge that no-catch by Hopkins. I get thet. I wish he'd challenged it, but I get it. The decision to run from the gun instead of letting Minshew find a target in the endzone on the conversion attempt was baffling. I definitely do NOT get that. 
  • Fournette/Run Game:  I like DeFilippo thus far, but if I've got one complaint it's that he needs to try some different smoke and mirrors to find Fournette a lane. They tried a few things today and most of them didn't work. I hope he can add a wrinkle or two to that blocking scheme. Would like to see some outside zone stuff with an H-Back leading the way and I'd like to see it with Armstead as well. Maybe that could help create a lane or two. 
  • The receivers are getting open. Chark has taken the step so many here said he was not capable of taking. I hope they employ those back shoulder throws Thursday night. Very tough to defend and Minshew has the knack for timing them well and putting them on the spot. 
  • The safeties had a good bounce back game after being picked on by Reid/Mahomes last week.
  • Ramsey did a very nice job of limiting Hopkins to a very pedestrian stat line and also made a few good plays in run support. Shame he couldn't secure the pick. Hope he can control the temper on the sidelines better moving forward. Whatever the cause, justified or not, it's a bad look that isn't helping.
  • I hope these Quincy Williams flashes today are just a glimpse of what we'll see from him. Really impressive, but we'll need a bit more from him. 

When you need “smoke and mirrors” to get your #4 overall pick RB yards, you know you have a problem.

(09-15-2019, 08:59 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: When you need “smoke and mirrors” to get your #4 overall pick RB yards, you know you have a problem.

Well, yeah. I mean I disliked the pick and advised against it pre-draft for exactly the reasons we're seeing play out.
But most offenses use a bit of smoke and mirrors for their backs. I'm just hoping to see Flip try a few different versions of it than he did today. 
Fournette's skillset is limited, his vision is [BLEEP], and his contact balance is non existent, but if they are going to keep trotting him out as a bellcow I'd like to see them work to get him some space to run.

(09-15-2019, 08:26 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote:
(09-15-2019, 06:35 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Fans and observers undoubtedly will criticize both the decision to go for two, and to run Fournette. Marrone said the decision to go for two was made well in advance of Chark’s touchdown. As for the run to Fournette, the Jaguars had multiple plays called. The Texans’ defensive formation for the play determined the run.

Watch it back, Conley has half the endzone open.

I made a commemt before minshews drive in the gameday thread that we should go for two if we were able to drive for a TD. We were getting ticky tack calls against us all game, ggoing for 2 was our best shot to win. However, giving the ball to fournette was stupid. The guy has no vision, and just isnt that good. The ball should have been in minshews hands.

I get it. We hadnt been in scoring position for a while, get 2 and out with a W. One blown coverage and they kick a fg.

But it's the call for me. Minshew had made things happen, if your going to roll the dice, give it to the guy who got you there. 

Seen a lot of players and coaches saying 'you'll always bet on Fournette to get you 2' but we struggled running all day.

(09-15-2019, 09:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-15-2019, 08:59 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: When you need “smoke and mirrors” to get your #4 overall pick RB yards, you know you have a problem.

Well, yeah. I mean I disliked the pick and advised against it pre-draft for exactly the reasons we're seeing play out.
But most offenses use a bit of smoke and mirrors for their backs. I'm just hoping to see Flip try a few different versions of it than he did today. 
Fournette's skillset is limited, his vision is [BLEEP], and his contact balance is non existent, but if they are going to keep trotting him out as a bellcow I'd like to see them work to get him some space to run.

I'm wondering if we know what kind of RB we want Fournette to be. Too slow when he was bigger and too many hits and he is slimmer this year and has some speed back but is by no means a burner. Hes hitting holes nowhere near as hard as that rookie year.

We seem to want him to be everything. 3 down back, power, speed, agility, catching. I'd rather see us, like last season with Grant and Yeldon, guys with other skills to compliment Fournettes game. Fournette was in for 97% of O snaps today.

(09-15-2019, 09:11 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(09-15-2019, 09:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Well, yeah. I mean I disliked the pick and advised against it pre-draft for exactly the reasons we're seeing play out.

I'm wondering if we know what kind of RB we want Fournette to be. Too slow when he was bigger and too many hits and he is slimmer this year and has some speed back but is by no means a burner. Hes hitting holes nowhere near as hard as that rookie year.

We seem to want him to be everything. 3 down back, power, speed, agility, catching. I'd rather see us, like last season with Grant and Yeldon, guys with other skills to compliment Fournettes game. Fournette was in for 97% of O snaps today.

Yeah. I'm actually really surprised Flip doesn't want to employ a C.o.P. back to mix things up and keep defenses guessing a bit more vs the run. Thought he'd want to do that based on what I read about him in the offseason.

I do think Flip will adapt his approach if LF continues on today's trajectory in this bellcow roll.