Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jalen Ramsey has asked for trade (merged)

(09-23-2019, 05:11 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(09-23-2019, 04:56 PM)JackCity Wrote: Bad table manners? 

Which do you think has a bigger effect...Ramsey's onfield play...or his personality "quirks"

All this. As long as he's not beating humans/animals off the field or otherwise doing anything to jeopardize Jaguar wins, what's the problem? Seriously, what's the problem with having a petulant ALL PRO (again for those in the back: ALL PRO) corner with personality quirks? If the price tag was right, every team in the NFL would gladly have him on their roster. 

More than anything else, I've observed these past two weeks to be a generational gap issue. Boomers in particular seem to have the hardest time reconciling Jalen's importance to this franchise. They also have a hard time reconciling anyone with an alternative perspective - which is a stereotypical boomer trait in and of itself.  

Pay him.

Does that excuse him from popping off on his HEAD coach?
Does that excuse him from going on a rival team players podcast and saying he wouldn't mind playing for other teams? Which includes a rival team.
Does that excuse him from not wanting to be a leader and a captain?
Does that excuse him from joining Myles Jack in the KC scuffle?
Does that excuse him from creating a "he sucks" list?
Does that excuse him from popping off at the press?

Does none of that require the head of Football Operations to call him out? When TC does call out Ramsey for it, is it disrespectful and not recognizing his one year of All Pro status?

Ramseys football play has earned a top contract.
But his ability to lead this team hasnt.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 09-23-2019, 06:05 PM by Hard_Eight.)

(09-23-2019, 06:01 PM)jagshype Wrote:
(09-23-2019, 05:11 PM)Gabe Wrote: All this. As long as he's not beating humans/animals off the field or otherwise doing anything to jeopardize Jaguar wins, what's the problem? Seriously, what's the problem with having a petulant ALL PRO (again for those in the back: ALL PRO) corner with personality quirks? If the price tag was right, every team in the NFL would gladly have him on their roster. 

More than anything else, I've observed these past two weeks to be a generational gap issue. Boomers in particular seem to have the hardest time reconciling Jalen's importance to this franchise. They also have a hard time reconciling anyone with an alternative perspective - which is a stereotypical boomer trait in and of itself.  

Pay him.

Does that excuse him from going on a rival team players podcast and saying he wouldn't mind playing for other teams? Which includes a rival team.

Does none of that require the head of Football Operations to call him out? When TC does call out Ramsey for it, is it disrespectful and not recognizing his one year of All Pro status?

You're just old and out of touch. He's so good he should be able to act however he wants. Screw the coaches, screw his teammates, screw his contract...WAAAAHHHHH!

Everyone over 40 is [BLEEP] and doesn't know anything
[/sarcasm]
Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

(09-23-2019, 03:26 PM)Brett Wrote:
(09-23-2019, 02:37 PM)knarnn Wrote: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...de-demand/

Thanks, I already know from this article that they had a fall out but I'm referring to the post that NYC4Jags said specifically that Coughlin "chewed out" Ramsey in the locker room after the Texans game? I never heard a location or that being the case until now? Just curious where he saw that from.

It was in a few twitter threads that had multiple reporters cited. 

Vito Stellino was the guy I think I initially got it from but I saw it elsewhere as well. 
Nothing about it seem like only rumor. Seemed credible.

(09-23-2019, 06:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-23-2019, 03:26 PM)Brett Wrote: Thanks, I already know from this article that they had a fall out but I'm referring to the post that NYC4Jags said specifically that Coughlin "chewed out" Ramsey in the locker room after the Texans game? I never heard a location or that being the case until now? Just curious where he saw that from.

It was in a few twitter threads that had multiple reporters cited. 

Vito Stellino was the guy I think I initially got it from but I saw it elsewhere as well. 

Thanks! Yeah, I'm definitely not doubting you just curious why ESPN and other news sites didn't run with it and talk about it? I haven't seen it anywhere.

(09-23-2019, 06:13 PM)Brett Wrote:
(09-23-2019, 06:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: It was in a few twitter threads that had multiple reporters cited. 

Thanks! Yeah, I'm definitely not doubting you just curious why ESPN and other news sites didn't run with it and talk about it? I haven't seen it anywhere.

Stephen A Smith did run with it actually.

What the hell ever happened to “class”? Are you a stud Va JayJaylen? Sure. You’ve got a contract to uphold. You’ll get paid. But you’re not getting paid before you’re supposed to? Oh no’s! Do you deserve to get paid? Sure!!! Do you need to ride into training camp in a brinks truck trying to channel your inner alumni brother saint Deion? [BLEEP] off. Close your [BLEEP] mouth. Do you job. Get paid. His mouth,attitude and ego is [BLEEP] himself over. Look at AB. Karma at its finest.

(09-23-2019, 06:01 PM)jagshype Wrote:
(09-23-2019, 05:11 PM)Gabe Wrote: All this. As long as he's not beating humans/animals off the field or otherwise doing anything to jeopardize Jaguar wins, what's the problem? Seriously, what's the problem with having a petulant ALL PRO (again for those in the back: ALL PRO) corner with personality quirks? If the price tag was right, every team in the NFL would gladly have him on their roster. 

Pay him.

His head coach, by all indications, has put that behind him.  His head coach has said he doesn't want him traded, and when the whole world thought Ramsey was acting up when he called in sick, Marrone defended him.

Michael Irvin once wore a 49ers jersey during an interview.

Not every player-even a star player-has the obligation to be a team captain or vocal leader.  If he fakes it, his teammates-the guys he's supposed to be leading-would see right through him and lose respect.

Maybe he did join Jack in the scuffle.  Remember who joined in Ramsey's scuffle with AJ Green?  It was Myles Jack.  Did anyone view him as a bad guy fo doing so?

As for the "he sucks list" he was asked about players by a reporter from GQ magazine.  He gave his honest answer on those players, based in large part on his experiences playing against those players.

Popping off at the press?  Lots of hall of fame players and coaches have been less than cordial with the media from time to time, including Belicheck, Ditka, Irvin, and many others.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Question: If Ramsey continues to play at his current level he would certainly be worthy of HOF consideration, does the current trade demand/etc. impact his potential election?

The reason I ask is I grew up in Baltimore, John Mackey was considered the first modern TE. He was expected to be the first TE elected into the HOF. As the President of the NFLPA Mackey was the voice of the players during the acrimonious negotiations of the 70s. The NFL didn’t forget his active role and made sure he wasn’t elected until after Mike Ditka.

Or, it doesn’t Make a rats [BLEEP] bit of difference.....

(09-23-2019, 07:04 PM)Rockman1966 Wrote: Question: If Ramsey continues to play at his current level he would certainly be worthy of HOF consideration,  does the current trade demand/etc. impact his potential election?

The reason I ask is I grew up in Baltimore, John Mackey was considered the first modern TE.  He was expected to be the first TE elected into the HOF.  As the President of the NFLPA Mackey was the voice of the players during the acrimonious negotiations of the 70s.  The NFL didn’t forget his active role and made sure he wasn’t elected until after Mike Ditka.  

No it doesn't.

There have been plenty of hall of famers who have demanded trades, have been traded, or otherwise switched teams, including, but not limited to:

Roger Staubach
John Elway
Brett Favre
Steve Young
Tony Dorsett
Eric Dickerson
Jerome Bettis
Marcus Allen
Marshall Faulk
Willie Roaf
Randy Moss
Terrell Owens
Charles Haley
Fred Dean
Mike Haynes

My question is this. If he wants to be a little crybaby and [BLEEP] his way off the team, who the [BLEEP] cares if he’s a HOFer?

(09-23-2019, 04:01 PM)jagman Wrote:
(09-23-2019, 03:50 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Yes. This is football. Winning is EVERYTHING. Period. I wanna win a championship and if that means we can't have choir boys on our team, so be it. As long as they aren't abusing woman, children or animals, bring'em on. If they can win us a championship, I'm fine with them. The vast majority of NFL fans only care about winning. That's just reality.

You have an absolute right to your opinion and I respect your right to voice it.  I just disagree with it.

Just out of curiosity, would you would be satisfied having a team full of upstanding citizens, if that mean't never reaching the playoffs? Just wondering....

(09-23-2019, 07:21 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(09-23-2019, 04:01 PM)jagman Wrote: You have an absolute right to your opinion and I respect your right to voice it.  I just disagree with it.

Just out of curiosity, would you would be satisfied having a team full of upstanding citizens, if that mean't never reaching the playoffs? Just wondering....

Full disclosure:  I don't know him at all.

That said, I feel safe in saying none on that side would be satisfied.

When the Jaguars were languishing under Bradley, let's just say starting completely over was not a rare stance on this board.

Now none of this suggests you can't build a winning team with high character guys.

But to that end:

1.  So called "low character guys" have contributed to many championships; and

2.  Often times, so called "low character guys" are nothing of the sort-or at least not nearly as bad as what is portrayed in the media.

(This post was last modified: 09-23-2019, 07:38 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(09-23-2019, 04:26 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(09-23-2019, 03:50 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Yes. This is football. Winning is EVERYTHING. Period. I wanna win a championship and if that means we can't have choir boys on our team, so be it. As long as they aren't abusing woman, children or animals, bring'em on. If they can win us a championship, I'm fine with them. The vast majority of NFL fans only care about winning. That's just reality.

I’m not asking for choir boys. In fact that sort of the point. Be men, not boys.  And if I can like or admire them, then all the better. But at least don’t be petulant, entitled and thin skinned.  We don’t have to be potential buddies. Just don’t be a dick. That’s all I’m asking of a player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not the age we live in though. Society has nursed this generation to cater to young people. They don't believe they should ever have to earn anything and they should get whatever they want without being yelled at or have any roadblocks. That's the life these young players grew up in, so I can't even fault them. It's their parents fault and everyone around them who let them get away with it. Add in the fact that they have superior talent and millions of dollars and the situation gets worse. The players grew up this way with no one telling them it was wrong, so they believe they are doing nothing wrong. Now, he's in his 20's and the majority of people around him are still allowing him to behave this way, so why change? As a team, you can either get on board and keep your best player happy, hoping he can help get you to a championship, because he is so talented or ship him off for less than what he's worth, keeping a crotchety old fart in the front office who is stuck in the past and can't get along with the new generation of players. He only wants upstanding, young men first and talent second. That won't win championships. We're in an age where you can't go back to the past. You can either accept what you cannot change and succeed or keep fighting against the tide and fall behind. I prefer to win. The priority is to win.

(09-23-2019, 04:53 PM)jagshype Wrote:
(09-23-2019, 04:44 PM)Bullseye Wrote: But why do you care if he's thin skinned or not?

Do you have to deal with him, outside of what you see on  TV or the internet?  It certainly isn't illegal or even immoral to be thin skinned, petulant, or entitled.

As long as he can shut down an opposing team's best WR and make our team better, what does it matter if he is petulant, has bad table manners, what does his personality quirks matter to any of you?

His petulance, bad table manners, and personality quirks impacts the team.
Negatively or positively is up for debate but there is an impact.

According to who? Where is the proof? We played better on Thursday night than we played all year, so it couldn't be too negative.

(This post was last modified: 09-23-2019, 07:50 PM by TJBender.)

(09-23-2019, 06:15 PM)Jags Wrote: What the hell ever happened to “class”?   Are you a stud Va JayJaylen?

*comments about having class
*calls someone a lady part

(09-23-2019, 05:17 PM)D6 Wrote:
(09-23-2019, 04:21 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: Don't worry even if he went to the chiefs he probably won't win a superbowl.  Andy Reid is one of the greatest during the regular season.

Even without Jalen Ramsey,  I think Andy Reid is going to win at least one Super Bowl with Patrick Mahomes as his starting QB.   If not for a coin flip going the wrong way this past January entering OT in the AFC Championship Game,  the Chiefs Offense would have been difficult to stop based on what transpired in tbe 2nd Half.

If Dee Ford doesn't jump off sides at the end of that game, Chiefs win it. Him jumping off sides took away an INT on that same play with 1 minute left in the game. Chiefs were up 28-24 at that time.

Instead, that off sides removed the game ending INT and Pats went on to score a TD 2 plays later to make it 31-28.

Chiefs then went 48 yards on 4 plays, in 30 seconds to tie the game with a FG, sending it into OT.

Chiefs had that game in the bag. Talk about the ultimate costly penalty.

(09-23-2019, 07:13 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(09-23-2019, 07:04 PM)Rockman1966 Wrote: Question: If Ramsey continues to play at his current level he would certainly be worthy of HOF consideration,  does the current trade demand/etc. impact his potential election?

The reason I ask is I grew up in Baltimore, John Mackey was considered the first modern TE.  He was expected to be the first TE elected into the HOF.  As the President of the NFLPA Mackey was the voice of the players during the acrimonious negotiations of the 70s.  The NFL didn’t forget his active role and made sure he wasn’t elected until after Mike Ditka.  

No it doesn't.

There have been plenty of hall of famers who have demanded trades, have been traded, or otherwise switched teams, including, but not limited to:

Roger Staubach
John Elway
Brett Favre
Steve Young
Tony Dorsett
Eric Dickerson
Jerome Bettis
Marcus Allen
Marshall Faulk
Willie Roaf
Randy Moss
Terrell Owens
Charles Haley
Fred Dean
Mike Haynes

Did any ask two games into the season?  I honestly don't know.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(09-23-2019, 07:34 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(09-23-2019, 07:21 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Just out of curiosity, would you would be satisfied having a team full of upstanding citizens, if that mean't never reaching the playoffs? Just wondering....

Full disclosure:  I don't know him at all.

That said, I feel safe in saying none on that side would be satisfied.

When the Jaguars were languishing under Bradley, let's just say starting completely over was not a rare stance on this board.

Now none of this suggests you can't build a winning team with high character guys.

But to that end:

1.  So called "low character guys" have contributed to many championships; and

2.  Often times, so called "low character guys" are nothing of the sort-or at least not nearly as bad as what is portrayed in the media.

It depends on your meaning of "upstanding citizens."  Would I require them to be members of a choir, no.  Would I expect them to never make mistakes, no.  Would I want them to learn from their mistakes and turn negative behavior into positive behavior, yes.  JR has a history of negative behavior and from vast experience I can tell you that he very well could have a negative impact on the team.

Sounds like yall betas want Gene Smith back Smile

(09-23-2019, 07:35 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(09-23-2019, 04:26 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: I’m not asking for choir boys. In fact that sort of the point. Be men, not boys.  And if I can like or admire them, then all the better. But at least don’t be petulant, entitled and thin skinned.  We don’t have to be potential buddies. Just don’t be a dick. That’s all I’m asking of a player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not the age we live in though. Society has nursed this generation to cater to young people. They don't believe they should ever have to earn anything and they should get whatever they want without being yelled at or have any roadblocks. That's the life these young players grew up in, so I can't even fault them. It's their parents fault and everyone around them who let them get away with it. Add in the fact that they have superior talent and millions of dollars and the situation gets worse. The players grew up this way with no one telling them it was wrong, so they believe they are doing nothing wrong. Now, he's in his 20's and the majority of people around him are still allowing him to behave this way, so why change? As a team, you can either get on board and keep your best player happy, hoping he can help get you to a championship, because he is so talented or ship him off for less than what he's worth, keeping a crotchety old fart in the front office who is stuck in the past and can't get along with the new generation of players. He only wants upstanding, young men first and talent second. That won't win championships. We're in an age where you can't go back to the past. You can either accept what you cannot change and succeed or keep fighting against the tide and fall behind. I prefer to win. The priority is to win.

(09-23-2019, 04:53 PM)jagshype Wrote: His petulance, bad table manners, and personality quirks impacts the team.
Negatively or positively is up for debate but there is an impact.

According to who? Where is the proof? We played better on Thursday night than we played all year, so it couldn't be too negative.

I meant it as, "regardless of whatever you want to call it, it impacts the team"
I was quoting another poster

(This post was last modified: 09-23-2019, 08:27 PM by JaguarJosh05.)

I for one got tired of having a roster full of "by the book" guys and drafting in the top 5 every year. Not interesting at all. I mean teams/franchises are judged by wins and on the field success. In a production based business, you pay the guys that produce the most as it relates to winning. I thought bringing Coughlin in was a super idea before, having a track record of success and being a former Jaguars coach. 2017 feels like an enigma and now his team shows lack of discipline and the good players don't want to be here anymore.
No pain, no gain.