Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
California police officer call off chase after Tesla patrol car's battery runs low

California police officer must call off chase after Tesla patrol car's battery runs low

A Tesla electric patrol car with the Fremont, Calif., Police was forced to back off from a pursuit after the vehicle's battery ran low in the middle of the chase.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/california-...vdU3vwcHsM
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Didn’t read the article. But I’m sure the car couldn’t out run Motorola. Not sure it’s that big of a deal. Except for maybe the tax payers paying for such expensive cars.

(09-26-2019, 04:19 PM)Jags Wrote: Didn’t read the article.  But I’m sure the car couldn’t out run Motorola. Not sure it’s that big of a deal.   Except for maybe the tax payers paying for such expensive cars.

They use a 2014 Tesla Model S.

While expensive, with a MSRP around $70k, they aren't much more than Police Tahoe's which are minimum around mid $60k. 

Not to mention fuel/maintenance savings. The Tesla is actually probably a bit more financially responsible than some police vehicles. 

That being said, the Model S has a range of ~250 miles on a full charge. Why was only a single vehicle chasing this car? Even if the Tesla was down to say a 1/4 charge, 75miles should be more than enough distance for another car to join in.

(09-26-2019, 05:13 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(09-26-2019, 04:19 PM)Jags Wrote: Didn’t read the article.  But I’m sure the car couldn’t out run Motorola. Not sure it’s that big of a deal.   Except for maybe the tax payers paying for such expensive cars.

While expensive, with a MSRP around $70k, they aren't much more than Police Tahoe's which are minimum around mid $60k. 

Not to mention fuel/maintenance savings. The Tesla is actually probably a bit more financially responsible than some police vehicles. 

That being said, the Model S has a range of ~250 miles on a full charge. Why was only a single vehicle chasing this car? Even if the Tesla was down to say a 1/4 charge, 75miles should be more than enough distance for another car to join in.

My apologies, I thought the S was 80K.  That closes the gap.  I understand all LE vehicles even the “Taurus” (interceptors) require many upgrades before they’re use.  [BLEEP], 5k plus on lights alone.  Not to mention under the hood, brakes, suspension whatever.  But I also know, they don’t use the 65k + Tahoes.  They’re not the full leather and Sirius xm, Nav, Moon Roof, etc models.    But, add all that to a Tesla.... really?  Still think it’s a lot.

(09-26-2019, 05:13 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:

"Other officers then took over the pursuit."

Right there in the article mate. Other than that, I agree. And to add; police cars spending a lot of their time with the engine just idling, burning fuel while not moving. Tesla's only consume a tiny bit of charge when they're stopped. 

And BTW; from the second-to-last paragraph of the article:

"“The Tesla wasn’t fully charged at the beginning of the shift,” a Fremont police spokesperson told KPIX 5. “This, unfortunately, happens from time to time, even in our vehicles that run on gas, if they aren’t refueled at the end of a shift.”"

So it's not like their gas powered vehicles don't suffer from the same problem.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-26-2019, 06:14 PM)DragonFury Wrote:
(09-26-2019, 05:13 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: They use a 2014 Tesla Model S.

"Other officers then took over the pursuit."

Right there in the article mate. Other than that, I agree. And to add; police cars spending a lot of their time with the engine just idling, burning fuel while not moving. Tesla's only consume a tiny bit of charge when they're stopped. 

And BTW; from the second-to-last paragraph of the article:

"“The Tesla wasn’t fully charged at the beginning of the shift,” a Fremont police spokesperson told KPIX 5. “This, unfortunately, happens from time to time, even in our vehicles that run on gas, if they aren’t refueled at the end of a shift.”"

So it's not like their gas powered vehicles don't suffer from the same problem.

To be fair, I didn't read the article, just went off the headline which seemed to imply the driver got away because the Tesla died.

100% my fault on that one