Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2016 Ryder Cup

There is nothing in sports quite like Sunday at the Ryder Cup. I would encourage even non-golf fans to check it out today.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Finally the cup is back in the U.S. Several times I heard EU players being asked if the inappropriate comments and jeering from the gallery was a distraction. It was never repeated what was said and I know it gets raucous. I'm under the impression that it's progressively getting out of hand.

I hate the idiots in the crowd who just randomly yell out stupid [BLEEP] after a guys swings, whether it's The Cup or not. Grow the hell up.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

The problem with the RC and even The Players is that it draws fans who couldn't really care less about golf and just look at it as a social event where they can act like idiots. I don't think an entire countries fans should be judged based on a few idiots.

You would never find behavior like that at The Masters or any "pure" golf tournament.

The crowd this year may have been a little extra motivated in response to Peter Willett's column. Regardless, it's starting to get out of hand. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:The crowd this year may have been a little extra motivated in response to Peter Willett's column. Regardless, it's starting to get out of hand. 

Now, Willett is saying his brother was correct.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-cen...ican-fans/

If you haven't earned a single point for your squad, you should probably keep your mouth shut.

Quote:Now, Willett is saying his brother was correct.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-cen...ican-fans/

If you haven't earned a single point for your squad, you should probably keep your mouth shut.

From what I saw on TV, he's right. Obviously a few idiots don't represent the entire crowd, but when insults are being hurled at players (comments in link say some were insulting McIlroy's sexuality) then prompt removal and insistence on order must be enforced. When fan behavior becomes a distraction to the game and a topic of earnest conversation, then it's time to clamp down. The only exception would be the 16th hole of the Waste Management Open. That just looks like plain fun.

I hate sounding like an old codger or something, but fan behavior in general has gotten out of hand. We seem to have this understanding that you can go to a ball game or any other sporting event and just say any old thing that crosses your mind. Folks have no respect for their own dignity any longer. When you have that kind of behavior, it always seems like things spiral out of control pretty quickly after that. 

It just bothers me.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!