Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
First Quarter Jag Awards

Offensive MVP-Gardner Minshew-on too many levels to delineate here, had anyone told me in July I would be typing this after four weeks, I’d either laugh or weep uncontrollably.  But Minshew has been way more than anyone could have reasonably expected.  In fact, going into the season, I would have been happy with Foles’ performance had everything remained the same.  After the Denver game, he has a 69.4 % completion percentage and a 7-1 TD-INT ratio.  That TD/INT ratio SHOULD be 9-0 because he had Westbrook drop a TD, had another TD called back due to penalty, and the INT was not his fault.  I don’t know if that level of performance for a rookie is sustainable longer term, but as it stands now, he is the offensive MVP.  After the Foles injury, I thought our season was all but over.  But if Minshew actually continues his level of play, we should be in the thick of the hunt in late November and December.   

Defensive MVP-Calais Campbell-Campbell has proven to be the best big ticket free agent signing in team history, and he can sustain this level of play the next year or two here, will be possibly the best defensive lineman in team history and worthy of inclusion into the Pride.  His dominant takeover of the tack game was a beautiful sight to behold.

Special teams MVP-Andrew Wingard and Leon Jacobs.  This is not a knock on Lambo or Cook, both of whom have performed quite well for us.  But Wingard and Jacobs collaborated on the play that put us in control of the Titans game.  On a first quarter punt, Wingard forced Adoree Jackson to fumble the punt he already misplayed, and Jacobs recovered it deep in tack territory.  That play gave the momentum to the Jaguars early in the game and the tacks never recovered, and was the catalyst to the nine sack performance by the defense.  In fact, given the circumstances going into the game (0-2 start, controversial week 2 loss, Ramsey requesting a trade, national TV game against a rival against whom we’ve had lots of trouble), Wingard and Jacobs may have saved the season.

Most improved player-hands down, that player is D.J. Chark.  In his rookie year, Chark finished with 14 receptions for 174 yards, zero TDs, a key TD drop and a fumble.  He seemed to be a glorified punt gunner-like a more highly drafted and faster Kassim Osgood.  However, this year, under McCardell’s coaching, Foles and Minshew’s QBing, and DeFilippo’s playcalls, Chark is flourishing so far.  He is on pace for 76 -1284 yards and 12 TDs.  His 2018 draft mate Taven Bryan also warrants consideration.

Best Newcomer-offense-  Minshew is likely going to monopolize many of these awards, so for variety’s sake, I offer someone a little different.  I am not sure if he counts as a newcomer or not, but my vote goes for Will Richardson.  He gave us a good opening day start at LT, and after struggling in Houston, he moved back inside to RG where he got spot suty in against Denver and played very well.  It would not surprise me to see him start against Carolina.  If he doesn’t count, then Conley gets the nod.  He’s had some good catches for us, including a key reception in the game winning drive against Denver.

Most pleasant surprise/offense-Minshew.

Best Offensive performance-Leonard fournette v. Denver.  What a dominant performance by the big man after much vilification from the team, fans, and media.  His 225 yards was the second best rushing performance in team history behind FT.

Best Newcomer/Defense:  This is harder than I thought it would be.  I tentatively give my vote to Josh Allen, who has two and a half sacks (had his very first sack and FF taken away by Jack’s meltdown in week 1) a forced fumble and a few pressures.  However, I think Quincy Williams warrants legitimate consideration here.  I think the team has been a little better against the run this year, and that is in large part due to Williams.  His hit against Houston was classic!

Best performance/Defense-Calais Campbell v. Tennessee.  Was absolutely unblockable.  Had 3 sacks, several pressures, and was disruptive against the run against a strong running attack.  Jalen Ramsey’s performance against Houston would warrant more consideration where he shut down D. Hopkins, but given his blowup with Marrone that was a catalyst to the current trade request, he loses points for that.

Offensive Play of the quarter-Minshew’s TD pass to Ryquell Armstead vs. Denver.  Showed amazing pocket presence and poise.  I almost screamed for him to get rid of the ball, because plenty have gotten sacked and fumbled in a similar situation.  Instead, he stayed alive and found Armstead-of ALL people.

Defensive play of the quarter-Ronnie Harrison’s INT vs. Denver.  Recording the first turnover of the year, Harrison’s late first half INT against Denver turned the game around.  But for his pick, I don’t think we win the game.

Most Disappointing player-Offense-I could say Foles due to the injury, but he threw a TD and kept us within early range of KC.  I could say Cann and such a nomination would get a lot of support, but considering there wasn’t too much expectation for Cann coming into the season, it doesn’t surprise too many people he isn’t playing well.  If anything, I’d say DeDe Westbrook is the choice here.  Based upon what we saw in the preseason and the injuries to the TEs, many figured Westbrook would play a huge role in the offense serving as Foles’ security blanket over the middle from the slot.   But it hasn’t materialized for various reasons.  First, and perhaps most importantly, D.J. Chark has developed into a good outside threat.  Secondly, they have utilized Fournette more in the passing game.  Furthermore, Westbrook’s poor performance against Tennessee didn’t help.  (Subquestion:  What is it with Westbrook against Tennessee?  Back in 2017, he dropped what would have been a sure TD which would have been the winning points against them, now this past game.)  But Westbrook is a good player and there is still plenty of time for him to have a big year.

Most disappointing player/Defense-Jalen Ramsey.  Any time a player as talented as Ramsey has a blow up at the head coach mid game and then requests a trade, that is going to disappoint  the fans.  If you base it purely on performance, it goes to Ngakoue.  Yes, he has been hindered some by a hamstring injury, but he has yet to record a sack in a contract year.  I wonder if the tweaks to the scheme introduced by Capers has somehow been a negative factor.  Nevertheless, his performance to date is not helping him get the monster deal he was pushing for this summer.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

On the DJ Chark note, I read this today on a fantasy site (which should obviously be taken with a pinch of salt). But it does make an interesting point:

"D.J. Chark reminds me of a certain star receiver
Every year some seemingly random wide receiver becomes a star overnight. A few years ago it was Allen Robinson followed by Tyreek Hill, Adam Thielen and last year Tyler Boyd was borderline. This year it seems to be Chark who is already a fantastic football player after being nothing more than an athlete last year. In fact, Chark reminds me more and more of Thielen with each passing week. He is a plus route runner with exceptional body control and the hands to match."

Not sure if I agree with the Thielen comp, but it's nice to hear. Personally I think he's a better athlete, but nowhere near the route runner at this stage. Either way, he's shown enough to believe that he could develop into a true number 1 for this team.

(10-01-2019, 07:40 PM)JagJohn Wrote: On the DJ Chark note, I read this today on a fantasy site (which should obviously be taken with a pinch of salt). But it does make an interesting point:

Every year some seemingly random wide receiver becomes a star overnight. A few years ago it was Allen Robinson followed by Tyreek Hill, Adam Thielen and last year Tyler Boyd was borderline. This year it seems to be Chark who is already a fantastic football player after being nothing more than an athlete last year. In fact, Chark reminds me more and more of Thielen with each passing week. He is a plus route runner with exceptional body control and the hands to match."

Not sure if I agree with the Thielen comp, but it's nice to hear. Personally I think he's a better athlete, but nowhere near the route runner at this stage. Either way, he's shown enough to believe that he could develop into a true number 1 for this team.

I'm not sure of a current player comparison just yet, but he certainly seems to be trending upward, and I love it!

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2019, 05:14 AM by TheBigDawg.)

(10-01-2019, 07:40 PM)JagJohn Wrote: On the DJ Chark note, I read this today on a fantasy site (which should obviously be taken with a pinch of salt). But it does make an interesting point:

"Every year some seemingly random wide receiver becomes a star overnight."

I didn't read that as a playing style comparison, but more of a "splash-on-the-scene" comparison.
Signature goes here.

(10-02-2019, 05:13 AM)TheBigDawg Wrote:

"Every year some seemingly random wide receiver becomes a star overnight."

I didn't read that as a playing style comparison, but more of a "splash-on-the-scene" comparison.
Either way, it's good to see Chark being described in those terms/contexts.

(10-02-2019, 07:33 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(10-02-2019, 05:13 AM)TheBigDawg Wrote: "Every year some seemingly random wide receiver becomes a star overnight."

Either way, it's good to see Chark being described in those terms/contexts.

Agreed
Signature goes here.

(10-01-2019, 07:13 PM) pid=\1243032' Wrote:Offensive MVP-Gardner Minshew-on too many levels to delineate here, had anyone told me in July I would be typing this after four weeks, I’d either laugh or weep uncontrollably.  But Minshew has been way more than anyone could have reasonably expected.  In fact, going into the season, I would have been happy with Foles’ performance had everything remained the same.  After the Denver game, he has a 69.4 % completion percentage and a 7-1 TD-INT ratio.  That TD/INT ratio SHOULD be 9-0 because he had Westbrook drop a TD, had another TD called back due to penalty, and the INT was not his fault.  I don’t know if that level of performance for a rookie is sustainable longer term, but as it stands now, he is the offensive MVP.  After the Foles injury, I thought our season was all but over.  But if Minshew actually continues his level of play, we should be in the thick of the hunt in late November and December.   

Defensive MVP-Calais Campbell-Campbell has proven to be the best big ticket free agent signing in team history, and he can sustain this level of play the next year or two here, will be possibly the best defensive lineman in team history and worthy of inclusion into the Pride.  His dominant takeover of the tack game was a beautiful sight to behold.

Special teams MVP-Andrew Wingard and Leon Jacobs.  This is not a knock on Lambo or Cook, both of whom have performed quite well for us.  But Wingard and Jacobs collaborated on the play that put us in control of the Titans game.  On a first quarter punt, Wingard forced Adoree Jackson to fumble the punt he already misplayed, and Jacobs recovered it deep in tack territory.  That play gave the momentum to the Jaguars early in the game and the tacks never recovered, and was the catalyst to the nine sack performance by the defense.  In fact, given the circumstances going into the game (0-2 start, controversial week 2 loss, Ramsey requesting a trade, national TV game against a rival against whom we’ve had lots of trouble), Wingard and Jacobs may have saved the season.

Most improved player-hands down, that player is D.J. Chark.  In his rookie year, Chark finished with 14 receptions for 174 yards, zero TDs, a key TD drop and a fumble.  He seemed to be a glorified punt gunner-like a more highly drafted and faster Kassim Osgood.  However, this year, under McCardell’s coaching, Foles and Minshew’s QBing, and DeFilippo’s playcalls, Chark is flourishing so far.  He is on pace for 76 -1284 yards and 12 TDs.  His 2018 draft mate Taven Bryan also warrants consideration.

Best Newcomer-offense-  Minshew is likely going to monopolize many of these awards, so for variety’s sake, I offer someone a little different.  I am not sure if he counts as a newcomer or not, but my vote goes for Will Richardson.  He gave us a good opening day start at LT, and after struggling in Houston, he moved back inside to RG where he got spot suty in against Denver and played very well.  It would not surprise me to see him start against Carolina.  If he doesn’t count, then Conley gets the nod.  He’s had some good catches for us, including a key reception in the game winning drive against Denver.

Most pleasant surprise/offense-Minshew.

Best Offensive performance-Leonard fournette v. Denver.  What a dominant performance by the big man after much vilification from the team, fans, and media.  His 225 yards was the second best rushing performance in team history behind FT.

Best Newcomer/Defense:  This is harder than I thought it would be.  I tentatively give my vote to Josh Allen, who has two and a half sacks (had his very first sack and FF taken away by Jack’s meltdown in week 1) a forced fumble and a few pressures.  However, I think Quincy Williams warrants legitimate consideration here.  I think the team has been a little better against the run this year, and that is in large part due to Williams.  His hit against Houston was classic!

Best performance/Defense-Calais Campbell v. Tennessee.  Was absolutely unblockable.  Had 3 sacks, several pressures, and was disruptive against the run against a strong running attack.  Jalen Ramsey’s performance against Houston would warrant more consideration where he shut down D. Hopkins, but given his blowup with Marrone that was a catalyst to the current trade request, he loses points for that.

Offensive Play of the quarter-Minshew’s TD pass to Ryquell Armstead vs. Denver.  Showed amazing pocket presence and poise.  I almost screamed for him to get rid of the ball, because plenty have gotten sacked and fumbled in a similar situation.  Instead, he stayed alive and found Armstead-of ALL people.

Defensive play of the quarter-Ronnie Harrison’s INT vs. Denver.  Recording the first turnover of the year, Harrison’s late first half INT against Denver turned the game around.  But for his pick, I don’t think we win the game.

Most Disappointing player-Offense-I could say Foles due to the injury, but he threw a TD and kept us within early range of KC.  I could say Cann and such a nomination would get a lot of support, but considering there wasn’t too much expectation for Cann coming into the season, it doesn’t surprise too many people he isn’t playing well.  If anything, I’d say DeDe Westbrook is the choice here.  Based upon what we saw in the preseason and the injuries to the TEs, many figured Westbrook would play a huge role in the offense serving as Foles’ security blanket over the middle from the slot.   But it hasn’t materialized for various reasons.  First, and perhaps most importantly, D.J. Chark has developed into a good outside threat.  Secondly, they have utilized Fournette more in the passing game.  Furthermore, Westbrook’s poor performance against Tennessee didn’t help.  (Subquestion:  What is it with Westbrook against Tennessee?  Back in 2017, he dropped what would have been a sure TD which would have been the winning points against them, now this past game.)  But Westbrook is a good player and there is still plenty of time for him to have a big year.

Most disappointing player/Defense-Jalen Ramsey.  Any time a player as talented as Ramsey has a blow up at the head coach mid game and then requests a trade, that is going to disappoint  the fans.  If you base it purely on performance, it goes to Ngakoue.  Yes, he has been hindered some by a hamstring injury, but he has yet to record a sack in a contract year.  I wonder if the tweaks to the scheme introduced by Capers has somehow been a negative factor.  Nevertheless, his performance to date is not helping him get the monster deal he was pushing for this summer.
 I agree 100% with Quincy Williams he’s been nothing short of outstanding for a rookie. I’m still not 100% sold on Myles Jack has a middle linebacker.  In my opinion there’s been quite a drop off since Posluszny retired and Jack took over his position.  I think the big difference between Myles Jack and Posluszny is  knowing which gap to fill on running plays. Miles is young so hopefully with experience he’ll become more efficient on run plays. Great post as always go jags.

(10-02-2019, 07:49 AM)TheBigDawg Wrote:
(10-02-2019, 07:33 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Either way, it's good to see Chark being described in those terms/contexts.

Agreed

I think some credit should be given to  Keenan  McCardell and the job he is doing as wide receivers coach.

(10-02-2019, 09:50 AM)dennisp3 Wrote:
(10-02-2019, 07:49 AM)TheBigDawg Wrote: Agreed

I think some credit should be given to  Keenan  McCardell and the job he is doing as wide receivers coach.

Absolutely!

I have long sang Keenan's coaching praises.

I guess this could go here: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...arter-mark

4 games in, NFL.com has 3 of our rookies in the top 25 rookies.

#1. Minshew
#18- Allen
#19- Williams

Minshew and Williams look right, but man that ranking is ridiculously low for Allen. Allen is 5th in the league in pressures with 15, tied with fellow rookie Burns who we will see this Sunday. Allen has been balling! Jeremiah is crazy for not having him in the top 5. Anyways, good to see our rookies playing well, would be nice to see Taylor make an appearance.

(10-02-2019, 01:12 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(10-02-2019, 09:50 AM)dennisp3 Wrote:  I think some credit should be given to  Keenan  McCardell and the job he is doing as wide receivers coach.

Absolutely!

Long Sang is a cook at the Ichiban in St. Augustine.

On-topic: I agree.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

Campbell should have been a lifetime, he would easily be in he pride. If he has double digit sacks this year and around 8 next year then I would say yes on the Pride.

But as of right now, he hasn’t been here long enough. He had the monster season in 2017 and 3 playoff games and a pro bowl to boot.

Idk, we will see how it plays out.

Quincy Williams is the reason the Broncos scored their last TD. He is a rookie and made a few mistakes but also some good ones. To be expected but he will be a good one IMO as can't teach what he has.

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2019, 11:00 PM by Eric1.)

(10-02-2019, 04:03 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: I guess this could go here: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...arter-mark

#1. Minshew
#18- Allen
#19- Williams

Minshew and Williams look right, but man that ranking is ridiculously low for Allen. Allen is 5th in the league in pressures with 15, tied with fellow rookie Burns who we will see this Sunday. Allen has been balling! Jeremiah is crazy for not having him in the top 5. Anyways, good to see our rookies playing well, would be nice to see Taylor make an appearance.

Where are you getting these pressure numbers from?

(10-02-2019, 06:39 PM)uthill Wrote: Quincy Williams is the reason the Broncos scored their last TD. He is a rookie and made a few mistakes but also some good ones. To be expected but he will be a good one IMO as can't teach what he has.

Herndon getting beat for the 50th time was the cause of the Broncos scoring their last TD.

(10-02-2019, 10:58 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(10-02-2019, 04:03 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: I guess this could go here: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...arter-mark

#1. Minshew
#18- Allen
#19- Williams

Where are you getting these pressure numbers from?

(10-02-2019, 06:39 PM)uthill Wrote: Quincy Williams is the reason the Broncos scored their last TD. He is a rookie and made a few mistakes but also some good ones. To be expected but he will be a good one IMO as can't teach what he has.

Herndon getting beat for the 50th time was the cause of the Broncos scoring their last TD.

Here you go:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/y...vanced.htm

(10-02-2019, 05:54 PM)PF* Wrote:
(10-02-2019, 01:12 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Absolutely!

Long Sang is a cook at the Ichiban in St. Augustine.

On-topic: I agree.

Any relation to Long Ding?
[Image: SaKG4.gif]