Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Saints' D ripped the mustache off Minshew Mania

(10-15-2019, 09:21 AM)rocdee Wrote: Hey how many yards did Minshew pass for against the Panthers NUMBER ONE pass defense? TIA

So what exactly is your point?  You want a cookie or a pat on the head or something?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-15-2019, 09:27 AM)Rico Wrote:
(10-15-2019, 09:21 AM)rocdee Wrote: Hey how many yards did Minshew pass for against the Panthers NUMBER ONE pass defense? TIA

So what exactly is your point?  You want a cookie or a pat on the head or something?

Well yes, actually. But this concession will do.

(This post was last modified: 10-15-2019, 09:59 AM by RicoTx.)

(10-15-2019, 09:29 AM)rocdee Wrote:
(10-15-2019, 09:27 AM)Rico Wrote: So what exactly is your point?  You want a cookie or a pat on the head or something?

Well yes, actually. But this concession will do.

So a rookie plays his first bad game and you go all ape [BLEEP].  Goodie for you.  You're so shmart.

(10-15-2019, 09:36 AM)Rico Wrote:
(10-15-2019, 09:29 AM)rocdee Wrote: Well yes, actually. But this concession will do.

So a rookie plays his first bad game and you call all ape [BLEEP].  Goodie for you.  You're so shmart.

He doesn’t get it. He had a rookie type game finally against a solid defense. 

If he was going against the 32nd ranked defense then yeah, sure, cause for concern. 

But it’s way to early to be yelling “bust”.

so the Saints went from a great defense on the first page to just a 'solid' defense now. At this rate, I'll have you guys admitting the Saints defense suckes by page 5

I'm just kidding, but you know what I'm saying

(10-15-2019, 09:47 AM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(10-15-2019, 09:36 AM)Rico Wrote: So a rookie plays his first bad game and you call all ape [BLEEP].  Goodie for you.  You're so shmart.

He doesn’t get it. He had a rookie type game finally against a solid defense. 

If he was going against the 32nd ranked defense then yeah, sure, cause for concern. 

But it’s way to early to be yelling “bust”.

He's a 6th round rookie that wasn't supposed to play this year with an 88 million dollar QB coming in from free agency.
I'd never use the word bust with him honestly.

(10-14-2019, 06:42 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: I'm still with Minshew. The saints are an elite unit and the team did him 0 favors.

Here's where the thread went potato. This guy says that the Saints defense is an 'elite unit'. That is categorically false. That's my only contention. I'm not even talking about Minshew's horrible game. This is about this dumb claim.

(This post was last modified: 10-15-2019, 10:37 AM by RicoTx.)

(10-14-2019, 10:26 AM)rocdee Wrote:
(10-14-2019, 10:13 AM)Kane Wrote: Saints are (likely) the NFCs best team...

Proud of our D and not terribly surprised by our offense struggling against one of the leagues better defenses.

Whatever makes you feel better

We were favored against the Saints, and now guys want to claim moral victories up in here EL OH EL

No, this is where it went south.  When you made the dumb claim that the Jags were favored...and then tried to tell us that we shouldn't claim moral victory over a team that is better than we are.

(10-15-2019, 10:17 AM)rocdee Wrote:
(10-14-2019, 06:42 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: I'm still with Minshew.  The saints are an elite unit and the team did him 0 favors.

Here's where the thread went potato. This guy says that the Saints defense is an 'elite unit'. That is categorically false. That's my only contention. I'm not even talking about Minshew's horrible game. This is about this dumb claim.

and I'll just leave this here:

"So far, this hasn't hurt the Saints because their defense is playing so well. They are a remarkable 4-0 since Drew Brees underwent thumb surgery but rank 25th in the NFL over the past five weeks in both yards per game (311.6) and offensive points per game (17.0). And it won't get any easier this week at Chicago. It's not as simple as just pointing to the switch at QB, where Teddy Bridgewater has been more efficient than electrifying. The Saints rank 27th in the league in red zone efficiency over that same span -- and first in offensive penalties." -- Mike Triplett

How about we put it all this way: Is it true the Saints aren't a top five defense? Sure. Maybe. But you can say without a doubt that their coach is leagues better than Jacksonville's. Payton is excellent at utilizing talent in schemes for certain gameplans, and this week's plan was to take Chark away, and force Gardner to stay in the pocket with less time to think. Their D may not be great compared to some others in the league, but they were clearly coached well enough to make Minshew's day extremely difficult. That's what good coaching does.

So, is it the sixth round rookie's fault that he made mistakes? Sure, it is. To a degree. But it's also against one of THE BEST teams in the NFL. I don't care what you want to say about their defense; in pure statistics, it's true they're not elite. But the Saints as a whole team are a superbowl contender, and there is no mistaking that. I wouldn't say that holding them to a close game is a moral victory, per se, but it does show that this team is lacking in real coaching, and for that i'm thankful Payton and co. quite sufficiently demonstrated this for Jacksonville to see. Gardner has REAL ability to be something in this league. I'm not giving up on him unless he [BLEEP] the bed these next two or three weeks, and by [BLEEP] the bed, I mean he's throwing interceptions left and right, and clearly running around like a chicken with its head cut off.

I worry more that this team will never achieve consistency under Marrone. i'd like to be wrong but i'm getting the feeling that won't change unless he's replaced at some point later on.