Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jalen Ramsey thread (merged)

(09-09-2020, 10:22 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/...14497?s=19

Lol, 2 1sts, 1 4th, and 21 mil a year for a corner that cost them a playoff spot.  Lmao

And I thought our FO made dumb decisions.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-09-2020, 02:37 PM)hb1148 Wrote: The money is insane for a corner no matter how good he is.  And given their cap situation, it's irresponsible.

I think Snead and their FO had no choice but to make sure a deal was done with Ramsey.

Otherwise the king's ransom we received from them in the form of draft capital was all for naught.

It's still disturbingly irresponsible in terms of cap management - but it will be interesting to see how they navigate the treacherous waters soon.

(09-09-2020, 06:46 PM)enigma Wrote:
(09-09-2020, 02:37 PM)hb1148 Wrote: The money is insane for a corner no matter how good he is.  And given their cap situation, it's irresponsible.

I think Snead and their FO had no choice but to make sure a deal was done with Ramsey.

Otherwise the king's ransom we received from them in the form of draft capital was all for naught.

It's still disturbingly irresponsible in terms of cap management - but it will be interesting to see how they navigate the treacherous waters soon.

He may have told them he wasn't playing this year if they didn't give him a deal. He already pulled the social media move that he did with the Jags.

(09-09-2020, 04:20 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(09-09-2020, 10:22 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/...14497?s=19

Lol, 2 1sts, 1 4th, and 21 mil a year for a corner that cost them a playoff spot.  Lmao

And I thought our FO made dumb decisions.

This is just as dumb as the decision to extend Bortles, (for different reasons obviously,) but just as dumb, none the less. The Rams are gonna regret this when they have no one to put around their 3 star players.

Lol the Rams' GM isn't going to get fired because of signing elite talents like Donald and Ramsey to those contracts...

The type of stuff that he'd get fired for is contracts like the one he gave to Goff... As well as paying Gurley $9m this year to play for the Falcons and Cooks $21m to play for the Texans.

He deserves his pay day maybe not 21 per but still he is elite.
No Fun

(09-09-2020, 01:47 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Wow! The Rams are idiots! They are gonna have so much tied up in 3 players, they won't be able to field a decent team around them. They already traded away a ton of draft picks, so their gonna have Goff, Donald, Ramsey and a bunch of low round picks and undrafted free agents to round out a roster. That's a terrible approach. Whatever.

We keep saying that but cap guru's have gotten incredibly good at manipulating the cap. The Chiefs had 300 dollars, yes 3 Benjamins, and were still able to give Mahomes the biggest deal in NFL history and make Kelce and Jones the highest paid players at their positions. The salary cap is fake.

(09-10-2020, 04:54 PM)Upper Wrote:
(09-09-2020, 01:47 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Wow! The Rams are idiots! They are gonna have so much tied up in 3 players, they won't be able to field a decent team around them. They already traded away a ton of draft picks, so their gonna have Goff, Donald, Ramsey and a bunch of low round picks and undrafted free agents to round out a roster. That's a terrible approach. Whatever.

We keep saying that but cap guru's have gotten incredibly good at manipulating the cap. The Chiefs had 300 dollars, yes 3 Benjamins, and were still able to give Mahomes the biggest deal in NFL history and make Kelce and Jones the highest paid players at their positions. The salary cap is fake.

Yup, the Rams were $400k over the cap on Tuesday and then come out on Wednesday and pay Ramsey $21m per. Cap is bogus.

(09-10-2020, 05:39 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(09-10-2020, 04:54 PM)Upper Wrote: We keep saying that but cap guru's have gotten incredibly good at manipulating the cap. The Chiefs had 300 dollars, yes 3 Benjamins, and were still able to give Mahomes the biggest deal in NFL history and make Kelce and Jones the highest paid players at their positions. The salary cap is fake.

Yup, the Rams were $400k over the cap on Tuesday and then come out on Wednesday and pay Ramsey $21m per. Cap is bogus.

Its because all his big cap hits are after this year.  Next year is when it will really start effecting their cap and epecailly if the extend Kupp.  Their salary cap will definitely be an issue after this year having all that money tied up in 4 players

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2020/09...-hit-2020/

There are no real surprises with Ramsey’s contract, but the Rams are essentially looking at a cap hit of at least $20 million in each of the next five years for their star corner.

Pair that with Jared Goff and Aaron Donald, whose contracts will have combined cap hits of at least $50 million each year through 2024, and the Rams have a good chunk of their salary cap accounted taken up for the foreseeable future.

Glad Ramsey got paid, he showed up on the field and gave our team heart. We would not have had that season without Ramsey

(09-10-2020, 05:59 PM)D-Money Wrote: Glad Ramsey got paid, he showed up on the field and gave our team heart. We would not have had that season without Ramsey

lol, He faked a back injury.  I wouldnt consider that showing up and giving our team heart, id say that is quiting on your team.  So if you have a good season and you're still under contract for a year or 2 its ok to come in and fake an injury?

(09-10-2020, 06:06 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(09-10-2020, 05:59 PM)D-Money Wrote: Glad Ramsey got paid, he showed up on the field and gave our team heart. We would not have had that season without Ramsey

lol, He faked a back injury.  I wouldnt consider that showing up and giving our team heart, id say that is quiting on your team.  So if you have a good season and you're still under contract for a year or 2 its ok to come in and fake an injury?

We already know who and what the problem was, its our Front office (Caldwell, Marrone and/or Couglin) not the players, same reason why all of our good players were happy to leave Jacksonville. Was Jalen not one of the cornerbacks we ever had when he was just playing football? I understand yall are mad but don't be mad at the players. We had earlier years to lock Jalen down and did not.

Jalen is not with our team anymore, we got 2 picks for him so no point to still be mad at him but we are back to being trash again, because we let all of our good players good and are in a so called rebuild, be mad the the front office.

(This post was last modified: 09-10-2020, 06:29 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(09-10-2020, 06:13 PM)D-Money Wrote:
(09-10-2020, 06:06 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: lol, He faked a back injury.  I wouldnt consider that showing up and giving our team heart, id say that is quiting on your team.  So if you have a good season and you're still under contract for a year or 2 its ok to come in and fake an injury?

We already know who and what the problem was, its our Front office (Caldwell, Marrone and/or Couglin) not the players, same reason why all of our good players were happy to leave Jacksonville. Was Jalen not one of the cornerbacks we ever had when he was just playing football? I understand yall are mad but don't be mad at the players. We had earlier years to lock Jalen down and did not.

Jalen is not with our team anymore, we got 2 picks for him so no point to still be mad at him but we are back to being trash again, because we let all of our good players good and are in a so called rebuild, be mad the the front office.

The problem was money just like it was for Yan, and thank God we didnt give him a new contract.  He isnt close to worth what contract he got and on top of that we got 2 1sts and a 4th on top of the money we saved.  I mean he has been a cancer for a while now and it didnt stop when he got traded and it wont stop. He was here in 2018 when we only won 5 games, and one could argue if he was even the bests corner on this team in 2017

https://www.businessinsider.com/jalen-ra...ms-2019-11

He will cost the Rams more games in the future.  Jalen is good but he definitely isnt a top 3 corner in this league.

(This post was last modified: 09-10-2020, 06:45 PM by D-Money.)

(09-10-2020, 06:24 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(09-10-2020, 06:13 PM)D-Money Wrote: We already know who and what the problem was, its our Front office (Caldwell, Marrone and/or Couglin) not the players, same reason why all of our good players were happy to leave Jacksonville. Was Jalen not one of the cornerbacks we ever had when he was just playing football? I understand yall are mad but don't be mad at the players. We had earlier years to lock Jalen down and did not.

The problem was money just like it was for Yan, and thank God we didnt give him a new contract.  He isnt close to worth what contract he got and on top of that we got 2 1sts and a 4th on top of the money we saved.  I mean he has been a cancer for a while now and it didnt stop when he got traded and it wont stop.  I mean he was here in 2018 when we only won 5 games

He will cost the Rams more games in the future.  Jalen is good but he definitely isnt a top 3 corner in this league.

It was money but when we started our 1st rebuild, what was rhe common goal for everyone and for the team? Lockdown the cornerstones/young talent,  which was Yan, Myles & Ramsey. The front office had the opportunity to do it but did not. Yan & Ramsey were producing at damn near elite levels in their 2nd year, they did not get rewarded.

Who ended up getting a reward? Bortles, who played mediocre and Myles Jack, who did not play to the level of Yan and Jalen. If you were the GM would you have not resigned both Yan & Ramsey first?

As far as up losing games, by that time the team was disgruntled and we weren't even sure who our qb was. As far as him being top 3 corner, I think you are being biased because he dislike Jalen (is he not at least top 5?) but will see this year when he is settled with a contract (that he worked for and has to be worth if someoneone paid it. I bet you no one would pay Tre Herndon any where near that.)

When Jalen is on his game, he is a different type of animal,a generational talent you gotta keep it real.
These players are kids and gm/coaches get paid to get the best out players with that type of talent, not just let him go and think it will be easy to replace him

(This post was last modified: 09-10-2020, 06:58 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(09-10-2020, 06:34 PM)D-Money Wrote:
(09-10-2020, 06:24 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: The problem was money just like it was for Yan, and thank God we didnt give him a new contract.  He isnt close to worth what contract he got and on top of that we got 2 1sts and a 4th on top of the money we saved.  I mean he has been a cancer for a while now and it didnt stop when he got traded and it wont stop.  I mean he was here in 2018 when we only won 5 games

It was money but when we started the rebuild what was rhe common goal for everyone and for the team. Lockdown the cornerstones, young talent,  which was Yan, Myles & Ramsey, the front office had the opp to do it but did not. Yan & Ramsey were producing at damn near elite levels in their 2nd year, they did not get rewarded. Who ended up getting a reward? Bortles who played mediocre and Myles Jack who did not play to the level of Yan and Jalen. If you were the GM would you have not resigned both of those players and already lock them up?

As far as up losing games, by that time the team was disgruntled and we weren't even sure who our qb was. As far as him being top 3 corner, I think you are being biased because he dislike Jalen but will see this year when he is settled with a contract (that he worked for and has to be worth if someoneone paid it. I bet you no one would pay Tre Herndon any where near that.) When Jalen is on his game, he is a different type of animal, generational talent you gotta keep it real.
These players are kids and gm/coaches get paid to get the best out players with that type of talent, not just let him go and think it will be easy to replace him
He is probably the most talented corner but not the best. I doubt his work ethic honestly and he doesnt even go to training camp with the team and the last few years his play has showed on the field for it imo compared to when he did before the 2017 season when one could argue he was the best corner in the league.  I would take Gilmore, White, Hayward, and Humphrey over him. Peters played better than Ramsey did last year after Rams traded him and traded for Ramsey.  Sherman is also a better corner but he is getting up there in age.  Id put Ramsey next on the list.  To answer the question no I wouldnt of extended Ramsey as early as he wanted the deal and as much as he wanted and it turned out the right decision.  We tried to sign Yan but he overvalued himself as he had one of the worst agents in sports, which why Yan fired him. I think A Rob is the one we really messed up on but he was coming off an ACL tear, I still wish we would of gave him a nice contract though. The Bortles contract was def a mistake and we will find out this year if the Jack one was or not when he plays his natural position.

(This post was last modified: 09-10-2020, 07:37 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

Looking at the Rams salary cap next season, this is almost a guarantee that LT Andrew Whitworth, WR Robert Woods and DT A'Shawn Robinson will be cut. I could also see RT Ron Havenstein and DE Michael Brockers on the chopping block as well. The problem is that in the 2021 draft, as it stands now, they only have a 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder, 6th rounder and 7th round picks. Their gonna have to hit on almost every one to replace the starters they will lose. They should be awarded at least one compensatory pick for the loss of Dante Fowler Jr. too. That team has painted themselves into a corner by trading away so many picks and awarding such huge contracts.

(This post was last modified: 09-10-2020, 09:15 PM by D-Money.)

(09-10-2020, 06:58 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(09-10-2020, 06:34 PM)D-Money Wrote: It was money but when we started the rebuild what was rhe common goal for everyone and for the team. Lockdown the cornerstones, young talent,  which was Yan, Myles & Ramsey, the front office had the opp to do it but did not. Yan & Ramsey were producing at damn near elite levels in their 2nd year, they did not get rewarded. Who ended up getting a reward? Bortles who played mediocre and Myles Jack who did not play to the level of Yan and Jalen. If you were the GM would you have not resigned both of those players and already lock them up?

As far as up losing games, by that time the team was disgruntled and we weren't even sure who our qb was. As far as him being top 3 corner, I think you are being biased because he dislike Jalen but will see this year when he is settled with a contract (that he worked for and has to be worth if someoneone paid it. I bet you no one would pay Tre Herndon any where near that.) When Jalen is on his game, he is a different type of animal, generational talent you gotta keep it real.
He is probably the most talented corner but not the best. I doubt his work ethic honestly and he doesnt even go to training camp with the team and the last few years his play has showed on the field for it imo compared to when he did before the 2017 season when one could argue he was the best corner in the league.  I would take Gilmore, White, Hayward, and Humphrey over him. Peters played better than Ramsey did last year after Rams traded him and traded for Ramsey.  Sherman is also a better corner but he is getting up there in age.  Id put Ramsey next on the list.  To answer the question no I wouldnt of extended Ramsey as early as he wanted the deal and as much as he wanted and it turned out the right decision.  We tried to sign Yan but he overvalued himself as he had one of the worst agents in sports, which why Yan fired him. I think A Rob is the one we really messed up on but he was coming off an ACL tear, I still wish we would of gave him a nice contract though. The Bortles contract was def a mistake and we will find out this year if the Jack one was or not when he plays his natural position.
So as a GM, you would lock down a top 5 cb given his age, potential and the fact that we drafted him, and I believe we could have given him a smaller deal then he is getting now because they all wanted to be with the team. We could have got a deal done with Yan but they cut off negotiations which then turned it into to a Ramsey like situation. 

We could have front loaded Ramsey and Yan contract still been able to pickup pieces to go with our young talent. 
it doesn't make sense to keep giving up young talent and having to restart at the same positions that we were set at.

Imagine still having A-Rob, Yan, Ramsey, Fowler, J Allen, Fournette, Myles and just working in other talent. We would be contending for years to come instead we are in a rebuild. Bottom line, Ramsey is the highest paid CB for a reason and we suck again. Give Jalen his respect he did was he wqs supposed to do here out front office just felt like he wasn't worth it. They don't feel anyone is worth besides Bortles or Foles.

(09-10-2020, 07:36 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Looking at the Rams salary cap next season, this is almost a guarantee that LT Andrew Whitworth, WR Robert Woods and DT A'Shawn Robinson will be cut.  I could also see RT Ron Havenstein and DE Michael Brockers on the chopping block as well. The problem is that in the 2021 draft, as it stands now, they only have a 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder, 6th rounder and 7th round picks. Their gonna have to hit on almost every one to replace the starters they will lose. They should be awarded at least one compensatory pick for the loss of Dante Fowler Jr. too. That team has painted themselves into a corner by trading away so many picks and awarding such huge contracts.

They were trying to win. Would rather make it to the super bowl or continue to be 7-9 8-8 every year with low salary cap and potential?

You don't push your chips all in for one year. Super bowl or bust spending destroyed the early Jaguars. You set a franchise mindset, draft for that mindset and put yourself in position to be rewarded aka Pittsburgh Model.

Good for Ramsey getting paid. I dont think he works hard enough but he isn't on my team. Rams will find a way to ignore the cap and the league will allow it. Honestly i hope they get destroyed this year so we get something better out of it.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 09-10-2020, 11:51 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(09-10-2020, 09:13 PM)D-Money Wrote:
(09-10-2020, 06:58 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: He is probably the most talented corner but not the best. I doubt his work ethic honestly and he doesnt even go to training camp with the team and the last few years his play has showed on the field for it imo compared to when he did before the 2017 season when one could argue he was the best corner in the league.  I would take Gilmore, White, Hayward, and Humphrey over him. Peters played better than Ramsey did last year after Rams traded him and traded for Ramsey.  Sherman is also a better corner but he is getting up there in age.  Id put Ramsey next on the list.  To answer the question no I wouldnt of extended Ramsey as early as he wanted the deal and as much as he wanted and it turned out the right decision.  We tried to sign Yan but he overvalued himself as he had one of the worst agents in sports, which why Yan fired him. I think A Rob is the one we really messed up on but he was coming off an ACL tear, I still wish we would of gave him a nice contract though. The Bortles contract was def a mistake and we will find out this year if the Jack one was or not when he plays his natural position.
So as a GM, you would lock down a top 5 cb given his age, potential and the fact that we drafted him, and I believe we could have given him a smaller deal then he is getting now because they all wanted to be with the team. We could have got a deal done with Yan but they cut off negotiations which then turned it into to a Ramsey like situation. 

We could have front loaded Ramsey and Yan contract still been able to pickup pieces to go with our young talent. 
it doesn't make sense to keep giving up young talent and having to restart at the same positions that we were set at.

Imagine still having A-Rob, Yan, Ramsey, Fowler, J Allen, Fournette, Myles and just working in other talent. We would be contending for years to come instead we are in a rebuild. Bottom line, Ramsey is the highest paid CB for a reason and we suck again. Give Jalen his respect he did was he wqs supposed to do here out front office just felt like he wasn't worth it. They don't feel anyone is worth besides Bortles or Foles.

(09-10-2020, 07:36 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Looking at the Rams salary cap next season, this is almost a guarantee that LT Andrew Whitworth, WR Robert Woods and DT A'Shawn Robinson will be cut.  I could also see RT Ron Havenstein and DE Michael Brockers on the chopping block as well. The problem is that in the 2021 draft, as it stands now, they only have a 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder, 6th rounder and 7th round picks. Their gonna have to hit on almost every one to replace the starters they will lose. They should be awarded at least one compensatory pick for the loss of Dante Fowler Jr. too. That team has painted themselves into a corner by trading away so many picks and awarding such huge contracts.

They were trying to win. Would rather make it to the super bowl or continue to be 7-9 8-8 every year with low salary cap and potential?

They're definitely not winning a Superbowl with a QB, DT and CB taking up all the cap and everyone else on the team only being marginal players. This isn't the NBA. You can't get away with giving 3 guys monster contracts and surrounding them with so-so talent.

(09-10-2020, 11:50 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(09-10-2020, 09:13 PM)D-Money Wrote:

They're definitely not winning a Superbowl with a QB, DT and CB taking up all the cap and everyone else on the team only being marginal players. This isn't the NBA. You can't get away with giving 3 guys monster contracts and surrounding them with so-so talent.

The QB isn't even that good, and Jalen isn't playing like a top-10 CB.