Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What do we do with Josh Dobbs, once Foles returns?

(10-22-2019, 07:17 AM)Jags32250 Wrote:
(10-21-2019, 09:20 PM)TJBender Wrote: You'd make a great GM. Sign a guy you know sucks because you don't want to spend a draft pick on a guy who's consistently played well in preseason action throughout his career.
I would, thanks!

We're laughing at you, not with you.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

With the way this O line is blocking (or rather not blocking), seems very possible we could need all of our QB's. I don't trust our line to protect the QB, and in that case, for Foles to stay healthy. Minshew is surving behind this line because of his ability to maneuver and avoid some hits. Foles could very well get hurt again. Dobbs is a good insurance policy.

I would keep all three, if possible. We don't know what is going to happen with that position after the season, and Dobbs may wind up being our #2 QB, which means we don't have to spend time trying to find one. We already spent a 5th round pick on the guy, why waste it?

You have to keep him. If we dump him before the trade deadline, we run with either a dude off the street, which we previously decided was not wise and thus traded for Dobbs, and I'm wary of bringing Foles back too early.

I still feel that Minshew is QB1 from this point forward, but Foles is a great safety net *when he is back in football form*. We paid for Dobbs both in darft capital and in salary to this point, so the loss would be minimal to keep him around. If he is good, you let him play through next preseason, and if Minshew truly is QB1, we can entertain offers for Dobbs or Foles. For all we know, if Foles is not QB1, he may retire. If Dobbs is a suitable backup, let's keep him on the squad. Not like he's crippling our cap.

Even if we wait till next year, and trade him to a team that needs a backup like we did, maybe we recoup some of the value with a future pick, even if it is a 6 or 7.

Keep him on the roster and make him an inactive on games day once Foles is back.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(10-22-2019, 08:05 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-22-2019, 07:17 AM)Jags32250 Wrote: I would, thanks!

We're laughing at you, not with you.

What’s funny is thinking this team is competitive enough to waste draft capital on a third string QB when there are so many holes to be addressed moving forward.

(This post was last modified: 10-22-2019, 10:57 AM by Kane.)

Given Foles history this isn't even a question. You hold on to him.
Next off season perhaps Foles is traded. Perhaps he retires. Perhaps Foles starts as the starter and Dobbs is your 3rd QB. (Some teams still carry 3) And perhaps you can trade him (Dobbs) when some other teams QB gets hurt or benched or whatever and recoup that 5th (or maybe a 4th or whatever)
Hell perhaps Foles comes back gets hit once and breaks something again. We'll need him.

Dobbs is our 3rd QB for the rest of the season.
It isn't a wasted pick if he's Minshew's back up next year.

(10-22-2019, 10:12 AM)Jags32250 Wrote:
(10-22-2019, 08:05 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: We're laughing at you, not with you.

What’s funny is thinking this team is competitive enough to waste draft capital on a third string QB when there are so many holes to be addressed moving forward.

They did it immediately following Foles' injury not knowing the Magic of the Minshew...

you guys hand wringing over a 5th round pick is silly.

Had we picked up a guy off the scrap heap and Minshew blew balls, you'd all be whining about how this front office didn't do enough to address the backup QB position given Foles history of being broken a lot (and also being very average on his career)

Dobbs is a promising young QB with mobility & a live arm, he's former 4th round pick (that we got for a FIFTH rounder) with 2 years of experience behind Big Ben under his belt. Unbelievably smart (Aerospace engineer at Tennessee) you absolutely hold onto him, Foles is injury prone, Gardner's been dinged up and Dobbs might be better than the majority of options that this team has brought in at QB in the past 10 years.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(10-22-2019, 10:56 AM)Kane Wrote: Given Foles history this isn't even a question. You hold on to him.
Next off season perhaps Foles is traded. Perhaps he retires. Perhaps Foles starts as the starter and Dobbs is your 3rd QB. (Some teams still carry 3) And perhaps you can trade him (Dobbs) when some other teams QB gets hurt or benched or whatever and recoup that 5th (or maybe a 4th or whatever)
Hell perhaps Foles comes back gets hit once and breaks something again. We'll need him.

(10-22-2019, 10:12 AM)Jags32250 Wrote: What’s funny is thinking this team is competitive enough to waste draft capital on a third string QB when there are so many holes to be addressed moving forward.

They did it immediately following Foles' injury not knowing the Magic of the Minshew...

Had we picked up a guy off the scrap heap and Minshew blew balls, you'd all be whining about how this front office didn't do enough to address the backup QB position given Foles history of being broken a lot (and also being very average on his career)

Just remember, there's no move the FO can make that won't bring the derision of the miserable.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(10-22-2019, 11:05 AM)Firesky Wrote: Dobbs is a promising young QB with mobility & a live arm, he's former 4th round pick (that we got for a FIFTH rounder) with 2 years of experience behind Big Ben under his belt. Unbelievably smart (Aerospace engineer at Tennessee) you absolutely hold onto him, Foles is injury prone, Gardner's been dinged up and Dobbs might be better than the majority of options that this team has brought in at QB in the past 10 years.

Hear ye, hear ye, posters of the forum! 

This post is the correct response to the OP ^

(10-22-2019, 11:05 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-22-2019, 10:56 AM)Kane Wrote: Given Foles history this isn't even a question. You hold on to him.

Just remember, there's no move the FO can make that won't bring the derision of the miserable.

INDEED!

(10-22-2019, 11:09 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-22-2019, 11:05 AM)Firesky Wrote: Dobbs is a promising young QB with mobility & a live arm, he's former 4th round pick (that we got for a FIFTH rounder) with 2 years of experience behind Big Ben under his belt. Unbelievably smart (Aerospace engineer at Tennessee) you absolutely hold onto him, Foles is injury prone, Gardner's been dinged up and Dobbs might be better than the majority of options that this team has brought in at QB in the past 10 years.

Hear ye, hear ye, posters of the forum! 

This post is the correct response to the OP ^

Haha thanks I appreciate it!

I might do a film breakdown of Josh Dobbs' time with the Steelers (there is a LOT to like!!) since the one I did about Minshew blew up beyond belief.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(10-22-2019, 10:12 AM)Jags32250 Wrote:
(10-22-2019, 08:05 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: We're laughing at you, not with you.

This from the guy who wanted to put Tanner Lee in position to be one snap away from spending two months as the Jags' starter.

The first joke was asking you about Tanner Lee. I'd tell you the second one, but you wouldn't get it.

While I eventually would like to see us get some additional draft capital back for at least one of the QBs on the roster, right now I'm more than comfortable with having two starting calibre QBs and a promising backup too. It gives us some flexibility going forward. No rush to get rid of anyone right now.

After years of being so bare at the position, it's nice to actually have some assets at QB.

I don't think we have any choice, but to keep him on the roster through 2019. I just keep him inactive once Foles returns and try to trade him in the off season. We have no idea how well Foles will work in this offense so far, since he was injured just a few passes into his stint as a starting Jacksonville QB and I'm more than fine rolling with Minshew as the backup.

(10-22-2019, 01:08 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(10-22-2019, 10:12 AM)Jags32250 Wrote: What’s funny is thinking this team is competitive enough to waste draft capital on a third string QB when there are so many holes to be addressed moving forward.

This from the guy who wanted to put Tanner Lee in position to be one snap away from spending two months as the Jags' starter.

The first joke was asking you about Tanner Lee. I'd tell you the second one, but you wouldn't get it.
If we are in the situation of deciding on a 3rd stringer, the season is over, especially with this roster. You can have your mediocre goals I’d rather save draft capital and build a sustained winning culture around here. You and your boy Dobbs can laugh at me all you want but yes, I’d still rather have Tanner Lee and a fifth round pick. Same with the Hyde trade. Sorry but the front office does make mistakes and these are two examples. You can argue but you’d be wrong. Haha haha laugh it up!

(10-22-2019, 03:05 PM)Jags32250 Wrote:
(10-22-2019, 01:08 PM)TJBender Wrote: This from the guy who wanted to put Tanner Lee in position to be one snap away from spending two months as the Jags' starter.

If we are in the situation of deciding on a 3rd stringer, the season is over, especially with this roster. You can have your mediocre goals I’d rather save draft capital and build a sustained winning culture around here. You and your boy Dobbs can laugh at me all you want but yes, I’d still rather have Tanner Lee and a fifth round pick. Same with the Hyde trade. Sorry but the front office does make mistakes and these are two examples. You can argue but you’d be wrong. Haha haha laugh it up!

Hyde was a stupid trade. Dobbs is a young QB with a bunch of impressive preseason performances under his belt. Again, this is a guy who would be starting right now for the Steelers had Mason Rudolph not been sitting there much later than they--

Know what? That second joke. You don't get it.

(10-22-2019, 04:02 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(10-22-2019, 03:05 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: If we are in the situation of deciding on a 3rd stringer, the season is over, especially with this roster. You can have your mediocre goals I’d rather save draft capital and build a sustained winning culture around here. You and your boy Dobbs can laugh at me all you want but yes, I’d still rather have Tanner Lee and a fifth round pick. Same with the Hyde trade. Sorry but the front office does make mistakes and these are two examples. You can argue but you’d be wrong. Haha haha laugh it up!

Hyde was a stupid trade. Dobbs is a young QB with a bunch of impressive preseason performances under his belt. Again, this is a guy who would be starting right now for the Steelers had Mason Rudolph not been sitting there much later than they--

Know what? That second joke. You don't get it.
Wow, you’re such a deep thinker how can I keep up?

(10-22-2019, 03:05 PM)Jags32250 Wrote:
(10-22-2019, 01:08 PM)TJBender Wrote: This from the guy who wanted to put Tanner Lee in position to be one snap away from spending two months as the Jags' starter.

I will give you that getting rid of Hyde after using a pick to get him was a waste.
The QB move was not (and I'm betting after Big Ben went down Pit was regretting sending him off)

Where is Tanner Lee playing currently, btw?
Not even on a PS squad for any team?

You know jack about [BLEEP] boy. Sit down and be quiet lol

(10-22-2019, 04:31 PM)Kane Wrote:
(10-22-2019, 03:05 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: If we are in the situation of deciding on a 3rd stringer, the season is over, especially with this roster. You can have your mediocre goals I’d rather save draft capital and build a sustained winning culture around here. You and your boy Dobbs can laugh at me all you want but yes, I’d still rather have Tanner Lee and a fifth round pick. Same with the Hyde trade. Sorry but the front office does make mistakes and these are two examples. You can argue but you’d be wrong. Haha haha laugh it up!

I will give you that getting rid of Hyde after using a pick to get him was a waste.
The QB move was not (and I'm betting after Big Ben went down Pit was regretting sending him off)

Where is Tanner Lee playing currently, btw?
Not even on a PS squad for any team?

You know jack about [BLEEP] boy. Sit down and be quiet lol
Tanner Lee is awful, that’s not the point.